shape
carat
color
clarity

Negative pearl reaction....has it ever happened to you?

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I can't honestly say that I wore any jewelry to speak of in any of those activities. Too much risk of damaging/losing my pretties! ;-)

DH says to forget them too. He thinks it's hillarious that people seem to think that I'm so prim and conservative. Plus, he's a massive enabler of all of my hobbies.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I think of the classic white strand and matching studs as traditional, formal, classy, and yes, a bit conservative or old school. There are times when that's a very appropriate and becoming look. It's also just one part of the whole outfit, classic white pearls worn with jeans is a different look.

To me, other types of pearls make another statement, depending on how much they vary from the standard white rounds. For example, I don't consider a lavender rope, fireballs, or even black round pearls conventional.

Many people don't have enough personality or confidence to go with their own expressions and envy those who do, in my opinion, and that's where weird little "jokes" come in. Those who have personal style think that way naturally so don't realize some people feel their own dullness in comparison and are trying to bring them down for leverage. That's what I tell myself anyway, ha ha!

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
seaurchin|1421589074|3818390 said:
I think of the classic white strand and matching studs as traditional, formal, classy, and yes, a bit conservative or old school. There are times when that's a very appropriate and becoming look. It's also just one part of the whole outfit, classic white pearls worn with jeans is a different look.

To me, other types of pearls make another statement, depending on how much they vary from the standard white rounds. For example, I don't consider a lavender rope, fireballs, or even black round pearls conventional.

Many people don't have enough personality or confidence to go with their own expressions and envy those who do, in my opinion, and that's where weird little "jokes" come in. Those who have personal style think that way naturally so don't realize some people feel their own dullness in comparison and are trying to bring them down for leverage. That's what I tell myself anyway, ha ha!

Very well said Ms. Urchin.

Pearls sing a song...whether or not we choose to listen is a matter of style!

Lisa C

Rough_Rock
Well, I'm just horrified! Do you mean we can't wear classic pearls because someone else has to look at them?!?!?
I'm sorry (very firmly), they'll just have to suffer. :hand: I can't go out without pearls. That's like being undressed in public. :o

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ack...clearly where I live, white pearls = conservative, prim, Right wing in political views, and 1950's housewife-ish.

I don't care. Me and my white pearls and red lipstick will carry on.

Edit: stupid spell check

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad you're persevering, cmd. I wouldn't be surprised if there were the odd comment about my pearls; I live in a small community and I always wear pearls. They're special gems and it would be a shame to let people's negativity dampen your enjoyment.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
ok, so two weeks ago i'm wearing a long strand doubled of freshwater pearls along with my usual rings and some earrings......and I stop at the garden center. staff working there that I interact with a lot and one asks where i'm going 'cause i'm all jeweled up........I state I've just come from bowling and she was over the top incredulous......... the other gal was way ok with it saying she liked to see women with necklaces.

my point is that I like what I like and even though I don't go to an office any more and we're not the opera going types, I wear what I want when I want.

I figure the problem is not mine but that of the beholder......and says more about that person than it does me.

but then i'm older than the rest here and as I tell people when I show up in tie-dye "if I can't wear what I want when I want when can I?"...... and, yes, sometimes I wear tie-dye AND pearls!

age does has its merits........

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
Indeed it does Movie Zombie! As a "mature" woman (in my mid-50s), I have learned never to "save" the good stuff for a special occasion...I wear it whenever I feel the urge...that goes for jewelry, clothing, shoes, bags, etc!! I can't tell you how many times I've saved pieces right out of style! No more...wear it and love it!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yep! so, no tie-dye today but i'm going bowling and i'm rocking that same pearl strand! with pearl earrings....and all the attendant rings, too. oh, and just to be bitchy i'm going to the garden center again as well.....actually, I need another owl decoy to keep the pigeons at bay. sigh.

freshwaters all the way:

wp_20150202_0.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pirard|1422904446|3826121 said:
Indeed it does Movie Zombie! As a "mature" woman (in my mid-50s), I have learned never to "save" the good stuff for a special occasion...I wear it whenever I feel the urge...that goes for jewelry, clothing, shoes, bags, etc!! I can't tell you how many times I've saved pieces right out of style! No more...wear it and love it!

Totally agree with both you and movie zombie on this issue. Wear what makes you happy and no saving of special pieces. Wear and enjoy now. There is a lot to be said for living in the moment. :appl:

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You go girl ! I agree with wear what you want whenever you want.. I think a problem that we all suffer from at some point is that something is "special" and only to wear on 'special occasions" . What a waste. 95% of the people out there wouldn't know a great 60000 strand of SS from round plastic beads. Most don't know what Tahitians are... I know... hard to believe. So we do this for ourselves... wear anything and everything!

A friend of mine was chatting a few years ago about her husband and how he's always buying her things that she never wears. "It's too dressy" . So I asked what he'd bought her lately.... Bulgari - 1/2 inch wide huggies with 5 rows of diamonds and a matching 1" long pendant. Now this woman has great style, very eclectic, chiffon & leather etc etc Always looks interesting and quite remarkable. But her jewelry is always just a little gold chain and a 6mm strand of pearls - ultra conservative.. I told her not to be embarrassed by the diamonds .. no one was going to think they were real anyways lol So the next time I saw her..she was wearing the earrings and had added in her pendant with the other two necklaces. Very self conscious... but she persevered and now doesn't even think about it .. they are her every day earrings . I'm sure most people think it's costume jewellery. Who cares... they look fabulous. And her husband is thrilled since she is finally wearing some of the jewellery.

So good on you Movie Zombie ... !!! You have the right attitude ! If you've got it ... wear it... enjoy it .. life is short.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
movie zombie - Your rock in your ensemble! I agree - wear them proudly whenever you want!

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I have a pair of wSS drop earrings from PP -- I think they were a special in 2012 or thereabouts. They are around 15mm. I wore them on Good Friday, and a woman did a double take, and then stared at them for a while. I know most women don't own pearls of that size, maybe never even see pearls of that size, but it was a little weird, nonetheless. I felt like saying, "Yes, they're real, stop staring!"

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
ennui|1428388182|3857803 said:
I have a pair of wSS drop earrings from PP -- I think they were a special in 2012 or thereabouts. They are around 15mm. I wore them on Good Friday, and a woman did a double take, and then stared at them for a while. I know most women don't own pearls of that size, maybe never even see pearls of that size, but it was a little weird, nonetheless. I felt like saying, "Yes, they're real, stop staring!"
I saw a pair of WSSP studs on a woman waiting for breakfast at a pancake restaurant. I kept staring because they were GORGEOUS!!! and HUGE!! (at least 16mm).

I say wear em and enjoy them! Bring some extra beauty into the world!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I don't ever really get asked about my pearls (except that one infamous friend who made the comment about wearing pearls and prints :rolleyes: ). My friends are generally jeans and tees people, with an occasional skirt, we are all lower key in terms of apparel and dressing up. They don't really care, which makes me sad because I LOVE to talk jewelry and pearls with people!

I am tattooed, wear jeans and a lot of button down shirts, and rarely wear make up. I have VERY nice handbags and shoes, and my pearls.
I love the way pearls can play off of outfits when I dress up, or throw on a scoop neck tee and jeans. They are so versatile! Aside from my friends, I live in an affluent area where women walk around with 3+ rocks and bling out the bling, so people don't look at me funny when I wear ropes and ropes of pearls or tahitians, it's the norm.

No matter who or what I ultimately wear them for me!

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
No matter who or what I ultimately wear them for me!

Well said!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results