shape
carat
color
clarity

Starting a budget for Tahitians -- would love advice!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey there Pearl Aficionados!

I recently had a "realization" that I want a beautiful strand of Tahitian pearls 8) In the spirit of PS, I'd like to do as much research as possible before spending money. Plus, I need to build up my budget...

I'd love to get advice on the best way to go about buying what I have in mind, which is --

- Tahitian baroque pearls (but not too baroque, I'd like them to be fairly smooth)
- Lots of color, especially green (is it called peacock?) overtones, maybe also purples, silvers... colorful
- Size of pearls not terribly important, but from looking at photos, it seems that the really striking and beautiful Tahitians tend to be fairly big...
- Not sure about the length yet. Maybe fairly short (16-17 inches) is all I can afford. But a rope that I could double or triple... that would be incredible.

Are there any good threads in the Pearl sub-forum that I should read for educational purposes?

Would you guys be able to give me a ballpark estimate of how much I should be budgeting? I'm guessing it will run me over $1500? A lot more?

Is there a particular seller I should contact about this? I gather (from reading recent threads here) that the big sellers have a lot more in their inventory than what they list online. If I do contact someone, how should I describe what I'm looking for to make sure I get exactly what I want?

Would it make sense to wait for a major sale (when might the next one be?) before buying?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On a separate note, here are some photos of 7.5-8mm silver-blue akoyas I got from PP last week :bigsmile: I love how shiny the pearls are. I debated for a while whether to keep or return because I think the silver color is too close to white... so in essence this strand is neither a fancy color, nor white. And I could put the $300 towards the Tahitians I really want... but in the end I decided to keep it. I love the shape of the pearls, and the shininess (what's the technical term? luster? Sorry, I'm such a n00b ::) ). And the size is nice. I hope to wear them a lot this summer.

_7036.jpg

_7037.jpg

_7038.jpg

_7039.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
GemFever -- Well, you probably know that PP is having a 35% off sale on Tahitian 50 inch ropes. I bought one and I'm very happy with it. There are two unsold necklaces left. Jeremy is making them himself. If you call or use their chat feature, you could ask if he can make another multi-colored one since that one is sold (I would have bought that one but had already bought an evenly colored Tahitian rope). He is around this week and then headed to Hong Kong. I don't think you'll find a better price on long baroque ropes. My rope has well over 100 pearls. You could also wait, explore, research and jump on the next sale or a necklace you fall in love with. There is no hurry... there are always more pearls!

Good luck and keep us posted!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm looking at this listing:

http://www.pearlparadise.com/50inch-80118-mm-Multicolor-Tahitian-Baroque-Pearl-Necklace4885.aspx

The price is great, but the pearls are fairly light in color... I'm guessing if I wanted more saturated colors, the price would quickly skyrocket? Maybe I should use the chat feature and ask a PP representative. I'm just not confident enough yet that I know exactly what I want... would I rather have a 50 inch necklace with colors and shapes I'm not absolutely in love with, or an 18 inch strand where I'd be drooling over every single pearl? Not sure. Need more PS education :rodent:

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
That's the one I would have jumped on if I hadn't just bought another rope! That one is sold. You can use their chat feature to see if he could make another one with colors you like. Or you can just wait and keep looking around and getting to know what appeals to you most. I don't think it's necessarily an either/or. You either get a rope your're not in love with or a shorter strand you are in love with... But maybe it's too soon for you to know what you really want.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It definitely doesn't have to be either/or! I just want to really be prepared. I think I need to see some Tahitians IRL. Where would I go to do that, I wonder...

mynattk

Shiny_Rock
Hey GemFever!

I see you have checked out the goods at Pearl Paradise. A couple of other sites you might want to browse are TahitianPearls.biz and PearlOasis.com

Something from TahitianPearls.biz:
http://www.tahitianpearls.biz/tahitian-pearl-necklace/colorful-tahitian-pearl-necklace-tnmy.htm

Something from Pearl Oasis:
http://www.pearloasis.com/cgi-bin/catalognew.cgi?IDNUM=20120711146365&COMMAND=detail

http://www.pearloasis.com/cgi-bin/catalognew.cgi?IDNUM=20121103093944&COMMAND=detail

Look at LOTS of necklaces and you'll find the one for you. I think the necklace just has to call your name. Good luck on your search and keep us updated!

ETA:

Oops... I forgot to add these:

DruzyDesign, a well known and reputable eBay vendor has a couple of insanely gorgeous strands. Go check those out, you will be droooooling :cheeky:

(well, now I see the one I was lusting over was sold: http://www.ebay.com/itm/47-GORGEOUS...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 but you get the idea... purples, greens, blues!)

PearlSociety on eBay also occasionally has some pretty strands. There are several people here who have purchased from them with good results.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi mynattk! Thanks so much for posting the links ! It was actually your Tahitian pearl necklace that I'm using as my inspiration :)) I love the light blue, and the green, the purplish, the beige one (cafe au lait, I guess)... the silvery one... I pretty much love your necklace :love:

I really like the items in Druzydesign's shop. I'll keep an eye on them, maybe they'll post something close to what I'm looking for.

I'd also like to see some Tahitians IRL before I spend a sizeable chunk of money... do major jewelry stores carry quality pearls? I wouldn't even know where to start looking. Any ideas?

mynattk

Shiny_Rock
How cool! :bigsmile: Well, the only B&M store I can think of that even carries Tahitian pearls is NaHoku and they are few and far between. I don't think they'd have what you're looking for, but you might be able to see a couple of Tahitians in real life. Fortunately, most reputable online vendors have a great return policy if you buy a necklace and don't care for it (unless you're out of their country, in which case shipping back could make it not worth it).

One important factor to consider is the amount of surface flaws you're willing to put up with in your strand. My strand is baroque, circled, and has flaws that I'm sure would make some people go :knockout: The colors were just so fantastic, though... that was what made me love it. I also don't mind the funky shapes. Some people only want round or near-round. It's just such a personal thing. I am so excited for you, I know some strand out there is going to grab you and not let go!

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
mynattk -- thanks, I'm pretty excited ::) I can't wait to "meet" my Tahitians! But I'm ready to be patient, because I want to get a really long-term rope from the start. I'm back to thinking that I should return the silver blue akoyas and put that money towards my budget.

4RanchGirl -- thanks for your advice. I think I might have to contact the sellers about unlisted pearls. I'm still a little nervous about it (I need to know what I'm talking about when I write), so I'll wait a little and look around.

K9

Brilliant_Rock
I'd also add that you should try a few different strands when you purchase. You may find that what you *think* you like, doesn't like you. When I was shopping for my strand, I thought I wanted one thing, but ended up falling in love with something completely different because it looked so much better against my skin.

So, my advise would be to see if you can have a few of varying colors sent to you, then select. Good luck!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
K9|1370962408|3463386 said:
I'd also add that you should try a few different strands when you purchase. You may find that what you *think* you like, doesn't like you. When I was shopping for my strand, I thought I wanted one thing, but ended up falling in love with something completely different because it looked so much better against my skin.

So, my advise would be to see if you can have a few of varying colors sent to you, then select. Good luck!

K9 -- thanks for that advice! It's very good advice, too. I thought I'd be over the moon with the silver blue akoyas, but they look washed out against my skin. Mind if I ask what kind of Tahitians you initially wanted, and what kind you ended up falling in love with?

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
K9, I hope you don't mind I researched your threads and saw a post where you say you initially wanted peacock (greens) but found that aubergine (purple) looks better against your skin. That's very good to think about! Btw, I *love* your collection!

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
GemFever|1370956467|3463330 said:
I'm back to thinking that I should return the silver blue akoyas and put that money towards my budget.

I would think on it before sending those lovely silver blue akoyas back! Those beauties are coveted by many :love: I love my 36" 7.5-8mm rope and it is so very different from Tahitians, so owning both should not be a worry! I think you might regret sending it back.

screen_shot_2013-05-24_at_9.png

I have fair skin and blond hair and I am saving for a Tahitian strand to match my Kamoka Studs which are dark green w/peacock. I first fell in love with the pistachio tahitians but they looked terrible on me.

screen_shot_2013-04-28_at_9.png

Since you have to save up it will give you plenty of time to think on what you really want. Head over to PG and look on their Tahitians thread...many lovely inspiration strands to ogle :naughty:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks LitGeek! The more I think about these beautiful pearls, the less patient I'm becoming :shock: I'm just imagining all the aubergines and greens and bluish tones... so perfect for the summer!

Chatting with a PP representative right now ::)

LitGeek, how would you say the pistachio Tahitians compared to the silver blue akoyas? Can they even be compared? I wish I could keep everything, but I'm beginning to think that to get the Tahitian rope of my dreams, I'm going to need to spend a good deal of money. And once I have that strand... I may never reach for the silver-blue akoyas... ? Hmm... choices, choices!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I'm wearing my green-peacock Tahitian drop strand today with a bright yellow sweater. The green and pink colors really pop against yellow or red clothing. I would never wear my silver-blue akoyas with these tops. Just all wrong.

I love my silver-blue akoya strand when I am wearing about any shade of blue, particularly the deep blues or blacks. They also look great with white or pale pink, blue or lavender tops.

So you see, I vary my jewelry with my wardrobe choices of the day. I think that you will find that silver-blue akoyas are not interchangable with Tahitians. I have literally taken clothes out of my closet and held the strands up to them. My eyes tell me right away what works. It saves time when getting dressed in the mornings.

Good luck. :wavey:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Fly Girl! Interesting that you say they're not interchangeable, I actually thought the opposite. Hmmmm... maybe I should wait before going through with the return then.

I just got off the chat with Kim at PP, she'll put together a possible 50" strand for me, I should have some pics in a couple days. I hope this works out! ... yup, so much for being patient. I lied, I suck at being patient! :nono:

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Here are the pistachio tahitians...nowhere near close to the color of the sb akoyas. They were incredibly beautiful though!

kamoka_pistachio_earrings.jpg

Congrats on your new tahitian rope! I hope you love it :appl:

mynattk

Shiny_Rock
Oh, I hope you don't send your blue akoyas back! A strand of those has been on my wish list for quite some time and since my DH didn't quite get the hint this year for our anniversary, I'm still waiting. ;( On the other hand, Tahitians can be pricey, so I don't envy you having to choose.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the photo LitGeek!

mynattk... I've had a hard time deciding with the silver-blue strand. Going back and forth. Even my DH, who usually encourages me to return everything (I've returned quite a few pieces, never pearls though. Usually diamonds from ebay) told me I should keep it. I'm glad the return window for PP is so long. I'll wait to get a quote on the 50" Tahitian strand, and see if my budget can fit both.

Btw, what's the difference between a "strand" and a "rope"? I see most people saying "rope" here, but the PP listings say strand.

Also, the more I look at photos of Tahitians in this forum, the more convinced I'm becoming that there's no way I can stop at just one. But I can't afford more than one right now, so I need my first strand to last me a while ::)

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
GemFever -- I'm having fun following your journey! My advice is NOT to return your blue akoya strand. I believe you will regret it. The color and length are really lovely on you. And the fact that DH says to keep it... well, that is saying a lot. A strand of those are on my wishlist, too. Or should I say my mile-long wishlist! If you bought them from PP, you have 90 days to return them so wear them and get to know each other. A Tahitian rope will NOT substitute for that strand! The more you have, alas, the more you want. Right, Ladies?!

A "rope" is just a long strand. According to PP's website, 37" or longer qualifies as being a "rope".

Please share the pictures you get so we can go along for the ride... weeeeeee....!

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Being petite and very slender I consider a rope any strand 30" or longer. I would still call a rope a strand though...a string of pearls if you like. Both of my akoya ropes are 36". One is white with silver overtones, while the other is silver-blue, and the colors are miles apart. My next rope will be black akoyas and I will probably get a 32". One you get started buying pearls I don't think you can stop :lol: Listen to DH and keep your beautiful akoyas :naughty:

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
Two separate deals for sure and I'd not send back those akoyas just yet. I'd even consider ordering the Tahitian, getting it and seeing how different the two are when you have them both in your hands. One might capture your heart more than the other. I'd certainly push for seeing the two together if at all possible so you can evaluate and make an informed decision. Either way though, you can't go wrong!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GemFever|1370975181|3463544 said:
Thanks Fly Girl! Interesting that you say they're not interchangeable, I actually thought the opposite. Hmmmm... maybe I should wait before going through with the return then.

I just got off the chat with Kim at PP, she'll put together a possible 50" strand for me, I should have some pics in a couple days. I hope this works out! ... yup, so much for being patient. I lied, I suck at being patient! :nono:

Wow, can't wait to see what PP puts together for you. Agree that you may want to see the 2 strands side by side to decide which look works better for you if keeping both is not in the budget. As far as pearl size, bigger is always better :bigsmile:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gals, I got a photo!

What do you think? It looks beautiful to me. But I'd be glad to get your opinions :) I would get this strand for the sale price of the 50" strand that's currently on their site (but that one is sold).

_7128.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
How about, I am envious...?! It's gorgeous!!! But what do you think?! That is ultimately the only thing that matters. PP has such a huge quantity of high quality merchandise that they can easily throw together a piece like this for you. Amazing.

Keep us posted!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks bsomlo! I replied to Kim that I'd like to go ahead with this strand. I will only know for sure whether I love it when I see it in person, but I have a good feeling that I'll be smitten ::)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results