shape
carat
color
clarity

My pearl projects

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@jeweln & bsomlo: Actually I did consider CC's ripple strands too, but in the end I turned to Sarah/Kojima cos:
- Shape: Sarah's ones are rounder, and I just prefer rounder ones.
- Contrast: I like the contrast/variety of colours that I get in one strand (like the one that I got). And while I like the darker/stronger colours a lot more, I was worried that an entire strand might be overwhelming.
- Clasps: I prefer bean clasps over the handmade hooks (but Sarah can customise - I'll come to that later). Large part is due to the metal colour... I just don't like yellow gold so that's a pure personal pref. And that also pretty much ruled out any strands with gold round beads between each pearl.

bsomlo|1373818304|3482832 said:
icy jade -- thanks for the links. I am considering the metallic strand.

http://kojimapearl.myshopify.com/products/metallic-ranbow-ripple-pearls

I've emailed Sarah some questions. Can you share the process of choosing clasps and findings? Were there a lot of choices and price ranges? I'm going to want matching earrings, hopefully the loose strand is long enough to pull out a couple of pearls for earrings. Anyway, I'd love any information you'd like to share since I have no experience with this vendor. Catherine is superb at immediate responses via email and has the patience of a saint. Very unfortunate about my bizarre delivery fiasco. (No, no news at all...the package is in The Bermuda Triangle I didn't know existed 3 miles from my home...).

Oh yes, that strand caught my eye too. Think will look amazing in real life. :naughty:

For the clasps and findings, you can choose from Stuller [http://www.stuller.com], and depending on whether they are YG, WG or rhodium, the pricing will differ. LOADS of choices. Mind-boggling choices. Just give Sarah the shortlist and she'll advise the pricing. Other than Stuller, I guess also any clasps/findings that Sarah is already using on her current strands/pieces. Perhaps even from PP since they do sell clasps/findings. Sarah was also able to find extra pearls to add/lengthen the strand for me. I have no experience with Catherine so I really can't compare responsiveness/patience. But based the end results, I would say that Sarah really delivered! The pearls are gorgeous. Oh ya, and if you are in the USA I think you can call. Probably faster than email...

And I really hope that your missing pearls will turn up soon!

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my! That 14 - 17.8 mm strand is spectacular! Somebody on :naughty: here needs to own that necklace so we can see lots of photos of it

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
icy jade
that huge metallic necklace is to die for ! unfortunately it is over my budget .
funny thing is that I like CC 's handmade clasps so much . they are easy to put on/take off . you can ask her for a white clasp .

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
LitGeek|1373901703|3483267 said:
Oh my! That 14 - 17.8 mm strand is spectacular! Somebody on :naughty: here needs to own that necklace so we can see lots of photos of it

That will be ideal... any takers? :naughty:

jeweln|1374001656|3484149 said:
icy jade
that huge metallic necklace is to die for ! unfortunately it is over my budget .
funny thing is that I like CC 's handmade clasps so much . they are easy to put on/take off . you can ask her for a white clasp .

Hmm... maybe I need to try. Perhaps after she re-stocks. Most of the pearls that I'd shortlisted earlier are sold! :blackeye:

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
She's getting a new shipment in a week or so -- but will need to inventory and photograph. I think there is a line out her door at this point!

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Me three.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
bsomlo|1374633490|3488926 said:
Me three.

Sigh, no one here? I was hoping for neck shots. :cry:

Btw I am off to Hong Kong for some shopping (mostly non-pearl variety but we'll see) and much needed break from work. Should be checking the forum but not sure if I will be able to reply on dinky phone screen. But in case anyone has recommendation on where to shop, pls do post a reply! For now I'm planning on Rio Pearl. They have some lovely stuff on their website...

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
Let me know how you get on with pearl shopping icy_jade! I am going to Hong Kong in September for the Hong Kong Jewellery and Gem Fair but I am hoping to have a little bit of spare time to fit in some retail shopping. As well as a trip to Disneyland for the little one.

;-)

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
misskittycat|1374704418|3489484 said:
Let me know how you get on with pearl shopping icy_jade! I am going to Hong Kong in September for the Hong Kong Jewellery and Gem Fair but I am hoping to have a little bit of spare time to fit in some retail shopping. As well as a trip to Disneyland for the little one.

;-)

Ah if you are going to the jewellery show then you'll see plenty of pearls. I'll start a separate thread for my HK pearl shopping. :)

For clothes, sizes tend to run small so those that require larger sizes will have problems. Asian brand tend to cater to smaller frames. I like these (I'm 5'7" btw):
- COS (Queens Road Central -QRC)
- Giordano Ladies (QRC has one too, so I tend to hit COS n GL together)
- Zara
- Massimo Dutti
Umm... Mostly European brands.

For some nice higher end souvenirs, I like the K11 mall and the Gough Street/NOHO/POHO area shops. They have nice design wares and the Gough Street/NOHO/POHO area is great for exploring. Try MUJI if you don't have those where you are from, and Uniqlo for some nice affordable casuals.
Not sure what your interests are?

Of course the usual Causeway Bay Area will have loads of shops.

I tried the usual ladies market, etc before and didn't really enjoy myself. Too hot and just loads of cheap stuff that looked very touristy.

You can read these guides:
http://heykumo.org/blog/2012/10/a-guide-to-a-hong-kong-trip/
http://www.smarttravelasia.com/hkshop.htm

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results