shape
carat
color
clarity

Sea of Cortez Pearls - some eye candy

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
The red fluorescence comes from the presence of porphyrin pigments in the pearl, which fluoresce under long range UV light. Heme, the coloring agent in red blood cells, is an example of a porphyrin.

From "A Large Naturally Colored Natural Blister Pearl" by Nick Sturman

http://www.gia.edu/research-resources/news-from-research/large_natural_blister_pearl.pdf

Whilst not considered an advanced analytical test, the use of Ultra‐Violet light (UV) in gemology is widely known and can certainly have its uses when applied to pearl testing. Some pearls, especially brown and gray to black pearls from certain mollusks, are known to exhibit a weak to strong orange to red fluorescence that strongly indicates that the color is more likely to be natural owing to the concentrations of porphyrin pigment within their composition (Comfort. 1949). Pteria sterna pearls and shells of this natural color range in particular provide good examples of the range of orange to red fluorescent colors produced when they are exposed to long‐wave (LW) UV light. Pinctada margaritifera pearls and shells on the other had produce much weaker reddish reactions under LW UV light (Kiefert, Moreno, Arizmendi, Hanni and Elen. 2004).

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Okay people, I'm hooked, seriously hooked on these Sea of Cortez pearls..

But who sells them? , can't seem to find a web site for a strand...

Help appreciated.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
gardengloves|1290306102|2774344 said:
Okay people, I'm hooked, seriously hooked on these Sea of Cortez pearls..

But who sells them? , can't seem to find a web site for a strand...

Help appreciated.

Drusydesigns on eBay (Care Ehret), Trigemdesigns dot com and perlasshop dot com (straight from the farm).

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl|1289512495|2762448 said:
Thank you bean, WHB and Largosmom. And, you, too, iLander. :tongue:

An update. My Sea of Cortez pearl was one of three projects I dropped off at the jewelers today. We are going with the moonstone as an accent in a pearl pendant. Probably a bezel setting. They loved the pearl. It was glowing all green and its circles were looking amazing under the stone lights. It is smaller than the Tahitian pendants they had, but certainly holds it own colorwise. They will order in some parts in 18k yellow gold, and I will take a look before the final setting.
I picked up my finished Sea of Cortez and moonstone pendant today. I'm very pleased with the result.

Pendant1364.jpg

whitehotblank

Shiny_Rock
Cool, it's done! Lovely, Flygirl, and the moonstone has worked well, hasn't it? I don't know what colours you were wearing while taking the photos (ie if they were reflecting in the stone) but the pearl and the stone seem to be showing similiar colours, no? Lurves it.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I don't need anymore pearl temptation!

FG I really like the combination, and the pendant looks really substantial too!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, WHB and LG. I was wearing a navy blue top and standing next to a black computer desk, so probably those top two facets reflect that. I'm pretty sure the rest of the colors are refracted light coming in the window. It was gray and snowing outside at the time, so no colors from there.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
VERY NICE! :appl:

This turned out really well, FG! I think you picked out the perfect combination! :love:

Love it! Let's see a neck shot, so we can get an idea of scale. :wavey:

Gorgeous! :cheeky:

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Reviving an old thread here ladies.

I got this strand at the PP/P-G Ruckus in July from Douglas McClaurin. He brought some loose pearls and 2 strands to the ruckus. These pearls from 2011 harvest are yummy. I reknotted my strand on pink silk to bring out the colors, used a large spring clasp that doubles as an enhancer to wear with pendants (and to show off the pearls near the clasp because they are beautiful too). The colors come out more when worn on the neck compared to on neutral background. Last picture shown with Margo Tahitian Pearls/Tahiti Pearl Market's pastel pendant.

IMG_5395sm2.jpg

IMG_5401sm2.jpg

IMG_5406sm2.jpg

IMG_5410sm.jpg

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Revive away! It drew me out of lurking! As always HHP.... just gorgeous!!!! :love: :love: :love:

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
HHPmom love the pink knots. What a great idea :appl: That necklace was just made for you! Doesn't your necklace have Keshi in it too?

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
My Cortez pearls from the 2011 Ruckus. They are the bottom 2 pearls in this enhancer. Top pearls is a Keshi Tahitian from the Kamoka pearl farm.

berry1.jpg

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
4Ranch Girl|1315075646|3009123 said:
HHPmom love the pink knots. What a great idea :appl: That necklace was just made for you! Doesn't your necklace have Keshi in it too?

Thanks. Manuel knotted the strand in pink silk too, but the clasp was tiny and hard to use.

The keshi are the tiny ones. The pattern is 2 keshi between the 2 baroque pearls except for 6 last pearls on each side of the clasp. I think the keshi made this necklace special, different from the rest. Only 1.7 KG of pearls this harvest and about 34 grams of keshi.

The first is Douglas' picture. It was taken before it was reknotted by Manuel. At the ruckus, it had very light pink thread. I remember cutting off pink thread prior to reknotting. The second picture is Wendy's that she posted on facebook. Notice it's not white thread.

268868_10150243605701947_643466946_7634101_906128_n.jpg

Ruckus 2011-3.jpg

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe it could be the lighting but your thread seems deeper pink which I really like. It seems to bring out more colors in those pearls. That blue front pearls is TDF. Well I guess the whole necklace is TDF. It sure looked good on you and I am glad you decided to get it :appl:

Wendy does take good pictures of pearls.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the new clasp. Where did you find it and is it gold or silver? The brushed finish looks good.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
4Ranch Girl|1315078136|3009149 said:
Maybe it could be the lighting but your thread seems deeper pink which I really like.

Yes, my thread is a much deeper pink. It's Gudebrod size F, color 6519 (Rasberry Cream).

4Ranch Girl|1315078252|3009154 said:
I really like the new clasp. Where did you find it and is it gold or silver? The brushed finish looks good.

It's white gold, not really brushed finish though. Picture was deceiving. I bit the bullet and ordered it from riogrande.com, item # 644741 https://www.riogrande.com/MemberArea/ProductPage.aspx?assetname=644741&page=GRID&category%7ccategory_root%7c132=Findings+and+Finished+Jewelry&category%7ccat_132%7c486=Clasps .

I've ordered a similar clasp from bellafindings.com last year when it was so much cheaper, but they only have yellow gold. Picture here:

Yellow gold spring ring clasp.jpg

Gudebrod silk thread Rasberry Cream 6519.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Not too professional to use your lunch napkin for the background. 4RanchGirls Sea of Cortez pearls when she was considering buying them at the Ruckus 2011

2011 07 23_5290_edited-1.JPG

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

This thread needs to be revisited! :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
We saw this Sea of Cortez pearl this July at the Pearl Paradise Ruckus. It has been named "The Matryoshka."
It's incredible and will be made into a custom necklace by Hisano Takai Shepherd.

_2284.jpg

_2285.jpg

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Sea of Cortez pearls are unique in that some pearls exhibit the color swirls that I have not seen in other pearls. Thanks for giving this thread a bump.

img_4851-1.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HHPmom|1355258956|3328780 said:
Sea of Cortez pearls are unique in that some pearls exhibit the color swirls that I have not seen in other pearls. Thanks for giving this thread a bump.

Divine HHPMom! Neck shots requsite!!!!! :love:

cheers--Shaorn

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I just received my pearl earrings from Kojima.....OHMYMYMY! :love: :love:

I will wrap them back up to put under the tree----BUT NOT before I've worn them til the 24th! :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

JoseeCL

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I know I'm a little late but I have recently stumbled on Sea of Cortez pearls. I am a personal jewelry collector (mostly white gold and diamond do or rare pieces). Just recently I purchased a "Queen Conch pearl". It's a 1.83 carats dark pink round button shape. I hope to set into a pendant some day. Then I started looking into tahitian pearls. I bought myself a multi colored tahitian princess necklace. Then I came across the "Cortez" and I was mesmerized! I couldn't believe how beautiful these pearls were and being they were rare made me want them even more! I purchased a simple yet lovely gold pearl pendant. The pearl is grey body with green and violet overtones. Then I bought another from a trusted Ebay seller. Again it has a grey body with blue, pink, purple and green overtones :love: both are so lovely!!! Now I'm shopping for my 3rd :dance:

screenshot_2016-03-04-00-41-35.png

screenshot_2016-03-04-00-42-31.png

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
JoseeCL|1457077565|3999543 said:
I know I'm a little late but I have recently stumbled on Sea of Cortez pearls. I am a personal jewelry collector (mostly white gold and diamond do or rare pieces). Just recently I purchased a "Queen Conch pearl". It's a 1.83 carats dark pink round button shape. I hope to set into a pendant some day. Then I started looking into tahitian pearls. I bought myself a multi colored tahitian princess necklace. Then I came across the "Cortez" and I was mesmerized! I couldn't believe how beautiful these pearls were and being they were rare made me want them even more! I purchased a simple yet lovely gold pearl pendant. The pearl is grey body with green and violet overtones. Then I bought another from a trusted Ebay seller. Again it has a grey body with blue, pink, purple and green overtones :love: both are so lovely!!! Now I'm shopping for my 3rd :dance:

those are really beautiful!!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Very pretty. Many of us are crazy about Douglas McLaurin's Sea of Cortez pearls. Have you considered his Mabe`?

socmabe__2_.jpg

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
NacreLover|1457110479|3999764 said:
Very pretty. Many of us are crazy about Douglas McLaurin's Sea of Cortez pearls. Have you considered his Mabe`?

His Mabes are outstanding! (and so affordable!) My SoC Mabe ring is a distraction everytime I wear it!

JoseeCL

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Do I have a treat for you today!!!
Here is a picture of my "Cosita preciosa" as I have named her :love:
She is a rare beautiful dark blue sea of cortez pearl hand picked especially for me by Douglas himself! I asked him for a special dark blue pearl and what I was offered is nothing short of stuning! This is a custom made piece just for me.
This is my mother's day present from my husband :love:
I feel extremely lucky and honored to have been chosen to wear this beautiful gem.
I will post pictures of it on me once I receive it :dance:

received_1012400245491776.jpeg

JoseeCL

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I do plan on buying a mabe pearl ring in the near future :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results