shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with a scattered pearl long necklace (anniversary)

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I am currently considering 2 different pearl necklaces to commemorate 2 events: the birth of our second daughter, who was born in June 2011 (yeah, kind of a delay on that one), and the 20th anniversary of my first date with DH (our 9th wedding anniversary is also this year). I received a 3-color Cartier Trinity ring with scattered diamonds for the birth of our 1st daughter (3 interlocking rings to celebrate us becoming a family of 3), and I will be able to tell her the story and eventually leave that ring to her. I want a special piece for our second daughter, whose birthstone is pearl. I am considering a strand of baroque WSS and silver and dark Tahitians for that event – I’ll make a second post for that one. I really don’t want to go over $2500 for both projects – if it turns out that is unrealistic, then I’ll just get one great necklace for DD’s birth.

For our anniversary, I’ve really been wanting a long necklace (40” or longer) with scattered pearls. I love the look of the Chanel sautoir type necklaces that can be worn long or doubled. I have saved several inspiration pictures, which I will post below.
I am torn between several styles. One option is using a single color of pearls (white SS, akoya or FW, or silver or dark Tahitians) in mixed sizes combined with bezeled diamonds (or white sapphires or zircons) and/or aquamarines (or blue zircon for my husband’s December birthstone). The Tiffany DBTY shown below has 5 WSS, 4 diamonds and 4 aquas. I love that color combo, but think 13 elements on a 36” chain is too sparse.

Another option is to use pearls in multiple colors, probably w/o gemstones in that case, to prevent it being too busy. I could also mix one or more colors of pearls with large gold (maybe silver) links for extra interest.

Because we have been together 20 years, I like the idea of using 20 pearls or 11 pearls and 9 gems. I don’t want to sacrifice a great design for the numbers, though. The Tiffany DBTY has 13 elements, so 20 seems like it would be plenty, but most of my other inspiration necklaces have more than 20 (some more than 30) elements.

I need some opinions, please, since I am all over the place on this design.

This Cartier Himalia is my dream strand, but way, way out of budget. I wonder whether it can be re-created with baroque or FW pearls, and using textured gold or silver rings in place of the little diamond circles, without losing too much of the effect.

The Tiffany DBTY (5 WSS Keshi pearls, 4 diamonds and 4 aquas) – I like the general style and color combo, but would want more pearls, either round Akoyas or FW or baroque WSS.

I like the look of these baroque Tahitians on a 43" silver chain with big links from Winterson’s for $700. It is within budget, but I’m not sure if I want silver – big gold links (white or yellow) might be too expensive. I think it would look good with either suits or casual clothes.

I like the mix of multiple colors of pearls with a few larger gold links. (I would want all cool colors, though.)

cartier_himalia_1.png

wss_keshi_and_aqua_and_diamond_from_tiff.png

tahitians_on_silver_chain_8-10mm_baroque_winterson_700.jpg

mixed_tahitian_ss__amp__fw_9-10mm_yellow_gold.jpg

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Re: Need help with a scattered pearl long necklace (annivers

This Akoya tin cup necklace from American Pearl has 4 pearls and five 15pt bezeled gems and is $925 with diamonds, $350 with white sapphires or $550 with aquamarines. I expect they could probably make a long necklace with 11 pearls, 5 aquas and 4 white sapphires for around $1000. I would have them scattered more like the Tiff DBTY.

Baroque Tahitians and diamonds would look great too!

I love the look of this Ippolita necklace in shades of silvery gray and blue, but $700 for what looks like dyed gray FW pearls, blue topaz and silver seems a bit high.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360943084477?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Blue zircon is DH’s birthstone. Due to its high refractive index and strong dispersion, zircon has great brilliance and fire. Although relatively hard (6.5-7.5 on the Mohs scale), zircon is brittle and should be used in protective settings (bezels should work). I think it would look pretty mixed with white and/or silver pearls, and would cost less than aquamarines.

I am really torn about using blue stones (aquamarines, zircons or topaz) in this project. It adds a pretty punch of color, but also limits the number of outfits with which I can wear the necklace. It should look good with black, grey, white, ivory and probably navy tops and dresses. When I wear colored tops with my dark suits, they are usually in shades of blue, green-blues, purples and lavender, and whatever shade of blue stone I chose, it will probably clash with most of those tops. Of course, I can just stick with a diamond pendant or a strand of Akoyas on those days. :lol: :confused:

akoya_and_aqua_from_ap.png

tahitian_keshi_and_diamond_from_tiff.png

ippolita_grey_pearl__amp__blue_topaz.jpg

blue_zircons_in_bezels.png

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'm no help re recreating a look but I do have to say I love Love LOVE the cartier himalia! :love:

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Kailis do two 90cm long chain and pearl necklaces for under 2000AUD with South Sea Pearls and little diamond accents. Look at their web site.

I too love the Himalia necklace...well actually I love the Tiffany one too :love: ...I have no doubt that the Himalia concept can be reworked in such a way to lower the cost and still produce a beautiful necklace. It's coming up with a good replacement for the diamond donuts that is the trick. I like the idea of the textured gold rings... worth costing it out.

Kay

Ideal_Rock

movie zombie|1401550402|3683791 said:
I'm no help re recreating a look but I do have to say I love Love LOVE the cartier himalia! :love:

It's fabulous, isn't it? I couldn't find the price, but the Himalia pendant with 1 pearl is over $6,000, so I can just imagine what that one would cost. :-o ;(

Kay

Ideal_Rock

katbran|1401598368|3684207 said:
Kailis do two 90cm long chain and pearl necklaces for under 2000AUD with South Sea Pearls and little diamond accents. Look at their web site.

I too love the Himalia necklace...well actually I love the Tiffany one too :love: ...I have no doubt that the Himalia concept can be reworked in such a way to lower the cost and still produce a beautiful necklace. It's coming up with a good replacement for the diamond donuts that is the trick. I like the idea of the textured gold rings... worth costing it out.

I did find one I liked on the Kailis website that had Tahitian pearls with little diamonds, but it was 11,900AUD.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

I know the Kailis pearls are soooo expensive. Someone told me they are owned by Paspaley so that would explain the prices ...not to mention the use of diamonds and gold chain ! lol

However, you can take the idea and have something made up from less expensive materials...use sterling chain...soufflé pearls or AAA freshwaters and replace the diamonds with something less pricey. It's possible to get the look in general without the high end materials.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results