shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your favorite celebrity/politician/etc pearls!

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
naria|1353174148|3308809 said:
I've worked with PP in the past and they were great. I have already sent the strand back, but I was actually wondering if they would have looked better if I had let them warm up. I read the thread on colored metallics that noted they behave differently when warm. UPS brought the pearls to me freezing. In the future, should I let pearls acclimate before making a decision? Or should they look the same when they first arrive as when they have been in the house for a while?

Hmm...I am not sure about the way pearls look in different temperature. IMHO they probably look the same in diff temp, but are chameleon in diff lights. If they are pretty they may grow on you, know what I mean? Don't rush into returning. Wait a week or so to see them in different lighting and you'll appreciate them more. I've opened boxes and was disappointed in the past but then kept most of them after seeing them in different lightings. The dark velvet boxes don't do them justice. I don't think PP uses those anymore. Wrap them around your wrist and check them in different areas indoor and outdoor, twisting and turning your wrist. Pearl colors change when viewed in different angles, at least for the metallics. Reflections from mirror are also different than looking directly at the pearls. Good luck!

mynattk

Shiny_Rock
Lauren Holly in What Women Want makes her double strand into a triple :D yes!

lauren_holly_what_women_want1.jpg

lauren_holly_what_women_want.jpg

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I was surprised to see we didn't have Michelle Obama's pearls in this thread. Here are a few of my favorites:

imageuploadedbytapatalk1353735131.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1353735140.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1353735150.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1353735164.jpg

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
And more:

imageuploadedbytapatalk1353735192.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1353735207.jpg

njmom8285

Rough_Rock
Trade
There is a set I own that I (yes, I admit it) purchased from either JTV or SNBC. I truly can't remember. That are very similar to your photo. I purchased the white and the peacock and have worn them alone, together,doubled up and long. They look really nice, anyway you wear them.
Mine may not be as perfectly shaped~they are more of a baroque shape. The color is great, though. Mine are sterling, and fit in just fine whatever the occasion, the fit in perfectly. I'm trying to remember the price and I think they were each under 150.00
Would I love to have top top quality in all my pearls; of course! And I do have that in some special pieces. But mixing in the quality or metals once in a while doesn't hurt, and puts a smile on my face! ;-)

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Saw the promos for new Anna Karenina movie. The pearls caught my eye as they look spectacular (too spectacular to be real? hmm)

ak_movie_pearls.jpg

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Oh how fun! I have enjoyed drooling over all of these pearls. I really love ropes and mulitple-strands, although Angelina's black pearls are simply stunning! Here are a few of my favorites :love:

screen_shot_2013-04-26_at_9_2.png
Katherine Heigl

screen_shot_2013-04-26_at_9_4.png
Sarah Jessica Parker

screen_shot_2013-04-26_at_9_5.png
Katherine Heigl

screen_shot_2013-04-26_at_9_6.png
Audrey Hepburn

screen_shot_2013-04-26_at_9_7.png
Angelina Jolie

screen_shot_2013-04-26_at_10.png

mynattk

Shiny_Rock
A couple of strands I'd love to have (worn at yesterday's library dedication):

gold.jpg

rice_pearls.jpg

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, mynattk, there were some spectacular pearls at the library dedication. Barbara Bush had on a chunky strand too but it looked fake to me.

mynattk

Shiny_Rock
I was thinking the same thing! I was shocked at the number of fake pearls in the crowd.. there were a few teensy-tiny pearl strands on middle aged ladies and now I can see how bigger is better in some cases.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree again! IMHO small pearls look better in multi strand necklaces like Michelle Obama was wearing.

8kca_obama_bush_library_copy.jpg

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
baby monster|1354758856|3323692 said:
Saw the promos for new Anna Karenina movie. The pearls caught my eye as they look spectacular (too spectacular to be real? hmm)

This is what leapt to my mind when I read the thread title.

So this is what million dollar pearls look like! Guess they are not cultured!

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
I love Katherine Heigl's multicolour strand! Heaven!

aprilzephyr

Rough_Rock
A larger photo of FLO's black pearl rope Rosebloom had posted ages back (alongside Oprah's gorgeous diamond pearl necklace, no less) - love the layering ropes!
slide_246060_1410759_free.jpg

I'm surprised this month's Vogue cover hasn't been added yet: Carey Mulligan & Tiffany's pearls and that dress!
a_4x-horizontal.jpg

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
OH WOW!!

I am totally in love with Carey Mulligan. I can't wait to see that movie. And everything Catherine Martin works on is SPECTACULAR!! Her last two collaborations with Canturi (for Moulin Rouge and Australia) were heavenly.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
aprilzephyr|1367123215|3435978 said:
A larger photo of FLO's black pearl rope Rosebloom had posted ages back (alongside Oprah's gorgeous diamond pearl necklace, no less) - love the layering ropes!

Those layered ropes look very sophisticated :love: What is it about politicians and amazing pearls?

aprilzephyr

Rough_Rock
misskittycat|1367235800|3436537 said:

Amazing - if I could do my wedding all over again, I would've found some way to make that "Alexander McQueen ostrich feather dress with chiffon-covered pearls" mine LoL I haven't been inspired by an editorial in a long time (I attribute the desensitization to career fatigue).

I agree, Babymonster, re politicians and pearls. Pearls just seem to give off the right balance of demureness and assertiveness.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Those GSS necklaces on sale for Mother's Day at PP are looking awfully tempting :D Just look at this gorgeous necklace on Emily Blunt!

screen_shot_2013-04-29_at_6.png

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nancy Pelosi and I are on the same page about pearls :wink2:. Love this strand she recently wore to a press-conference.

politics_pelosi_725_480x360.jpg

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
baby monster|1375649369|3496546 said:
Nancy Pelosi and I are on the same page about pearls :wink2:. Love this strand she recently wore to a press-conference.

Yes, she has fabulous taste in pearls! That huge strand must be SS (would she wear anything less?) ~ just gorgeous :love:

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Simple elegance. Selma Hayek wearing a stunning Mikimoto White South Sea strand necklace and triple row Akoya cultured pearl bracelet with diamond clasp!

screen_shot_2013-08-05_at_12_0.png

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Speaking of Mikimoto and slightly off topic. After Jeremy and Hisano's wedding we drove back to San Francisco. We went browsing at Shreve & Co this morning. Here are some strands. I like the FW, GSS, WSS and Tahitian strand.

_8586.jpg

_8587.jpg

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
HHPmom|1375749658|3497283 said:
I like the FW, GSS, WSS and Tahitian strand.

I agree, that is one lovely strand and it looks very wearable! Wish it were mine :naughty: :love:

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Oh that necklace :love: :love: :love: Tres chic! Carrie Donovan - the influential fashion editor for the New York Times.

screen_shot_2013-08-17_at_7.png

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
Oh, LitGeek, I agree. This is someone named Megyn Kelly, of Fox News. I don't know who she is but there are some baroques in there and it's always good to see pearls on the news.

I also took some pics from the 1939 film The Women, that I may post later.

o-megyn-kelly-facebook.jpg

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous colors/shapes on that strand! Please post the pics from the movie when you get time :loopy:

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
The Women is mostly in black and white and is about a group of the cattiest b**ches imagineable. It certainly didn't appeal to my feminist side, but it was 1939, so it was more about the gorgeous dresses, the smoking and the interesting cultural references for me. It has a star studded cast including Joan Crawford, Norma Shearer, Paulette Goddard and Joan Fontaine.

Here's an example of the beautiful dresses.

the-women-1.jpg

The women live in Manhattan and for some reason, if you want a divorce you have to go all the way to Reno, which is like the wild west. Women who take the train there stay on a ranch with other soon to be divorcees while they go through the required court proceedings. Apparently when you stay on a ranch, you ditch your fancy dresses and go for western wear, which was hilarious. I had to take some screenshots of what passed for western clothing. And when one of these women was drinking whiskey and the other was hand rolling a cigarette in pearls I was in hog heaven!

0914132234.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results