color
clarity

Pearls, new old.....

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
baby monster|1355619746|3332370 said:
canuk-gal|1355609883|3332286 said:
I meant to say that the chain on the L of L is very fine and tangles so easily it is frustrating. I do not have the same issues with the heavier guages in the other chains.

Moreover, the L of L has the chain right through the pearls whereas the other necklaces--all made from the same bench--have a bar thru the pearl and the chain attached to a loop on the end of the bar.

cheers--Sharon

Loving all of the chain necklaces :love:. So pretty.

Is there a difference between the 2 methods - bar vs chain thru pearl? I've been thinking about getting a long tincup style necklace and would love to get more info on the best way of putting them together.

HI:

Sorry I meant to add the bar deisgn prevents the pearls from moving, in other words the pearls are stationary. With my L of L chain the pearls move and that is part of the beauty--but are stopped by the little gold designs or they would all fall down to the bottom of the necklace....

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gailey|1355630482|3332466 said:
Your earrings are just stunning my friend and I can't wait to see them. A wonderful addition to your already sublime collection. I remember you wearing those tin cup strands to lunch at Mercato. Looked amazing with your little black Gucci (?) dress. I don't doubt that you look equally amazing in your new earrings. Just make sure they have very secure backs when I'm around!

And to all reading, I can also attest to nary a line or a wrinkle. Dunno how she does it, but she does it and she does it in style!!!!

HI:

Gailey! :wavey: Wonderful to see you here--and thanks for the compliments! It was you who turned me on to Sea of Cortez pearls...and of course you ordered the pearls from CC along with your own great stash! You had a large hand in this business!!!

Speaking of backs--I have to wear those jumbo plastic back to keep the earrings from falling forward. Works like charm! I'll try and find some in karat gold.

Oh phooey about the wrinkles--it is Gailey who had the flawless peach and creme skin!

BTW, thanks for posting the pictures, and you are correct they show better on the wrist and I never wear them with a neckline as pictured that day.

cheers--Sharon

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1355672673|3332679 said:
I meant to say that the chain on the L of L is very fine and tangles so easily it is frustrating. I do not have the same issues with the heavier guages in the other chains.

Moreover, the L of L has the chain right through the pearls whereas the other necklaces--all made from the same bench--have a bar thru the pearl and the chain attached to a loop on the end of the bar.

cheers--Sharon

Is there a difference between the 2 methods - bar vs chain thru pearl? I've been thinking about getting a long tincup style necklace and would love to get more info on the best way of putting them together.

HI:

Sorry I meant to add the bar deisgn prevents the pearls from moving, in other words the pearls are stationary. With my L of L chain the pearls move and that is part of the beauty--but are stopped by the little gold designs or they would all fall down to the bottom of the necklace....

cheers--Sharon

Thanks. The sliding issue was part of my question. I would prefer the pearls to be stationary. Also, were your pearls drilled to accomodate a thicker wire? I have a strand that is strung on silk but would like to redo it into a tincup. Would they have to be re-drilled? Does that even make sense financially rather than starting from scratch with new pearls?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
baby monster|1355678532|3332752 said:

cheers--Sharon

HI:

cheers--Sharon

Thanks. The sliding issue was part of my question. I would prefer the pearls to be stationary. Also, were your pearls drilled to accomodate a thicker wire? I have a strand that is strung on silk but would like to redo it into a tincup. Would they have to be re-drilled? Does that even make sense financially rather than starting from scratch with new pearls?

HI:

I cannot say for sure if they were redrilled, but I rather think, no...because of that labour intensive work. The filament/wire that goes through doesn't need to be heavy/large, as one can attach a heavier guage chain to a small wire. The more product that is added, the heavier the necklace.

Ya, I hear you on the whole "is it worth it"...issue. Economies of scale keep cost down so buying ready made at PP who have great deals, begs that question. All I can say is that I wear my pearl necklaces a lot....they are versatile, so it was worth it to me. Thing is, if you have a strand of pearls that you are not wearing them as is (and don't plan on selling them or giving them away), it is a viable option.

You can always have them restrung on silk and add gold rondells in between the pearls of you didn't want a tin cup necklace. They even have colored stone and diamond rondelles!! :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

cheers--Sharon

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely collection :appl: :appl:

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
baby monster|1355678532|3332752 said:

cheers--Sharon

HI:

cheers--Sharon

baby monster- I asked PP what gauge wire they use for the tin cups and Hisano said it is 26 gauge. I have some 26 gauge rose gold wire on order and will let you know if it goes through the pearls OK. They did not say that they needed to drill the holes larger to do it.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1355672521|3332675 said:
pinkjewel|1355655421|3332560 said:
Your collection is lovely!! Hard to pick a favorite as they are all beautiful.

I'm working on a long tin cup right now with the souffle pearls I just purchased and am wondering if you have any idea of the mm size of the chain your jeweler used? I had to send one tin cup back I just received as the chain was soooo thin- it was tangled even when I opened the box and took me over an hour to carefully untangle it!! As it was going to be a gift to my sister, I knew she would not wear something that tangled so easily. I think the longer necklaces need a more substantial chain. Also- are you saying your jeweler made a thin gold wire bar with tiny jump rings on either side to connect the pearls? - or was it wire wrapped like PP does? I can't quite tell from your photos. When I looked at the Mikimoto tin cups it looks like they glue the little eyepins in either end of the pearls to connect their chains. I'm trying to make mine in rose gold, but it's really hard to find much in the way of findings.

HI:

The wire is itself is curled in a small loop--no extra jump rings--so the chain atttaches at that junction. Sorry I do not know the guage of the chain--I never did ask and I am afraid I do not have any calipers. But I have the same tangling issue with my L of L chain because of the find nature of the chain. Even when I have it sectioned off in a small plastic bag, it still tangles!

Ther wire method prevents the pearls from moving of course--but that could be mitigated by using very small gold balls too (I suppose) and glue as you mentioned.

cheers--Sharon

thanks for the info Sharon. It's hard for me to find rose gold chain larger than 1.4 to 1.5mm- but that seems like it would be too small. The size chain on yours looks really nice !! I'll just need to keep looking. =)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pinkjewel|1355683378|3332782 said:

I'm working on a long tin cup right now with the souffle pearls I just purchased and am wondering if you have any idea of the mm size of the chain your jeweler used? I had to send one tin cup back I just received as the chain was soooo thin- it was tangled even when I opened the box and took me over an hour to carefully untangle it!! As it was going to be a gift to my sister, I knew she would not wear something that tangled so easily. I think the longer necklaces need a more substantial chain. Also- are you saying your jeweler made a thin gold wire bar with tiny jump rings on either side to connect the pearls? - or was it wire wrapped like PP does? I can't quite tell from your photos. When I looked at the Mikimoto tin cups it looks like they glue the little eyepins in either end of the pearls to connect their chains. I'm trying to make mine in rose gold, but it's really hard to find much in the way of findings.

HI:

The wire is itself is curled in a small loop--no extra jump rings--so the chain atttaches at that junction. Sorry I do not know the guage of the chain--I never did ask and I am afraid I do not have any calipers. But I have the same tangling issue with my L of L chain because of the find nature of the chain. Even when I have it sectioned off in a small plastic bag, it still tangles!

Ther wire method prevents the pearls from moving of course--but that could be mitigated by using very small gold balls too (I suppose) and glue as you mentioned.

cheers--Sharon

thanks for the info Sharon. It's hard for me to find rose gold chain larger than 1.4 to 1.5mm- but that seems like it would be too small. The size chain on yours looks really nice !! I'll just need to keep looking. =)

HI:

No problem--anything to help! BTW, would PP offer this gold "restringing" service to anyone? I had mine done at my favorite bench, but I wonder if this is a service they might provide.......

cheers--Sharon

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Sweet sweet collection miss S!

And I agree with rose bloom: your skin is SUPER! :appl:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I keep coming back to check out your longer tin cups. I'm thinking I may have to have one in 2013! They are so fun.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rosetta|1355839559|3334313 said:
Sweet sweet collection miss S!

And I agree with rose bloom: your skin is SUPER! :appl:

HI Rosetta:

Thanks!! :bigsmile: :wavey:

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rosebloom|1355840565|3334368 said:
I keep coming back to check out your longer tin cups. I'm thinking I may have to have one in 2013! They are so fun.
HI:

Very fun! And don't need to break the bank. Can be dressed up or down. Depending on the length--you can wrap them twice or thrice around your neck....or simply long.

cheers--Sharon

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
canuk-gal|1355686283|3332825 said:

HI:

cheers--Sharon

HI:

No problem--anything to help! BTW, would PP offer this gold "restringing" service to anyone? I had mine done at my favorite bench, but I wonder if this is a service they might provide.......

cheers--Sharon
Hi Sharon
It would not hurt to ask PP if they would do this for you. But if they don't I can reccomend http://www.etsy.com/shop/patriciasaabdesigns?page=1 Pattye did some custom work for me. You can see the bracelet she made on my thread "My latest trip to PP" I am wearing it that day. It has a matching 74 inch necklace. it is a sort of tin cup wire wrapped white ss pearls with large chain between the pearls. I know she does custom work for several people. She is also making several new bracelets for me in the new year.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
4Ranch Girl|1355888820|3335277 said:
canuk-gal|1355686283|3332825 said:

HI:

cheers--Sharon

HI:

cheers--Sharon
Hi Sharon
It would not hurt to ask PP if they would do this for you. But if they don't I can reccomend http://www.etsy.com/shop/patriciasaabdesigns?page=1 Pattye did some custom work for me. You can see the bracelet she made on my thread "My latest trip to PP" I am wearing it that day. It has a matching 74 inch necklace. it is a sort of tin cup wire wrapped white ss pearls with large chain between the pearls. I know she does custom work for several people. She is also making several new bracelets for me in the new year.

HI:

Thanks for the tip! I should have asked, given your extensive knowledge and (enviable) collection! Very helpful indeed! :wavey:

cheers--Shaorn

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results