shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearly 2015 Projects or desired acquisitions

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
2015 is just a few hours away! HUZZAH!

I wonder what all you ladies have in store for your pearl wardrobes for 2015, wish lists, or upcoming projects

My projects are
35 or 54 Inch Tin cup, in my scattered style, with extremely baroque blue akoyas, and mixed tahitians
a Kamoka Strand (deciding between baroque, harvest, or round)
Extremely orange/pink metallic FW rope
and (please don't tar and feather me) I LOVE Harry potter, and I have a very inexpensive golden snitch pendant. I thought it would be interesting to see if I could recreate it with a GSS and 14kt gold wing charms. We will see!

large.jpg

Wishlists
Keira Strand
Holy Grail ripples
Japanese Kasumi Anything (I like the idea of a ring)
SoC Mabe Earrings
Extremely metallic Fireball pendant

I may add more to the list.

what about you all?

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I wrote a lengthy reply, ipad freezed on me again!
I love your projects! I like the golden snitch idea, if you are make an armor for the top of your pearl so the wings are outstretched it'll look so cool, and shiny. :love:

My list, recycle existing strand and converting it to Gellner type torsade, getting some black 'spinels' from Etsy.
Go to the Singapore gem fair, swim in the pearls, hunt for IceJade grade pearls. This is the least achieveable wish at the moment, depending if I have time to visit.
A pair of large South sea pearl baroque earrings.
A pair of round south sea pearl earrings in yellow gold to go with my tin cup.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am due to visit my folks in HK in Nov 2015, and shall plan my trip so that I can attend HK Jewellery Manufacturers' Association's show at the same time.

It has a section dedicated to pearls, and I shall look for a couple of large pearls 20mm+ for pendants, a Tahitian, and a white SSP, plus whatever else that take my fancy.

Not planning to spend to much as I am saving up for my trip to LA in 2016 for the Ruckus that usually includes a trip to PP!

DK :))

Bailey1856

Shiny_Rock
My wish list: three strands of GSSP (17",20", 30") and two strands of Tahitians (25", 35"). Both ideas from POJ and PP blogs. I would also like a tahitian stretch bracelet or a cuff, something that doesn't slide around my wrist.

I bought some loose Tahitians to add to my multicoloured strand to make it into a harvest strand. I should have enough to make it a 35" rope. I also bought two unstrung strands of the POJ baby ripples. I have all what I need to start stringing but with the holidays I got busy (and I'm also procrastinating since it's going be my first time stringing).

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
ckrickett, I think it would be surprisingly easy to create a Golden Snitch. There are golden angel wing charms just about everywhere, and then you'd just need the pearl.

My wish list ... I've been wanting a Tahitian pearl bracelet for a while, but I have yet to see one that makes my heart sing. I really like Icy Jade's charm bracelet, so maybe that's the way to go.

Otherwise, I have a nice sampler of pearls, and don't really need anything. I'm blessed.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
I'd like another little h piece and some sort of pearl ring. Maybe another souffle ring.

I do have four SoC mabes to set...

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I just want a big fat colourful Tahitian for a pendant.
Two nice drop WSS for earrings about 13mm Not sure about the weight..I'd like a bit bigger but think they might be too heavy ? Any suggestions on weight and size - I actually don't own a pair of pearl earrings lol
And I would love a beautiful Harvest strand but have yet to find one that catches my eye.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I love that golden snitch! It's too cute!

I would love to get these if I meet any that makes my heart sing (and doesn't kill my bank account):
- WSSP strand, with matching studs n drops, all in silvery white overtones
- Keira strand made of large tahitians
- Double strand of fwp white metallics, with matching studs and large drops
- Colorful circled Tahitian rope
- Large fwp drops in exotic colors for huggies earrings
- GSSP studs
- SoC mabes for earrings and ring, and perhaps a pendant...

Ok, so my list is a little longer than I'd expected... :think:

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
ckrickett|1420086321|3810359 said:
and (please don't tar and feather me) I LOVE Harry potter, and I have a very inexpensive golden snitch pendant. I thought it would be interesting to see if I could recreate it with a GSS and 14kt gold wing charms. We will see!

large.jpg

This is a fantastic idea!! Huge HP fan here too, and would love to own a GSS snitch! I was also hoping to make a fine jewelry version of the hallows symbol at some point (have seen a zillion inexpensive versions at cons and stores, but nothing I would really want to wear).

Being new to pearls and still collecting staples, my wishlist is fairly simple-
-Baroque blue akoya strand
-Mulicolour baroque tahitian strand

And then I have a couple of gem and pearl projects that may or may not happen this year-
-I have a golden emerald cut sunstone that would be wonderful in a pendant with a GSS.
-Two mint tourmalines and a kite cut dark teal spinel that I think would look amazing with tahitians with green and blue body and/or overtones.
-2 pairs of small round lavender spinels that would be fantastic in dangles with a couple of lavender metallic FW drops.

I guess we will see what budget and time will permit, since I hope to have a diamond bracelet and mint garnet ring made in 2015 too... Probably choosing 3 things off my list would be most realistic, since I can't seem to stop buying loose CS along the way too!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
My plans for 2015 include setting my Sea of Cortez pearls and getting a purple Edison ring. I'd also love to go to the 2015 Ruckus and select some more pearls in person at PP and from other vendors.

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
Happy New Year all :) My wishlist includes: Finishing the 2 modest pearl projects still in work from 2014, followed by attending a 2015 Ruckus, driving out this time with our vintage camper so we can see more of CA and heading north to Kojima :) ... and whatever pearl discoveries await ... remember, I'm calling this a "wishlist" ... and maybe a "fantasty wishlist". So might as well throw in a February visit to Tucson Gem Show, New Mexico to visit family, and then down to Guaymas; this one's really more on the "fantasy" side of that wishlist :(

For actual "projects" (or "fantasy projects" LOL) ... a geode idea for Hisano I've been thinking about ever since July Ruckus; a bit "out there" and not sure it's do-able at all ... a third white 32" rope to add to my 7 - 8mm and my 5 - 6mm ones, and not at all sure WHAT ... figuring out an enhancer bail for my fat wonderful white Tahitian drop ... finding a big fat Tahitian drop to wear on my Tahitian strands ... maybe a mixed WSS and GSS baroque necklace (I keep looking at the smaller one on PP, LOVE that one, although I liked even better the WSS and GSS Keshi strand that popped up just before Christmas and was already sold ...) ... I could go on and on and on ...

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
This is fun. Well, I got my first five pearl necklaces (together with three sets of pearl earrings, and a pearl ring) over the last four months, so I guess I am going to have to slow down... But, this coming year, I would like a strand of baroque Tahitian drops, and a pair of WSS dangle earrings, about 12-13mm. And a WSS pearl ring would be nice, too. Sigh. And then of course I'm sure I will be tempted by (and succumb to) other pearly pieces...

YC

Brilliant_Rock
I do not usually plan my pearl purchases and many purchases are bought on impulse. However, there are a few items which I covet:
1. Kiera strand - of that pearl size
2. Tear drop shaped non-circled WSS for earrings of at least 12-13mm
3. Pistachio Tahitian round or drop shaped pearls for earrings and ring
4. Saw a pair of Tahitian earrings at a local jeweller which has violet body colour. It did not look great on my ears but if I can get one pearl to set as a ring, I will be most happy.

But what I really need to do is to get the remaining of my loose pearls set into something. Most have been sitting around in my drawer for more than a year while I remain undecided about what to do with them.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I think the first I will tackle is the golden GSS snitch since most of the others rely on the march buying trip.

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
Reading this thread is dangerous LOL ... adding to the top of my list: Pistachio green baroque or drop Tahitian strand, similar to and inspired by the beautiful strand our friend Kay got recently :)

mynattk

Shiny_Rock
I'd like a nice fat Edison strand and a GSS strand or blue akoya strand. My list cannot be too long, we are buying baby stuff this year :angel:

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree that it's so dangerous to read all of these replies! My next desire is to have GSSP tin cup necklace. I'm quite unsure where to start though as there are so many GSSP shades so I'm not sure which one would go with my skintone.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
I wish to get a large WSS pearl for a pendant, and mount my current 14mm WSS pendant pearl in a ring or something. Though I am not sure how practical a pearl ring would be! Also not sure if it would look silly to wear a giant pearl pendant on a petite body frame. :twirl:

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
I am short with very small hands and happily wear my 14.1mm (who's counting?) GSS ring. Go for it!

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
It's truly dangerous to read the replies! :bigsmile: I am now thinking of a 18-20mm WSS pearl for the pendant! :naughty: However, I already got comments that my 14mm pedant looks like a Christmas ball...

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to admit...I don't plan things, I tend to buy on impulse.

There are few things that I would like, but I'm not sure are going to be in the cards anytime soon.

I'd love a longer length akoya necklace - maybe 24 - 25 inches.
I'd also love a Madama set, a round triple white strand (round metallics would probably be my preference, but if a fairy godmother appeared to offer me akoyas, I would not say no!), and a strand of round Tahitians. I always think I would like a long Tahitian multicolour strand too (like the silver/grey one that Bsomio modeled), but the truth is, every time I connect my existing strands into a double, I'm cursing at it by the end of the day as I somehow find a way to bump and swing it into everything. Maybe I just need a shorter long strand (one that hits just above the bust so that it doesn't swing around on me).

I have to admit, I think I overbought last year. I was in a frenzy. Maybe my resolution this year is to be more temperate with my impulse buys.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Cookie|1420479908|3812130 said:
It's truly dangerous to read the replies! :bigsmile: I am now thinking of a 18-20mm WSS pearl for the pendant! :naughty: However, I already got comments that my 14mm pedant looks like a Christmas ball...

Just be careful wearing that size. When I bend over with my huge fireball it hits me when I stand back up so I have to be aware of it and move more gently. Maybe try on a pearl that size just to see how it feels moving around with it.

neck_shot_35.jpg

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
bsomlo|1420481919|3812139 said:
Just be careful wearing that size. When I bend over with my huge fireball it hits me when I stand back up so I have to be aware of it and move more gently. Maybe try on a pearl that size just to see how it feels moving around with it.

Thank you for the warning! Your fireball is amazingly beautiful. :drool:

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
cmd2014 ... I've found the same issue wearing my Tahitians connected together into a long rope ... banging into things, especially desks, restaurant tables etc. However, as mine is really 2 round necklaces connected by Orbit clasps, when I find myself in trouble I just click the clasps and convert to 2 necklaces ... a matter of moments, temporary problem solved LOL ... I love those clasps! So if you're pining for a long rope, add some Orbit clasps :)

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Cookie|1420479136|3812124 said:
I wish to get a large WSS pearl for a pendant, and mount my current 14mm WSS pendant pearl in a ring or something. Though I am not sure how practical a pearl ring would be! Also not sure if it would look silly to wear a giant pearl pendant on a petite body frame. :twirl:

I adore pearl rings, but I am very clumsy with my hands and bang them into everything (thank GOD my Ering is sturdy!!!) So wearing big beautiful pearl rings is not for me, but mabe rings on the other hand! :love: :love:

I'd factor that into getting a ring, same with pendants. Do you bend over a lot and might get it caught in things? Will it hit you like Bsolmo's gorgeous fireball? Which ever you choose I bet it will be beautiful.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Years ago I would be wearing a pendant on a long chain, and found that it would hit the side of the drinking fountain when I used it. So, I learned to hold my necklace or pendant when leaning over.

Of course, this works fine in an office environment, where you can anticipate your sitting and standing, but less fine when, say, chasing small children around.

As for wearing pearl rings, start small. :tongue:

I would like to add purple freshwater metallic earrings to my 2015 wish list. :bigsmile: :naughty:

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Mabe pearl rings can be fragile, so I wouldn't think of them as an alternative to a regular pearl. Mabe pearls can also sit up high. (I really like mabe pearls.)

I have a huge fireball pendant that is really heavy. While there can be an allure to large pearls, there are drawbacks, as well.

I remember wearing a simple 13mm GSS, and a stranger commented "That's a really big pearl." Pearls don't have to be enormous to be impressive.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I would love to have a gigantic pearl the size of a golf ball! Not being able to move all day at all would be quite an acceptable trade off to me. :naughty:

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
ckrickett|1420510239|3812351 said:
I'd factor that into getting a ring, same with pendants. Do you bend over a lot and might get it caught in things? Will it hit you like Bsolmo's gorgeous fireball? Which ever you choose I bet it will be beautiful.

I usually wear my pendants on an 18" chain in the office, where bending/ hitting is not much an issue. Though I do have a similar problem as Bsolmo, with one of my big rose quartz pendant (18mm, 19ct)... I could definitely feel the weight hitting me when I stand back up. :errrr:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results