shape
carat
color
clarity

Sea of Cortez pearls - help me decide!

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
I have managed to track down a couple of pairs of Cortez pearls!! They sent me three to pick from - one I wasn't overly bothered with so I now have to decide between two pairs.

Pair one was particularly called out for the sheen of the pearls but I am leaning slightly towards pair two because of the amazing pink colour.

Anyone have an opinion?

pair1.jpg

_7790.jpg

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
Just a reminder, I eventually plan to set them like this:

_7792.jpg

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
First pair because darker body color is S of C is always better and more expensive.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd say go with the pair that are calling to you! Pair 2 are very pretty.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I am partial to pink in my pearls, as well, but I gotta say, Pair One is absolutely stunning. So that would be my choice.

jenncent

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Fly Girl|1373080028|3477924 said:
I am partial to pink in my pearls, as well, but I gotta say, Pair One is absolutely stunning. So that would be my choice.

exactly this, on both accounts.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
jenncent|1373082319|3477945 said:
Fly Girl|1373080028|3477924 said:

exactly this, on both accounts.

same here. pair one just draws me in...

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmmmm... I have to say when I imagined these earrings in my head, I always thought of them having pink overtones...

Confused Kitty!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then just buy the ones with the pink, they're gorgeous as well! And as you said, you just bought a pair of Tahitians (?) that look similar to pair one.
I also love pink, but I'm a sucker or luster, so I'm not sure which I'd pick. Follow your gut, it never lies.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
baby nurse|1373117500|3478026 said:
Then just buy the ones with the pink, they're gorgeous as well! And as you said, you just bought a pair of Tahitians (?) that look similar to pair one.
I also love pink, but I'm a sucker or luster, so I'm not sure which I'd pick. Follow your gut, it never lies.

This. You have a vision, and if you're drawn to the pink then you need to get the pink. They're both beautiful, you can't go wrong. There's just something about the first that draws ME in. If it's not speaking to you the same way, you have your answer.

I have been trying to live with some pearls that just about everyone feels are lovely but they just don't speak to me. I have finally decided they're going back and I feel much better. I would caution you against listening to us instead of your gut.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
If pink is what calls to you, then definitely go with the pink! They are really beautiful and would look stunning in that setting!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I'll go for the pair that I L-O-V-E more. But... from what you've written it doesn't sound like either pair quite makes the cut? Cos it's a pretty obvious pick using that criteria.

For things that don't quite make the cut, then I tend to use pricing as a guide... if the stuff are relatively inexpensive (e.g. clothes), then I won't think too much. But if it's something that I think I'll keep for life (e.g. watches, jewellery)... I'll get something that I love, regardless of how long it takes and to a certain extent how much more it costs. I'll rather pay a bit more for something I love, than pay less for something that I know I'll care less for... and then usually I end up having to buy the item again. Does that make sense to you? :confused:

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Misskittycat -- could it be neither of these are "the one" for you? You have a lifetime to collect. No rush...

Mrs. Taylor -- it sounds like you made the right decision. For me, returning is always a difficult decision, but I always feel a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Immediately. I guess that says it all.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks guys. The pink ones are the ones. They do speak to me (they are saying "Buy me!! Buy me!! I will make you so happy!!). They are what I imagined for the earrings and they are also slightly larger than the other pair. The other pair are a bit mute for me unfortunately. I appreciate the lustre but I really wanted the iridescence and I don't think I am getting that from the photo. It's funny how pearl speak differently to people like that!

As for pricing, they are both the same price. I don't think they are very expensive, considering the rarity, so I am happy to take a leap with them then hold onto them for a while until I can save up enough good grace and favour with Mr K to buy the diamonds and have them set. They are definitely forever earrings so I want them to be right. No rushing, but I think the pinks are the ones.

I am starting to wonder if OECs wouldn't look amazing with the pearls... We are heading to NYC next year so I might have to visit Old World Diamonds to see some in person. Or maybe AVRs...

If anyone is interested in the other pair, let me know and I can pass on the details.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
The pair you've picked is stunning. And I love the setting too! If you were feeling adventuresome you could set them with pink sapphires instead of the white diamonds.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
sounds like you made the perfect choice. I can't wait to see what you do with them.

alice87

Shiny_Rock
I think unless you buy them to invest the money, it would be better to go with the liking part. If you feel pink are the one's, great! I think a lot of high end jewelry has more allure and less soul, because they are massed produced. Although some pieces seem really attractive, as to me, I noticed, I wear something my heart was drawn to much more often than branded, trended pieces.
Please keep us posted with your final project!

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
I think you will be really happy with the pinks. They are pretty spectacular. I would love the information on the first pair :wavey:

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone. I have emailed about the second pair. I am very excited!!

Just for reference, this was the other pair which I decided i didn't like straight up. I think the first pearl isn't as drop shaped as I would have liked.

LitGeek, are you a member of the other forum? I think you can PM each other there. I can send you the details of the first set of pearls and contact for where to get them. My username is the same there as it is here.

For reference, the pearls I chose are 9.8 x 11.1mm.

pair3.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Wow, those are beautiful, too. Too bad we can't PM each other here...

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
Rosebloom|1373148874|3478264 said:
The pair you've picked is stunning. And I love the setting too! If you were feeling adventuresome you could set them with pink sapphires instead of the white diamonds.

I was thinking that Rosebloom, but I still have a large pair of peachy pink baroque freshwater pearls from PP that I need to set. I am thinking I might do something with sapphires there ;-)

Bsomlo, I agree. They are lovely but I really wanted drop shaped ones. I honestly don't think you could go wrong with any of them, they are really beautiful. That's what made the decision so hard!

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
misskittycat|1373160764|3478331 said:
Thanks everyone. I have emailed about the second pair. I am very excited!!

Just for reference, this was the other pair which I decided i didn't like straight up. I think the first pearl isn't as drop shaped as I would have liked.

LitGeek, are you a member of the other forum? I think you can PM each other there. I can send you the details of the first set of pearls and contact for where to get them. My username is the same there as it is here.

For reference, the pearls I chose are 9.8 x 11.1mm.

Misskittycat, that was a beautiful choice. Great that you went with the pair you really wanted. Could you please PM (I have the same username there) me on another forum with the contact of the seller, I would appreciate this greatly. I am searching for a nice pair of SoC for quite some time now.

Congrats, again and please post the photos of the finished earrings

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Or even with the pink diamonds - that would be a real one of a kind ;-)

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
misskittycat I just sent you a PM on the other forum :wavey:

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
Dizzie|1373194188|3478457 said:

Or even with the pink diamonds - that would be a real one of a kind ;-)

I'm fairly certain Mr K's grace and favour doesn't extend to pink diamonds at the moment ;-) But when the time comes I will see. I am after something slightly vintage I think.

I have sent you both messages - hopefully to will be able to find the pearls of your dreams too!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Really dreamy. The Kojima S o C pearl earrings I have resonate many colors--pink amongst them--and they are gorgeous. And admired. I love them to pieces...and you will of yours. Congrats. :appl:

cheers--Sharon

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Misskittycat,
So you already have a pair of Tahitians similar to pair one, but pair two is not as lustrous (but has pink). When you first saw them which pair "winked" at you first? Maybe you don't have to choose one. Don't rush and wait for the ones that truly call your name. There will be more pearls available soon when Douglas is finished with his harvest. JMHO.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
HHPmom|1373244768|3478801 said:
Maybe you don't have to choose one. Don't rush and wait for the ones that truly call your name. There will be more pearls available soon when Douglas is finished with his harvest. JMHO.

Ah. Be still my beating heart... :cheeky:

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
The pink ones are on their way to me. They really did speak to me - I felt my heart flutter when I saw them for the first time. I know they are the more unusual choice but I feel like they are the right choice for me :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results