shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW My new kasumi-like strands from POJ

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I caved.

Finally broke from my self-imposed cold turkey just a week away from the Singapore jewellery show. (hangs head in shame) :(sad

Blame on a moment of weakness or a d*** stressful week at work. But I actually shopped this evening in the office while my colleagues looked on bemusedly (like I said, d*** stressful week at work). :errrr:

Anyways, here they are!

Dark kasumi-like - opted for the toggle clasp

Plus 2 smaller kasumi strands that I've asked for to be combined into a rope (in love with rope lengths, so versatile).

Any suggestions for the clasps ladies? :naughty:
I do love the one on my Andy Muller strand cos it can be worn in front.
Must be in WG or rhodium tho (since I don't wear yellow gold).

Oh ya, and this is the one that got away. Was shown as avail when I clicked and then Kevin wrote back to say it wasn't available. So got the other one instead :((

big_kasumi_poj.jpg

kasumi_rope_2.jpg

kasumi_rope_1.jpg

big_kasumi_poj_got_awayjpg.jpg

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
I was just popping on the board to post about these ripples from PoJ :lol: You lucky gal! Those are some beauitful ripples and the prices are unbelievable!!! Talk to Kevin and I am sure he can find the perfect clasp for you.

Those large white ripples make my heart sing :love: :love: :love: but I still have my sights set on a wSS strand. There is a link to their special presale on the Pearls of Joy blog :naughty:

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
oh my God , these are so beautiful ! I just checked their inventory ,seems you snatched up the best !

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
LitGeek|1380898286|3532076 said:
I was just popping on the board to post about these ripples from PoJ :lol: You lucky gal! Those are some beauitful ripples and the prices are unbelievable!!! Talk to Kevin and I am sure he can find the perfect clasp for you.

Those large white ripples make my heart sing :love: :love: :love: but I still have my sights set on a wSS strand. There is a link to their special presale on the Pearls of Joy blog :naughty:

I know! Feel the same about the white ripples and I looked at every single one on offer (and they are going fast btw). But... still think I will go for white Edisons before going for wSSPs.

As for the clasp, Kevin has suggested either (i) mystery clasp, or (ii) matt or shiny WG 12 mm ball clasps.

Having gone thru the Stuller catalog twice, think my other options are a (iii) WG flower clasp (and hopefully Kevin can replace with a more matching pearl on the clasp), or a (iii) laser engraved ball clasp (similar to the one on my Andy Muller which I really quite like).

Did consider and then discard making up a bracelet/necklace combi like Flygirl's since I really don't wear bracelets much. Mmm... think I will give myself some time to mull over the clasp this weekend.

Of course I will love to hear what you ladies think!

Edit: Pics of the flower clasp that I am also considering. Still looking for laser ball clasp (sometimes called stardust):

jeweln said:
oh my God , these are so beautiful ! I just checked their inventory ,seems you snatched up the best !

Thanks Jeweln. Nope I didn't. One got away! :lol:

But yes agree they look lovely, esp one of the smaller ones. You know how I am such an impulse buyer right? That smaller strand really triggered my impulse buyer streak and broke my cold turkey treatment. And to think that I was sooooo good. Just one week away! :rolleyes:

stuller_126.jpg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Ok! Found the stardust clasps. 12 mms.

And I am guessing that Kevin's matt ball clasp will look something like this?

:confused:

Gonna sleep over this. Bedtime for me. Happy Friday to all who have the rest of the day!

35803-22985-large.jpg

35798-23146-large.jpg

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Love your idea about using the flower clasps on the rope like Fly girl's to have a bracelet option too :love: :love: I have the laser cut white gold ball clasps on both of my Tahitian strands and really like it...would be lovely on your larger strand.

Next on my wish list are some BIG wSS studs :naughty: I've been wearing my 8.6mm natural white Hanadama akoyas so much lately. They seem to be the perfect staple to wear with my fall wardrobe ~ sweaters, button downs, and riding boots. Funny that they seemed so big to me when I first got them.

Looking forward to photos of your upcoming pearl shopping trip!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
LitGeek|1380904850|3532132 said:
Love your idea about using the flower clasps on the rope like Fly girl's to have a bracelet option too :love: :love: I have the laser cut white gold ball clasps on both of my Tahitian strands and really like it...would be lovely on your larger strand.

Next on my wish list are some BIG wSS studs :naughty: I've been wearing my 8.6mm natural white Hanadama akoyas so much lately. They seem to be the perfect staple to wear with my fall wardrobe ~ sweaters, button downs, and riding boots. Funny that they seemed so big to me when I first got them.

I'm asked for the toggle clasp on the larger strand. But... 2nd thoughts now. Gah...

Ohhhh get them (BIG wSS studs)! And then we can all enjoy some pearl ****.
I don't think I'll ever go below 10mms now. Bigger pearls are addictive.

When do you think you'll go for wSS strand? ;)) ::)

LitGeek|1380904850|3532132 said:
Looking forward to photos of your upcoming pearl shopping trip!

Yes, quite exciting. And I may be able to get a Press pass. Like how great is that right? So I can legitimately take photos (tho still with my trusty iPhone 5) in the show if I get the Press pass. Get ready for lotsa pretties (pics) if I am registered as press... :bigsmile:

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
A press pass would be awesome!! Haha, I am picturing you walking around with your lightbox through the show to really get amazing photos :wink2:

I still have a few pearl projects still in the works, after I get these then I can start saving for my big wSS studs...they will definitely be larger than 10mm :twirl: Right now I am happy to be wearing my mixed wSS/silver T strand and I am sure it will look lovely with the large studs. I probably will not get the wSS strand until sometime after the new year.

So what is on your wish list for the upcoming shopping trip? Are you still thinking deep goldens?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
LitGeek|1380907758|3532172 said:
A press pass would be awesome!! Haha, I am picturing you walking around with your lightbox through the show to really get amazing photos :wink2:

I still have a few pearl projects still in the works, after I get these then I can start saving for my big wSS studs...they will definitely be larger than 10mm :twirl: Right now I am happy to be wearing my mixed wSS/silver T strand and I am sure it will look lovely with the large studs. I probably will not get the wSS strand until sometime after the new year.

So what is on your wish list for the upcoming shopping trip? Are you still thinking deep goldens?

Yes eagerly awaiting your cortez dangles. What else are you working on (with PP right?)?

Hmm lightbox. Haha good idea. But not sure what the vendors will make of it.

And I just got off another email exchange with Kevin on the clasps. He's a bit concerned that the flower clasp may not be strong enough.

Re: wish list - ok long list but realistically not possible to get all:
- Deep goldens but only if Jewelmer is there. Can no longer find their name so maybe not.
- Long akoya rope
- Tahitian rope (yeah, another one)
- Giant baroque tahitian pendant (like upwards of 17 mm)
- Faceted pearl pendant or earring
- Tahitian studs in a nice colour

Mmm... and anything else that looks interesting I guess. Mostly stuff that I am missing in my collection, but I am fairly obsessed with tahitians so will see how it goes.

And I'll stay far away from the diamond and gem booths... or at least not buy. Too dangerous.
Erm, unless I happen to fall in love... :oops:

Ok I really need to sleep soon (tho still feeling too excited to).

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Hey, I just realised that I am tagged as Trade.

Anyone knows why? I wish I am in the business too but I am really just an ordinary buyer (sigh).

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Great choices ~ I would be thrilled to get anything off of your wish list for your trip! I bet you are so excited with your new ripples ~ you really got a fantastic deal on those! The toggle clasps Kevin had made up are pretty fantastic ~ you definitely NEED one of those! You can get a stardust one any old time :mrgreen:

Fingers crossed, I think we may have finally found a setting that will be perfect with the SoC pearls. I should know something next week. I have a wSS pendant that will hopefully be shipping today from PP. Pattye will be making me a lovely white gold bracelet (like 4Ranch girl's bracelets) using some lovely silver Kamoka pearls :twirl: :twirl: :twirl: I have a few more small projects from PP too that I think I will bump to after I get my large wSS studs. Haha, told you I was a "planner" :loopy:

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LitGeek|1380898286|3532076 said:

ITA!. Love the white ripples but want big wSS :))

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'm quite a bracelet fan. I love the feel of a bracelet moving round and up and down on my wrist, plus if you use the same clasp you can use it to extend a necklace to give a different look - a win-win
(I got some amazing non-ripply big white bead nucleated pearls last year which looked almost exactly like white south sea but were obviously a fraction of the price - but they have all gone and even though I looked and looked in HK and waved around the couple I had hung on to as examples I couldn't find any more. They were a great alternative to expensive SS)

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I think you did really good, icy_jade. Those prices on PoJ are amazing, and worth the quick leap. I see that there are only three white strands left. I like the colored strands that you got the best.

That Stuller flower clasp is delicate, but oh so pretty. If you do go that route, I'd look for a tiny colored keshi to match the rest of the strand, instead of the white pearl that comes with the clasp.

You are developing a good pearl shopping sense. I'm looking forward to your next shopping trip. :bigsmile:

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
baby monster|1380915425|3532309 said:
ITA!. Love the white ripples but want big wSS :))

Yes, big would be lovely :naughty:

Pearlescence|1380916520|3532321 said:
(I got some amazing non-ripply big white bead nucleated pearls last year which looked almost exactly like white south sea but were obviously a fraction of the price - but they have all gone and even though I looked and looked in HK and waved around the couple I had hung on to as examples I couldn't find any more. They were a great alternative to expensive SS)

I hope you are hanging onto those amazing white pearls for yourself :wavey:

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Icy Jade very, very nice I bet you will just love these new beauties once they arrive. Love those dark strands. Glad you got one. I was so tempted but I have a trip planned to PP on the 17th of October so I need to be good until then.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for your kind comments! Kevin has combined the 2 smaller strands while he waits for my decision on the clasp. What do you think?

Edit: Looks a bit peachy? Oh dear, I look like crap in peach. Hope the colours will be ok in person/on me. :confused:

I so curious to see them in real life and to compare against pics!
Also wonder how the colours are vs my Kojima ripples.

As for clasps, swaying more towards stardust ones now. Kevin thinks they will look great too, and the flower one is too delicate since the rope will be heavy.

Kevin doesn't have extra pearls, so no earrings unless I take two off the strand, which I am not too bummed about I think... (Was hoping for matching studs). But that also means the finished rope is shorter than wanted. May go for bracelet option now to lengthen the rope length with another clasp. Plus Pearlescence has highlighted some good points. And I don't have a pearl bracelet (yet).

4Ranch Girl|1380933823|3532473 said:
Icy Jade very, very nice I bet you will just love these new beauties once they arrive. Love those dark strands. Glad you got one. I was so tempted but I have a trip planned to PP on the 17th of October so I need to be good until then.

Ok, show time! You need to start a new thread so that we can put in our wish list!
Luckily your visit is AFTER my SG show. If I have any remaining war chest... :naughty:

_10588.jpg

_10590.jpg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
LitGeek|1380910905|3532228 said:
Fingers crossed, I think we may have finally found a setting that will be perfect with the SoC pearls. I should know something next week. I have a wSS pendant that will hopefully be shipping today from PP. Pattye will be making me a lovely white gold bracelet (like 4Ranch girl's bracelets) using some lovely silver Kamoka pearls :twirl: :twirl: :twirl: I have a few more small projects from PP too that I think I will bump to after I get my large wSS studs. Haha, told you I was a "planner" :loopy:

Yes and a great planner too. Love how your projects are turning out.
I can't plan pearls for my life. Pieces have to magically ignite my impulse lusts and make me feel :love:

Pearlescence said:

Yes I want the non-ripple ones. Saw some whites on a mixed strand in Hong Kong and I like them.
On my wish list. :loopy:

Fly Girl said:
I think you did really good, icy_jade. Those prices on PoJ are amazing, and worth the quick leap. I see that there are only three white strands left. I like the colored strands that you got the best.

You are developing a good pearl shopping sense. I'm looking forward to your next shopping trip. :bigsmile:

Thanks! I have to admit that I didn't have much hope that the strands will be mine (and indeed one got away) after the last PP sale. But 2 out of 3 is not too bad. :mrgreen:

I really need a stronger wallet to match whatever increase in pearl sense I have! Ah, first world problems. :rolleyes:

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
LOL I saw this post after I'd posted on the beautiful white ripple strand. I think I posted a photo of one of your strands cause I loved the colours ! So you are responsible for decimating the supply on the site Ha! Well done! You picked up some wonderful strands at great prices ! Can't wait to see the finished photos.

As for the clasps, I use a lot of the matt finish silver ones and they always look very smart. Understated and elegant. And I think the toggle is a good choice for the long strand, it's going to be heavy and that's the way I go with anything heavy..they are quite attractive imho.

Looking forward to your photos ! Lucky you !!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
katbran|1380952766|3532595 said:
LOL I saw this post after I'd posted on the beautiful white ripple strand. I think I posted a photo of one of your strands cause I loved the colours ! So you are responsible for decimating the supply on the site Ha! Well done! You picked up some wonderful strands at great prices ! Can't wait to see the finished photos.

As for the clasps, I use a lot of the matt finish silver ones and they always look very smart. Understated and elegant. And I think the toggle is a good choice for the long strand, it's going to be heavy and that's the way I go with anything heavy..they are quite attractive imho.

Looking forward to your photos ! Lucky you !!

Nope! The one you posted was my original pick but I was too late! So I got another one. But all good, still happy cos it looks like a dark strand and I've been craving for a dark ripple strand for a while.

Decimate? Erm... I wouldn't go so far as to say that, I mean I only got 3 out of the 19 strands on offer right? Was almost four but figured the rope will be unbearably heavy. :cheeky:

Thanks and appreciate your support for the clasps! Can't wait to see the finished products too. Been on a bit of a drought so this is terribly exciting for me. :tongue:

Been going back to see if I can identify my strands from Kevin's pics during the HK show!
http://www.pearlsofjoy.com/Hong-Kong-Jewellery-and-Gem-Show-2013--Day-4_b_30.html

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Icy -- very exciting!!! Keep us posted, as I know you will. (Now you got me going back to the HK show pictures to try to identify my gargantuan beauties -- but it's impossible.)

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
icy I think you have enough contrast and color in your rope to make it look lovely on anyone...it does not read overly peach to me at all. I bet Kevin could find you some lovely large fw studs that would look fantastic with both of your strands and then you wouldn't have to give up the pearls from the necklace. I do like the idea of the starburst clasps and the bracelet...so excited to see what you end up going with!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
bsomlo|1380981766|3532659 said:
Icy -- very exciting!!! Keep us posted, as I know you will. (Now you got me going back to the HK show pictures to try to identify my gargantuan beauties -- but it's impossible.)

Ok, but you know how my projects take some time since I am on the other end of the world ya?

I think I spotted mine in some of the photos (since there were fewer coloured ones).

LitGeek said:
icy I think you have enough contrast and color in your rope to make it look lovely on anyone...it does not read overly peach to me at all. I bet Kevin could find you some lovely large fw studs that would look fantastic with both of your strands and then you wouldn't have to give up the pearls from the necklace. I do like the idea of the starburst clasps and the bracelet...so excited to see what you end up going with!

Probably stardust clasps x 2 with a detachable bracelet configuration (8 inches? is that a good length?).

Btw you asking about my wish list got me thinking and some alterations...
- Deep goldens studs
- Tahitian rope #1 - something like Fly Girl's / Misskittycat's harvest rope type
- Tahitian rope #2 - heavily circled but with character
- Giant baroque tahitian pendant (like upwards of 17 mm)
- Faceted pearl pendant AND earring
- Tahitian studs in a nice colours
- white baroque edisons
- unusually coloured baroque akoyas
- Detachable earrings (various colours and pearl type)

Extreme wish list:
- wSSP necklace + earrings... + ring
- SoC earrings and pendant (realistically a strand is hard)

KIV:
- Long akoya rope - or maybe a long fwp rope instead. Fully nacre sounds good but lustre... hmm...
- Triple strand (will I really wear them or is it just a "complete the collection" piece??)

No more:
- Ripples or pastel-coloured strands - a bit of a glut with ripples right now (not complaining about my recent buys, just that it's not very well balanced based on pearl type and I prefer a more versatile collection)

More:
- Tahitians... maybe more single coloured strands.

Wonder how much I will get thru and how many will actually stay on my regular list of pieces to wear?

K, off to look at some more pearls and then off to bed.

jenncent

Shiny_Rock
Trade
omgosh they are magnificent!!!

I like the flower clasp. :) I just used it on my new rope and it is so pretty.

jenncent

Shiny_Rock
Trade
And if you don't like those peachies on you, let me know!!! I am a sucker for all things rippled. :roll:

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
I personally think the toggle clasp can handle the weight of the strand better than the laser ball ones. I use these with my Tahitian rope because they are heavy duty as well. Picture comes from bellafindings.com

heavy_duty_spring_ring_clasps.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
I think this is what PP used on my double souffle strand (though that necklace is very light). I like the clasp a lot -- but they used sterling silver which I do not like. Polishing near the pearls makes me nervous. Polishing at all makes me grumpy.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Ok, after re-looking at my draft email to Kevin for the nth time, I finally sent it out.
For the 11-12 mm rope, two stardust clasps for a detachable bracelet.

Will keep you ladies posted on their progress! So excited all weekend. :loopy:

Also asked for possible earrings that can match, and enquired about a possible new project that I shall justify as a Christmas present for myself if it goes thru.

Jenncent: Kevin thinks the flower clasp is too delicate, so I'll save the flower clasp for another pretty strand. I was actually inspired by yours! So pretty. :bigsmile:

HHPmom: Thanks but I really like stardust clasps (I think, cos the one I found isnt as nice as the one on my Andy Muller strand). But will definitely KIV the clasp that you suggested for giant baroques that I may finally get someday.

Bsomlo: Haaaaa I went with silver toggle clasp for my bigger strand. Didn't want to deplete my war chest too much. :mrgreen:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Posting two photos from Hong Kong with your larger dark pearl strand showing.

The strand that got away is on the left in both photos. Compare this strand to the glamour shot posted by PoJ. The end facing the camera in the HK photos is on the inside of the coil (pointing to the left) in the glamour shot. Notice that the 6th pearl from the end is lighter than the rest, and the 12th pearl from the end is very dark in both pictures.

So that makes the strand on the right in the HK photos your strand. My best guess is that the end facing the camera in HK is on the outside (facing right) in the glamour photo on the PoJ sale page. Compare the strands pearl by pearl as the colors vary and see if you don't agree. :))

img_2210.jpg

img_2644.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results