shape
carat
color
clarity

Small loose pearls-recommendations, please?

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone!

I'm new to this part of the board and also new to buying pearls.

My mother wants to buy my niece a pair of smallish birthstone pearls for her first birthday that she can put away to be set when she is a little older. She figures if she gets a pair of pearls, my niece could choose earrings or a ring/pendant combination down the road. The budget is not huge, maybe $50-$75. I think quality would be more important to her than size. Also, if these are not going to be set for some time, is it still a good idea to have them predrilled?

These were the ones we were looking at, but not sure if there is something better out there?
http://www.pearlparadise.com/Loose-White-Akoya-Pearl1637.aspx

I would appreciate any input-thank you!

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Siamese Kitty,

If these pearls are intended to last for a substantial period of time, I might just go with the Freshadamas from PP or Gem Grade Freshwaters from POJ instead, because of the thickness of the nacre of freshwater pearls vs Akoyas. Also, I have seen the luster of these pearls and it can certainly give the Akoyas a run for their money!

Re: drilling, I am not sure, perhaps some other experts might want to chime in on that.

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Alexiszoe :wavey:

Thank you for your response. So this is going to seem like a silly question...would the nacre be compromised over time if the pearls are not being worn?

Actually, my husband bought his mother a Freshadama set for her birthday a few years back and they are gorgeous. I'm not sure if I'll sell my mom on freshwaters, but definitely food for thought!

Could you tell me what POV is? Thank you again!

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Siamese Kitty,

nacre will probably not be worn out if it is unworn, however, it is probably less likely to last wear over time than Freshwaters due to the thinness of the nacre of Akoyas vs Freshwaters, which is pure nacre.

POJ = Pearls of Joy, another vendor.

I have bought from both Pearl Paradise and POJ, and they were both great to work with. One thing I noticed about the Freshadamas vs POJ Gem Grade Freshwaters was the Freshadamas were more round, while the POJ one has slightly sharper luster and orient.

You might consider emailing each vendor and ask them to take pictures, or select some pearls based on what you are looking for or is most important to you. :)

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Alexiszoe|1338024626|3204140 said:
Siamese Kitty,

nacre will probably not be worn out if it is unworn, however, it is probably less likely to last wear over time than Freshwaters due to the thinness of the nacre of Akoyas vs Freshwaters, which is pure nacre.

POJ = Pearls of Joy, another vendor.

I have bought from both Pearl Paradise and POJ, and they were both great to work with. One thing I noticed about the Freshadamas vs POJ Gem Grade Freshwaters was the Freshadamas were more round, while the POJ one has slightly sharper luster and orient.

You might consider emailing each vendor and ask them to take pictures, or select some pearls based on what you are looking for or is most important to you. :)

Thank you again, Alexiszoe! This is good information. I'm going to contact these vendors this week .

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results