shape
carat
color
clarity

Starting a budget for Tahitians -- would love advice!

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
That's fantastic! The pearls are so green and shiny in that shot. Gorgeous!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow these look spectacular :love: :love: :love: . The colors and luster are amazing. Congrats ! Wear them often!

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
KEEPERS is all I can say :appl: :appl: :appl: They are beautiful and look wonderful on you. What fun you are going to have with these beauties.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh, I love them!! The colors, the luster, the length :love: ! They look as though they will go with so many outfits. Congratulations on a fabulous buy!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks so much baby monster, 4Ranch Girl, and baby nurse!

I'm really loving the pearls, but having a really hard time with the weight. I really hope this won't turn into a favorite $1+K strand of pearls that I never wear because of weight :???: I need to adjust to it already! But all I want to do is take the weight off my neck. Yikes.

jenncent

Shiny_Rock
Trade
these are fantastic!!!! I am a loss for words. I think they look incredible though! I hope you enjoy them immensely.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
GemFever -- In (baroque tahitian rope) sisterhood I just put mine on. I tied the back with blue yarn. I'll see how that feels over the course of a few hours. In my pictures my pearls look completely silver -- like cold steel. A few hours ago when I peeked at them they were powder blue. Little devils. I'll report back regarding if this solves the "chokey" issue.

I like the weight of them and am sorry to hear that you feel uncomfortable. I'd say try them out for a few days -- but don't let our admiration of your pearls talk you into keeping something you're not in love with!

trial_tying_of_baroque_tahitian_rope.jpg

baroque_tahitian_rope_tripled.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
The yarn worked well to keep the strands in place -- I just have to find something more elegant that doesn't damage the pearls! I still can't believe how steely cold silver they looked tonight.

GemFever, keep us posted on your thoughts.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
Oh jeebus!!! Now I need a strand.

Poor Mr K's credit card.....

They are absolutely stunning!!! Great purchase!

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock

bsomlo,

What are the specs on your tahitian strand? Are they a PP purchase?

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
bsomlo|1371270789|3466311 said:
The yarn worked well to keep the strands in place -- I just have to find something more elegant that doesn't damage the pearls! I still can't believe how steely cold silver they looked tonight.

PP actually sells a clasp for this purpose, but I think the tahitians are too big. Worth asking them though, it comes in white or yellow gold and must be safe if they're selling it. Downside? It only anchors two strands.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
bsomlo|1371258022|3466189 said:
GemFever -- In (baroque tahitian rope) sisterhood I just put mine on. I tied the back with blue yarn. I'll see how that feels over the course of a few hours. In my pictures my pearls look completely silver -- like cold steel. A few hours ago when I peeked at them they were powder blue. Little devils. I'll report back regarding if this solves the "chokey" issue.

I like the weight of them and am sorry to hear that you feel uncomfortable. I'd say try them out for a few days -- but don't let our admiration of your pearls talk you into keeping something you're not in love with!

Firstly-WOW. These guys are shape shifters! They're GORGEOUS but don't look like your strand at all. I've experienced the same, but it's fascinating.

Secondly-I agree about the weight. I personally love it-look for it even. But if it's not you-don't feel pressured to keep it.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you so much for your advice and nice words everyone!

I'm currently traveling, or I'd post more pics.

I'm getting used to the weight and I'm definitely keeping the Tahitians. Not sure abou the akoyas, but the Tahitians are MINE and here to stay :bigsmile: They are just perfect, and so beautiful. And if they feel too heavy or too rich (I'm a casual dresser) ill take the 50" strand apart and make myself a smaller necklace, and maybe a necklace for my mom.

I will be posting more pics as I try to capture some of the colors. Maybe in a couple days -- off to visit my folks now and don't have my big camera with me.

Btw, I'm using bsomlo's method with the string in the back, it's working perfectly. ::)

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Yay :appl: :appl: Your tahitians are absolutely lovely! Enjoy them :twirl:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
mrs. taylor|1371296899|3466383 said:
bsomlo|1371270789|3466311 said:

PP actually sells a clasp for this purpose, but I think the tahitians are too big. Worth asking them though, it comes in white or yellow gold and must be safe if they're selling it. Downside? It only anchors two strands.

I purchased that clasp during their winter holiday discount sale to use with my Kojima rope because the strands would never stay in place. I was always ending up with one loop going really long and the other choking me at the neck. The first couple of times I put the clasp on, it popped right off. :shock: The clasp itself does not close securely and the safety clasp is very thin and pops open readily. I'm too nervous to leave the house wearing this clasp. I don't want to end up losing a $100 piece of hardware.

ppclasp_5074.jpg

ppclasp_5075.jpg

ppclasp_5076.jpg

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
Woah. Have you contacted them? You may have gotten a dud. $100 is way too much (IMO) for something to not work.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
GemFever -- I'm glad the string/yarn method is working for you!

Fly Girl -- Thanks for the head's up on that clasp! I wondered if it was too small for this purpose and if it opens easily, it won't work.

misskittycat -- (Hope you are feeling better.) Yes, this is one of the current PP Specials. Stats: 50-inch AA+ 8.4-11.6 mm Tahitian Baroque Pearl Necklace. I asked for a very light rope -- so mine is very different from GemFever's. The pearls are uniform in color and silver/powder blue. When I saw the multicolored strands hit the website, I was envious. But I really like my sneaky frosty color-shifting strand!

Mrs. Taylor -- I know! Last night the necklace looked like a totally different necklace! It didn't look like the same pearls at all. Absolutely fascinating.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Flygirl,
I have the same pearl shortener from PP. It is more hardy than you think. From what I can see in your last picture, you either have a defective fastening part or it's been clamped somehow or pressed too hard in the wrong spot that the metal bent. That's why it keeps popping off. Mine isn't like that at all. It's more like a bottle with a slim neck/belly in the middle.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
bsomlo|1371306827|3466435 said:
Mrs. Taylor -- I know! Last night the necklace looked like a totally different necklace! It didn't look like the same pearls at all. Absolutely fascinating.

I agree. Most pearls shift colors in different lightings. Some colors look better in indirect light and washed out in direct sun like most FW. Then some do the opposite or look vibrant in almost all lighting conditions. Ladies, enjoy your beautiful pearls in whatever lighting and thank those oysters, mussels, farmers, and those who make it possible to sell them to us.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
HHPmom|1371307170|3466439 said:
Flygirl,
I have the same pearl shortener from PP. It is more hardy than you think. From what I can see in your last picture, you either have a defective fastening part or it's been clamped somehow or pressed too hard in the wrong spot that the metal bent. That's why it keeps popping off. Mine isn't like that at all. It's more like a bottle with a slim neck/belly in the middle.
Mine looks like a rather misshapen bottle, doesn't it? I'll go ahead and contact PP about it. Thank you, all.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Well hello beautiful Kojima rope! Wow! Wow! Wow! Gorgeous pearls Fly Girl :appl: :appl:

bsomlo love your silver tahitians and the fact that they shift colors :twirl: Thanks ladies for posting the photos of your gorgeous pearls...I love seeing all of the variety in colors. :twirl:

Agneau

Shiny_Rock
Gemfever, I am glad you liked them and decided to keep them. They look nice on you and I love them triple wrapped. This is a nice and fun thread to read.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you jenncent, misskittycat, LitGeek, and Agneau!

Bsomlo -- love your rope. Mine is also hard to photograph to get the color correctly, so I can just imagine how tricky yours must be. I bet it's so lovely in person!

Fly Girl -- I hope you can get that clasp replaced! Beautiful pearls :))

Got a couple more snapshots today. 8)

5-3.jpg

6-2.jpg

img_1065-2.jpg

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
Fly Girl, I just LOVE your Kojima strand!

Gem Fever, the more I see of your Tahitian strand, the more I want one of my own. I think that's going on my Christmas list (likely the next time I'll get a present this year)! It's just gorgeous!

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
GemFever your new tahitians look magnificent with your outfit...those colors really make them pop :wavey:

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
They are SO BEAUTIFUL! I hope you get years and years of enjoyment out of them. They look fantastic on you!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GemFever, keep the pictures coming! I love the variety of colors in your strand, and the luster is just beautiful! I would looooove to order one of these babies, it must be so versatile with your wardrobe!

FlyGirl, I meant to add this yesterday... I have that same pearl shortener and it works great. I think yours must be defective and I wonder if PP could do something about it since it's been like that since you got it. Perhaps worth inquiring?

mynattk

Shiny_Rock
Congrats GemFever! I see hours and hours of pearly entertainment in your future just looking at each of your pretty little beauties. It looks great tripled. So, are we tempting you to buy anything else these days or are you going to "be good" for a while and just enjoy your beautiful Tahitian rope? :naughty:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks so much everyone!

I am going to get many hours (and hopefully years) of enjoyment out of them. When I'm home with my DSLR, I'll take pics of the various color pearls and post them ::)

mynattk -- I have to be good for now. I still have to pay for a custom french-cut band, it'll be pricey. But I'm so glad I splurged on these Tahitians, they are so fun! That siad... I did buy this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/140987862386?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

:naughty:

mynattk

Shiny_Rock
Ha ha... bad girl, good choice! :halo:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results