shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearl in e-ring?

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Hi pearl lovers... I don't have a lot of experience with pearl jewelry, but my niece may be getting engaged soon and really likes a very, very dainty pearl ring. The pearl is set in a bezel 14kt gold setting that she saw on Etsy. Her fiancee has a very tight budget (still in college and just started a new job) and she is trying to be budget conscious...but is a pearl a safe choice for an e-ring? This particular setting is very petite and for the price, I think she can do better (I have suggested going the vintage route, waiting to hear back from her if this is something she will consider). But would also like to offer her some real advice, from experts, about having a pearl for an e-ring.

Thanks in advance! :wavey:

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
E-ring = engagement ring, correct?
I wouldn't. An engagement ring is usually worn all the time, and pearls can be sensitive to soaps and lotions and household chemicals. Pearl rings are usually better as right-hand rings.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, e-ring = engagement ring. :)) That's what I thought too, that pearls are kind of fragile? But I am seeing many antique and vintage rings with pearls...lots of Victorian rings use seed pearls for accents too. I would assume these would have only been worn occasionally? I know she would want to wear her rings though...and with taking them off for showering and such, there is a risk of losing them. Those are my concerns...has anyone worn a pearl ring on a daily basis for an extended period of time?

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Ara Ann|1415205982|3778015 said:
Yes, e-ring = engagement ring. :)) That's what I thought too, that pearls are kind of fragile? But I am seeing many antique and vintage rings with pearls...lots of Victorian rings use seed pearls for accents too. I would assume these would have only been worn occasionally?

Speaking of Victorians, did you know: "In the Anne of Green Gables series, Anne has a pearl bead engagement ring. At the time, people found it odd because pearls stood for sadness. Many engagement rings were chosen based on what the stone meant, for example rubies meant affection."

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
ennui|1415210744|3778070 said:
Ara Ann|1415205982|3778015 said:
Yes, e-ring = engagement ring. :)) That's what I thought too, that pearls are kind of fragile? But I am seeing many antique and vintage rings with pearls...lots of Victorian rings use seed pearls for accents too. I would assume these would have only been worn occasionally?

Speaking of Victorians, did you know: "In the Anne of Green Gables series, Anne has a pearl bead engagement ring. At the time, people found it odd because pearls stood for sadness. Many engagement rings were chosen based on what the stone meant, for example rubies meant affection."

In Spain there's an old superstition that says wearing pearls on your wedding day is a bad omen -- as pearls are (according to the old saying) a symbol for tears. In fact, for brides, diamonds are typically more traditional.

Going back to the topic, I have heard of pearl engagement rings, and my impression is that if you wear them all the time you may need to get the pearl replaced every once in a while.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
She can get a pearl engagement ring, but I would think of it as more of a temporary ring, especially if she wears it all the time. I had a friend who had a pearl engagement ring, and it lasted for the duration of the engagement, but not the marriage. She wears a simple wedding band with no e-ring now. Fortunately, their marriage has lasted for 39 years and is still going strong. :))

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the replies ladies and the feedback. This confirms what I had thought...I will share this with my niece too and hope she will make an informed decision. I just hate to think of them spending what cash they do have on a ring that probably won't hold up for very long....by the way, the set she is interested in is $650.00 - for a very tiny pearl and 3 teeny diamonds in a super thin petite setting. I think that is a lot of money for what she'd actually be getting too. :|

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd be worried about handwashing and lotions too. Not to mention doing the dishes, cleaning the house, and all those other chores that test the durability of whatever is on your hands.

I wonder if a nice coloured stone might be a better option. You can find a lot of beautiful blue topaz, aquamarine, amethyst, or other semi-precious stones in that price range that would make a beautiful e-ring without blowing the budget. I actually have an emerald cut aquamarine set in white gold that is so pale blue that it looks like an engagement ring, even though it is not. I think DH bought it for me for around $300 when I finished grad school.

Edit: This one is a smidge overbudget, but really pretty:

http://www.bluenile.com/blue-topaz-diamond-halo-ring-14k-white-gold_44921?elem=title&track=product

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Oh that is a pretty ring! Thanks for sharing the link!

My sister said she is actually looking for something very 'demure' and not a lot of bling, I have found some really pretty rings too and have sent her some links, but haven't heard back to know what she likes from what I have found. I think she prefers yellow gold. The ring she chose is from an Etsy vendor and I think she appreciates the artisan aspect of it too...of course that can sometimes affect the price as well.

This is the set she likes: https://www.etsy.com/listing/184472407/wedding-set-pearl-ring-diamond-crown?ref=shop_home_feat_1

I will share any updates as I hear what she decides!

You pearl lovers ladies sure are a sweet bunch! Thanks again for your advice! :wacko:

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
Ara Ann - I would recommend investing the $650.00 in a "www.WhiteFlash.com" small loose Diamond, and use a vintage or simple mounting. If she would choose a diamond "A Cut Above" and I believe the "Expert Selection" which is highest quality cut proportions, she will not loose the value of the diamond ever. White Flash will traded-up the diamond to a larger diamond during her life time giving her back the purchase price of the current stone. Money well invested. I have view the picture, $650.00 is a lot of money not to invest smart. Maybe she doesn't care for diamonds or a harder gem stones.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Handwashing and hand creams won't do much harm but if a ring is worn all the time the chance of it being scratched or picking up discolouration from something are high
pearls are pretty tough but are vulnerable to sharps and are porous.
I made a two part engagement ring once - an everyday wear ring and then a second ring with a pearl which slotted in for low risk posh.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Ara Ann|1415217114|3778132 said:
Oh that is a pretty ring! Thanks for sharing the link!

My sister said she is actually looking for something very 'demure' and not a lot of bling, I have found some really pretty rings too and have sent her some links, but haven't heard back to know what she likes from what I have found. I think she prefers yellow gold. The ring she chose is from an Etsy vendor and I think she appreciates the artisan aspect of it too...of course that can sometimes affect the price as well.

This is the set she likes: https://www.etsy.com/listing/184472407/wedding-set-pearl-ring-diamond-crown?ref=shop_home_feat_1

I will share any updates as I hear what she decides!

You pearl lovers ladies sure are a sweet bunch! Thanks again for your advice! :wacko:

Wow -- $650 seems like a lot for that. And it's only a 2mm freshwater pearl. I wonder why it's so expensive.

If she wants demure, there are plenty of small vintage diamond rings. My great-grandmother's first ring was petite. An e-ring doesn't need to compete with the celebs.

michellechan2211

Shiny_Rock
If your niece wants something vintage inspired/demure, I would recommend Yvone Raley's shop on Etsy. She's good to work with and has lots of vintage inspired designs.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If she really wants a pearl ring for her e-ring, I would suggest looking at PP or AP. They both have designs that would look bridal.

For example:

http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-1528-bonnie-collection-freshadama-pearl-and-diamond-ring.aspx

or

http://www.americanpearl.com/freshwater-pearl-ring-sterling-silver-white-sapphire-princess-ring.html

Edit: both can be customized in WG, YG, or rose gold.

I would probably suggest a freshwater pearl for durability (and price, too), but these are much nicer than the set linked. The PP ring might be eligible for the pearl point discount ($70 for items over $500), so both would end up being in the same price range once you add a plain gold band for the wedding band (which tend to be fairly inexpensive).

I still think a semi-precious coloured stone might be beautiful, inexpensive, and the most durable, but OTOH, replacing a freshwater pearl every once in a while would not be $$$ if hers got scratched or dinged from daily use.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for these links ladies! Those are really pretty settings too!

I agree, I hope she will at least consider either a small diamond or a gemstone, but I think she really likes the idea of the Etsy artisan set too. I also agree, that ring set she chose is too much money for what she'd be getting! I still haven't heard back from her about any of the listings I had sent, so I still don't know any thing more about what she wants to do. If it were me, I'd also go for a vintage setting with either a diamond or gemstone. There are so many unique rings out there in that price range I think she could find something very beautiful and unique. :))

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
On the listing for the ring she likes it says the pearl is "natural". I'm not an expert so I can't tell but if it is that could be the reason for the price. I know she'll pick the perfect ring!

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
WOW, the links posted by cmd2014, and ennui are gorgeous, I'm impressed! I have never looked in this area at PP.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
pkinnew|1415365747|3779077 said:
On the listing for the ring she likes it says the pearl is "natural". I'm not an expert so I can't tell but if it is that could be the reason for the price.

I think the price for the Etsy set is for shipping. They don't just stick it in a box, they buy it a seat on the airplane.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
ennui - lol! Hmmmm... A free one-way ticket when something is sold! Just think of the destinations and stories if someone accompanied these treasures!?!?

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
ennui|1415384032|3779297 said:
pkinnew|1415365747|3779077 said:
On the listing for the ring she likes it says the pearl is "natural". I'm not an expert so I can't tell but if it is that could be the reason for the price.

I think the price for the Etsy set is for shipping. They don't just stick it in a box, they buy it a seat on the airplane.

LOL, no kidding!!! :bigsmile:

I think we are making headway with the vintage ring idea. At the very least, if we can find a nice older diamond to reset, it is a better option than buying a new very inexpensive ring with yucky cloudy diamonds! My sister sent the future groom some links to rings I found on e-bay and he was pleased with a few of them! At least he knows he has some reasonably priced alternatives now!

Thanks again for your help ladies! :))

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I think it's a unique and adorable ring. It says it's a freshwater pearl, so (whether natural or cultured) that means it's pure nacre all the way through rather than a thin layer of nacre around a bead nucleus. (that makes it much more durable than akoya pearls, where the nacre layer eventually wears off). Also, it's well protected by the setting and it's low-set too. I think it would hold up pretty well and could always be repaired in years to come, if needed (and if she doesn't upgrade anyway as so many of us do!)

I'd wouldn't call it a screaming bargain but ah, not so terrible, either. The thing is, sometimes we just want the one we want, you know? Even if it's not the best deal out there or the hardest stone. Especially true when it's something as personal as a wedding set. $650 is certainly not much for a wedding set and it's not like they hold their value anyway, so what's a couple hundred bucks more or less in the overall picture.

So, honestly, if it were me, within the allowed budget, I'd much prefer to just have the ring I liked the best. She sounds much nicer than some of these lil bridezillas who demand zillion dollar rings on starting-out salaries. I'd probably just tell her it's amazing, lol. Let us know how it turns out!

P.S. Perhaps they could offer the Etsy seller a lower price on it. Ya never know!

Kay

Ideal_Rock
If she likes artisan rings, check out HeartofWaterJewels on Etsy. I have seen several gorgeous rings from Sally posted on Pricescope. She has beautiful pearl and gemstone rings set in 18K rose, yellow or white gold that range in price from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars, depending on the type and size of gemstones used. She will customize her settings with type of stone and color of gold the buyer prefers.

Here are a few pretty E-ring options for under $500:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/123305...otus-ring-in-18k-rose?ref=shop_home_active_18

https://www.etsy.com/listing/81899398/natural-ceylon-sapphire-in-solid-white?ref=shop_home_active_15

https://www.etsy.com/listing/116694878/raspberry-tourmaline-lotus-ring-in-18k?ref=related-4

https://www.etsy.com/listing/77513074/pearl-lotus-18k-rose-gold-and-top?ref=shop_home_active_22

A simple hand forged wedding band can be added for $235.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/23608162/handforged-18k-yellow-or-rose-gold?ref=shop_home_active_1

Band with metal wraps for $350.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/169975...band-in-14k-white-gold?ref=shop_home_active_4

Band with scattered diamonds for $350.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/194589079/scattered-diamond-wedding-band-in18k?ref=shop_home_active_3

aubergine_pearl_7mm__435.jpg

ceylon_sapphire__395.jpg

raspberry_tourmaline__485.jpg

white_pearl_8.jpg

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
As to the price of the ring..don't forget there are two 14kt gold bands, one with tiny diamonds. But I agree..seems like there must be something where theres a bit more bang for the buck. The pearl would not be my first choice for a ring to be worn everyday, as Wendy and others have pointed out..they are a bit susceptible to damage.

Kay made a great suggestion..check the SC part of the Forums...they get good reviews.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the additional etsy links Kay! I will send them along to my niece.

Haven't heard back with a definitive answer yet, but from the sounds of what I heard last, the future groom may just get her the original pearl setting she really likes. He wants to get her what she wants...sounds like a great future husband in the making, LOL, even if her choice may not be all that practical. ;))

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Ara Ann|1415820869|3782136 said:
Haven't heard back with a definitive answer yet, but from the sounds of what I heard last, the future groom may just get her the original pearl setting she really likes. He wants to get her what she wants...sounds like a great future husband in the making, LOL, even if her choice may not be all that practical. ;))

Sounds like he may be setting a dangerous precedent. :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results