shape
carat
color
clarity

PP blue baroque Akoyas, SoC triplets, & jewelry-making help!

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
I feel like I'm making the Pricescope topic rounds... first Rocky Talky, then CS, and meandered over to Pearls on a lazy afternoon... and we all know what trouble that starts. :Up_to_something:

So, I dipped my toe in the Pearl waters with PP's sale baroque blue Akoya strand (justification: I wear my 9-10mm ringed FWP wedding pearls at least once a week and the string is stretching! Time to rest & restring!), which arrived a couple of days ago:

img_2836_copy_2.jpg

They're more baroque than I'd thought they would be -- which is EXCELLENT because I think you don't want to go halfway with baroque. Make it clear it's on purpose! And, whoa, never having seen Akoyas in person, the overtones, the variety from pearl to pearl, the luster (despite its ripples and baroquiness) all were a total (good!) surprise. Can't seem to get the color quite right in photos, except maybe in the obligatory neck shot.

img_2834.jpg

WELL -- because PP takes a while to ship, in the meantime I ran into dkata's PP thread ([URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-first-order-from-pearlparadise.212532/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-first-order-from-pearlparadise.212532/[/URL]) and, kicking myself for not thinking of poaching a couple off the Akoya strand, started massively obsessing over earrings to match. Blue Akoya earrings are, like, $400. :-o As much as I paid for the necklace. Hmph. But, as I read more, I learned about the "bargain" Sea of Cortez pearls Ebay's druzydesign sells, and sprung upon a 3-pearl set. (Justification: I was on vacation in Cabo San Lucas at the time. Like, practically IN the Sea of Cortez! I think they count as a souvenir even if I bought them on eBay...)

Vendor pic (incidentally, found her pics to be very accurate glamour shots):

druzydesign.jpg

The (fraternal) triplets, hanging out with a well-loved 14k RG ring:

img_2826_copy.jpg

And everybody together:

img_2823_copy_0.jpg

Even though the match isn't perfect, I think they're complementary enough (and definitely not $400) to make a pair of dangle earrings to play nicely with the Akoya strand. Similar overtones, reasonably close saturation, though the SoCs are darker (and will probably look even darker shaded by hair, but nothing's perfect!). And then, there's that 3rd, lumpier SoC for a simple necklace! In the style of - though far less fabulous than - pregcurious's ahmaaaazing souffle set: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/souffle-set.211680/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/souffle-set.211680/[/URL] :love:

OK, so! Here's where I'm really hoping to get some advice, though it's not totally on-topic (but hey, pearl pictures above!). I used to do jewelrymaking, so I have the pliers and snippers, but it's been a while and I've always worked with sterling, not gold. The plan for earrings is little dangles on french hooks (so, need french hooks and head pin or similar) and a non-moving single pearl on a fine chain (so, need a chain and a head pin or piece of wire) in 14k rose gold.

Does anybody have a recommendation for jewelry components in (solid) 14k rose gold? They're devilishly hard to find on eBay, though RG chains are very available and I did find a place to buy 30g half-hard 14k RG wire. Anybody with better eBay-fu? Is 30g too fine for a pearl? Am I nuts to think about making my own french hooks from 30g wire? If you have fully drilled pearls, what do you do if you don't have a head pin - do you make a little squiggle at the bottom of the pearl dangle to keep it from falling off? Hoping to escape this new obsession without spending much more than $100, $120ish for RG components...! Thanks in advance for words of wisdom. :)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: PP blue baroque Akoyas, SoC triplets, & jewelry-making h

Try Rio Grande and Bellafindings for rose gold jewellery findings.

DK :)

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock

dk168|1430606347|3871312 said:
Try Rio Grande and Bellafindings for rose gold jewellery findings.

DK :)

I LOVE bellafindings

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock

congrats -- I'm so jealous of both the necklace and the lovely triplets! I have been stalking some pearls on the same ebay site for potential projects so I am glad to hear recent confirmation of the photo accuracy.
i might consider looking for rose gold filled findings or a combo of solid and filled. it has been a while since i bought findings but i feel like there was more variety in gold filled, and good gold fill is quite durable (unlike plated/vermeil). The only place on etsy I have bought findings that carries gold is MadeOfMetal. I bought some copper & sterling findings a few years ago and they were accurately described and fairly priced. I bought a lot of sterling findings from ArtBeads and found them to have unique stuff. I would probably also look at RioGrande, CGMFindings, FireMountain.
Good luck -- can't wait to see how this turns out. This thread is definitely inspiring me to take out the pliers again...or try knotting!

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

You could also consider rose gold vermeil findings and think about setting the single pearl on an enhancer so it can be a stand alone pendant or an add to the strand of akoyas to pull that in with the earrings...?
The drill hole will be 0.7mm so the wire you want will be 0.6mm.
You can set the pearls directly onto a fixed earring drop finding and fill the bottom hole with a tiny bit of silver wire filed flat too

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock

dk and ckrickett, those are great sources -- but I'm still finding their solid RG options are pretty limited, unfortunately. Do either of you have experience with Bella's "v-shape" earring -- https://www.bellafindings.com/16607/14kr-11mm-v-shape-earwire-earring.html -- it's a strange shape and I'm not sure I understand what the point of it is, but it's one of the two 14k RG earring options that seem currently to be in stock...

enb, you're so right, there is a MUCH larger variety of RG filled options... at about a tenth the price of solid. Hmmmm. I'm not sure why I'm emotionally attached to the idea of solid RG - that's probably silly, right? And, if you're thinking of buying from Druzy, fyi the shipping is INCREDIBLY fast. I had a good experience with her shop all around! :)

Pearlescence, I'm new to pearls, so sorry about the idiot question, but -- how do you know the drill hole is 0.7mm? Is that standard for pearls or something? And how do those pearl drop findings work, do you glue the pearl on there or something? (Or because of a standard size drill hole, once you shove the pearl on there it sticks pretty well..?)

Thanks y'all :D so lucky to have you as a source of wisdom!!

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Hi yes, 0.7mm is standard. I have come across 0.6mm and some Tahitians can be 0.9mm or even 1mm. but the usual hole is 0.7mm.
yes, glue. we use a gel superglue, having switched from two part epoxy when we had some failures. so far the gel is easier to use and no failures and there is a release liquid if it all goes horribly wrong.
If you want an earring which doesn't swing around a lot you'll want a finding which has a post and maybe a cup in the drop position

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock

Well, I got impatient and powered through making the SoC necklace with parts that shipped fast via eBay/Etsy. 14k RG ear wires by Etsy vendor lovethembeads, and then just about the cheapest little featherweight 14k RG cable chain from eBay -- so cheap they couldn't be bothered to put a non-blurry photo and it's not really the kind of chain I meant to get, but remember, impatient? So, forged ahead. :) And 28g 14k RG half-hard beading wire, which would've been a lot easier to work if I could find my "good" pliers. (The ones I used? Are so bent they can't actually close around a 28g wire. But, impatiently, proceeded.)

With the blue Akoyas they're meant to compliment (hm, not sure about that 100%; I've been wearing the Akoyas with white 10mm fw button studs and haven't been cited for a pearl violation, so maybe that'll work out!) and the only other pearls I own, a strand of 10mm ringed pearls I wore for my wedding:
img_2854_copy.jpg

Alone:
img_2858_copy.jpg

And it wouldn't be PS without an ear/neck shot:
imag1508.jpg

Thanks for your advice, Pearlescence, dk, ckrickett, enbcfsobe! Next project I'm going to try not to be nuts about getting it done NOW NOW NOW - so I can take advantage of those really inspiring vendors and strategies you suggested. :oops:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

That was quick! Thr rose gold and pearl colours really suit you.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock

ditto -- these came out so pretty! what is the mm size on the sea of cortez pearls? i'm trying to get a sense of scale, and it is tough to tell online -- sometimes even the photos with hands/fingers in them aren't that helpful because I don't know how big that person's hands are.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks, lovinggems and enbcfsobe!

The pearls were listed as 8.4 to 9.2 mm on the eBay listing, but I think that's smallest diameter by convention (?maybe) -- when I measure with my calipers, they're about 9-10mm in the diameter that "matters" to me, i.e., perpendicular to the "drop" of the earring or the horizontal path of the necklace. The earrings are smaller and the necklace pearl is a little bigger. And they are definitely smaller looking than the baroque Akoyas (9.5-10mm).

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock

Very nicely done, I have been eyeing those for a while on ebay, good to know they look that good in others pics as well. They look great on you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results