shape
carat
color
clarity

Small size mm akoya rope

EAB

Rough_Rock
I'm wondering if anyone could post pictures of small size mm ropes. I've been contemplating a 6.0-6.5 mm akoya rope for a while. I have ropes in the 7.5-8.0 range already. I really like the look of small pearls in a long rope. However, I want the look to be deliberately small, not like I'm wearing pearls I've "outgrown" if that makes sense. I am small and thin, but not young!
Pictures or advice would be appreciated.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Hi EAB I don't have any photos but have you considered metallic freshwaters? They all all nacre and the good ones are beautiful, the down side may be they might not be as perfectly rounded as akoyas.

EAB

Rough_Rock
Actually one of my larger ropes is metallic freshwaters, which I wear quite often. I have two other shorter strands of metallics as well. So I was thinking of akoyas for this one. Thank you for your reply Lovinggems!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Hope someone else can find some visuals for you.
I am thinking of getting a triple row strand of small metallic freshwaters and a single short strand to hang enhancer pendants with.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not sure what you want in a photo ... I have a vintage double strand of white baroque Akoyas, opera length. They are around 6.5 - 7 mm. They appear better matched in person than they do in the photo.

Neck shots would be pointless because I am tall and ... sturdy. :)

pearls_002.jpg

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I also have a 64" rope of 6-7 mm freshwater rounds. I love it. The smaller mm size knots easily, and the shape is sensual and fluid (lots of rolling!).

EAB

Rough_Rock
Ennui-Thank you. Those are lovely, do you wear this size often?
Lovinggems- A triple metallic sounds nice, what size are you thinking? You're no doubt familiar with metallics, but for what it's worth my smaller metallics, one 7.0-7.5 (20 inch) and 7.5-8.0 (35 inch) have much better luster than my 8.0-8.5 (16 inch.) All are AAA. I'm not sure if it's the smaller size or the luster I'm drawn to, maybe both, but I rarely wear the 16 inch.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I was thinking the smallest size they had on Pearl Paradise's website.
Re your 8 to 8.5mm you're right maybe it's the luster or you may just prefer a longer length necklace.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
EAB|1429929832|3867447 said:
Ennui-Thank you. Those are lovely, do you wear this size often?

Because it's a double strand, I usually save it for special occasions. And, due to my local climate, I wear pearl pendants and tin cups more than anything else.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
EAB, little h , Pearl collective has a baby freshwater collection. 2-3mm pearls. Necklace or multi stand .

_29591.jpg

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Have you seen this post on PP's blog? The pics show a few different pearl ropes: 5.5-6.0mm, 6.5-7.0mm and 7.5-8.0. These 100" ropes are probably longer than you want, but the pics might still be useful in giving you a better idea of how different sizes look on different people. The comments at the bottom of the post even include the models' heights. :))

http://blog.pearlparadise.com/2013/06/how-to-wear-100-inch-pearl-ropes/

EAB

Rough_Rock
Thank you all, the visuals are most helpful.
NacreLover- Is the Little H rope a current picture? I looked on the website and couldn't find it.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Actually it was at the mrs pearl paradise blog so the item may be A Pearl paradise piece. Hisano is both little h and Pearl paradise.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
My ropes are mostly 7-8mm and 48 inches. I like the larger pearls in a short necklace but smaller pearls in a rope.

If it's a rope, I don't think 6-6.5 will have that "juvenile look" that some of us find with smaller pearls on a short necklace. I might try a smaller one too. 7-8mm is getting to seem like a lot of pearls for the very casual clothes I usually wear, especially in the summertime. Even smaller would probably look better with shorts, for example (in my opinion, of course).

I don't think I'd get an akoya rope because I like to tie a knot in my necklace and I wouldn't trust them to not get damaged from the knotting. But if you got, say, a 36 inch rope, that's not too long to just wear straight when not worn doubled (on me, anyway).

Or if you're unsure maybe you could compromise and get something in between the 7.5-8 you're used to and the 6.0-6.5. Maybe 6.5-7.0mm, or 7.0-7.5mm?

renwea

Shiny_Rock
I have a 35 inch 5-6mm metallic rope from PP, and a 50 inch oval 5mm from PP that I wear together and seperately. Love them , they are very light weight and don't take much room to take along traveling.

_29634.jpg

_29635.jpg

_29636.jpg

EAB

Rough_Rock
Thanks Sea Urchin. Maybe I should order two sizes to be sure.
Renwea, wow those are gorgeous on you! They look so much larger than 5-6 mm. Are the ovals metallic? Amazing luster. Thank you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results