shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearl Virgin Needs Advice:-)

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I may be about to start a new job and I am lobbying DH that (in addition to the car we'll need to purchase for my commute :loopy: ) we should "invest" in a nice pearl set for me to wear to work :cheeky:

I definitely want a necklace and studs, but wouldn't turn down a bracelet too :wink2:

Our funds are limited but I want really gorgeous pearls :lol:

I want amazing lustre, very round, even and durable stringing, 14k or 18k yellow gold clasp (I work in NYC and have to attend a lot of fancy work events, I want pearls that will look lovely and classy with a black suit or sheath--and won't look like I bought them at TJ Maxx like my current strand :cheeky:.

I am 5'9", approaching my mid-thirties :-o , and "curvy". In my dreams I would have 9mm pearls, but for my budget I am looking at 7-8mm, 16 or 17 inch necklace length.

I don't really know if I would prefer a white or rose overtone. I have brown hair, blue/hazel eyes, and fair skin with neutral to slightly blue/pink undertones. Any thoughts on which would be better?

My budget for the whole purchase is $250-$500 with DH vastly preferring that I stay at or below the bottom limit, obviously the lower the price the better, but these pearls will probably never be upgraded, and definitely not for the next 10 years, so I'd like a set that is really gorgeous.

Here are the top options I've found (highest-lowest price), any thoughts on price vs. quality? (please feel free to let me know if you have better ideas too):

1. 7.5-8mm Freshadama set from PP (this is my top choice, but DH is not so sure about the approx. $500 price tag...I guess I need to negotiate a better offer at the job, maybe I can get them to include "pearl expense allowance" in my offer letter :saint: )
2. 7-8mm AAAA Freshwater from The Pearl Source $330 (including holiday coupon code which might expire before I make up my mind :rolleyes: )
3. 7.5-8mm AAA Freshwater from PP $330
4. 7.5-8mm AA+ Freshwater from PP $230

I need your help:)

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on the new job Bella. I just gave my sons girlfriend her first strand of pearls this past Christmas. She mentioned during a recient corprate visit all of the managers of the store had their strands of pearls on. She was thrilled to recieve her first one.

You mentioned that your new strand would not be replaced any time in the future so I would opt for the best and highest quality I could afford. That looks like either Freshadama or AAA with your budget. At your age I would not opt for a 16 inch because it would not be able to be lengthened in the future if need be. If anything I would get the 17 or even 18 inch strand. The earrings and bracelet could be added later. If you go with PP they usually have a valentines and Mother's Day special discount and that might help if you do not mind waiting a couple of months.

This strand in 18 inch AAA is $422 is what I would choose. It is very slightly graduated so you would have the size where it counts in front. Earrings later. This strand will stand the test of time as you age (size) and not need to be replaced either because of the quality.

http://www.pearlparadise.com/8090-mm-White-Freshwater-Pearl-Necklace544.aspx

Remember pearls are like potato chips and once you catch the bug you can't have just one. You can see a few of mine on the thread "I thought I would share"

Happy pearl hunting and be sure to let us know what you decide.

I'm going to agree with 4RG.
If you are curious though, I would ask if they could have someone photograph a AA+ strand next to a AAA strand for you. The difference might not be big enough for you to care.. and then I would get the earrings :) Really, I've asked PP many times for pictures.

I think that size will be absolutely classic and gorgeous. Personally, I would get the AAA.

BUT.... do you HAVE TO HAVE THEM right now? PP sometimes does a 14% off sale for V-day..... which would bring them down to $363 :bigsmile:

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I also agree with 4ranchgirl. She and I both have the AA+ freshwater strand from PP and it is very nice. I also purchased the GEM grade pinked strand from The Pearl Outlet. Which is very nice. Now after having one myself, I am not a fan of Pinked freshwaters. They don't look like Rose` cast akoyas.
Please rethink the length like 4RG suggests. Even buying a few more inches and having them make a extender that clasps on your necklace will really add to the neckline flexablility. PS. Some buy the matching bracelet and use it for the extender to turn a 18 into a 24 inch strand.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
thanks so much!!! I knew I could count on PS to give me good advice:)

Hopefully by the end of next week I'll have the job stuff figured out.

I will wait for Valentines Day (great idea--I love the discount and it helps with cash flow so I can get the bigger size :Up_to_something: !) and then will go for 18 inch Freshadama or AAA. I'll be back with pics when I pull the trigger.

thank you again!!!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
So, I got another offer for a job that's an even better fit this week :appl:

We already bought a car (a new to us really cute red 2005 Prius with leather interior and super low miles) and I think I am going to be able to make my pearl purchase in the next few weeks:)

Are the Valentines Days specials that are up on the PP site all they usually do, or is there usually a percentage coupon code kind of thing?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, if you are on their email list you can get a code for 15% off for the Valentine day event.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I signed up for the email list, but didn't get a welcome email or anything. Hopefully I'm in the system and will get the code when it comes out!

Two more questions:

-is it difficult to have the clasp replaced down the road? I'd like to upgrade the clasp at some point.
-there is a pretty double strand necklace for sale on PP. Any opinions re single strand or double strand? My dream was to someday have a triple strand with a vintage diamond clasp and the double strand is really pretty...

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
4RanchGirl, you gave excellent advice. :appl:

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks MoZo I really love helping the ladies here buy pearls.

Bella the code was emailed on the 18th. I would call them and ask for it. The code is good until V-day. Congratulations on the second job offer. You diffidently have something going on because offers seem hard to get in this economy.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
thanks so much 4Ranch girl! i got the discount code and asked for some side by side pics, so hopefully I'll get those on Monday :appl: :appl: :appl:

and thanks for the job compliment! I wasn't sure what to expect from the job market since the economy is so :knockout: but I had an unexpectedly great response to my resume when I put myself on the market to make a vertical move. It seems the job market is slowly getting a little better...here's hoping that continues to be the case!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
they just got in a new shipment of Freshadamas last night so they pulled strands for me to consider and the photographer is taking pics tonight...I will post when I get them:)

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
BREAKING NEWS!!! Comparison photos, just in:) :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Thank you so much for all your feedback!!!! Keep it coming!!!!

I am 99.9% sure that I want the Freshadama :love: . I prefer them in every photo and think I'd rather pay the money and have a set of 7.5-8mm where I love every pearl. In 20-30 years if I really want bigger pearls then maybe I'll give these to a daughter or daughter in law (if I am blessed to have either of those :cheeky: ) and get a larger set for my "golden" years, but for now I think I'd rather be a little smaller and have pearls that I think are absolutely amazing.

I so did not think that I'd be saying that since I am an "eye clean not mind clean" diamond girl and I was making plans about how I could get the 7.5-8mm AAA set and donate the difference in price or invest it in some KIVA loans and/or some much needed Pilates sessions (a recent Ben & Jerrys habit + the holidays+job hunting stress=extra chubby Bella!) but with pearls, I love the round, smooth, glowy, perfection of the freshadama and I am going to go for it right now in celebration of this new job and the crazy transitions our family has been through over the past year (DH's unemployment, the adoption of our son, my leaving a very toxic work situation, DH finally starting school for his career change to medicine, this new job I am starting at the end of the week)....

I strongly prefer the ball clasps (especially the etched ball clasp) to the fishhook clasp, do you think it would look too big proportionally on the 7.5-8mm strand and bracelet? I think it's right on the edge of being too big but that it might work...just making my mind up on that and then I am going to pull the trigger :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: I'd welcome any thoughts!!!

The comparison photos are all silver-rose overtones. I asked for strands with the brightest luster and strongest orient. The photos are 7.5-8mm Freshadama vs. 8.5-9mm AAA.

As far as the metal discussion, I am going with yellow gold, it's my preference with silver-rose, ivory, and rose overtoned pearls. Silver overtoned pearls I narrowly prefer white gold.

P.S. If anyone has one of those Blue Nile $50 off of $100 coupon codes that they aren't using (I can only find expired/used ones online and BN says they don't know anything about it), please let me know:) There is a pair of yellow gold hoops that I really want ;))

tn-1.jpeg

tn-2.jpeg

tn.jpeg

Lovely! Thank you for sharing! I think they are gorgeous.

I prefer the etched clasp too, however, I have read about people that had the pearls get scratched from them. I can't remember if they were akoya (thinner) or what.. but that might be something to consider. The matte ball (from my experience shows dings really well too)

My vote is for the glossy one. Though, I wonder if it would show scratches more.. hmm....

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
they're all lovely......and i admit that despite your excellent reasoning why you're going for the smaller ones, i'm loving the larger pearl strand.

i love the etched clasp but think its going to rough up your pearls....perhaps the muted golden tone rather than the very shiny one?

you've really developed an eye for pearls in a very short time! :appl:

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Thank you again for all the wonderful advice on this thread. I know that the pearl thread isn't as active as some of the others on PS, but you all really pitched in fast to give me awesome and much needed advice!!!!

THANK YOU!!!

The 8.5-9mm look gorgeous as well (and the size is lovely!!!) but I just placed my order for the 7.5-8mm Freshadama set (18 inch necklace) with the yellow gold etched ball clasps. If they had matched 8.5-9mm AAA sets in stock I would have seriously considered extending my budget (which would probably not have been a great financial decision for us at this point :rolleyes: ) and getting the larger AAAs instead...but...my eye was drawn to the Freshadamas in all the photos, I definitely wanted a necklace and earrings, and I have realized the versatility of being able to use the bracelet as an extender to wear the pearls with turtlenecks as well (since it's winter I wear A LOT of turtlenecks:)

I don't care for the P charms and wanted to upgrade the clasps, so PP gave me credit for the P charms and the filigree clasps :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: With the Valentine's Day discount code and the credits I still came in a little under budget AND got a gorgeous set with the clasps I like (thanks for the FYI on the scratching potential, I will be very careful how I store these so that they don't get scratched!!!!

I am using the slight remaining funds for a fun colored stone purchase :Up_to_something: :love: :appl:

Thank you again, and I will be back with photos when the pearls arrive!!!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I"ll post pics tomorrow, but tonight I am surrounded in kleenexes and chinese take-out (all three of us have yucky colds) but I am doing it all in some gorgeous pearls :appl: :love: :appl: :love: :appl: Yep, I am wearing pearls

4ranch and others were so wise when they steered me toward the 8.5-9mm strand, I love mine (7.5-8mm) but they are definitely the smallest I would consider going...and in 10 or so years I think I will be just fine with jumping up a size ;))

I LOVE them!!!! They are exactly the size I was looking for and the overtones and orient are AWESOME! The etched gold clasps are :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: in all, this is one very satisfied customer.

Tomorrow I will take photos and examine them with the kind of anal, obsessive attention found only in PSers :cheeky:

Thank you again for all your help!!!!!

Bertha

Rough_Rock
Bella,

Just a newby in love with pearls, thanks for the great information

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results