shape
carat
color
clarity

Poll: Please vote on your favorite Tahitian strand!

Which Tahitian strand should I choose?

• Strand 1: Peacock overtones, graduated, 8.2-12.4mm

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Strand 2: Cherry overtones, graduated, 9-11.7mm

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Strand 3: Peacock overtones, 10-13.3mm

Votes: 11 44.0%

• Total voters

SMC

Ideal_Rock
HHPmom|1385989914|3566015 said:
I would choose the ball laser or matte finish clasp as scratches don't show on those compared to the polished ones. You'll be pleased with what Jeremy picked.
Thanks! Definitely going with a matte clasp. Now the choice is between white gold and yellow gold. I'm leaning towards yellow gold.

pkinnew|1385993780|3566033 said:
Well I'm a little late for the game but I think you received excellent advice on your choices and I know your grandmother is going to be thrilled with the pearls you selected! And the matching 10mm earrings will just be the icing on the cake!! She is blessed to have you as a grandchild!
Thank you! This forum has been beyond helpful with giving advice. PP's service has also been amazing. They have a loyal customer in me!

SMC

Ideal_Rock
I just ordered 10-11mm studs and the large strand of Tahitians with a white gold matte clasp. Jeremy suggested that WG would look better than YG with this particular strand so that's what I'm going with.

I cannot wait to receive the pearls and give them to my grandmother!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck on your purchase, and please post more pics once you have received the necklace.

DK :))

SMC

Ideal_Rock
dk168|1386025809|3566305 said:
Good luck on your purchase, and please post more pics once you have received the necklace.

You bet I will! Thanks to everyone for the advice!

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
sortmon|1386026046|3566309 said:

Great choice :appl: :appl: :appl: You are going to have one happy Gran!

SMC

Ideal_Rock
LitGeek said:
sortmon|1386026046|3566309 said:

Great choice :appl: :appl: :appl: You are going to have one happy Gran!
Thank you! I hope there's an inverse relationship between my bank account balance an her happiness.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
They're here! They're very well-matched but a lot more silver than I thought they would be. Jeremy's pictures make them seem so dark.

A few quick pictures:

photo__17_12.jpg

photo__18_4.jpg

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
they are huge!! I can't quite tell the color. They look pretty dark on your neck and more silvery in the box. Are they heavy feeling around your neck? That was my one thought when you said your Gran was almost 90, that they might feel too heavy as you said she was also petite. But the most important question is do you like them?

SMC

Ideal_Rock
pinkjewel|1386278089|3568320 said:
they are huge!! I can't quite tell the color. They look pretty dark on your neck and more silvery in the box. Are they heavy feeling around your neck? That was my one thought when you said your Gran was almost 90, that they might feel too heavy as you said she was also petite. But the most important question is do you like them?
You know, they look very different from the pictures so it wasn't exactly what I was expecting. However, they do look very classic and I think they convey a feeling of luxury, which is what I was going for. I've never really looked at Tahitians in real life before this - I've seen them in passing but have never studied them. I didn't really know what to expect.

I didn't think they felt that heavy. I think my grandmother will be able to handle them!

I certainly like them. I don't know if I love them. I hope she does though!

SMC

Ideal_Rock
More pictures! The pearls are so shiny that I can see my reflection in them! I need to take pictures in better light. I can't see the nuances using indoor lighting. Jeremy suggested using natural diffused light.

photo__4_19.jpg

photo__5_12.jpg

photo__6_17.jpg

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I love them!

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1386390697|3569308 said:
I love them!
Thank you! Initially, I wasn't sure about them, but after looking at them for a day, I definitely think they're amazing. I plan to wear them myself before I give them to my grandmother in a few weeks. :) What she doesn't know won't hurt her, right?

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Right! Seriously, they're stunning! I have spent a huge amount on bling in the last couple of years so I couldn't get these now, having come to the end of my "serious bling" budget (I think I've spent about 15k this year) but they look so nice I'm wondering about getting dyed black pearls for a reminiscent look! Or perhaps the single Tahitian pendant with Tahitian studs is the way to go. Hmmm...lots to think about!

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1386393712|3569348 said:
Right! Seriously, they're stunning! I have spent a huge amount on bling in the last couple of years so I couldn't get these now, having come to the end of my "serious bling" budget (I think I've spent about 15k this year) but they look so nice I'm wondering about getting dyed black pearls for a reminiscent look! Or perhaps the single Tahitian pendant with Tahitian studs is the way to go. Hmmm...lots to think about!
I wouldn't go dyed black instead of Tahitian if you're going for the Tahitian look. It's just not the same and I would never wear them. You saw my baroque Tahitian studs, right? Those weren't that expensive at all. They were the cost of two loose baroques and earrings posts.

I've had my eye on these Tahitian pendants: http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-2115-cherish-collection-round-tahitian-pearl-necklace.aspx or http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-2113-cherish-collection-tahitian-baroque-pearl-necklace.aspx

I would get it shortened to about 14" so it just sits in the hollow of my throat.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
sortmon|1386395454|3569363 said:
Smith1942|1386393712|3569348 said:
I wouldn't go dyed black instead of Tahitian if you're going for the Tahitian look. It's just not the same and I would never wear them. You saw my baroque Tahitian studs, right? Those weren't that expensive at all. They were the cost of two loose baroques and earrings posts.

I've had my eye on these Tahitian pendants: http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-2115-cherish-collection-round-tahitian-pearl-necklace.aspx or http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-2113-cherish-collection-tahitian-baroque-pearl-necklace.aspx

I would get it shortened to about 14" so it just sits in the hollow of my throat.

YES! I saw those pendants. I've also just seen that they have a single Tahitian pendant with a bail, and you can buy just the pendant and not the chain, which is awesome as I've got chains aplenty:

http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-2776-unity-collection-tahitian-pearl-pendant-90-100-mm.aspx

About the dyed black freshwaters, although they do sound horrible, they look quite amazing on the PP website! They've got green overtones, the lot. Also, the smaller sizes suit me better - Tahitian studs are all larger. I know you're just going to hate this idea, but I'm considering getting the Tahitian pendant and wearing it with the 6.5-7mm black freshwaters. Yeah, I can see you recoiling in horror! :D

I also really like this Tahitian pearl ring: http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-1771-pixie-collection-tahitian-pearl-ring.aspx

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1386398705|3569376 said:
YES! I saw those pendants. I've also just seen that they have a single Tahitian pendant with a bail, and you can buy just the pendant and not the chain, which is awesome as I've got chains aplenty:

http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-2776-unity-collection-tahitian-pearl-pendant-90-100-mm.aspx

About the dyed black freshwaters, although they do sound horrible, they look quite amazing on the PP website! They've got green overtones, the lot. Also, the smaller sizes suit me better - Tahitian studs are all larger. I know you're just going to hate this idea, but I'm considering getting the Tahitian pendant and wearing it with the 6.5-7mm black freshwaters. Yeah, I can see you recoiling in horror! :D

I also really like this Tahitian pearl ring: http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-1771-pixie-collection-tahitian-pearl-ring.aspx
I understand wanting smaller studs. I wonder if PP carries smaller Tahitians that aren't listed on their site. Might be worth asking. I'm worried that the black dyed pearls won't be a good match to the pendant color-wise. Buy what you love though!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
sortmon|1386399456|3569382 said:
Smith1942|1386398705|3569376 said:

I understand wanting smaller studs. I wonder if PP carries smaller Tahitians that aren't listed on their site. Might be worth asking. I'm worried that the black dyed pearls won't be a good match to the pendant color-wise. Buy what you love though!

I just did!! This 15% offer is doing me in. First of all, I did some research on Pricescope about dyed black freshwaters, and people had some good things to say about them and had posted examples that looked great. Sooo, I have bought 6.5-7mm black freshwater studs, which are the perfect size for me, and I selected an overtone with green in it. Then, I bought a Tahitian pendant without the chain, again selecting a green overtone.

Studs: http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-243-65-70-mm-aaa-black-freshwater-round-pearl-stud-earrings.aspx

Pendant: http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-2776-unity-collection-tahitian-pearl-pendant-90-100-mm.aspx... The pendant has a silver/blue overtone in the picture, but mine should be the classic Tahitian green. I got the white gold, since my chain is white gold.

As regards the size of Tahitian pearl studs, Tahitians are large pearls and I think that 8-9mm is the smallest you can get. I looked into it a while ago. I could be wrong, but I'm reasonably sure they don't come as small as 6.5-7mm.

Anyway, we shall see what these look like! If the studs and pendant don't look good together, I can always return one or both. But hopefully I'll get a nice Tahitian looking set for $158! :D

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1386404654|3569394 said:
I just did!! This 15% offer is doing me in. First of all, I did some research on Pricescope about dyed black freshwaters, and people had some good things to say about them and had posted examples that looked great. Sooo, I have bought 6.5-7mm black freshwater studs, which are the perfect size for me, and I selected an overtone with green in it. Then, I bought a Tahitian pendant without the chain, again selecting a green overtone.

Studs: http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-243-65-70-mm-aaa-black-freshwater-round-pearl-stud-earrings.aspx

Pendant: http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-2776-unity-collection-tahitian-pearl-pendant-90-100-mm.aspx.... The pendant has a silver/blue overtone in the picture, but mine should be the classic Tahitian green. I got the white gold, since my chain is white gold.

As regards the size of Tahitian pearl studs, Tahitians are large pearls and I think that 8-9mm is the smallest you can get. I looked into it a while ago. I could be wrong, but I'm reasonably sure they don't come as small as 6.5-7mm.

Anyway, we shall see what these look like! If the studs and pendant don't look good together, I can always return one or both. But hopefully I'll get a nice Tahitian looking set for $158! :D
Congrats! In case you didn't do it already, I'd email them and specify that you were planning on wearing them together as a set, and ask them to select the pearls so they match as closely as possible.

Looking forward to your pictures!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Ooooh, good idea. I'll do that. Thanks!

Right, I think I'd better get some sleep! :wavey:

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
Sleep, who needs sleep!?!? Unless you're dreaming about pearls!

I look forward to seeing your new set!

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
sortmon - You definitely needs to "try them out" before giving them to your grandmother! Just to make sure, you know? But it could also be very dangerous because you may have to get a similar strand for yourself!!

SMC

Ideal_Rock
pkinnew said:
sortmon - You definitely needs to "try them out" before giving them to your grandmother! Just to make sure, you know? But it could also be very dangerous because you may have to get a similar strand for yourself!!
Haha, I'm on it. I may already be planning my outfits for the next week around the Tahitians I'll be test-driving. My fiancé thought the pearls were so big that they looked "fake". I had to show him that PP was an A+ accredited business with the BBB. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results