shape
carat
color
clarity

Replacement "Natural" pearl

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Hello all,
I'm new here, and today made my first post about a ring I was given. ([URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-hope-youll-say-its-nice-i-love-this-ring.210296/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-hope-youll-say-its-nice-i-love-this-ring.210296/[/URL]) The suggestion was made for me to add my inquiry here as well, so here goes:

Basically I have an antique ring (circa 1910) with a Natural Pearl and I wear it often. It has been suggested that it's a bad idea because the pearl is so fragile. But it seems such a shame to wear it only on special occasions. Therefore, my question in this thread would be whether this "Natural Pearl" is valuable, or indeed replaceable should I accidentally damage it. I've shown the underside in the 2nd photo so you can see how it was attached.

In your opinion, is it ok for me to keep wearing it, or should i save it for special occasions only. If I dropped it, would it break my bank to replace it?

Thanks in advance.

screen_shot_2011-01-21_at_4.png

screen_shot_2011-01-21_at_5.png

Reactions: AV_

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm afraid I cannot answer your question but just wanted to say your ring is absolutely beautiful! I really love that style. :love:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might actually want to post your question and your pictures on the Pearl Guide forum (it will pop up if you google it). That's where you will find more people who have expertise in valuating pearls and who can give you good advise about what you actually have, what it might be worth, and whether you need to either insure it well or swap the pearl out for safety.

Typically "natural" pearls are worth more than cultured pearls, but I don't have the expertise to tell you whether or not that's what you actually have. Sometimes vendors will say a pearl is "natural" meaning that is a genuine pearl, but this may not mean that it is not bead nucleated (which is the difference between a cultured pearl which has a man-made bead nucleus, and a natural pearl in the true sense which has formed in the absence of human intervention). Plus, the price differential probably depends on what specific type of pearl you have. All of that requires the help of an expert eye.

Edit: ok, having read your other thread here are some other thoughts:

1) a pearl ring (of any kind of pearl) shouldn't be worn for any chores. Pearls are delicate and are damaged by detergents, acids, and any other kind of chemicals, and scratch easily, so if you want to keep it nice, your clip is the way to go any time you are gardening, cleaning, or doing chores of any kind. They are also damaged by perspiration and natural oils from our skin, so after each use it's recommended that you wipe it down with a soft cloth slightly dampened with purified water (don't use tap water or regular bottled water as they have chlorine in them which will damage your pearl over time).

2) sadly, ebay purchases in terms of pearls are rarely what the sellers say they are. I'd be highly suspicious of a "natural" pearl (in the true sense) being sold on ebay. Ebay sellers typically sell nucleated freshwater pearls, even when they say that they are natural pearls or pearls of other kinds/types. You should probably get an appraisal overall so that you know the value of your ring for insurance purposes.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I agree it's likely the pearl is not actually a "natural" pearl but a cultured pearl. Most pearls are cultured but the incorrect term "natural" is often applied to them by those who aren't pearl experts, when they really just mean it's a genuine pearl rather than fake. The Pearl Guide has many pearl experts hanging around and as cmd mentioned, they could tell you more.

Anyway, just my opinion of course but since you enjoy the ring and want to wear the ring often, I say wear the ring often. A lower grade diamond and one small pearl (if cultured) are not all that valuable and you might pay more having everything adjusted by a jeweler than they're worth. (I'm no expert but as far as I know, being antique doesn't add that much to the monetary value either). I saw the neat thing you plan to clip it onto when doing dishes, gardening, etcetera, and that should go a long way toward protecting it. If the pearl ever did get damaged, I'd just replace it with another pearl then, and enjoy it fully in the meantime. If it's made it for over a hundred years, I'd think it's not extremely fragile, lol. Also, it would be a shame to keep that gorgeous ring hidden away in a jewelry box. :)

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I say ... wear it, wear it, love it, wear it.

Bank vaults are loaded with beautiful jewelry that no one ever wears.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful ring. I agree with the others, wear it. If it is really a natural wild pearl the whole thing is nacre and should wear well. Since you don't know where Mel got the ring, it may very well have been changed out in the 100 years with a cultured pearl and stored away by the owner so that is why it's in good shape now. When it wears to the bead, buy another replacement and have it installed. I check my half drills monthly to make sure they are not wiggly on the post. Two fingers and make sure it's not loose.

I agree with Ennui, life is short and too many women over the years put pretty things away to keep them nice never really enjoying them. When they die the people who inherit them don't want them and then unload them on ebay, garage sale or sell the whole homes contents to dealers. Yes, the last one was my next door neighbor, couldn't believe her kids wanted none of it.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
My only point is to add that without a hallmark you have no real evidence that the ring is old. It may be an old style, but it looks very clean and unscratched for an old ring. Admittedly gold cleans up well but.....

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
It surprises that there is an aspersion cast upon whether the ring is actually old. It was a gift, and as such, it's resale value is irrelevant, and frankly a little hurtful. I'm not selling it, so the age of the ring is not in question. I'm just wondering if it's too fragile to wear - and so far, most people say 'wear it'

Thanks for your input.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
No matter what I would get an appraisal on it. I have all my jewelry appraised, and anything worth over $500 insured. It's a little pricey to do that, but if something were lost, damaged or stolen it's much cheaper (and easier on my anxiety) to know that it is protected. Especially pieces of extreme sentimental value (example, my tornado). My diamonds, more expensive pearls, and gold pieces are locked in a safe hidden in my house as well.

So if you are worried, I would absolutely get it appraised, especially since it has no hallmarks (does it have a mark for gold, I didn't see that in any of your pictures). A lot of times people who sell antique jewelry (but aren't antique jewelers, or who specialize in antique jewelry) won't get thing appraised, or have enough experience to really say what/when/who/why a piece was made. They may weigh the gold, get the size and quality of the diamond, and judge it agains other antique pieces for a general price. So it would be in your best interest to make sure you get a good experienced appraisal. (I am in no way talking bad about jewelers or dealers. Appraisals can be expensive).

as for the pearl, pearls are both amazingly durable, and extremely fragile. Wearing day to day should be ok. As long as you take it off when you clean/spray perfume, shower, do any heavy work. But average day to day were (going to work, grocery store, out to dinner, lounging around house) should be just fine!

As for getting replaced. I feel that the work going into replacing the pearl would cost more than the actual pearl. But I could be wrong.

in any case you have an extremely beautiful ring! And you should definitely enjoy it.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
InsecureSweetGirl|1422974611|3826519 said:
It surprises that there is an aspersion cast upon whether the ring is actually old. It was a gift, and as such, it's resale value is irrelevant, and frankly a little hurtful. I'm not selling it, so the age of the ring is not in question. I'm just wondering if it's too fragile to wear - and so far, most people say 'wear it'

Thanks for your input.

I think knowing the age might help with assessing it's value. In regards to whether you feel comfortable wearing it often or not.
The point is whether it is new, or old the ring itself is absolutely stunning, and means a lot to you. so that makes it priceless! :praise:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
InsecureSweetGirl|1422974611|3826519 said:

Thanks for your input.

I don't think any one was trying to cast aspersion on your ring. You did ask two things: 1) what people thought about the value of your ring (or at least the pearl) so that you could make an informed choice about whether or not to wear it for daily use, and 2) whether or not you are at risk of damaging the pearl if you wear it to do all the things you would normally do during the day, and if so, whether it would cost a fortune to replace the pearl if something were to happen to it. I think people here (myself included) were simply trying to help you. The age of your ring *might* influence value, especially if it is a very well preserved antique. It might also determine the type and value of the pearl that you are specifically asking about, assuming that it has not been replaced along the way. OTOH, if it is a replica, that would be worth quite a bit less. Age might also influence how fragile your pearl/ring might or might not be. All things that are important in being able to make an informed choice about whether or not it is suitable for daily wear. Of course, if you don't really care about replacement cost, then wear it as you wish. Many people choose to do this even with $$$ items, under the philosophy that life is too short to lock things in a vault and never enjoy them.

But I do have to reflect to you that it is pretty cheeky to come here, ask for advice, not really say thank you to those who took the time to try to help you, and then complain about the feedback you got.

If you only want admiration, don't ask for advice. If you want advice here's mine: take it and get it appraised.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, clearly someone peed in my coffee this morning! My apologies for the testy previous response. I am not usually so flame-thrower-like when I am being the normal version of myself. :silenced:

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I was just over inspecting the photos at the other post. Look at the prongs holding the diamond in place. They appear very worn and some look so flattened out , they're ready to fail. If this pearl was in place the entire time the diamond was it has been subject to a lot of abuse by the previous owner. You can see the surface better then we can with your photo. Is it scratched or look worn in spots near the top or outside?

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think ISG will be back. I think we chased her away. :((

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Hi folks,
I am grateful for all the responses even if I only said so once or twice here.

Another commenter in the original post conversation (where I made my gratitude plainer!) stated a good point: that I don't know what other issues may lie in wait inside the stone, which is absolutely true. I do see that the prongs on the stone are quite worn and that's part of why I was leaning toward moving it to a pendant and replacing it with a moonstone (or similar). One smack at the edge of the diamond and worry it will shatter, because of the existing damage. So hence my question for the forum.

Another commenter suggested posting to the Peal Guide, which I've done (http://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9542 ) and so far, several responders seem to think the pearl may be natural and worth some lab work to determine value. It's nice to see that most of you here agree with most of them over there :)

I really do appreciate all the advice and opinions. Thank you, thank you so much.

ps - if I seemed unhappy at being told the ring wasn't old, it's only because it did rather feel like being told that a beloved but ratty antique french armoire was really only from ikea :-/ But I suppose it's better to hear that amongst friends at least! So I apologize if I seemed a bit harsh. ~kb

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Really? You're going to remove the diamond? I love the style. The jeweler you're using to do the work on your ring , does he use a laser welder? Pearls can't get hot. It would be a shame to have someone remove the pearl to do the work on your ring.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Hi NacreLover,
I don't have a jeweller at the moment but I hadn't thought of the heat issue and you're quite right. Hmmm, more things to consider.
Thanks for bringing that up. Very helpful.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
My point about the age was that many people have said 'oh the pearl must be natural because the ring dates from before Mikimoto started culturing pearls'
Without a hallmark there is only the style to go by. Having looked again at the photos, the claws are worn a bit on the stone but the pattern looks very crisp for a ring over 100 years old.
When someone says something comes via eBay unfortunately experience has made me view all claims as false until proven true

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
When it comes to vintage jewelry, I'm in the "wear it and love it, as is" camp. I often toy with the idea of resetting things, but there's a charm to vintage that should be left alone. (I know, I'm weird.) :angel:

I'll bet that diamond is tougher than you think.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results