shape
carat
color
clarity

Suggestions for pearl pendant size?

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
After owning several strands of Freshwaters and Tahitians, I think it's finally the time to dip my toes into South Sea Pearls...I would like to get a pendant to start first, since I will get more wear out of it , plus at this point I am not sure if I love SSP enough to commit to buying a strand.

To all the lovely PSers out there, what would be a suitable size for daily wear? And baroque or round? Ideally it would be a piece that I can wear at the office and perhaps transition to dinner (somewhere midscale, not high end restaurants).

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i'm not the pearl expert here. but for me it is tied to age.
younger women usually wear smaller pearls; older women usually wear larger.
that's what i've read and that is my experience for myself.
small pearls look silly on me. i am 64.
personally, i think such a purchase would be nice to be able to worn no matter what age so i tend to go larger rather than smaller as a gift.
what is larger?
anything 10mm or bigger.
not sure if i'm of help or not and perhaps others will now chime in.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Alexiszoe, You already own South Sea pearls. Tahitians are black south sea pearls. Are you going to buy an enhancer or just a pendant. If the enhancer will be worn on one of your strands, you may want a pearl larger than your pearls in the front of the strands. Have you gone to a store which sells south sea pearls to try some on? It may be helpful to making the decision. My first Tahitian enhancer was a smooth drop and 10x13mm I could wear it as a pendant, on a omega chain or on a strand of pearls. If it had just been a pendant it would not have been so flexable. I hope you love your new pearl what ever color you choose.

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
moviezombie,

thanks, your comment on being able to wear it at any age and buying bigger than smaller really struck a chord with me. I want to be able to wear it as time goes by, and not realize that 10 years from now it would be considered too small!

Nacrelover,

thanks for correcting me about Tahitians being SSPs. I am thinking of either white, or a medium/dark gold SSP as an enhancer. Right now I am undecided on color (both look equally appealing to me). As for size some years back when I was looking at tahitians I remember falling in love with a 15mm drop pendant, but I am not sure if I fell in love because of the metallic lustre, size or everything else! I don't really see much stock from PP or POJ in this size range or anywhere else, which vendors would you suggest I approach for this little project?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I would call PP. They only have a fraction of their stock on the site. They can email you a picture of a selection of what you are looking for so you can make a decision. I am sure they have bags full as I just took photos of them in July. There were many more we didn't see.

box_of_ss.jpg

large_selection.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I own an enhancer for Kojima Pearls that is similar to this one, and I love it. Probably because mine is a soft buttery color that just looks awesome against my skin. Mine is set in sterling, but I wear it on various chains and it looks great. It is a nice size as well. I'm sure I won't be able to go back to a pearl pendant that is 10mm or under.

http://kojimapearl.myshopify.com/products/south-sea-baroque-pearl-enhancer

kdp1570_kdj800_1_large.jpg

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Nacrelover,

thanks for the suggestions! Those pearls look gorgeous :love: When I see something shiny I simply cannot resist...probably explains my love of diamonds and pearls :naughty:

Fly Girl,

the enhancer from Kojima pearls is lovely! You ladies are just terrible enablers!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
love that enhancer!
i'd want it in silver, too.
yes, enablers we be!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I also suggest around 10-12mm. While "seems" large, once around your neck it looks proportionate.

Let us know what you end up with!

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results