shape
carat
color
clarity

Options for selling a 6mm akoya pearl strand

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
New to this part of the PS and sorry if this has been asked before (my computer is on its last legs and hard to search on a phone).

A friend of mine sent some of his mom's jewelry he is looking to liquidate at fair secondary market prices. In the box, was a long (about 34") strand of pearls with a nice 14k gold clasp. I took the strand to two pearl vendors and my jeweler. All immediately said they were very nice 6mm Japanese cultured saltwater akoyas. They are white..not the pink overtone...one vendor called it "champagne" (is that the same as ivory?). I was told that the wholesale price with the clasp factored in was about $400 and that if I priced a bit lower someone would grab them. So I was thinking $300 if I could sell in person, $350 if I had to cover paypal/US postage.

But my jeweler who buys used jewelry said he doesn't buy pearls this size because they don't sell. Folks want larger pearls and those going for the classic strands usually want them back off when they see how inexpensive they can get man-made or close to round freshwater. Likewise, one of my pearl vendors (who is a friend of my neighbor's) said she would buy them but she already has too many. I thought about breaking it up into two more classic length strands to sell as they would make a perfect first set of real pearls for someone starting. But the cost of another 14kt clasp and a couple of more pearls to match probably doesn't make sense.

Likewise, most I know already have these from back in the day as do I...and most of us admit we seldom wear ours.

What is the best way to sell these at a fair secondary market price? I thought of posting on LT/DB or ebay but given I am not a usual seller and have no papers, I figure people would be wary. I had been hoping to sell to someone who can see but that hasn't worked - they all agree on the value, just that they don't need.

I've already told him that this is something better worth keeping and passing on, but there is no sentimental value and my friend doesn't have anyone to pass them on to. Suggestions?

chanpearls.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
They look so pretty! Such a classic necklace that can be doubled.

DB is allowing 6 weeks of free listings. Why not try that? I have a few pearl pieces for sale there.

Good luck!

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
What is DB?

My laptop is fussy and unreliable, too.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
DB = Diamond Bistro:

http://diamondbistro.com/

They have a pearl section for selling pearls.

Pricescope has a forum under Pricescope Cafe for "Preloved PS Jewels" where people post their listing of things they're selling with a link to the listing on DB.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, bsomlo!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks bsomlo!

Yes - nice classic strand...and I would buy them myself if I didn't already have 4 strands myself in various lengths.

I thought about LT/DB but also thinking I might get more selling to someone who could see them IRL since I don't have any paperwork on them. Also thinking about having them restrung before I sell since I can get it done fairly inexpensively at one of my Asian jewelers.

Mentioned the situation to my friend who owns a higher-end bead store (sells a lot of semi-precious stones and fresh water pearls). She is going to take a look at them to see if she thinks they might sell there. She sells handmade jewelry out of there as well and while her customers might not go there looking for cultured pearls, perhaps they might be interested given the much lower than retail price.

renwea

Shiny_Rock
Hi Lilmosun, I would like to send you an email to discuss these, I am interested in buying them. I don't know what the correct protocol there is for this.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
renwea|1415743598|3781561 said:
Hi Lilmosun, I would like to send you an email to discuss these, I am interested in buying them. I don't know what the correct protocol there is for this.

Yay! I hope it works out. If it does, please post neck shots. The clasp looks lovely and solid. Can we get a closer look? Good luck, ladies!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
renwea|1415743598|3781561 said:

Hi renwea,

I will try to take better pictures and post on DB for you in the next day or two. Give me your screen name when responding for first dibs

renwea

Shiny_Rock
Hi Lilmosun, my screen name on DB is renwea. I'm looking forward for some pictures. Let me know when you post them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results