shape
carat
color
clarity

Singapore Jewellery & Gem Fair 2013

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
YC|1381762012|3537483 said:
Yes, I was looking at the loose Tahitians and some strands. The keshis were quite large but the overtones were okay only against my skin.
Think there was at least one other couple looking at the SS. Did u see any shop esp the japanese ones selling loose settings for pearls. Some of the japanese designs r very pretty. I am trying my best not to return tomorrow so I may reach my credit card limit

I think I will return tmr... may not buy, but no harm looking right?

No I didn't find any loose settings for pearls. Was looking too! Rather disappointed with that.
Having been busy surfing/searching for settings for my various loose pearls since Saturday.

I did like the simple necklaces at Aurora Trading and bought an adjustable gold chain.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for posting all these gorgeous pearls! :appl: :love:

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I do so love the mirror surface on that blue/pink/white/SS pendant ! It's so beautiful...you really made some excellent choices!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Ok, popped by the Fair for a quick visit today (last day) but didn't get anything new.
Went really cos I couldn't get the natural white akoya strands from Shinyu Co Ltd out of my mind, and not that I intended to find/buy any other pearls. I mean, if I miss this, I'll have to wait like almost a year before the next jewellery fair ya?

Did manage some not great snaps as the light was pulsating? It gave bands of dark and light patches across the pic. But hopefully you can still see the subtle colour differences.

Forgot to label the natural multis on the left:

If you have fair skin/undertone like most PS-ers from US & Australia for example, or simply have 'Spring' coloration, I think normal akoyas may actually suit your complexion better just cos the slight pinkness will probably look great on you. On my tanned Asian/Chinese complexion however, the natural whites looked so much better it's actually quite a surprise.

Left empty handed cos I couldn't see myself wearing double or triple strands of the smaller sizes (I tried) and I couldn't justify getting a larger size strand (not at that price point and definitely not when I haven't gotten my wSSP strand yet). If Shinyu brought some natural white studs, I would probably get a pair tho. Maybe next year then... btw, I've only waxed lyrical about Shinyu's akoyas but they really have tahitians and interesting baroque SSPs. You can see examples from this site: http://www.jewellerynetasia.com/shinyu_ltd/en/Products.html

==============================================================
That's it, so my final loots from the Singapore Jewellery & Gem Fair 2013:

Not a bad haul. :D

@katbran: Thanks!

@JaneSmith: Most welcome!

img_9198.jpg

img_9200.jpg

img_9248.jpg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl: I took some close-ups of the pearls that looked more interesting. ::)
Typically not into peacock strands so this might be my only one for a long time (ok, half peacock cos it's so mixed). ;))

I really like the circled one, flaws and all:

My inspirations for getting this strand:
Fly Girl's harvest strand from Kamoka: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/kamoka-harvest-strand-and-bracelet-my-holy-grail-pieces.192237/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/kamoka-harvest-strand-and-bracelet-my-holy-grail-pieces.192237/[/URL]
Misskittycat's from Hinata/Andy Muller: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/hinata-andy-muller-baroque-tahitian-strand-from-hong-kong.193572/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/hinata-andy-muller-baroque-tahitian-strand-from-hong-kong.193572/[/URL]

img_9260.jpg

img_9262.jpg

img_2344.jpg

img_9264.jpg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
My biggest (soon-to-be) earrings ever:

(Taken in natural light)

I bought the drops mostly cos I figured they sorta go with the strand, and mostly like why ever not? :lol:

img_9233.jpg

img_9235.jpg

img_9271.jpg

img_9272.jpg

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great purchases all around. Thanks for posting so many pictures. I really like looking at what's available outside US like those mixed pearl and metal necklaces. I've been looking for something like that but don't see in stores or online. No idea what tai-tai means but those necklaces are calling my name.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Icy your haul is FABULOUS :love: :love: :love: :appl: :appl: :appl: Have you decided what clasp to use on your harvest rope? I like your idea of going with the mystery clasp! Your new T drops are going to be magnificent with your rope! What size mm are your new and old T studs?

I am holding out for wSS over natural white akoyas here too, although I would like a strand of natural whites at some point. There definitely is a color difference between the traditional akoya and the natural whites...I think the naturals are more of a candlelight color... not quite white but definitely not cream/ivory either. I have a strand of vintage akoyas that were my great grandmothers that I really need to clean, restring, and replace the clasp. The strand is definitely much creamier in color than my studs, but I think I might be able to get away with wearing them together, if they clean up well :geek:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Just some random shot:

Oh ya, there is this strange blue pearl that I am rather ambivalent about. It's a pretty pearl, but feels sorta out of place. Or maybe it's supposed to be the accent and I just don't get it? :confused:

Anyways, with my wSSP (is it me or can you also see the sorta 'glow' on the SSP?):

And arranged it on a neck bust in lieu of a neck shot.
(natural light)

(sort of in a lightbox. The tent is too small for the bust so the tent edges were resting on my arms while I was taking the shot! :lol: )

img_9275.jpg

img_9257.jpg

img_9282.jpg

img_9308.jpg

YC

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the great report, icy jade. Regarding the akoyas, u made the right decision to wait till thw correct size comes along. for pearl that tend to have less variation like akoyas, I see no need to purchase when u r uncertain because you can always find more of different specifications. For other pearls like Tahitians, I am more inclined to buy when I see something I love because it can be a very long while before u see something similar. I still occasionally think about the Tahitians which 'got away' buy never felt the same about akoyas.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the soft blue pearl...I think it makes a pretty accent. If you go with a mystery clasp you can place the blue pearl around back or to the side if you are not in the mood for it :naughty:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
baby monster|1381844091|3537994 said:
Great purchases all around. Thanks for posting so many pictures. I really like looking at what's available outside US like those mixed pearl and metal necklaces. I've been looking for something like that but don't see in stores or online. No idea what tai-tai means but those necklaces are calling my name.

@Baby monster: I know what you mean. One day I will get one of those necklaces. :lol: They do have some really nice and unique designs (and with nice pearls). You can browse from Nanyo's site: http://www.shop-online.jp/nanyopearljapan/

I do have the contact of their Hong Kong store if you want it. You can PM me on The Facet Lounge or at amodularlife AT hotmail DOT com.

Via Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tai_tai):
"Tai tai (太太) is a Chinese colloquial term for a wealthy married woman who does not work." Or more simply "privileged, wealthy (married) lady". But pls ignore the rest of the not very accurate stuff on the wiki entry.

LitGeek said:
Icy your haul is FABULOUS :love: :love: :love: :appl: :appl: :appl: Have you decided what clasp to use on your harvest
rope? I like your idea of going with the mystery clasp! Your new T drops are going to be magnificent with your rope! What size mm are your new and old T studs?

I am holding out for wSS over natural white akoyas here too, although I would like a strand of natural whites at some point. There definitely is a color difference between the traditional akoya and the natural whites...I think the naturals are more of a candlelight color... not quite white but definitely not cream/ivory either. I have a strand of vintage akoyas that were my great grandmothers that I really need to clean, restring, and replace the clasp. The strand is definitely much creamier in color than my studs, but I think I might be able to get away with wearing them together, if they clean up well :geek:

@LitGeek: Thanks!! I am leaning towards mystery clasp but I am a bit worried about the length - it's 91.5 cm unknotted, so could be a bit short if worn doubled without a clasp.

My new studs are 11-12mm and the old ones are 10 mm I think.

Based on the small range of different natural whites at the Fair, some have a more pinkish tone and others more creamy.
Wow, heirloom pearls! Pls start a thread and share more pics with us.

LitGeek said:
I really like the soft blue pearl...I think it makes a pretty accent. If you go with a mystery clasp you can place the blue pearl around back or to the side if you are not in the mood for it :naughty:

I do like the baby blue just perhaps not in the strand. But really pretty colour I must say.

YC said:
Thanks for the great report, icy jade. Regarding the akoyas, u made the right decision to wait till thw correct size comes along. for pearl that tend to have less variation like akoyas, I see no need to purchase when u r uncertain because you can always find more of different specifications. For other pearls like Tahitians, I am more inclined to buy when I see something I love because it can be a very long while before u see something similar. I still occasionally think about the Tahitians which 'got away' buy never felt the same about akoyas.

@YC: Thanks! I tell myself that I should not hurry and buy all my pearls at one go. :lol:
And I do still kick myself for not getting the faceted pearl pendant and brilliant green tahitian studs at the July fair!

Did I miss anything btw since you were also there?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Oki, last batch of photos for the loose pearls - think they are going back to Golay soon to be set/strung up so more when I get them back.

I still can't quite get the goldens, but these are the best of my attempts in terms of lustre/orient:

The colour is rather off in the light box tho. Deeper red-gold IRL.

img_9223.jpg

img_9240.jpg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
And in the meantime while the loose pearls are away, I will only have my white SSP, or rather bluish-pink SSP pendant for company:

On neck bust:

In lightbox:

In natural light:

Quite tickled that I can see the ceiling fan in the shot above:

img_9212.jpg

img_9279.jpg

img_9280.jpg

img_9280_copy.jpg

YC

Brilliant_Rock
You covered everything I saw and much much more. I am amazed at your stamina and perseverance! I was at the show for 2 hrs max. You have very beautiful pearls. Give yourself time to enjoy them. Anyway, thank you so much for the photos! I really appreciate that u took time out from the shopping frenzy to take so many pictures for us to view.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
YC|1381847934|3538027 said:
You covered everything I saw and much much more. I am amazed at your stamina and perseverance! I was at the show for 2 hrs max. You have very beautiful pearls. Give yourself time to enjoy them. Anyway, thank you so much for the photos! I really appreciate that u took time out from the shopping frenzy to take so many pictures for us to view.

LOL. I am a hardcore shopper. Hate to return from a shopping trip feeling that I maybe there was another (item) that was nicer elsewhere. And that's why when hubby saw me wear my sports shoes, he expected a marathon shopping session.

Anyways was kinda fun to go around the Fair with some objective in mind. Plus I needed to walk around and clear my mind while mulling over purchase decisions. Taking the photos were easy. Loading the pics later that evening was way more tiring.

I will enjoy these pearls for a long time! But... there is always room for more ya? :lol:

mynattk

Shiny_Rock
Wow, Icy Jade. What an exciting trip! Thanks for sharing all the pictures. I think you picked the right pendant. It has a really nice curvy feminine shape. I’m not sure if that makes sense, but it’s definitely pleasing to the eyes.

FlyGirl, I was watching those Pearllunar goldens for a while – they are gorgeous! Glad to see they went to a discerning owner.

ETA: Oh, I just saw your comment about the light blue pearl on your Tahitian strand. When I saw the picture, I thought "wow, that blue pearl is amazing!" fwiw ;-)

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the additional photos, icy_jade. I love the closeups of your Tahitian strand.

I gotta say that while most of the larger pearls are peacock, a number of the smaller silvers look to have blue overtones. And, that big blue is absolutely amazing. Please keep it in the strand. I think you will grow to appreciate its rareity. And, isn't that part of the point of a harvest strand, to show off the different pearls that come from a pearl harvest?

I'm looking forward to the next steps in this pearl haul, getting them stranded and being worn. Thank you for allowing us to join you on this journey. :wavey:

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the additional pictures! I just love the pearls in your harvest strand -- including that light blue one.

It was interesting to see the akoya comparisons. With my coloring, the pinked ones look nice. I'm sure the natural whites would, too!

You have a marvelous pearl collection.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@mynattk, Fly Girl & bsomlo: Thanks!
Erm and ok so I really didn't get the blue pearl.
It has an amazing shape and lustre, just hmm... Well maybe I'll grow to love it. :loopy:

mynattk|1381858702|3538130 said:
Wow, Icy Jade. What an exciting trip! Thanks for sharing all the pictures. I think you picked the right pendant. It has a really nice curvy feminine shape. I’m not sure if that makes sense, but it’s definitely pleasing to the eyes.

Haha, ok VERY unglam but the pearl reminds me of a little chinese dumpling (xiao long bao) :lol:
Thank goodness it's bluish and not creamish in colour. And I do like the shape too.

Fly Girl said:
I'm looking forward to the next steps in this pearl haul, getting them stranded and being worn. Thank you for allowing us to join you on this journey. :wavey:

Thanks for accompanying me on this journey! I'll create a new thread for setting/stringing them up. Am super busy at work tho, so may only be able to go to the Golay office next week. :((

bsomlo said:
It was interesting to see the akoya comparisons. With my coloring, the pinked ones look nice. I'm sure the natural whites would, too!

Sigh, you know I'm actually quite envious that your complexion goes with more colours. I'll probably have snapped up the akoyas if I looked good in pink.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
icy_jade|1381846310|3538013 said:
baby monster|1381844091|3537994 said:

@Baby monster: I know what you mean. One day I will get one of those necklaces. :lol: They do have some really nice and unique designs (and with nice pearls). You can browse from Nanyo's site: http://www.shop-online.jp/nanyopearljapan/

I do have the contact of their Hong Kong store if you want it. You can PM me on The Facet Lounge or at amodularlife AT hotmail DOT com.

Thanks for that link! I had to walk away from the computer. So many amazing strands :love: :cheeky:. Think it'll take me some time to narrow down my wish list. :$$):

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Baby Monster: Went thru the site but honestly some of the strands I saw IRL were way nicer. Mmm, very bling tho. Maybe some of the mixed keshi ropes that aren't as flashy will work for me. :bigsmile:

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
Thank you soooo much for sharing this experience with us and for taking tons of pictures! Heaven, just heaven! Your mixed tahitian strand and of course fly girl's kamokas are from my dreams. Please don't take out that blue pearl!

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
icy_jade|1381846310|3538013 said:
My new studs are 11-12mm and the old ones are 10 mm I think.

Both pairs are beautiful and great sizes :twirl:

katbadness

Shiny_Rock
icy_jade|1381840384|3537961 said:
That's it, so my final loots from the Singapore Jewellery & Gem Fair 2013:

Not a bad haul. :D

*drool* Not bad at all, icy! :love:
I can't even decide which ones in your loot I like best!

How big are the goldens?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
katbadness|1382025283|3539524 said:
*drool* Not bad at all, icy! :love:
I can't even decide which ones in your loot I like best!

How big are the goldens?

Oops, my bad.

Forgot the all important specs:
Harvest strand is 91.5 cm (36 inches) unstrung, 6-14mm, 77 pearls
Cherry studs are 11-12mm
Drops are 12-13mm (by about 17-18mm I think)
wSSP pendant is 16.5mm
Oval gSSP is 13-14mm (by about 18-19mm I think)
gSSP drops are 10-11mm (by about 12-13mm I think)

bluebirrrd said:
Thank you soooo much for sharing this experience with us and for taking tons of pictures! Heaven, just heaven! Your mixed tahitian strand and of course fly girl's kamokas are from my dreams. Please don't take out that blue pearl!

Most welcome. Ok, blue pearl stays! :lol:

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
I am so glad to read IcyJade that the blue pearl is staying. If it is a blue body pearl it just might be the most rare pearl on your strand. A couple of summers ago at a PP RUCKUS Jeremy of PP and Josh of Komoka were talking in the PP vault when I walked in. Jeremy and Josh of course were talking pearls. Jeremy asked me if I had my blue strand so he could show Josh. I did and Josh was admireing it. Then Jeremy said he had a bag of even more rare pearls and threw a bag of natural chocolates on the table. Josh said that a chocolate pearl was not as rare a a blue body pearl. He would harvest many more chocolates before a blue body would appear. So if it has a blue body treasure it and you really scored. :mrgreen:

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I too want to add my thanks for all the fabulous photos ! And I have to say, you take excellent pearl photos ! What camera are you using? The shots of your golden s and the harvest rope are absolutely wonderful! Well done ! And again, I just love your choices. Never liked or considered Golden's until I saw your red-gold ones. You've changed my mind and got me thinking.. :idea:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
4Ranch Girl said:
I am so glad to read IcyJade that the blue pearl is staying. If it is a blue body pearl it just might be the most rare pearl on your strand. A couple of summers ago at a PP RUCKUS Jeremy of PP and Josh of Komoka were talking in the PP vault when I walked in. Jeremy and Josh of course were talking pearls. Jeremy asked me if I had my blue strand so he could show Josh. I did and Josh was admireing it. Then Jeremy said he had a bag of even more rare pearls and threw a bag of natural chocolates on the table. Josh said that a chocolate pearl was not as rare a a blue body pearl. He would harvest many more chocolates before a blue body would appear. So if it has a blue body treasure it and you really scored. :mrgreen:

Thanks 4RG! This is indeed a pale blue body tahitian. I didn't know blue body tahitians are so rare. I do have a few other true blues on my other strand that are a lot darker, so it's good to know: ::)

katbadness said:
If you don't want it, I'll gladly take it from you.. tee hee... :cheeky: :naughty:

Umm, no way. :tongue:
Haha.

katbran said:
I too want to add my thanks for all the fabulous photos ! And I have to say, you take excellent pearl photos ! What camera are you using? The shots of your golden s and the harvest rope are absolutely wonderful! Well done ! And again, I just love your choices. Never liked or considered Golden's until I saw your red-gold ones. You've changed my mind and got me thinking.. :idea:

For goldens, do try them against your skin to see which shades suit you/pop against your skin. ::)

As for camera, nothing fancy. I use an iPhone 5. You may want to have a look at this thread?
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/photographing-my-pearls.192475/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/photographing-my-pearls.192475/[/URL]

Took some practice to learn how to photograph pearls better.
Some of the shots are using a lightbox:

img_9342.jpg

_11018.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results