shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearl shopping in Shanghai-help.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few years back I was at the Shanghai pearl market. I bought a long strand of fireballs that I had re-strung into two smaller ropes, a couple pairs of earrings and a pendant. Love, love the fireballs however they are not of the high quality I have seen posted on this forum (and the other forum) and by the top vendors. But I am happy with them and the price was right. I also bought a strand of white fwp with matching bracelet which do not have the high luster but are ok when I do not want to wear my akoyas. I bought two ropes of dyed peacocks fwp-one larger-about 9-10mm but less quality and the other more round with better luster about 8-9mm. Again I did not pay much for any of these. I gave my sister the better strand. Now I am going back as a stop over have only three hours to shop for more pearls. I love Edisons and metallics but such high quality pearls may not be available or will be sold at or near retail price. I will try my best. I bargain hard but time is against me. Nothing I buy will be set in 14KT gold-only silver as gold is just too pricey for me and frankly, at my age (mid 50's) I really don't care as long as the pearls are nice. Plus I really do not trust if I will actually get real gold. SO my question to you all is, if you were in my place and you had to make a mad dash to shop, what would you buy? Edisons? Metallics? Or go for the the more exotic? I know you all love the multicolor metallic ripples but I have never seen them in real life and I am a bit prejudiced toward the high luster whites. I am not looking for a ring as my arthritis tends to flare. If I were to buy a triple strand would you do it all the same size or graduated? Is graduated more difficult to make right with matching (luster and quality)and size? Any input or pictures is most appreciated.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The question is, are you looking to broaden your pearl horizons (maybe with ripples) or would you be happier sticking to something you already know you admire (like the high luster/metallic white fwp?)

Metallic multicolor ripples do not appeal to me personally, but I seem to be in the minority. Why not have a look and see if they grab your eye?

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I'm kind of ambivalent about the ripples, as well. I like them, but they're expensive.

If I had three hours to shop ... I'd just wander around and see if anything made my heart go pitter-patter. I'd take the pressure off. Maybe you won't find anything. Maybe you'll find something you love. Don't go with the idea of needing to find something.

And then I'd keep my eye out for baroque Akoyas. They aren't that common.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results