shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me decide!!!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I have selected 20 beautiful pastel tahitians from a group that Jeremy hand chose for me to look at. Originally I was going to keep adding to make a 17" pearl strand, but I usually wear a diamond pendant that length and I now have my tahitians I purchased from the sale, my gorgeous Vietnamese blue/pink baroque akoyas, and some kasumi type pearls- also that length- so I decided to intersperse the tahitians with something else and create a longer length- either 36" or maybe even 52". I absolutely love the long Gellner strands (pics to follow) that have small black diamond faceted rondelles- but due to the price of the black diamonds and also the hole size of the available rondelles this is not really an option. I could, however, maybe substitute black spinel and achieve the same look. It depends if Hisano can find spinels that have a large enough hole and holes that are nicely filed.

But in playing with the color design I used some inexpensive 3 to 4mm freshwater pearls and this gives a totally different look-more spring like and casual. Hisano suggested her tiny gem quality CFW 2.5 to 3mm pearls from her Little H line if I go this route which I really like.

But something keeps calling to me about the dramatic black spinel against the pastel tahitians... They would look so gorgeous against anything black. You'd get just a bit of flash and sparkle from the spinels and the lovely pastels would just stand out and float against the black bacground. But, it might look too dressy to wear all the time...You see why I keep wondering so, Please help me decide!!!!!! I need to decide within the next 24 hours because Hisano will look for my spinels in Hong Kong if that's the direction I want to take.

l1040807.jpeg

gellner3-l.jpg

5_1144_537.jpg

14438_464071-j31.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Wow -- it's a totally different look and both really beautiful.

If I personally had to choose one I'd choose the little h tiny whites because I prefer pearls over anything else (though I love a little diamond with my pearl). The necklace would also go with more of my clothes. But that may not be an important consideration. You may actually want something that goes particularly well with only a few outfits.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I have larger black spinel roundels and I love them. They sparkle like black diamonds and are very flashy which white pearls do not. There are other faceted gems like rhodolite garnets which might bring out overtones in the pearls.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
They are both beautiful, but different looks. I wear a lot of black and dark colors, and I love the Gellner Castaway, so I would probably choose the black spinels. If Hisano can't find spinel roundels that will work, you can always go with the white pearls.

gellner_castaway.jpg

gellner_castaway__pearls_and_diamond_beads_.jpg

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Kay|1410378680|3748575 said:
They are both beautiful, but different looks. I wear a lot of black and dark colors, and I love the Gellner Castaway, so I would probably choose the black spinels. If Hisano can't find spinel roundels that will work, you can always go with the white pearls.

Yes- I have all those photos saved and I really love the look- probably would do 52" if I go with the black spinels. That way I could round it around my neck 3 times short or twice longer. Hmmmmm...

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
NacreLover|1410379199|3748584 said:
There you go. YOU NEED THAT!

that's what I keep thinking!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
bsomlo|1410376935|3748558 said:
Wow -- it's a totally different look and both really beautiful.

If I personally had to choose one I'd choose the little h tiny whites because I prefer pearls over anything else (though I love a little diamond with my pearl). The necklace would also go with more of my clothes. But that may not be an important consideration. You may actually want something that goes particularly well with only a few outfits.

I know- 2 different looks and both I like- hence, my indecision. :confused:

Kay

Ideal_Rock
It looks like Gellner is also using spinel, hematite and onyx beads as alternatives to black diamonds in the Special Moments collection of the Pearl Style by Gellner line.

http://www.girlslovepearls.de/en/collection/special-moments/

54-60" of black spinels and pastel Tahitians to wrap around your neck would be fabulous. I'm starting to talk myself into it too, lol.

You can even do matching earrings:

gellner__try_with_black_spinel_beads_.jpg

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Kay|1410380315|3748602 said:
It looks like Gellner is also using spinel, hematite and onyx beads as alternatives to black diamonds in the Special Moments collection of the Pearl Style by Gellner line.

http://www.girlslovepearls.de/en/collection/special-moments/

54-60" of black spinels and pastel Tahitians to wrap around your neck would be fabulous. I'm starting to talk myself into it too, lol.

You can even do matching earrings:

Oh, good find, Kay- I hadn't seen that collection Gorgeous!! I really love the hoop earrings, too.

010_ps_kollektion_special_moments_01.jpg

mapo

Shiny_Rock
I vote for black spinel. It's a nice contrast to your pastel tahitians. What color are the overtones? maybe you can add different gemstones to pull out the overtones of the tahitians. I :love: kay's pictures!

Maybe you can do a tincup style like ckrickett using the spinel beads instead of chain? That would be a gorgeous look.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I like those hoops too! I bet they could be designed with removable pearl drops so you could wear them with different pearls (or none) for variety.

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
Every time I come on here or PS or PP website or ... I say "I NEED THAT" lol ...

Pink Jewel, both these looks are lovely; those pastel Tahitians are gorgeous. Which color scheme works best for your coloring and your wardrobe colors? I do think either plan can go from cocktail to grocery store ... even the dark scheme would look fantastic with dark jeans, a simple T or sweater and maybe a leather jacket ...

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
CRDKeshi|1410381709|3748622 said:
Every time I come on here or PS or PP website or ... I say "I NEED THAT" lol ...

Pink Jewel, both these looks are lovely; those pastel Tahitians are gorgeous. Which color scheme works best for your coloring and your wardrobe colors? I do think either plan can go from cocktail to grocery store ... even the dark scheme would look fantastic with dark jeans, a simple T or sweater and maybe a leather jacket ...

Oh, I know- PS is such a dangerous place-lol. Actually, they both work with my coloring and my wardrobe-no help there. I wear lots of black, but I wear lots of pastels, too. I know- I need both!! My pocketbook (and my husband), though, say that I need to choose only one. :lol:

mapo

Shiny_Rock
This might not help, but this past design from Kojima is pretty too. :whistle: past-16.jpg

Pearl_Girl

Rough_Rock
I vote for the black too. The photos that Kay posted decided it for me. I think that they are much more elegant than the white freshwater (although it may be that I'm more drawn to them because I wear so much black).

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Well, thank you everyone!!! You all have reinforced my own inclination to stay with my plan for the black spinels. I think it won't really look much different than the black diamonds in the original Gellner pieces I fell in love with. I have contacted Hisano to look for them and I've decided to go with a 52" or 54" rope!! Yay!!!!

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I really love this inspiration photo. I prefer the black to the white and I also love the few medium sized beads/pearls in the above photo.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your pastel pearls are gorgeous and would love stunning with black. Can't wait to see the completed necklace!

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
My vote would be the spinel. I love gemstones with pearls. At least you have a back up plan if Hisano can't find the spinel.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
pinkjewel - I'm glad you're going with the black spinel! It will be awesome!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pkinnew|1410439336|3748952 said:
pinkjewel - I'm glad you're going with the black spinel! It will be awesome!

Late to the vote but after seeing your choices I would have picked the black spinel too. Gorgeous and sophisticated and can go from day to night, casual to dressy. Beautiful. :love:

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
pinkjewel|1410392752|3748710 said:
Well, thank you everyone!!! You all have reinforced my own inclination to stay with my plan for the black spinels. I think it won't really look much different than the black diamonds in the original Gellner pieces I fell in love with. I have contacted Hisano to look for them and I've decided to go with a 52" or 54" rope!! Yay!!!!

Perfect choice! I would have voted for the longer length and black spinels. So excited for you!!!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Well, black spinels were the overwhelming choice!!! Hopefully Hisano will find some great black spinel rondelles!!! I'm pretty excited by this project- thanks again everyone!!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
late to the party but i'm glad you went with the black spinels!
much less spring/youth oriented.....much more fashion savvy and I think versatile as a casual yet also elegant dressy look.
congrats on this project!

juliebeth

Shiny_Rock
LOVE the spinel! here's another vote. but also note that on the gellner strands that aren't monochromatic, there are also little colorful keshi thrown in here and there, they soften the look a bit. you might want to consider something like that, or even do something like that with the white fwp, so it's not quite so stark-ly formal.

anyhow, once again, LOVE!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results