shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help a newbie with buying Freshadama studs!

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
Hello all!

First time posting in this sub-forum, and I really appreciate any help you might be kind enough to give me. =)

I am taking my wife away in two weeks to a romantic cabin in the woods to celebrate her birthday, and I would like to buy her a pair of nice pearl studs. She has a pair of fake pearl studs (with cheap, plastic backers), and I'd like her to have something a little nicer (as I am a jewelery nut and love buying her pieces- but we are on a budget). I have been reading through some of the threads here, and it seems to me that I might do best buying a set of Freshadamas from PP. What are your thoughts/opinions on their products & the quality?

Since this will be her first pair of REAL pearl earrings (I believe that she has a strand of real pearls tucked away somewhere), I was thinking about buying her a set of Freshadama studs, in white, in the 7.5-8mm size (she has a rather small head, and it seems safest to go with this size, am I right?) I also was thinking about asking to have the studs in 14kt white gold, since all of the other jewelery I've bought her and she wears daily is either platinum or white gold. The link below shows the exact Freshadama studs that I was initially (with your kind help) thinking about purchasing:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-freshadama-studs-from-pearl-paradise-arrived.136100/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-freshadama-studs-from-pearl-paradise-arrived.136100/[/URL]

The list price on PP is $76. http://www.pearlparadise.com/7580-mm-White-Freshadama-Freshwater-Pearl-Stud-Earrings771.aspx

What are your thoughts on this? Is this a fair price, and will the luster on whites be nice enough? I think that going with some classic whites first would be safest, but I don't want them to be too understated, if that makes sense?

Also, I seem to remember Bean mentioning in one of her older (2010) posts that PP has a code that one can enter to get $15 off? What exactly is that code and is it still active? If not does anyone else know of another code or something applicable to PS members? I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks again for your help!

- Cherokee

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
See their Pearl Points program (link at bottom of PP home page)-- you an get $5 off a purchase up to $200 using the code 2013-5

That is a good size for everyday wear, and the earrings will be lovely!

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
What a sweet thing to do for your wife! These are something I am sure she will treasure and wear for many many years! I think PP Freshadama's in white gold is an excellent choice. I am very thin/petite (and have small feautures) and wear my 8.6mm white akoya studs often. They really do match with everything.

I am not sure I would wear studs much smaller though. Can you swing these 8.5-9mm freshadamas http://www.pearlparadise.com/8590-mm-White-Freshadama-Freshwater-Pearl-Stud-Earrings-774.aspx? They are only a few dollars more, but I think she will be thrilled with this size! You can specifically request close to 8.5mm if you go this route.

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
pearlsngems|1380566432|3529677 said:
See their Pearl Points program (link at bottom of PP home page)-- you an get $5 off a purchase up to $200 using the code 2013-5

That is a good size for everyday wear, and the earrings will be lovely!

Thanks pearlsngems! I will most assuredly use the code, ans I hope that my wife will really like them!

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
LitGeek|1380567273|3529684 said:
What a sweet thing to do for your wife! These are something I am sure she will treasure and wear for many many years! I think PP Freshadama's in white gold is an excellent choice. I am very thin/petite (and have small feautures) and wear my 8.6mm white akoya studs often. They really do match with everything.

I am not sure I would wear studs much smaller though. Can you swing these 8.5-9mm freshadamas http://www.pearlparadise.com/8590-mm-White-Freshadama-Freshwater-Pearl-Stud-Earrings-774.aspx? They are only a few dollars more, but I think she will be thrilled with this size! You can specifically request close to 8.5mm if you go this route.

Hi LitGeek!

Thanks so much for your kind words. My wife should hopefully love them. She actually does not want me to get her anything at all asides from the cabin trip, but I just love buying her jewelery, and have bought several pieces in the last 2 years (the biggest being the ER, obviously!)

I think that I could swing the larger ones.

If I am understanding you correctly, are you saying that you think that someone with a small face and small features (she has a size 4 ring finger for reference and has a rather smaller head) will look best with a size 8.5mm?

As another question, I had noticed when comparing the two listings that the luster between the 8.5-9mm listing and the 7.5-8mm looked quite different. As you can tell, the former has more of a golden hue (see http://www.pearlparadise.com/8590-mm-White-Freshadama-Freshwater-Pearl-Stud-Earrings-774.aspx), whereas the smaller ones are more pure white with (maybe) less lustre (see: http://www.pearlparadise.com/7580-mm-White-Freshadama-Freshwater-Pearl-Stud-Earrings771.aspx)

I think I prefer the golden lustre. What do you think? Could I call them up on the phone and specify that I like those better?

On a similar note, since you stated that I could specifally ask to have them send me closer to the 8.5mm, what are your thoughts about buying the smaller ones and asking them to please send ones closer to the 8mm size? Will they do that? Also, do you think that that size would still look too small???

Thanks so much for your time! I truly appreciate your guidance.

- Cherokee

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Hi Cherokee - Personally, I think that the shape of your wife's earlobes will goven the size of pearls that will look good on her. Tiny elfin earlobes look good with smaller pearls, and larger earlobes can handle larger pearls. There is a fashion blog by the Seventh Sphinx where she models different sizes of pearls that you might find helpful.

http://www.theseventhsphinx.com/tag/how-to-choose-pearl-size/

Good luck. :wavey:

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, FlyGirl!

I will take a look at her earlobes tonight, but I'm pretty sure that they are more on the "elvish" side. However, I do find that I like the lustre/golden hue in the 8.5-9mmones in the links I posted above better.

Do you think that I could call the people at PP and specifically ask them to pick the ones with the best lustre and that have a warmer hue? The 7.5-8mm ones just look too "icy" to me. I think I like a little more warmth in the pearls (but do not want to branch out to darker hues, such as to play it safe and go with the classic white studs. Thanks!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
You can specify creamy overtones in your order. The photos you see are examples and are not of the exact pearls you will receive. There is a variety of overtones even in white pearls. It sounds like you want to avoid silvery overtones.

Yes, you can call and discuss your order with Pearl Paradise.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO, one cannot go wrong with Freshadamas from PP.

It is difficult to advise on size without seeing a pic of the person's face and earlobe. Age can also influence the size of pearls to wear, in that the more mature the lady, the bigger the size she can carry.

I personally would be inclined to get bigger ones in 8-9mm range.

As others have already mentioned, one can request a particular overtone for the pearls.

I am Chinese and prefer silver and silver rose overtones to peachy ones.

Although platinum earrings fittings are not listed on PP, you can try contacting them and request for platinum findings, as they should be able to source them for you from one of their suppliers, as platinum pearl stud earring fitting does exist (I checked and could find them listed in one of their supplier's website).

Good luck, and I am sure your gift and lovely gesture will be well-appreciated.

DK :)

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
If your wife has small earlobes, I would stick to the smaller size you are considering (personally, I like larger pearls except for studs. Large studs are awkward on small earlobes and don't position nicely). You can definitely work with PP regarding the overtone you prefer. I'm generally a silver or rose overtone person -- but it sounds like you prefer the ivory, cream overtone. Don't go by the picture of the studs. Those pearls come in all overtones. You can call PP or use their "chat" feature to specify what you are looking for.

Also, I'd stick to white gold if that is acceptable to you. Custom platinum may increase the price more than you'd like. My rings are platinum, but I'm perfectly happy with white gold, personally.

I have bought many, many pieces from PP and am generally very pleased. If you are not, they have an excellent, no questions asked, return policy.

What a thoughtful husband you are!

Please keep us posted. We love happy endings and ear shots of your wife wearing her beautiful new studs would be appreciated!

Good luck!

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
I still would go with the 8.5mm :wink2: I actually prefer white with silver overtones because strong rose overtones and cream pearls blend in with my skin and I prefer the pearls to pop. Give Pearl Paradise a call and discuss your wife's features and complexion and I am sure they will be able to find the perfect earrings for her.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regarding the color of the pearls in the PP photos of the 2 sizes, remember that those are representative photos, not the specific pearl earrings you would receive. (Elsewhere on PP there are pages where it is stated that the buyer receives the exact item photographed, but that is not the case here.)

So, you could request whatever body color (e.g. white, cream) or overtones (e.g. rose, silver) you wish for any size pearl studs.

I also prefer my white pearls to stand out from my skin rather than blend in.

As far as size of round pearl studs, remember that the larger their diameter, the more they protrude laterally. Some women prefer to buy button shaped earrings for larger sizes, as they lie flatter against the ear. (I have large ear lobes but I often wear my 7.5-8mm studs, saving my 9-9.5mm round studs for times when I am wearing my larger pearl necklaces.)

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all VERY much for your replies! :bigsmile: Everyone on this sub-forum is just as friendly and helpful as on RT, and I'm really glad that I turned here!

I will plan to give PP a call either today or tomorrow. I feel much more confident when discussing with them now, thanks to all of your kind advice. At the moment, I think that I leaning towards going with the 7.5-8mm Freshadamas (probably with a white body color), with a white gold base. However, I am still a bit unsure as to what color overtone to choose, which brings me to 2 additional questions, if any of you would be so kind as to give your advice:

(1). Does anyone know if PP would, upon request, be able to email me a sampling of different overtone colors compared side-to-side, or does anyone know of a PS thread showing pics of the different overtone colors? (also, are the only overtone colors available ivory, rose, and silver?)

(2). My wife is Caucasian, and has very pale skin and very small features. She has dark brown hair, blue eyes, and is quite fair. I can imagine that personal preference varies A LOT, but do any of you have any advice as a preferred or popular overtone to suit someone with a very pale, white complexion?

Thank you all so much! Your help is immensely appreciated! Sincerely,

Cherokee

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
bsomlo|1380653098|3530253 said:
Here is PP's write-up on pearl color, overtones, and general advise -- towards the bottom of the page under "Pearl Color":

http://www.pearlparadise.com/pearlqualityguide.html

Thanks so much for that link, bsomlo! I could not find that on the PP website no matter how much I searched.

The color guide was very helpful. I found the following info from the site particularly helpful: "rosé overtones tend to look best on fair skin, while cream and gold-toned pearls are most flattering to those with darker complexions." Given this advice, and given the fact that my wife has a very fair complexion, I was thinking that the silver rose overtone might look best? (I think that I am now steered away from the ivory). The plain silver, to me, looks just a little to "stark", and it sounds like rose goes great with fair skin, but the straight rose would be too "over the top" for my wife, who is not a huge fan of pure pink.

So what is the general consensus, if you all would be so kind as to lend me your opinions, do you think that a silver-rose overtone with white gold would look good? Thanks so much!

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Yes! I am fair skinned and that is my favorite, silver with a touch of rose.

But there is no right and wrong. It is a matter of personal taste.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Does she have pink tones in her skin? You will know if she gets pink when she exercises or gets hot or blushes easily (the whole Scottish/Irish thing). I am very fair with pink tones to my skin, so the rose overtones get lost on me. If she doesn't have pinkish coloring then the rose overtones would be lovely!

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
LitGeek|1380654246|3530267 said:
Does she have pink tones in her skin? You will know if she gets pink when she exercises or gets hot or blushes easily (the whole Scottish/Irish thing). I am very fair with pink tones to my skin, so the rose overtones get lost on me. If she doesn't have pinkish coloring then the rose overtones would be lovely!

Thanks for both of your opinions, LitGeek and bsomlo!

As for my Wife's complexion, she is rather Irish, and she does, in fact, turn pinksh when she exercises/cries/etc. But she is rather pale generally. Such a tough choice between the two!!

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
bsomlo|1380654025|3530263 said:

bsomlo and I are essentially saying the same thing...white with silver overtones. The white with silver overtone akoyas I have do have a touch of rose but do not have strong rose overtones. I am sure she will love anything that you choose.

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
LitGeek|1380657816|3530299 said:
bsomlo|1380654025|3530263 said:

bsomlo and I are essentially saying the same thing...white with silver overtones. The white with silver overtone akoyas I have do have a touch of rose but do not have strong rose overtones. I am sure she will love anything that you choose.

Thanks very much, LitGeek. You have been most helpful! Also, I scanned through all of your prior posts and you have an exquisite collection! :appl: I am usually more into colored stones, but I think that you are certainly turning me into a pearl guy.

After reading through the threads (this one has some great comparison pics between silver-rose vs. silver overtones: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/freshadamas-and-freshwater-questions.147920/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/freshadamas-and-freshwater-questions.147920/[/URL]), I can certainly see what you are saying about the silver overtone having a small touch of rose, which I think looks nice. My wife has a very similar complexion as you, so I think that I totally cannot go wrong with the silver!

Thanks so much again! I will be placing my order asap!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the color doesn't suit her after all, they are returnable or exchangeable for 90 days. But I think you are headed in the right direction.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pearlsngems|1380667790|3530394 said:
If the color doesn't suit her after all, they are returnable or exchangeable for 90 days. But I think you are headed in the right direction.
Not sure if that still holds true for custom or special orders, e.g. with platinum findings instead of 14k WG.

DK :confused:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's right, platinum would be a custom order and thus not refundable. However, the OP didn't actually say he wanted to order them in platinum-- only that he'd like to order them in white gold, since his wife wears white gold and platinum.

OP, white gold settings will look stunning. My FW white studs are set in white gold as well-- the cool color of the metal echoes the cool tones of the pearls.

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all very much for your input... it is much appreciated! I have decided to go with the silver overtone, in a WG setting. Also, after giving more consideration to how very small my wife's ears are, I think that I will be going with the 7.5-8mm size. I plan to place my order via phone with PP, though, and I will ask them if it is possible for them to select for me a set that is closer to the 8mm size. I hope that they might be able to work with me on that, as that size will be perfect!

Well, thank you all again! I know that my wife will love them!

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Happy to help :)) I am sure PP will be able to find a pair close to 8mm for her.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
8mm is a good, all day every day in every situation size for white pearls studs, and Freshadama are the top quality pearls from Pearl Paradise so you won't go far wrong.
iI'm personally a person who loves a pearl as big as possible, mind - I have 14mm metallic buttons! But our 5mm are surprisingly popular.
It takes all sorts and I don't think there are any rules

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
Pearlescence|1380828215|3531590 said:
8mm is a good, all day every day in every situation size for white pearls studs, and Freshadama are the top quality pearls from Pearl Paradise so you won't go far wrong.
iI'm personally a person who loves a pearl as big as possible, mind - I have 14mm metallic buttons! But our 5mm are surprisingly popular.
It takes all sorts and I don't think there are any rules

Thanks very much for your reply. I am glad to hear your reference to "all day every day," as, since this is the first (and hopefully not last :naughty: ) pearl purchase that I have made for my wife, I was hoping to get her something versatile that she could wear whenever. Cannot wait to get them in the mail!

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
do a quick google images check on HM the Queen. Her everydays are 8mm white studs. You can't say better than that!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results