shape
carat
color
clarity

pick a Baroque Tahitian strand from PearlParadise for my Mom

leecube

Rough_Rock
Hi guys, I'm new to pearls, so I am asking for your help. PearlParadise is currently have a sale on the baroque Tahitian necklaces. http://www.pearlparadise.com/Baroque-and-Keshi-Tahitian-Pearl-Strands225.aspx?page=1 I think I'm comfortable with spending as much as $500 if needed.

I don't think my Mom has a preference towards color. She has a dark gray Tahitian strand already. So I think it'll be nice to get her something with a strong peacock overtone. I also know that given the choice, she would prefer larger sized pearls...who doesn't right? haha...

To be honest, to me, they all look so similar that I don't even know how to pick. Please help! I'd love to see what people would pick.

Many thanks in advance!!

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Re: pick a Baroque Tahitian strand from PearlParadise for my

Here is my choice and I can not believe it is still on that page for the simple reason blue body pearls are very, very rare.

http://www.pearlparadise.com/18inch-AA-100119-mm-Baroque-Tahitian-Pearl-Necklace-4664.aspx

18-inch AA+ 10.0-11.9 mm Baroque Tahitian Pearl Necklace
Item Code: TAN000-873

This luxurious necklace is composed of Tahitian baroque pearls with a very dark blue-green body color. The pearls are in the nice substantial size range of 10.0 to 11.9 mm and have a classic baroque shape with circles. The pearls have some light blemishes, smooth surfaces, very high luster and rich peacock overtones. This strand is about as dark as Tahitian pearls get, while still possessing iridescent overtones and orient.

Let us know what you end up choosing

leecube

Rough_Rock

So everyone picked a different strand. Interesting! I guess it is true that pearl colors are such a personal thing. I know that my Mom has a strand of dark silver/gray, so I'll probably not go with the darker one.

I'm really loving the green and the blue/green one! Green here, http://www.pearlparadise.com/18inch-AA-100120-mm-Baroque-Tahitian-Pearl-Necklace-4663.aspx Blue/gree here, http://www.pearlparadise.com/18inch-AA-100119-mm-Baroque-Tahitian-Pearl-Necklace-4664.aspx

I think she'll like the green one more only because it looks like it shows the peacock overtone more? Is it because it is lighter in color than the blue/green one, and hence shows the peacock more? Or is it just because I have un-trained eyes? Anyway, that said, I also know that my mother (sigh..mothers) would be thrilled to own the blue/green IF she finds out how rare they are...and presumably, more valuable.

I'm a little torned. Can I ask, are these decent prices for baroques of this quality? Because I actually don't need it in a rush, they're going to be my Mom's 60th birthday present for next November. So I have plenty of time to sit and wait if you guys think I should.

Lastly, I've just browsed Jose's website and these are some baroques in a similar price range. I know some is sold out now, but Jose said they always have tons in their inventory. What do you think of these? Are they comparable? Because if they are, or even better, than I might give Jose a call to see if they have anything.

Multi color 9-11mm http://www.tahitianpearls.biz/tahitian-pearl-necklace/multi_color_tahitian_pearl_necklace_tnmu.htm

Teardrop dark peacock 10-12mm http://www.tahitianpearls.biz/tahitian-pearl-necklace/teardrop-tahitian-pearl-necklace-tnxd.htm

Drop shape multi color 8-10mm http://www.tahitianpearls.biz/tahitian-pearl-necklace/colorful-tahitian-pearl-necklace-tnmy.htm

leecube

Rough_Rock

Sorry, one more question. Do you know if PP charges a restocking fee if I end up returning my pearls for a full refund? TIA!

leecube|1355455299|3330847 said:
Sorry, one more question. Do you know if PP charges a restocking fee if I end up returning my pearls for a full refund? TIA!

I've never been charged but of course they have to be in new condition and you need to pay return shipping. I've never had a problem returning anything with them.

leecube

Rough_Rock

Okay, thanks. It's good to know. Because I online chatted with them a while back and they told me they do charge a re-stocking fee. I guess that have changed now. Thanks for letting me know.

I would double check...

I could see a restocking fee for a custom piece, but I've honestly never heard of them doing a restocking fee. I will look at the site again myself.

mynattk

Shiny_Rock

I love those multi color 9-11mm on the Tahitian pearls website. so many cool colors!

naria

Shiny_Rock

I returned a baroque Tahitian strand to PP just a few weeks ago. Full refund, no restocking fee.

leecube

Rough_Rock

Thanks for letting me know, naria. May I ask, why did you decide to return it? Do you mind showing me the link to the one you brought? And can you tell me why you're unhappy with it. This is perfect, it can give me some insights! Thanks a lot!

K9

Brilliant_Rock

I personally like the greens that baby monster linked.

As for the restocking fee - there is typically no restocking fee. If you have the necklace modified (say, to add an inch or something like that), there is a small restringing fee deducted from the return.

naria

Shiny_Rock

The one I bought is not on the website. It was the tail end of their tahitians at the time and heavily circled. I like circling, but the circles themselves were very dull and therefore not attractive. The current crop on the website seems all around to be higher quality even for the same price I paid (mine was also on 20% sale). I will say that no matter what light I exposed the pearls to, I could not get them to look even 50% as lively as their photos.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

leecube|1355455118|3330845 said:
So everyone picked a different strand. Interesting! I guess it is true that pearl colors are such a personal thing. I know that my Mom has a strand of dark silver/gray, so I'll probably not go with the darker one.

I'm really loving the green and the blue/green one! Green here, http://www.pearlparadise.com/18inch-AA-100120-mm-Baroque-Tahitian-Pearl-Necklace-4663.aspx Blue/gree here, http://www.pearlparadise.com/18inch-AA-100119-mm-Baroque-Tahitian-Pearl-Necklace-4664.aspx

I think she'll like the green one more only because it looks like it shows the peacock overtone more? Is it because it is lighter in color than the blue/green one, and hence shows the peacock more? Or is it just because I have un-trained eyes? Anyway, that said, I also know that my mother (sigh..mothers) would be thrilled to own the blue/green IF she finds out how rare they are...and presumably, more valuable.

I'm a little torned. Can I ask, are these decent prices for baroques of this quality? Because I actually don't need it in a rush, they're going to be my Mom's 60th birthday present for next November. So I have plenty of time to sit and wait if you guys think I should.

Lastly, I've just browsed Jose's website and these are some baroques in a similar price range. I know some is sold out now, but Jose said they always have tons in their inventory. What do you think of these? Are they comparable? Because if they are, or even better, than I might give Jose a call to see if they have anything.

Multi color 9-11mm http://www.tahitianpearls.biz/tahitian-pearl-necklace/multi_color_tahitian_pearl_necklace_tnmu.htm

Teardrop dark peacock 10-12mm http://www.tahitianpearls.biz/tahitian-pearl-necklace/teardrop-tahitian-pearl-necklace-tnxd.htm

Drop shape multi color 8-10mm http://www.tahitianpearls.biz/tahitian-pearl-necklace/colorful-tahitian-pearl-necklace-tnmy.htm

Pearls are such a personal thing. My mom doesn't like the same strands I like so be sure you're picking with her in mind. The first and third strands from Jose are amazing. Great choices. You have a year to choose a strand. I'd say take your time and see what's available and what colors your mom would like. That said, PP's holiday prices for those tahitians are very competitive and sometimes finding a color you like at a great price can take some time. So if you see a great strand that you love, get it.

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock

I bought 2 Tahitian necklaces this month from pearloasis.com .I like them both ,one is multicolored and the other has red & green overtones .by the way overtones in any type of pearl is hard to spot by me !

leecube

Rough_Rock

naria, thanks for your insights.

leecube

Rough_Rock

jeweln|1355583906|3331967 said:
I bought 2 Tahitian necklaces this month from pearloasis.com .I like them both ,one is multicolored and the other has red & green overtones .by the way overtones in any type of pearl is hard to spot by me !

Can you show me the link to the two necklaces that you brought? Or better yet, show us some pictures! Thanks!

leecube

Rough_Rock

baby monster|1355538861|3331757 said:
Pearls are such a personal thing. My mom doesn't like the same strands I like so be sure you're picking with her in mind. The first and third strands from Jose are amazing. Great choices. You have a year to choose a strand. I'd say take your time and see what's available and what colors your mom would like. That said, PP's holiday prices for those tahitians are very competitive and sometimes finding a color you like at a great price can take some time. So if you see a great strand that you love, get it.

Thanks for your reply. I think I'll take your advice and take my time in choosing a strand. My Mom will be visiting me soon. I think I'll show her the new multi that I got from BlueNile and see which color she gravitates towards. That way, I can get a sense of what she likes more.

Although I'm really afraid that I'll regret later not jumping on the 20% discount! Decisions...decisions...hum..

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock

and a bad picture of both necklaces :

dsc00630.jpg

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock

leecube|1355645076|3332529 said:
baby monster|1355538861|3331757 said:

Thanks for your reply. I think I'll take your advice and take my time in choosing a strand. My Mom will be visiting me soon. I think I'll show her the new multi that I got from BlueNile and see which color she gravitates towards. That way, I can get a sense of what she likes more.

Although I'm really afraid that I'll regret later not jumping on the 20% discount! Decisions...decisions...hum..
The Strands that are on sale now probably won't be on sale again once they are all gone. If 500 is your top budget usually that price rance is not there.

leecube

Rough_Rock

Thanks for your reply 4Ranch Girl. That is exactly my fear! I'm afraid that if I skip this, I won't be able to find another strand within my budget. Seeing how you have physically visited PP's office. Can I ask, are the pearls usually more impressive in person? I mean, I am really intrigued by the Dark Blue-Green that you chose for me, http://www.pearlparadise.com/18inch-AA-100119-mm-Baroque-Tahitian-Pearl-Necklace-4664.aspx But I'm not sure if it's just the picture, or the fact that these are "Dark" in body color, instead of just blue-green. I'm not seeing that distinct peacock overtone as described.

Also, with regarding the shape, would these show up more or less round in real life? Because I actually don't mind a big, fat plum DROP, but PP doesn't seem to carry any drop Tahitians. Are drops usually less expensive?

Lastly, for anyone who have purchased from PP before, would I be able to fit their jewelry box in a small pre-paid USPS flat rate box? Just in case I need to ship these back to CA.

Many thanks again for everyone's help!

leecube

Rough_Rock

jeweln|1355674085|3332698 said:
and a bad picture of both necklaces :

Thanks for the pictures, jeweln. Can I ask, what are the stats for the bottom strand? They look quite round. What size are they? What color? And how much were these, if you don't mind me asking? Many thanks again!

naria

Shiny_Rock

PP does carry drops, but they are more money and tend to be higher than your 500 budget, but you could call them and ask about their drop stock to see for sure. Circled pearls tend to be the cheaper form of baroque. That being said, circled pearls can be lovely, and in someways more lovely than rounds. The circles make it easier for the same pearl to exhibit multiple colors over its body and demonstrate more orient in general.

I think it would be a mistake to think about these pearls in terms of roundness. These are organic non-round shapes which are pretty in a different way from rounds. If you have a strong preference for rounds, it would be best to pass and save a budget of at least 2000.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock

leecube|1355689829|3332856 said:
Thanks for your reply 4Ranch Girl. That is exactly my fear! I'm afraid that if I skip this, I won't be able to find another strand within my budget. Seeing how you have physically visited PP's office. Can I ask, are the pearls usually more impressive in person? I mean, I am really intrigued by the Dark Blue-Green that you chose for me, http://www.pearlparadise.com/18inch-AA-100119-mm-Baroque-Tahitian-Pearl-Necklace-4664.aspx But I'm not sure if it's just the picture, or the fact that these are "Dark" in body color, instead of just blue-green. I'm not seeing that distinct peacock overtone as described.

Also, with regarding the shape, would these show up more or less round in real life? Because I actually don't mind a big, fat plum DROP, but PP doesn't seem to carry any drop Tahitians. Are drops usually less expensive?

Lastly, for anyone who have purchased from PP before, would I be able to fit their jewelry box in a small pre-paid USPS flat rate box? Just in case I need to ship these back to CA.

Many thanks again for everyone's help!
Most of my strands have been bought from Pearl Paradise and they are smooth drops, which is my favorite prefered shape. On thread "I thought I would share" there is a picture of my blue body strand next to my black body strand that is a neck shot both are peacock overtone. It will give you an idea of dark body color. The strands on sale are from pearls that they posted on their facebook page in a bowl they called the treats for the trick or treaters. On the thread I posted about my latest trip to PP you can see me holding a handfull of pearls. These are a few of the pearls from the bowl that were held back and not sent to be made into the strands. One importand thing to remember is to choose a strand with good definite overtones. Happy shopping.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock

The trick or treat strands that Pearl Paradise is selling are also special because of the size of the pearls. You may find some circle` pearls later, but they won't be this size MM pearls. Ya snooze, ya loose.

leecube

Rough_Rock

NacreLover|1355749129|3333314 said:
The trick or treat strands that Pearl Paradise is selling are also special because of the size of the pearls. You may find some circle` pearls later, but they won't be this size MM pearls. Ya snooze, ya loose.

Sorry, what are the trick or treat strands? And what are MM pearls?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock

Jeremy and his bride posted a photo on their facebook page at Halloween. It was of a bowl of huge loose pearls saying they were their Trick or Treat items. 4ranchgirl went to PP and photographed what was left over after they sent them to be drilled and strung. These are the strands of baroque pearls you are considering at to buy. Large MilliMeter pearls.

_2423.jpg

bowl_of_0.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results