shape
carat
color
clarity

PLEASE HELP! First Tahitian Necklace - color, size, length

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all

It is me again needing help on my first big tahitian purchase. PP sent photos of 4 strands so I can decide on the color but now am completely overwhelmed with information. All strands look beautiful on photos (from the high luster) and I actually cannot distinguish the colors. I don't know what to do next. Here are some areas I am unsure about:

Size: 8-10mm look small. Would bigger ones, say 10-12 be too much on a size 4/6 person? With rounds I would want biggest possible. Is it same with drops? Gradual or consistent size pearls?

Length: what is the standard? I would like to be able to wear it with jeans, casually glam look is what i am after.

Color: biggest biggest biggest dilema. I like how green body pops on my skin - -pretty certain that a green strand would look amazing. But then the peacock overtones and cherries are why I even considered tahitians in first place. Can you see the overtones without studio lightings?

I know everyone may have different flavors and beautiful is subjective. But I am one confused consumer who needs to be told what to do. HELP!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: PLEASE HELP! First Tahitian Necklace - color, size, leng

It would help if you could post a pic of yourself showing you skin and hair colour, and the four strands in question.

I am Chinese with greying hair, plus size, and do not like anything brown/peach/gold/yellow-tone as they do not suit me.

Blues are my favourite, greens are fine, however, cherry and peacock do not suit me.

As for shapes, I do not like drops that are too elongated in a necklace, and am not too keen on too many rings.

As for size, I am at the age (and size) when I can go big (I am looking for 13-15mm round/off-round for Tahitians, and bigging in baroque White South Seas). :bigsmile:

As you have already mentioned, colours and shapes are very personal.

Good luck with you choice and purchase.

DK :))

ennui

Brilliant_Rock

I think 18" is a classic length.

For tones, I think one will speak to you. I prefer peacock overtones, myself, and I like the deep sea greens.

I have a strand with mixed colors that I really like; some silvers mixed in, a few blues, etc.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The colors are tough because your skin determines which overtones look best. As far as size, I love big pearls and there's such a thing as PSS (pearl shrinkage syndrome) with many PSers graduating to bigger and bigger strands to I'd recommend going as large as you can afford so 10-12mm. Length depends on kind of tops you like to wear. I like to have pearls against the skin so 18" works for most of my tops.

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock

18" is a classic length as it has been said before. I do find I like them a bit shorter on me, more like 16.5-17", but if you want to shorten it later you can either send it in for shortening (I did that with my blue akoyas and got matching earrings made out of the spare pearls), or use a pearl shortener to shorten it depending on the top you're wearing.

My Tahitian strand is 8.7-10.9mm I think. II think the pearl size is good for me (at least for now). But you may want to try them on to see what you like on yourself.

If you are in the US, you may want to order more than one strand and then try them on, keep your favourite and return the others.

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you! Your input has given me some clarity on what I should be looking for.

@DK - it is super helpful to learn of your preference. I am Chinese with dark brown hair, tall, medium built. I also stay away from brown/peach/gold/yellow tones which tend to look dull on me. Silver and green that's not too dark works for sure.

@ennui - I am leaning towards either green body or a mixed color strand. Can I ask you some questions about yours - do you find the color difference distinguishable most times of the day? when matching clothings, do the mixed color influence your choice of color?

@baby monster - I guess deep down I knew PSS would take over, just needed to hear it so thank you.

@Tucs - great idea about the length. I can always add/take from the strand so that really isn't something that I need to worry about.

A couple of pearl 101 questions - are drops measured by the diameter or length? When you say 18 inch, does it include the clasps?

Bailey1856

Shiny_Rock

Hello Greenbling!
Drops are measured by the length and strands are measured without the clasp from my experience with PP.
I had an 18 " strand strung to 16.5" and when I measured it it was 16.5" without the clasp which was what I wanted anyway.

May I some the pictures of the strands you are looking at?

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks Bailey1856!

here are the photos of first 3 picks. I am very impressed with the luster. Left one is silvery with blue green and pink overtones, middle one dark green with blue and subtle peacock, right one dark green with cherry and peacock.

I have just emailed PP requesting for bigger green with peacock and multicolor.

img_5610.jpg
img_5611_1.jpg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The standard way of measuring size is perpendicular to the drill hole, whether the pearl is round or drop.

Length for finished strands includes the clasp-- but because pearls are a discrete size, the length may not be exact. Thus, an 18" necklace may be a little bit shorter or a little bit longer than 18". This has been true of all the necklaces I've bought from various vendors.

As far as seeing the colors-- Tahitian pearls have body colors and overtone colors. The overtone colors will pop more in diffuse indoor light and on overcast days outdoors; on bright days/under bright lights you will see the body colors more.

If the strand is "multicolor" the pearls will look more distinct from each other in all lighting. For strands that have one basic body color but show minor differences in overtones when photographed under studio lighting, those differences may not show up in normal light-- the strand will probably look more uniform.

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock

To get a vivid multicolor impact, look for a variety of body colors on the pearls. In other words, body color will provide the most contrast when it is varied. If all the pearls are dark body color, say green, then the contrasts will be more subtle and confined to their overtone. The most dramatic multi color have a variety of pearls...white, golden, and Tahitian.

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock

I think Tahitians are trickier than any other type of pearl to pick. You really won't know what suits you until you try it on. I always order more than one strand, and then send back what doesn't suit me. Make sure to insure the packages. Yes, it costs extra to order more and insure, but it's the safest way to go.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Of the three strands in the pics in different lighting, my own preference in terms of colour would be the middle strand as it is more interesting than the larger and more silver outer strand.

The inner most strand looks too brown for my liking.

DK :))

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I adjusted the photo a bit for exposure-- of the 3, the innermost (right) strand seems the most colorful as to overtones. I like that one best of the 3, but am interested to see what multicolor strands you post.

3_greenbling_tahitians_from_pp.jpg

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

If you put the photos on your phone/tablet and hold them next to you in a mirror, is there one strand that either stands out or you can rule out?

Not as good as having the pearls in hand, but might help guide things a bit. Tahitians are super tricky (and fun)!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

I like the outer strand, second preference is the middle strand. Maybe get a couple of strands in person? If you're in US returning and exchange is easy.

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock

Keep in mind that shape, size and luster also play a role. These three all look to be of similar luster, however their shapes do vary.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock

I have two multi color strands, actually. I've been known to wear them with my pajamas, so don't look to me for fashion advice. :lol:

I don't spend a lot of time "matching." I wear my Tahitians when I feel like it, without a lot of concern for whether they coordinate ... my Tahitians do have the dark, dusky ocean tones, so I don't wear them with pink, for example ... but black, browns, navy blue, green ... why not? Some T's have golden tones, too. I think that's why I like the multicolor strands.

I like the silvery blue outer strand in the photo, but I think it's because blue baroque Akoyas are my HG pearl.

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock

I think I like the innermost the best, because the colours look more intense to me, but may not work so well with your skin tone because some pearls have a coppery tone. It's hard to tell without seeing them on.

Bailey1856

Shiny_Rock

I like the middle and outer strand. I think that if you are in the US you should order two that you like the most then return one or if you are looking for multicolour cooler tones then ask for PP if they have one.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock

I am Chinese too, 5’6”, medium built, near-black hair with fairly light skin. I am happy to share my lessons learned.

SIZE: My smallest necklace starts at 8.5mm, except a strand that has dramatically graduating pearls (center pearls still over 9mm). Different sizes (combined with shapes) will give you very different looks for sure (bold statement? elegant classic, casual & fun?) Honestly I think age matters too. I am in mid-40’s so I now feel more comfortable in larger sizes (12+mm) that I would not have considered in my 30’s. Generally I wear different sizes for different occasions. Bigger pearls are definitely more formal – but I’ve paired it with jeans too. Pearls are so much fun! To dress down larger pearls, I would not match my necklace with earrings.

LENGTH: I think you need to try different looks, and consider how big is your neck. For example, I myself have smaller than average neck so 18” looks longer on me. Also learned that at the same length, a strand of bigger pearls will look shorter than a strand of smaller pearls. If you are tall and slim, I suggest 17” for a single strand.

COLOR: Gold just don’t like us Asian skin tones  Anything peach will bring out the yellow in our skin tone too. I don’t have a brown strand, but once I bought a very lovely strand of peacock and had to sent it back. They look too brown on me. Green, blue, white, silver, cream all work well with me. My personally favorites are blue and green. Tahitians are chameleons, colors pretty in hands can look very different on your neck. For example, I was not a big fan of light-color Tahitian (silver etc.) until I tired them on.

PP has outstanding customer services. Why don’t you order all strands that you are considering and see them in person? PP is now even paying for return shipping.

I just posted some neck shots of my pearls – hope that will help you.
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...here-are-the-neck-shots-you-asked-for.219218/

amti

Rough_Rock

What a difficult decision. Tahitians are hard to pick out because they change colors and reflect every color around you. I wanted a bluish strand and special ordered my pearls and strung them myself. I'm about a size 6, half Japanese (brown hair, hazel eyes) and the pearls I got range from 9mm to 12.78mm and are 17.5" long. One thing I did not expect was the weight of the pearls. They are heavy. Get some pearl necklace or beads and put them around your neck to find your perfect length. PP will adjust the pearls to whatever length you recommend, just be sure they include the clasp in their measurements.

One of my favorite things about Tahitians is looking at all the different colors and orient. Although I have a nice short strand that I love, I don't wear it as often as some longer 30" strands with Tahitians because I enjoy looking at the colors. I like the idea of paying for several strands and picking the one that makes you happiest. It is so hard to see what they will look like on you and the different colors they change to in photos. Good luck!dsc06035.jpg

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you for the input. You guys are awesome.

@pearlsngems - your explaination on meaurement and colors are great. I cannot tell you how clueless I was. There's a lot of information on the internet and yours is by far easiest to understand. Your adjusting the exposure is a great way of seeing how the color plays in different lightings. I am now doing that to help me see colors better.

@Pirard - that is exactly what i would ask PP to do - pick one with more variety of body colors. I didn't even know what to look for if not for your advice. Regarding shapes, I like the longish ringless drop shapes. The outer strand is good size but there are a few pearls which I would prefer to be more pointy if it makes sense.

@DK - I start to notice that some peacock and cherry (maybe not genuine cherry) have some copper / brown to it which i think is not flattering on my skin. It is great to have them in a multicolor but not entire strand of it. I will now look out for that.

@BWeaves, Lovinggems and Bailey- i will ask PP about the return policy and cost. I am in HK so not sure if free return shipment policy applies.

@chroman - great idea. i now create grid images of the strands and myself to see the impact.

@ennui - with PJs! ok wouldn't judge you LOL. So maybe a multicolored is the way to go. I dress casually anyways so maybe can pull off a fun colorful strand.

@yingh - I am 43 so we are in similar stage which explains similar flavors too! I am drooling over your collection. Can you be my personal pearl shopper?

@amti - this i haven't mentioned before, I too want to be able to admire my pieces which is why i have a tendency of buying more rings and bracelets than earrings and necklaces. Thought about getting 2 bracelets and just combine them into a necklace but then the thought of having potentially 2 clasps showing just killed that idea. BTW, your tahitians are huge! They must turn heads!

And a bit of update. PP came back with 2 more strands and i replied requesting for photos with diff lightings. Also trying to set up a time which i can talk to the CS directly. Will be posting more photos soon. Thank you again for your kind help!!!

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock

- Update -

Spoke with Fig on the phone. He is wonderful to work with, very responsive and helpful. Unfortunately there is not what I want in stock so he put my name down on the wish list for the next buying trip.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

amti,

Thanks for sharing the pic of your bluish strand, it is gorgeous!

DK :love:

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock

GreenBling -- I think you did well to wait if none of those strands is special to you. You can also keep an eye on their blog to see when they buy a new Tahitian lot; then ask again for what you want. Good luck!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Well they are all three lovely strands .. it's really personal preference for colour and what looks best on your skin. You really couldn't go wrong with any of them. I think 10-12 is fine in size... they look good on anyone. It's only when you go for large pearls that things can get a bit out of balance if one is petite.

Amti - Love that strand..colour is beautiful !

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

For length think about which is the length of your favourite current necklace and possibly that is the length you want. Likewise for size of pearl. What do you already like for size? And as for colour..well, go with the colour which best reflects your wardrobe choice because that is probably the colour which suits - what colour is it which everyone says 'wow you look great' when you wear it - that is a clue
There aren't hard and fast rules

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock

I now have a clearer picture of what I want. Would be ideal if I could see some in person, try on different sizes, length, shapes and colors before making a decision. There is a jewelry show in Hong Kong this Mar, if it is open to consumers, I will go and check out the pearls.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock

I'm a little confused when some of our Asian ladies say that goldens don't work for them, because I have read jewelry trade articles that say Golden South Sea pearls sell best in China, where the goldens complement their skin tones.

Okay, I'm a lot confused. :confused:

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I think the HK shows are some of the venues that PP frequents for sourcing stock. They have some trip reports on their blog from past shows. If your are in the area, maybe you could meet up with them?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results