shape
carat
color
clarity

need help with deciding strand length, size and color

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
Hi PSers

I have made some mistakes in past purchases so I thought i should do more research this time :razz:. So please get ready for my long list of questions:

I am looking for a strand to go with suits that i'd wear to client meetings. I want something that says sophistication, professionalism. I don't want the strand to make a statement though so nothing too big too fancy.

South Sea pearls are beautiful but they are definitely too eye catching. I love pearls with high luster so I am thinking perhaps Akoya salt water pearls might just be right for me. (please feel free to throw in your ideas).

I am considering 14 and 16 inch but don't know how they look on the neck - any comments?

For pearl size, I want something that gives a delicate look yet not too small. Does anyone have photos of stands on neck to share?

Color - would be wearing dark outfits most of the time. Would white with silver tone be a safe choice? I also like the golden ones but not sure how gold look on dark outfits - any comments?

finally, where to buy? i am in HK so i need a vendor that ships internationally - can you recommend?

THANK YOU!

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
There will be others in this forum who have MUCH more experience than I will so I hope they chime in.

As far as length, I think that is very individual and depends on your neck circumference and overall build. This is especially important when looking at 16 inch strands--on some people that would work as almost a choker, on others it would hang down a bit lower.

I have an 18 inch 6.5-7 mm white akoya strand and it is quite nice, not flashy, works with a lot of outfits. But length, color, and size is very individual, and I have found my tastes change as I wear this strand and see others on this forum.

You may want to try some costume strands or a strand of freshwaters before making a larger financial commitment.....

eloisegirl

Shiny_Rock
Depending on your frame,you may want a larger or smaller mm pearl. I am 5'8" and look better with a 9mm - petite women seem to be able to get away with smaller pearls. Just like in decorating, it's all about scale.

There are blue akoyas on Pearl Paradise - they would look great with business attire but they are out of the ordinary.

You can experiment with different lengths at a place like Macy's or The Bay, and see which you like best. The best part? You'll find you will need all different pearls for different occasions. It's a good thing!

PearlsOfJoy

Rough_Rock
Trade
I have an 18 inch 6.5-7 mm white akoya strand and it is quite nice, not flashy, works with a lot of outfits.

No need to reinvent the wheel, Erin said it well above. I wouldn't suggest south seas as they are quite large on average and probably not something you would want to wear daily or even weekly. A simple classic Akoya pearl strand goes with everything and its one of those accessories that can be worn nearly every day. I might suggest a slightly larger Akoya 6.5-7.0mm is still a bit small IMO.

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
thanks for the input. I have SS for ring and earring but the more I wear them, the more i feel they are too big for me. I think something between 6.5 and 7.5 should work for me. I will try on a few at Mikimoto first (but they are too pricey for me so i might buy online). Any opinions on Pearl Paradise? Are their AAA that much different from AA?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
It may be worth your while trying on necklaces with different lenghs and MM pearls until you get the perfect look. A 16inch 7mm strand will fit differently on the neckline than a 16inch 10mm strand. The larger the pearls the highter on the neckline it sits.

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
Tried on a few diff sizes pearls at mikimoto. Think i'll go with 7.5 - 8mm.

Adamo_Pearl

Rough_Rock
I don't know about the exact length of the necklace that would best fit you, but I find that pearls look classier and more sophisticated when they are worn close to the neck. I'm not a big fan of long pearl necklaces (they remind me of my grandma's necklaces I used play with as a kid). I'm not saying you should year it as a choker either, but just a little close yet lose around the neck, that would look lovely.

http://www.buypearljewellery.com/

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
Adamo_Pearl|1321046018|3059815 said:
I don't know about the exact length of the necklace that would best fit you, but I find that pearls look classier and more sophisticated when they are worn close to the neck. I'm not a big fan of long pearl necklaces (they remind me of my grandma's necklaces I used play with as a kid). I'm not saying you should year it as a choker either, but just a little close yet lose around the neck, that would look lovely.

http://www.buypearljewellery.com/

I have a 16' FW think around 8.5mm... They seem to be too big and long so I am thinking of getting a 15' - something close yet lose around the neck like you said ;-)

I like long ones too but have to be careful with the color and how its worn to look chic not older.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results