shape
carat
color
clarity

My First Pearl Necklace, Circa 1972

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I received these pearls when I was 18 from my late aunt as a graduation present in 1972. It is a 16" strand of about 7mm roundish whiteish cultured pearls. I have almost never worn them. I'm not sure if it was because pearls just weren't my personal style for many, many years (I prefer something with color), or if it is because I simply don't like the shortness of the strand. I just know that I would put them on, look at myself in the mirror, then promptly take them off. I'm thinking of having the strand lengthened, then maybe I will like them more. Right now they seem to ride up on my neck and just underline my face with a straight white line. Just doesn't work for me.

Anyhow, here are some pictures for you. My Aunty worked at Halle Brothers, a major department store in Cleveland, Ohio for many, many years. She had excellent taste, and I know she was giving me a classic for my wardrobe. I still have the original box the pearls were wrapped in.

Halles1162.jpg

Halles1160.jpg

Halles1157.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Here are the pearls.

HallesPearls1165.jpg

Halles1163.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
A neck shot. I don't wear pendants on 16" necklaces, either. I like slightly longer necklaces on myself.

PearlNeckshot1175.jpg

Those still look really good! They look like akoya to me, but I can't quite tell.
If you want to lengthen it you could always put in a bigger clasp, or add gold beads every other pearl, or... keep it as it is!

Thank you for sharing :wacko:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Close up shot of the pearls showing the surface. I don't know if they were like this originally, or if there have been changes during the nearly 40 years while in my care. Most of the time the pearls have been in a box on a shelf in my closet. I think I can count on one hand the number of times they have been worn. And, I knew to be careful and not put them on until after I had sprayed my hair.

PearlsClose1168.jpg

Yeah those look like akoya to me! I actually really love the "wrinkly skin" that some get.

If you want to try to get an accurate colored picture, it always helps to put them on a plain white paper towel and then take pictures near a window.. but not in direct sun. They look very nice!! How would you describe the color?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Here you go, bean. I think the pearls look a bit on the yellow side using the paper towel test. I have wondered if perhaps the color is just not flattering to my eye.

HallePearls1182.jpg

:love: I wouldn't call them yellow.. Maybe creamy.. Nicer term? Lol

Have they always been this exact shade? I know that over years pearls can discolor but if you hardly wore them they might not have changed as much.

I really really like them thank you for sharing!!

whitehotblank

Shiny_Rock
Ah, I love these. And I love the story behind them, too. My mother, unfortunately for me, is the biggest non-materialist in the world. I think perhaps I have hope to inherit some welly boots or paint stained jeans. Ha.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I've dropped the pearls off at the jewelers. They think matching will be difficult, because the pearls have probably darkened a bit with age due to contact with my skin oils the very few times that I did wear them. They suggested making a 2" extender to wear at the back of my neck using very similar pearls. They will order some in and we will take it from there.

Thanks, WHB. I know what you mean. I don't expect to inherit much from my mom. Jewelry isn't her thing, either.

Glad you are enjoying them, bean. :appl:

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
I think creamy is a good word for these Flygirl, they are so pretty and nice to have something from family for a significant event in your life. I would think if they make the extender with smaller pearls in the traditional manner matching would not be so hard? It will be nice when you can wear it and be comfortable with the length..

iLander

Ideal_Rock
whitehotblank|1289510836|2762362 said:
Ah, I love these. And I love the story behind them, too. My mother, unfortunately for me, is the biggest non-materialist in the world. I think perhaps I have hope to inherit some welly boots or paint stained jeans. Ha.

Then you must make up for it WHB, it's your duty! :naughty:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I think these are awesome, FG!

I actually like these natural looking pearls a little more than the whites that are so popular. The remind me of victorian lace and elegant women in big picture hats. Very pretty. :love:

But you know what I like best about this thread, FG? The fact that you and I are of similar age!

We're both 38, right? :naughty:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1289534685|2763039 said:

I actually like these natural looking pearls a little more than the whites that are so popular. The remind me of victorian lace and elegant women in big picture hats. Very pretty. :love:

But you know what I like best about this thread, FG? The fact that you and I are of similar age!

Right. Ummm, I actually got those pearls at birth in 1972! :bigsmile:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl|1289534914|2763043 said:
iLander|1289534685|2763039 said:

Right. Ummm, I actually got those pearls at birth in 1972! :bigsmile:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey, what a co-inky-dink, that's when I was born, too! :bigsmile:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I picked up my restrung pearls today, and what an improvement!! The jeweler added 8 pearls from their stock to the back and had it restrung by their local pearl stringer. The strand is now 18 inches long, instead of 16 inches, and I can finally wear it. I just wish I hadn't waited so long, but better late then never! ;))

CompareHallePearls.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Close up showing the new pearls added to the back of the strand. Not an exact match, but no one is going to notice when I am wearing the strand.

Restrung_1362.jpg

Restrung_1341.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I thought the pearl stringer did a nice job of locating pearls and in putting them in pleasing directions. The jeweler said that you don't really notice when the job is done right, but that the pearls will seem a bit off if it is done incorrectly. I sent along my compliments to the stringer to say that I was pleased with the job. :tongue:

Restrung Pearl Necklace_1340.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
i'm so glad that you did this FG! It proves my point that pearls are classic, and will always be in style, it's just the style and length that changes with fashion (like hemlines).

I think this project will encourage others to look at restyling their heirloom/memory pearls.

Very sweet, FG, restringing your birth gift :D pearls!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
a much more attractive length for you! i'm so glad you restrung them and will now be wearing them. lovely!

MoZo

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
The longer length definitely looks much better I think, it looks lovely on you. :halo:

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
They are beautiful. I have akoyas, and I agree, they do look like the imperfections I see in mine. You will love having them. I reach for mine at least once a week. In fact, I keep them out, hanging over a lampshade on my dresser, because I love seeing them. They are a work of art. Here is a close up of mine so that you can see the shape for comparison with yours. I bought 2 16" strands and used the best ones to make one 19" strand. Mine are silver.

59.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thank you iLander, MoZo, LG and Pink Tower.

I have worn this longer necklace to two family gatherings this week, and I can confidently say that this project has been a resounding success.

Pink, thank you for posting a picture of your silver akoyas. You have a stunning strand. That is a good idea to purchase two strands. I have been thinking of getting two 16" strands for my next (yet to be determined!) project, and making a longer necklace and using the remainder for a bracelet.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl|1290997553|2781387 said:

I have worn this longer necklace to two family gatherings this week, and I can confidently say that this project has been a resounding success. .

YEEEEAAAAHHHH! :appl: :appl:

Did you tell everyone the story about them? That just cheers me up tremendously that you made your family happy! :D

(I am getting too emotional about PS, I think . . . )

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1291000426|2781434 said:
Fly Girl|1290997553|2781387 said:

I have worn this longer necklace to two family gatherings this week, and I can confidently say that this project has been a resounding success. .

YEEEEAAAAHHHH! :appl: :appl:

Did you tell everyone the story about them? That just cheers me up tremendously that you made your family happy! :D

(I am getting too emotional about PS, I think . . . )
Yes, of course. No one remembered I had gotten them. My sister, who is ten years younger than me, did not get graduation pearls from our aunt. By the time she graduated the store had been sold and closed. The worst part was the buyers liquidated and kept the pension fund for employees. :nono: Laws have changed now to prevent this, but those were sad times back then, too. :(( My sister did, however, inherit my aunt's china and silver, so we don't need to feel too sorry for her not getting the bling. :devil:

It was fun sharing family stories. :))

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful Akoyas Fly Girl :appl: Love the longer look on you.

I wish I would have remembered reading this thread when there were all those questions on what length of necklace to get. Your pictures are a perfect example and way to explain necklace length. Would you mind starting a thread with the pictures of your great neck :bigsmile: and the two different length necklaces. It would help answer all those questions.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
These pearls are just beautiful. I love the fact that they are not perfect. They remind me of a very imperfect set I bought myself for my 30th birthday. I wandered into an antique store to find a lady at the counter spraying Windex on an old, wretched strand of pearls she'd just gotten in. They were in terrrible condition, and I didn't know much about pearls, but I knew enough to know that she was murdering that poor strand by spraying them with Windex. I rescued (bought) them on the spot, took them home, carefully washed them to get the Windex off, had them restrung, and wore them all the time.

The women in my office loved my pearls so much they asked their husbands to buy them pearl necklaces for their birthdays/anniversaries, so eventually several of us were wearing pearl strands, all started by my homely little strand of ruined pearls. The other women's pearl necklaces were so much nicer than mine - someday I'll take a pic and post my homely strand - but I loved them anyway. I still have them, as I've gotten older the strand has become too short. Maybe I need to take mine to be restrung and have some pearls added too, so I can wear them again.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
4Ranch Girl|1334554966|3172156 said:
Beautiful Akoyas Fly Girl :appl: Love the longer look on you.

I wish I would have remembered reading this thread when there were all those questions on what length of necklace to get. Your pictures are a perfect example and way to explain necklace length. Would you mind starting a thread with the pictures of your great neck :bigsmile: and the two different length necklaces. It would help answer all those questions.
Ah, 4Ranch Girl. Yes, the longer length was an absolute must for me with this strand of pearls.

As for another thread, please, be my guest and start a thread starring your own great neck. :razz: :wavey:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for your comments, and your wonderful story, portoar.

Please, let's have some pictures of your pearls, and do have them restrung so they can continue to be enjoyed. :wavey:

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
:tongue: Fly girl like that would ever happen :naughty: My older than dirt neck will never be shown on here :mrgreen: But you have the neck at least in your pics of a very spring chicken. :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results