shape
carat
color
clarity

PSS (Pearl Shrinkage Syndrome)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In other sub-fora of this board, we often hear about DSS as in Diamond Shrinking Syndrome.

I am happy with my diamonds as they have sentimental values, and do not intend to upgrade them for anything else.

However, it dawned on me that I have PSS, in that as I grow older, I would like my pearls to get bigger, in size and/or presence. :naughty:

My current jewellery projects involve pearls and colour stones, and diamonds are not being considered for the foreseeable future.

Can't wear very big pearl studs though, as they would make me look like a frog. However, I can go large on pendants and necklaces. ;-)

To other lovers of pearls, do you suffer from PSS?

DK :bigsmile:

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
dk168 - I was wondering if there was an offical name for this disease! I searched all of the medical websites and couldn't find it so thanks for posting it. I have this disease too!!! I find myself buying larger and larger mm pieces and my smaller mm smaller pearls hardly get worn at all! I'm sure they're feeling neglected but I guess that's an impact of the disease? Most importantly - is there a cure? lol

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely. The more I get into pearls, the bigger I like them to be. As lovely as recent vietnamese akoya pearl postings have looked, I just can't see myself wearing any pearls under 10mm. It's a very expensive problem with no cure. :cheeky:

YC

Brilliant_Rock
Most definitely. Now it is the bigger the better, or at least what my ear lobes and neck can handle. I feel that more mature women look better with larger pearls.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
:wavey: welcome to the club. One solution I have found to the earring dilemma is to buy dangles and to the smaller size pearls is double or tripple strands.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
I 100% agree! I like them bigger and bigger, therefore love souffles which are BIG yet light, and have the sharp metallic luster I crave.

One way to get to wear your smaller mm pearls is to twist them with another smaller mm strand, or even make a torsade with three strands. Or like 4Ranch said, to wear them as double or triple necklaces (for example, I like to double my 35" strand of small multicolor keshi and add my multi-color metallic drop necklace -- the three strands together make for a more substantial feel even though all the pearls are small, and I like the contrasting yet complimentary colors and shapes).

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with 4RanchGirl. I twist Keshi strands to make torsade and double my pendants of same shape on 2 diff length chains.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I have purchased a few larger pearl size strands lately, and yep, I like them a lot better than the smaller pearl strands.

I have gotten a few larger pearl sizes for earrings, but I just can't go above 10 mm. Too heavy and my tender ears can't handle the weight. I love the look, but can't adapt. However, my 7 mm pearl studs are looking pretty small these days. Wearing more 8-9 mm. :naughty:

cyndayco

Rough_Rock
Strangely enough, I am going in the opposite direction. I started with Wilma Flintstone-size pearls and my preference has gone progressively smaller. Part of my disenchantment with the big pearls is the weight. Plus, smaller pearls tend to have better luster and a rounder shape. Once I discovered akoyas, there was no turning back.

Here is a selection of pearls in my collection. (I literally took a snapshot of a drawer in my jewelry box.) The large Tahitians (13-16mm) were my first major purchase. Diagonally across are silver blue Akoyas (8-8.5mm) from PP, my most recent purchase.

img_4764.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results