shape
carat
color
clarity

MYSTERY Pearls

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Okay, ladies, it's time to get our thinking caps on.

I have a question, maybe you can help. I have a pair of pearls, small about 6mm, that my great aunt bought sometime in the 1930's, probably in Japan. They have a rainbow orient, excellent luster, and a definitely medium gold body color. They are not at all white, as compared to my modern Akoyas and are close in color to my deep golden south seas.

They have never been worn, and have spent their life enclosed in a box with white batting. They are extremely smooth and round. My grandmother told me they were natural pearls, but she didn't speak English very well, so not sure if she meant natural color or natural as in not cultured. Did they culture pearls in the 1930's?

What the heck are they? Are they unbleached and undyed Akoyas? Do Akoyas lean toward golden when they are not bleached? Would the lack of light exposure for 80 years effect their color?

The rainbow orient is quite beautiful, the color is lovely, so I am wondering what they are. Here's another clue; in the box is a third pearl, a small silvery-grey baroque pearl. It is obviously bead nucleated, since I can see white in the area where the nacre is thin. Do they have grey baroque akoyas?

I don't know a thing about Akoyas, beyond the regular white ones, so let me know what you think.

MYSTERY4.jpg

MYSTERY3.jpg

MYSTERY2.jpg

MYSTERY1.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Some pics with goldens from Jose, and my giant white SS from Sarah, for color comparison.

So, what are they?

And what should I do with these tiny little things? :confused:

MYSTERY6.jpg

MYSTERY5.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
No idea, BUT, I love the little box

iLander

Ideal_Rock
LOL, Vapid! :lol:

I know, it's cute, isn't it? My great aunt went on all kinds of trips just before WWII, and she brought back the coolest stuff. My grandmother didn't believe in throwing away ANYTHING (we had towels that were literally 40 years old and I slept on a horsehair mattress :shock: ), so when she passed away I inherited most of my great aunt's stuff. Weird things, like little troll dolls made of pinecones, seashells, and moss, and normal stuff like fabulous mid-century modern vases. Nothing of great value, but interesting nonetheless.

A big pile of stuff, plus these weird pearls, which I totally ignored until I started getting into pearls.

I can't believe nobody has any idea what the heck they are :confused:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
So I emailed Sarah at Kojima Pearls, and she came up with the answer! :appl:

"They are most surely golden Japan Akoya pearls... and they are GORGEOUS! and also the little blue one is a sweetener to the parcel. How wonderful to see these and their original box. They look by the photos to be in fantastic condition.

Yes akoya pearls come naturally in cream, golden, soft white and silver blue tones. You just have to study the naturally occuring colors on the inside of a Japan Akoya pearl shell.. to see that it is extremely common to have natural yellow or golden akoya pearls... the white ones are all bleached to be white."

I would love to have a whole strand of this color! I can't imagine bleaching these lovely little guys to make them white. ::)

Anybody have any ideas what I should do with these? They are teeny for my taste. . .

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
I love treasure! iLander that is awesome to have a little hidden treasure from your families past. Your Aunt must have been a trail blazer going overseas and traveling like that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results