shape
carat
color
clarity

My visit to Pearl Paradise

Kay

Ideal_Rock
My visit to Pearl Paradise yesterday was amazing. Everyone I worked with was so nice and so passionate about pearls. I got there at 11 am and figured I would be there for 2-3 hours, but I didn’t leave until almost 4:30! I can’t believe they were willing to spend so much time with 1 client.

My appointment was with Chenai, and she greeted me with a warm smile and a table full of baroque Tahitian strands, since I had expressed an interest in baroque Tahitians when I made the appointment.

The variety of colors and shapes was mind-boggling. I started going through strands of Tahitians and WSS pearls since I had a mixed strand in mind. She also brought out some blue baroque akoya strands when I said I was looking for those too. There were just too many beautiful things to choose from!

Jeremy came out to meet me and find out what I was looking for. When he saw I was interested in blue baroque akoyas, he had Hisano bring out 2 very special Vietnamese strands they just bought in Hong Kong. They were a silvery light blue with beautiful luster and very smooth skins for baroques. Fortunately for my wallet, I actually preferred the darker blue color of 2 Japanese strands they had left from older stock. They were the last 2 strands of 5 they had acquired with a darker blue color. I snagged both and they are being strung into a 36” strand that I can wear long or doubled. Hisano is choosing 2 of the pearls from the strands to reserve for earrings – I still need to choose a design.

Jeremy brought out some other fun things from the Hong Kong trip to show me. There were 2 large, round glowing metallic Edison pearls that I think Jeremy said are 16-17mm. There were also some lovely free-form Edisons for pendants. One of them kept saying “take me home with you,” but alas, it had been purchased for another client. There was a card with pairs of white metallic pearls ready to make some great earrings. There were several new fireballs, and also metallic FW strands. I’m sure there will be a blog post soon, but you can see some of these lovelies displayed with my poor photography skills now. (I almost feel bad posting my photos because the pearls looked so much better IRL.)

I’ll post more later about the special custom WSS & Tahitian strand we created.

Large Edisons:

White metallic pairs (8-9mm, IIRC):

img_9104.jpg

img_4944.jpg

img_4945.jpg

img_4946.jpg

Kay

Ideal_Rock
These are the 2 blue Akoya strands I selected:

My strands are on top, the 2 new Vietnamese strands are on the bottom:

They look so much prettier IRL -- the lighing wasn't good for photos.

img_9093.jpg

img_4947.jpg

img_4948.jpg

img_9106.jpg

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Fireballs:

With flash:

Without flash:

Free form Edisons:

img_9107.jpg

img_4949.jpg

img_4950.jpg

img_4951.jpg

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Wow!!! Thanks for the post! I cannot help but drool over the Edisons. I hope there are still some left that will go on the PP site!

Can't wait to see pictures of your blue Akoya necklace! Did you also purchase a mixed strand or a strand of baroque Tahitians?

Elysian

Brilliant_Rock
WOW! I could really get into pearls.... Your visit sounded fantastic!!! I love the double strand you chose. I look forward to seeing them on you! (Now I know what I want for xmas, a visit to PP) Thanks for sharing, Kay.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
SMC|1403907829|3702389 said:
Wow!!! Thanks for the post! I cannot help but drool over the Edisons. I hope there are still some left that will go on the PP site!

Can't wait to see pictures of your blue Akoya necklace! Did you also purchase a mixed strand or a strand of baroque Tahitians?

I purchased a 36" strand of blue baroque Akoyas, an 18" strand of mixed WSS and Tahitian baroques, and a pair of WSS drop earrings.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Elysian|1403909433|3702411 said:
WOW! I could really get into pearls.... Your visit sounded fantastic!!! I love the double strand you chose. I look forward to seeing them on you! (Now I know what I want for xmas, a visit to PP) Thanks for sharing, Kay.

If you are anywhere near LA, you should go! I spent 5.5 hours driving (2 up and 3.5 back because I stayed too long and hit LA rush hour), but it was still worth it.

Elysian

Brilliant_Rock
Kay|1403909738|3702418 said:

If you are anywhere near LA, you should go! I spent 5.5 hours driving (2 up and 3.5 back because I stayed too long and hit LA rush hour), but it was still worth it.

That's dedication! I thought DC and NYC had traffic, nothing like LA. I'll have to hit them up next time I'm visiting my parents. Please tell me you have more pictures!

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful, Just Beautiful. Congrats on your purchase & what a heirloom for your second daughter.
I do live close enough to drive to LA and will have to make a visit one day.
Looking forward to seeing the pearls -on- you as well.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock

Kay are you above LA or below? I am 2.5 hours below-south? We could do a pearl show and tell :naughty:

Kay

Ideal_Rock
16ocean|1403910798|3702430 said:
Beautiful, Just Beautiful. Congrats on your purchase & what a heirloom for your second daughter.
I do live close enough to drive to LA and will have to make a visit one day.
Looking forward to seeing the pearls -on- you as well.

Yes, you must go. I can't wait to get the pearls on me!

Kay

Ideal_Rock
4Ranch Girl|1403914809|3702469 said:

Kay are you above LA or below? I am 2.5 hours below-south? We could do a pearl show and tell :naughty:

I am in San Diego, and I would love to get together to play with our pearls (although your collection far exceeds mine).

Kay

Ideal_Rock
My mixed strand of WSS and Tahitians drop baroques was the major project of the day – we spent a couple of hours going through bags and cards and strands of pearls to find the right mix. Jeremy and Chenai brought out pearls and Chenai and I started building the necklace from the center 14mm WSS pearl out. When Chenai had to take a lunch break to feed her new baby, Jeremy jumped in to help me finish, with Hisano helping us make some of the final selections. This is the strand DD2 will someday inherit, and it was truly a labor of love. I can tell her every pearl was hand selected for color, luster, shape and size gradation. The WSS and grey Tahitians are very well matched for color and size across the strand, so that the left and right sides of the necklace almost mirror each other. It was a little bit tougher finding the really dark Tahitians that I wanted to contrast with the silver/steel ones in the right sizes, but I think the total effect is great. I cannot wait to wear this baby!

This strand is my mini version of the famous Keira strand:

img_9114.jpg

img_9116.jpg

img_9119.jpg

_19601.jpg

Kay

Ideal_Rock
The earrings are 11-12mm WSS drop pearls in the WG blossom setting:

It is scary to see ear selfies! :-o

img_9120.jpg

img_4952.jpg

img_4955.jpg

img_4954.jpg

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Kay|1403915519|3702474 said:
4Ranch Girl|1403914809|3702469 said:

I am in San Diego, and I would love to get together to play with our pearls (although your collection far exceeds mine).
Me too :mrgreen: I work on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday so any other time would be fun! We could meet for lunch. If you are a member of the other forum you can pm me there. I am sure you already know my irl name :wavey:

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Kay, what an absolutely beautiful necklace you all created! I can hardly wait to see it finished and on your neck!

Elysian

Brilliant_Rock
So gorgeous, Kay!! I am looking forward to your modeling pics!

leyhuong

Shiny_Rock
This is just great. Beautiful pearls, joyful story. I love the choices you pick out for your mixed WSS and Tahitians. Congrats! :appl:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for your report and the photos. Absolutely spectacular pearls, the best of the best, and what a perfect necklace you have there! It is gorgeous!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all. It is so nice to be able to share my excitement. DH just doesn't get my fascination with pearls and gemstones.

Elia just blogged about the Hong Kong show. Her picture of the Vietnamese blue akoya strands is so much better than mine.

http://blog.pearlparadise.com/

blue-baroque-vietnamese-akoya-pearls-pp.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely pics, thanks for sharing!

DK :))

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Great post Kay.
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: Loved seeing your new pearls and the stock in The Vault. You made some beautiful purchases. I hope you and 4ranchgirl get together soon for lunch.

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
Kay, thanks for the lovely tour of stock at PP, and the beautiful pearls you've selected ... stunning! Love that earrring setting :)

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
That necklace is going to be gorgeous ! (it already is ) And I do love the earrings..that's such a cute design. Looking forward to more pics ! :appl:

mapo

Shiny_Rock
Kay, you have chosen some beautiful pieces! Thanks for sharing your experience at PP!

krissy7

Shiny_Rock
Hi Kay,

Thank you so much for sharing your trip. I so enjoyed seeing your pictures, and I hope you enjoy your beautiful purchases!

Kay

Ideal_Rock
4Ranch Girl|1403919237|3702497 said:

4Ranch Girl, I just joined the other forum and sent you a PM about lunch. :wavey:

ltlmsmfft

Shiny_Rock
I love your custom necklace! That is such a fantastic design. Thank you so much for sharing!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kay, thank you so much for your post! I have always wanted to see the blossom earrings, if there was any kind of connecting or clasp on the wires. I love them but don't do well with shepherd hook kind of earrings. I am definitely going to make a trip down there one of these days. I am in Southern CA too. I have my eye on a pair of 9.5 hanadama studs. I would love to see them in person as well as their other pearls. They are all so gorgeous. I love the strands you purchased. So beautiful. I am a casual person and probably wouldn't wear anything that fancy (although I dearly wish I could pull off that look!), but I love them just the same. I think that I would love to wear a tin cup style with multi colored pearls. I would like a metallic multicolor and a tahitian and south sea mix. Yours are just so gorgeous!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results