shape
carat
color
clarity

PP pearls, advise welcome

alice87

Shiny_Rock
Hello,
I tried to post of pearl guide, but it is jsut would not let me do this unless moderator check my post.
I am wondering about the quality of pearls I've received.
In one of the topics I saw a necklace that really attracted my attention. I have a friend who make nice assembly of any gemstones, so put it together is the least of my problems.
I was looking through the different sites, and gem fair and I decided to shop at Pear Paradise because they sell pearls by the inch.
Don't get me wrong here.
I trust the pictures on website. I keep believing I will get something close to the posted picture.
So, I ordered 5 several inches of AA+ quality pearls in 6-7, 7-8, 8-9 mm and one inch in freshadama.
link is here
http://www.pearlparadise.com/ByTheInch-6070-mm-White-Freshwater--Partial-Hank-2622.aspx
6-7 mm and 7-8 mm strands are ok, I do't think they match website description, nor do they look like the provided picture.
-----This is PP description of AA+.
Highest grade of freshwater pearl
Near round, appear perfect round from a yard away
Clean surface of 90% or better
Top 5% of freshwater pearls produced today
Excellent to good matching
I already mailed back 8-9 mm because they were nowhere near round. Nowhere, and had a lot of blemishes and scratches.
The freshadama were very disappointing. They had no luster. Just chalky white. My Honora pearls were much better. Much much better by any stretch. Even the two strands I left were so much better than freshadama. All 3 pearls in one inch had different size (they were 8-9 mm), they were not round at all. Yes, and shipping took 12 days.
Considering how high is opinion about PP pearls are here, I was very surprised at the received quality. And I mailed them back.

alice87

Shiny_Rock
Ok these two strands are from pearl paradise. They are 6-7 mm and 7-8 mm.

dsc04773.jpg

dsc04772.jpg

alice87

Shiny_Rock
This strand I bought on gem fair. It is a smaller size, more round, sold by an indian lady from CA, has almost the same color, the pearls are 4-5 mm.
I did not have pictures for freshadama, it was just so disappointing to see it.
Any opinions are welcome as to the quality, roundness of pearls, and the expectations for freshadama's.

The last one is Pearl Paradise stock photo.

dsc04774.jpg

_24.gif

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First, you were right to send back anything that you were not content with. That is what the return policy is for.

About the photos: The "pearls by the inch" page allows you to choose one of two quality grades, either AA+ or AAA, but there is only one photo. I assume the website photo is of the AAA. The AA+ grade would not be as round.
I have a AA/AA+ strand of 6.5-7.5mm pearls from PP, bought on special before Christmas, that is as round as your photo of the AA+ . So I think those are as described.

Regarding the appearance of roundness of my own near-round pearls, I've noticed that they look less nearly round when viewed laid out on a table, and rounder when worn as a necklace. I don't know why this is, but it seems to be true. I have some that look really off round when I photographed them on the table, and quite round when I photograph them on my neck-- go figure!

As to luster, the background and lighting make a huge difference. A dark background makes pearls look duller-- white background, higher luster. Single point light, more luster-- diffuse light, less luster.

As to surface, a 90% clean surface means there can be blemishes on 10% of the surface-- that is quite a lot, when you think about it.

The free standard shipping can be slow, yes. I've sometimes had it take that long, coming from California-- I'm on the east coast. I still prefer the free shipping to paying for it to arrive faster, though.

alice87

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for response. I would of choose AAA instead of AA+, but when I ordered 8-9 mm it would of been pretty expensive, without even seeing the quality first. For sizes under 8 it does not really matter much.
You are right, on a table, it does not look round at all. Although I am pretty happy with these two strands. No visible blemishes, at least macro one's, and luster and color is good and lovely.
I should of photograph freshadama, because I read so much about high quality of it.
My other question, I ordered their pearl earrings, and they are new, lovely. But feel almost plasticky. They did not have weight to them, as I usually expect from the pearls. http://www.pearlparadise.com/Faceted-White-Freshwater-Pearl-Dangle-Earrings4735.aspx
I am thinking about freshadama and this chalky white, no luster color. And when I looks at the photos here, they have high luster.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The faceted freshwater pearl earrings have a faceted bead inside but I would expect the bead to be made of shell, not plastic--I recall reading that the density of the bead used inside a cultured pearl has to be of the same density as the nacre or else the pearl will explode when it's drilled.

Again regarding your Freshadamas and photos, it's a mistake to expect pearls to look in daylight the way they look in photos taken under a light or lamp. Artificial light intensifies the luster-- and the color of the overtones. Daylight is diffuse and will make the luster seem less distinct and therefore the overtone colors will seem lighter as well. And if the overtones of the pearls you bought were silver (rather than, say, rose) then the luster might seem even more subtle. That is what I find with my Freshadamas.

Also, Freshadamas do not look like akoyas-- they do not have that metallic sort of luster. They have a softer luster.

Again, regarding the loose 8-9mm pearls you ordered, it's not to be expected that they will all be the same exact size; the size is a range, so as long as they are not smaller than 8mm and not larger than 9mm, they fell in the range you ordered. I have FW studs that are not exactly the same size-- but they were matched for color, luster, overtones, surface quality, shape-- and one of the pearls is slightly smaller than the other. But they are considered to be well-matched.

Try again to sign up on Pearl-Guide. They have to moderate the first post due to spammers.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am new to pearl-guide and my posts have to be approved before they are actually posted....not just the first post. I have no idea how many posts are required to get around that but I actually don't care.
many forums do this as a safety precaution and I appreciate it both as a newbie [don't want to break rules unknowingly] and then as an active participant.
every forum has its own "culture" and I find that this type of process allows an easy way to incorporate into that culture.

alice87

Shiny_Rock
i had ordered both, 8-9mm AA+ freshwater and 8-9 mm freshadama pearls. None of them were good. And freshadama were not round, and even the soft glow (the same way as you describe it) was described to me on the phone. By any stretch of my imagination with light, or no light, I could of found glow in them. They were chalky white pearls, no glow, not round, totally mismatched.
I think that reading posts here, where posters mention the way they choose pearls from PP inventory (like picking up one out of 40), and we got presented with the best possible results. I would contact them again for the exchange. Because in this price range I have a choice of getting my earrings locally, blemishes and too plenty of defects are not something to be excused for.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would love to be able to select my pearls in person, but the sort of pearls I've bought from PP are either not available in stores around here, or the quality is worse, or the prices significantly higher than online. Speaking only for myself, I haven't ever had to send anything back -- but it's important to me that the option is there to do so.

I hope you find what you are looking for locally. We all have to do what works for us.

alice87

Shiny_Rock
I saw tahitian pearls studs, round, and nice size at Costco. I would ask for real pics from PP if it is possible. I mean their prices are good, but so far, they were not impressive. I always remember my teacher's words, you get what you paid for. There is no miracle over there. :twirl:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
alice87|1365427799|3422555 said:
................. I always remember my teacher's words, you get what you paid for. There is no miracle over there. :twirl:

or anywhere. your teacher was correct and if its too good to be true, then its too good to be true.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Alice, I have had the opportunity to see dozens of strands of Freshadama. Hanadama and Madama grade pearls from Pearl Paradise in person. I own three pairs of exotic freshadama freshwater earrings and a 11mm exotic freshadama necklace my husband asked Jeremy Shepherd to custom make for our 35th anniversary.

I am having a hard time understanding your multiple posts as they seem to contradict themselves. Let me see if I got this straight. You ordered several sizes of pearls by the inch in multiple quality pearls and sent some, or is it all of them back. You said your Honora pearls were better quality than the top of the line from PP.

Sorry, I don't believe your story.

Unlike necklace grade pearls, Freshadama pearls are hand selected from the top 1% of the harvested pearls. Freshadama are earring grade pearls, not necklace grade pearls. They are flawless, near perfectly round with sharp luster. Once these pearls arrive after drilling at Pearl Paradise, two members of their trained staff look though the Frehsadama strands and loose pearls to make sure NOTHING has slipped though the cracks. Each pearl is checked by two people. If they do find something, the pearl is marked with blue tape and removed from the strands or out of the loose pearls. We saw them busy working on them when Newberry and I were in the vault and a new shipment had just come in. These three grades , Freshadama, Hanadama and Madama are always treated with this strict regimen, For you to say that Pearl Paradise sent you out lifeless, chalky off round pearls after all the scrutiny they get is highly improbable.

The Honora pearls I have seen in stores and on the television shopping channels are commercial grade pearls. To compare them with these pearls is ludicrous. It also makes anything else you have said on your multiple posts suspect. Since I have also seen and gone though boxes filled with faceted freshwater strands and the loose faceted earring pearls, Plastic is the farthest thing that comes to mind. Although I have not yet purchased any of these pearl for my collection, they are on my list for future purchases.

You seem to have a axe to grind with PP, so I hope you find the pearls you are looking for somewhere else, since the cream of the crop are not up to your standards.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
NacreLover|1365461743|3422834 said:
Alice, I have had the opportunity to see dozens of strands of Freshadama. Hanadama and Madama grade pearls from Pearl Paradise in person. I own three pairs of exotic freshadama freshwater earrings and a 11mm exotic freshadama necklace my husband asked Jeremy Shepherd to custom make for our 35th anniversary.

I am having a hard time understanding your multiple posts as they seem to contradict themselves. Let me see if I got this straight. You ordered several sizes of pearls by the inch in multiple quality pearls and sent some, or is it all of them back. You said your Honora pearls were better quality than the top of the line from PP.

Sorry, I don't believe your story.

Unlike necklace grade pearls, Freshadama pearls are hand selected from the top 1% of the harvested pearls. Freshadama are earring grade pearls, not necklace grade pearls. They are flawless, near perfectly round with sharp luster. Once these pearls arrive after drilling at Pearl Paradise, two members of their trained staff look though the Frehsadama strands and loose pearls to make sure NOTHING has slipped though the cracks. Each pearl is checked by two people. If they do find something, the pearl is marked with blue tape and removed from the strands or out of the loose pearls. We saw them busy working on them when Newberry and I were in the vault and a new shipment had just come in. These three grades , Freshadama, Hanadama and Madama are always treated with this strict regimen, For you to say that Pearl Paradise sent you out lifeless, chalky off round pearls after all the scrutiny they get is highly improbable.

The Honora pearls I have seen in stores and on the television shopping channels are commercial grade pearls. To compare them with these pearls is ludicrous. It also makes anything else you have said on your multiple posts suspect. Since I have also seen and gone though boxes filled with faceted freshwater strands and the loose faceted earring pearls, Plastic is the farthest thing that comes to mind. Although I have not yet purchased any of these pearl for my collection, they are on my list for future purchases.

You seem to have a axe to grind with PP, so I hope you find the pearls you are looking for somewhere else, since the cream of the crop are not up to your standards.

worth repeating......

quinnox

Rough_Rock
I purchased Freshadama bracelet before. And while the pearls are beautiful and very well matched, I was not impressed with it since my expectation was very high. The shape is not very round, and the luster is good but not excellent. Before that, I purchased freshwater pearl strand from another vendor which exhibit excellent luster, but the strand is not very well matched. So I expected that Freshadama would be the same quality luster-wise, and with better match. It didn't, so I gave it as a gift to my fiance's mother.

However, I wish you took picture of Freshadama you received. Because while I was not impressed with my necklace, it was far away from chalky white and it's hard to believe that PP would send a lifeless pearl as Freshadama. If you ask for replacement, maybe you can ask for picture of the new pearls side by side with the ones you returned for comparison. I'm curious to see it.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the point just made about expectations is a good thing to consider, not only for Freshadamas but for pearls in general. I'm wandering a bit from this specific topic but it's related.

I've often read posts-- here and on the other forum-- where a buyer is disappointed when a given set of pearls don't match their expectations. Perhaps they saw someone else's pearl photos (either the vendor's or another poster's) and they think their photos don't look like the photo. Or else they really wanted a different type of pearl (e.g. Hanadama akoyas) but bought higher end freshwaters expecting the same degree of luster or roundness, for less money. Or else they think the pearls in their strand don't match each other perfectly.

This is what I've learned from lots of pearl buying and photographing; it is advice to myself; take and use it if it helps you.

1. Buy what you really want or save up until you can afford to do so.
Don't expect to be equally happy with a different size, type, or grade of pearl than you really wanted, because you will always be holding the pearl you "settled" for to an impossible standard and will be disappointed. There are no exceptions. ;))

2. Pearls are hard to photograph, as anyone knows if they have ever tried. So don't expect your pearls to look like any one else's photos. (Their pearls don't look like their photos either!) It's not deception on the part of the vendor if your pearls look different than the way they look in the vendor's light box. The light box renders nuances in color better than ordinary daylight does, so expect color variations in your pearls to be subtler. Also, different monitors show colors differently depending on how they are calibrated.

If in doubt, ask the vendor for more photos before buying-- maybe photos not taken in the light box.

3. Pearls look very different in different light situations and not only natural vs. artificial light. My pearls look astonishingly different on sunny vs. overcast days, indoors vs. outdoors, and even in different parts of my house! They actually look different in the kitchen than in the living room. Sometimes I've even noticed they look different when I'm elsewhere, even in my car. So, give your pearls a chance-- look at them over the course of days in different light before sending them back. They may just "come alive" for you-- I've had this happen over and over. Every last strand and earring has won me over.

4. Remember that pearls were made by mollusks and not machines. They are not all going to match perfectly, either in color, size or shape (especially if there is no bead nucleus.) This is normal even in a matched strand or pair. And there are going to be some blemishes. Focus on the overall beauty and not on the departures from perfection. I figure my pearls match me well since I'm not perfect either. :lol:

5. You may someday need to do a return, so be sure you are okay with the return policy (and cost of return shipping) before you buy.

Feel free to add what you have learned!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I totally agree with your post. This seems especially true when photographing pearls with colorful overtones , and Tahitian pearls in general. If you shop for a strand and get one where every pearl matches exactly overtones especially, it's an exception not the rule. Be willing to pay the price since thousands of pearls would have had to be sorted though to get a strand like that.
BTW, most times you find a strand that matches exactly, they are shell pearls or faux.

alice87

Shiny_Rock
NacreLover,
Thank you for posting.
I admire your pearls.
You pics were one of the reason I actually went to Pearl Paradise to get pearls.
My posts do not contradict anything.
I bought FWP in different sizes to make a necklace.
I bought 1 inch of freshadama to make earrings (there were 3 pearls total in one inch).
FWP - you can see the difference between stock photo and the pearls I received. I kept 2 out of 3 of them.
I also ordered a tahitian pendant and for AAA quality it had 4 blemishes - I send it back. The lady from PP agree with me it was too many blemishes and she saw the returned pearl. Although the pearl color was really good.
As for freshadama - I am not really sure I got freshadama at all. This is my big point here. May be it was a fluke, may be they accidently send something different. I don't know. But these 3 freshadama pearls had no luster whatsoever. None. They were chalky white. True to the stated size, more round than AA+ FWP I ordered.
I don't care if this is commercially graded pearls or not, but if my honora earring have more luster than freshadama, I seriously doubt the quality of pearls I received. And they did not look like any from you photo. But I did not have a chance to handpick and choose them either standing next to PP owner.
I don't think you can accuse me of anything here.
I like the idea of being able to choose, or get what I paid for originally. It is a fair market.
I read every characteristic on PP website, and you dissing me here is not polite.

alice87

Shiny_Rock
by quinnox » 08 Apr 2013 22:29
I purchased Freshadama bracelet before. And while the pearls are beautiful and very well matched, I was not impressed with it since my expectation was very high. The shape is not very round, and the luster is good but not excellent. Before that, I purchased freshwater pearl strand from another vendor which exhibit excellent luster, but the strand is not very well matched. So I expected that Freshadama would be the same quality luster-wise, and with better match. It didn't, so I gave it as a gift to my fiance's mother.
However, I wish you took picture of Freshadama you received. Because while I was not impressed with my necklace, it was far away from chalky white and it's hard to believe that PP would send a lifeless pearl as Freshadama. If you ask for replacement, maybe you can ask for picture of the new pearls side by side with the ones you returned for comparison. I'm curious to see it.
-----
I actually contacted them several times, and I spoke with a lady, and we had an extensive dialogue. She actually offer to send me freshadama which she would pick herself so I can see it.
For all the photos I saw before I really-really like the way freshadama look.
I will see the pearls and I will post the response.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Alice, So now we add a Tahitian pendant to your growing list of bad purchases you had to return. I don't think I would shop somewhere I had such bad luck.

You state facts as you know them, and so do I.

alice87

Shiny_Rock
pearlsngems|1365510209|3423132 said:
I think the point just made about expectations is a good thing to consider, not only for Freshadamas but for pearls in general. I'm wandering a bit from this specific topic but it's related.

I've often read posts-- here and on the other forum-- where a buyer is disappointed when a given set of pearls don't match their expectations. Perhaps they saw someone else's pearl photos (either the vendor's or another poster's) and they think their photos don't look like the photo. Or else they really wanted a different type of pearl (e.g. Hanadama akoyas) but bought higher end freshwaters expecting the same degree of luster or roundness, for less money. Or else they think the pearls in their strand don't match each other perfectly.

This is what I've learned from lots of pearl buying and photographing; it is advice to myself; take and use it if it helps you.

1. Buy what you really want or save up until you can afford to do so.
Don't expect to be equally happy with a different size, type, or grade of pearl than you really wanted, because you will always be holding the pearl you "settled" for to an impossible standard and will be disappointed. There are no exceptions. ;))

2. Pearls are hard to photograph, as anyone knows if they have ever tried. So don't expect your pearls to look like any one else's photos. (Their pearls don't look like their photos either!) It's not deception on the part of the vendor if your pearls look different than the way they look in the vendor's light box. The light box renders nuances in color better than ordinary daylight does, so expect color variations in your pearls to be subtler. Also, different monitors show colors differently depending on how they are calibrated.

If in doubt, ask the vendor for more photos before buying-- maybe photos not taken in the light box.

3. Pearls look very different in different light situations and not only natural vs. artificial light. My pearls look astonishingly different on sunny vs. overcast days, indoors vs. outdoors, and even in different parts of my house! They actually look different in the kitchen than in the living room. Sometimes I've even noticed they look different when I'm elsewhere, even in my car. So, give your pearls a chance-- look at them over the course of days in different light before sending them back. They may just "come alive" for you-- I've had this happen over and over. Every last strand and earring has won me over.

4. Remember that pearls were made by mollusks and not machines. They are not all going to match perfectly, either in color, size or shape (especially if there is no bead nucleus.) This is normal even in a matched strand or pair. And there are going to be some blemishes. Focus on the overall beauty and not on the departures from perfection. I figure my pearls match me well since I'm not perfect either. :lol:

5. You may someday need to do a return, so be sure you are okay with the return policy (and cost of return shipping) before you buy.

Feel free to add what you have learned!
Great post!
I understand that the best way to buy pearls is actually look at them.
I went to gemfair, and I pretty much like the selection from one person, but she did not have the selection in sizes I needed for the necklace. I only got the smallest size I need. PP selling pearls by the inch was a great idea, I thought. Because I could get them in one overtone, at least partially matched, and shipped from one place.
i don't expect Mikimoto quality here.
But I do expect that stock photos will be representative of provided products.
If I've ordered DVF dress and receive Calvin Klein, I would complain, even if Calvin copied Diane design.

alice87

Shiny_Rock
NacreLover|1365517711|3423218 said:
Alice, So now we add a Tahitian pendant to your growing list of bad purchases you had to return. I don't think I would shop somewhere I had such bad luck.

You state facts as you know them, and so do I.
NacreLover,
I am happy if you have such an amazing luck all your life.
I occasionally don't.
If you read my post again and again and if you try to understand - I wonder about how stock photos match actual product. I don't have much complaints about FWP - unless they are scratched, have blemishes, or badly matched.
I did not hand pick and choose.
Do you think if I go to the store I would choose crap and would complain about it?
When people choose for me - and it was not a decent choice, I will complain.
One more time.
If I pay for the item, and it is my hard earned money, I am not going to waste them and support the product, which is not as advertised.
You hostility and sarcasm toward me is not appropriate.

alice87

Shiny_Rock
I think a lot of online experience come to a point of fairness.
I trust what I see, and I trust words describing the product and this is what I paid for.
if it does not match or there is a big discrepancy between them, when there is a problem.
When I think about it, I had problems when my items were done the way I did not want them to be done, or it was not done utilizing best professional judgement (meaning poor execution). I expect excellence to the point when it is appropriate (not expecting FWP to be be akoya Mikimoto quality), and I try to be fair, or I try to make it right if I am wrong.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stock photos can be very accurate when it comes to manufactured items like dresses-- or for that matter, most manufactured things. Gold necklaces, shoes, cars, you name it. Even imitation pearls, which are uniform.

But not for real pearls, because they aren't manufactured.

Stock photos for pearls are necessary, yet no single strand is like any other strand. Not really-- because there is individual variation in each pearl and so in there is variation in each strand-- although overall there will be a range for each strand that fits the general characteristics of the stock photo.

For the high end strands --Tahitians and South Sea-- the photos are for the specific strand. But it probably isn't workable to individually photograph each and every freshwater strand. I'm sure the labor cost would end up jacking up the price of the pearls.

I'm not saying you were wrong to return what you don't like, Alice. But you might want to reconsider your degree of reliance on stock photos when it comes to freshwaters. Take them with a grain of salt, so to speak.

alice87

Shiny_Rock
Yes, thank you! It is actually very useful!
Commercially graded sounds here almost like a curse. With commercial grading the quality is pretty uniform for the jewelry items. I basically know what to expect. With pearls i will be more carefull and i will be asking and calling before purchasing. No more ebay for me either. It takes a while to understand the process and go through disappointment.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you've got the idea!

Communication is so easy with PP-- just use the Live Chat button. And if you place an order, if you have specific requests about shape, matching, color of overtones etc. you can write them in the box called "Special Instructions" during the checkout process. This will make it more likely that your purchase ends up being just what you had hoped.

We are all a bit excited and nervous when we open our package of new pearls on arrival. I've found that it helps me to immediately transfer the pearls to a white surface-- the black velvet-line presentation boxes obscure their luster. I do wish PP used white presentation boxes instead of black ones. They actually did for a while-- I have 3 white boxes from them. Maybe the black boxes look fancier? But they don't do the pearls justice IMO.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Alice, I have bought a lot of pearl jewelry online in the past year, mostly on the lower end of the price scale, and from many different places. Honestly, I've sent back more pieces than I've kept. I'm going to a gem and mineral show in a couple of weeks and I can't wait to see a huge number of pearls in person and pick out exactly what I want! Now just wait, I'll get them out of the artificial lighting and not like them anyway, haha. :razz:

alice87

Shiny_Rock
I went to gemfair a month ago and there were a lot of pearls. I was not after the pearls but I agree here, i did not like many of them either.
-----
Thank you for special instruction piece - i was under the impression that pearls like other jewelry are pretty much standardized. It is just not the case. PP and Pearl Source have different grading system, just one more thing to be careful for consumer.

alice87

Shiny_Rock
Just got an exchange. I could just say, WOW, such a difference.
I can see why people like freshadama. It is very different from the one I got initially, just as described on website. I will add pic. Very happy! Great luster, color, shiny, just beautiful. Almost perfectly round, uniform in size and shape.
I exchanged my pendant for earrings. Although I loved the color of the pendant, it had few blemishes, and the new earrings looks good. I am happy as I can be with them.
I am really glad the exchange worked out. I will add photos later.

alice87

Shiny_Rock
You can see FW pears from PP, black akoya from PP, and bigger size is freshadama pearls from PP

dsc04793.jpg

dsc04792.jpg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's great that it worked out! Yes, the Freshadamas in your photo are really beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results