shape
carat
color
clarity

Metallic white pearl necklace

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
pearlsngems|1427775145|3854918 said:
A non-bead nucleated pearl has to stay longer in the water to reach the same size as the bead-nucleated pearl, yet comes out less round.

So, I would think that as the Chinese continue to improve their techniques, non-bead nucleated metallic pearls will become less available, not more available. But the bead-nucleated round metallics will be more available. Still, remember that a lot more of these are colored than white.

If you really want to see orient, get some good baroque pearls! Orient is much more subtle in round pearls, if seen at all.

I don't know if this is will be true. Only one pearl at a time can be grown in the gonad with a nucleated freshwater pearl where many can be tissue nucleated per mullusk, so they are cheaper. Look at the prices of Edison's per pearl compared to round tn freshwaters.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
NacreLover|1428530490|3858883 said:
pearlsngems|1427775145|3854918 said:
A non-bead nucleated pearl has to stay longer in the water to reach the same size as the bead-nucleated pearl, yet comes out less round.

So, I would think that as the Chinese continue to improve their techniques, non-bead nucleated metallic pearls will become less available, not more available. But the bead-nucleated round metallics will be more available. Still, remember that a lot more of these are colored than white.

If you really want to see orient, get some good baroque pearls! Orient is much more subtle in round pearls, if seen at all.

I don't know if this is will be true. Only one pearl at a time can be grown in the gonad with a nucleated freshwater pearl where many can be tissue nucleated per mullusk, so they are cheaper. Look at the prices of Edison's per pearl compared to round freshwaters.

I seem to recall reading that putting fewer mantle tissue implants per FW mussel was found to result in rounder pearls. I don't know how many implants they can do and still get the roundest ones, but probably more than one. So, I take your point.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Battle of the pearls
In the first photo we have:
1.Caitlin's Persian Gulf Bahrain wild natural pearls
2.Next are rare Gem Grade South Sea Pearls hand selected by Jeremy
3.Metallic freshwater pearls
4.Natural color Hanadama grade akoya
5.Pinked Hanadama grade akoya.

In the second photo the Persian Gulf pearls were removed but the others are in that order.

battle1.jpg

battle2.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Hanadama natural strand with clasp
Metallic white freshwaters unstrung

_28762.jpg

_28763.jpg

328.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
The metallics came in more than one color and the first ones we bought were the 11mm 8 way rollers. No green undertone, but orient and soap bubble effect.

There were only enough matching pairs to make one necklace.

ann_exotic_0.jpg

ann_strand_0.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
The strand.

_28764.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like everyone here, I love these strands. But I think we need to be careful to point out that these rare and exemplary examples of what top quality can look like. These are very special (i.e rare) strands that were hand selected by Jeremy, which from my understanding were custom ordered either through making a complete strand out of earring quality pearls, or in the case of the cream triple strand, by putting in a special request and having to wait for Jeremy to go to a number of Hong Kong trips with this special request in mind to find something of this quality. They are probably beyond Freshadama quality. Freshadama +++ (to the nth degree) would probably be the most accurate description.

I think it is important to acknowledge this, otherwise many people might be mislead about what to expect when they buy AAA metallics like mine or other stock items. Don't get me wrong, these are gorgeous, lust worthy strands. I just don't think it's fair to suggest that they represent the stock items sold as AAA strands, nor do I think that they were likely priced as such.

I have to admit that based on some of these posts, for a while I started to think that I was being shafted by PP. This was so not fair to PP, as they bear the brunt of the disappointment based on inaccurate comparisons of these rare, unique, custom, and much more expensive strands to more value priced stock items. It's a sentiment I have seen reflected elsewhere, so I know it's not just me. From what I have been led to believe through conversations with the very kind people at PP, mine are representative of the AAA metallics, not these special pieces. These require a commitment to patience and price.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
cmd2014|1428548231|3859042 said:
From what I have been led to believe through conversations with the very kind people at PP, mine are representative of the AAA metallics, not these special pieces. These require a commitment to patience and price.
Thanks, cmd. I may hold off then and put in a request in September with someone for the October trade show. I would rather get the right thing, than be impatient.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
cmd2014|1428548231|3859042 said:
Like everyone here, I love these strands. But I think we need to be careful to point out that these rare and exemplary examples of what top quality can look like. These are very special (i.e rare) strands that were hand selected by Jeremy, which from my understanding were custom ordered either through making a complete strand out of earring quality pearls, or in the case of the cream triple strand, by putting in a special request and having to wait for Jeremy to go to a number of Hong Kong trips with this special request in mind to find something of this quality. They are probably beyond Freshadama quality. Freshadama +++ (to the nth degree) would probably be the most accurate description.

I think it is important to acknowledge this, otherwise many people might be mislead about what to expect when they buy AAA metallics like mine or other stock items. Don't get me wrong, these are gorgeous, lust worthy strands. I just don't think it's fair to suggest that they represent the stock items sold as AAA strands, nor do I think that they were likely priced as such.

I have to admit that based on some of these posts, for a while I started to think that I was being shafted by PP. This was so not fair to PP, as they bear the brunt of the disappointment based on inaccurate comparisons of these rare, unique, custom, and much more expensive strands to more value priced stock items. It's a sentiment I have seen reflected elsewhere, so I know it's not just me. From what I have been led to believe through conversations with the very kind people at PP, mine are representative of the AAA metallics, not these special pieces. These require a commitment to patience and price.

Actually this is inaccurate. These were the second batch to come in after our metallics. 4RG saw the box of the hanks when she was there for a lookie lou. They didn't go up on the site and after 6 months or so I asked her if she knew why as we wanted some. She called and he didn't want to sell them to us as they were "off color" metallics. We said we didn't care and really wanted them no mater what the "off color was" She took 3, I took 2 for a rope. There is NO reason to think these were any better or worse than any others in the lot he purchased.

The earring grade Exotic metallic necklace is considered Freshadama grade, and I was very fortunate to ask when the pearls were still paired on the cards to buy it.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
When Jeremy selected my strand of Metallics I asked about these pearls. Mine had a strong green UNDERtone which moved like a eye to the top of the pearls as I rotated the strand. He said these pearls had orient which is rare in freshwater pearls.

It really attracted me to these pearls and was similar to the pink undertone I always look for when buying akoyas.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
NacreLover|1428580289|3859181 said:
There is NO reason to think these were any better or worse than any others in the lot he purchased.

Then I guess that must have been a particularly beautiful lot, as it's not what is readily available now per my experience. Unless of course you're suggesting that PP just sent me a sub-par strand? I personally don't believe this to be true (as always, Chenai was very kind in helping me and was honest about the qualities of what they had in stock, and for the price I am very happy with my purchase), but if there's truly no reason to believe that these perfect round strands that rival Hanadamas are the norm rather than the exception, and are what everyone should expect if buying an AAA metallic strand from PP, how do we explain the dramatic difference in my my strand as posted earlier in the thread and those that you and 4RG have posted?

If we are appraising my strand honestly, it is decidedly off-round. The luster is not on par with my AAA Akoya pearls. There is also quite a bit of variation of luster throughout the strand. It looks nothing like the examples you guys have posted, and there is literally no way it could be mistaken for top quality akoya pearls. It is what it is: a very reasonably priced off-round strand in a large size that is fun to wear, but would not be mistaken as top quality pearls.

I'm not complaining about PP or my strand, but I am curious about what appears to be your suggestion that strands of the quality that you are posting is what EVERYONE can expect based on stock purchases, when that has not been my experience or that of others here.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all your help! It's a complicated subject. I will be careful to ask about roundness when I purchase. I haven't decided how important it is to me.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the lot and 4rg's and my strands. Ours were selected to match, the variation of undertones in the strands is wide. These are the end of the lot, not pick of the box. Most had been already sold by the time we asked to buy them.

CMD, The last few posts on this thread have been very passive aggressive toward 4RG and I. I am also amazed with height your gall in posting online how others buy their pearls when you have no first hand knowledge of our personal business. Your assumptions posted here as fact have been wrong though out the thread. Perhaps you should concern yourself with your own collection instead of targeting others.

wilmacream_0.jpg

offwhtemetallicstrands_zps615c4cb7.jpg

_28806.jpg

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
I couldn't have greater respect for NacreLover and 4Ranch Girl's knowledge and expertise, but I must say I enormously value CMD'd candour not only on this thread but elsewhere. I think she is very fair to her vendors but states her honest views and I value her input greatly. They are her opinions and she has a right to them and she often voices what I am thinking but am too afraid to say, so I hope she continues to post without abbreviating her views. I am just a mere consumer at the bottom of the prosumer food chain but it is always helpful to me to read her posts.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let's not forget the white metallics were not all from one batch.

There were the earlier ones at the time of the Ruckus 2012; the photos showing the white metallic strand next to the natural white hanadama strand with a clasp were taken during that Ruckus (they appear in the Ruckus thread from that year.)

There were the AAA metallic strands from the Novemeber 2012 special, when I got mine. These were available in 3 sizes. Here is a thread on PS about that batch: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/metallic-white-freshwater-pearls-at-pearl-paradise.181419/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/metallic-white-freshwater-pearls-at-pearl-paradise.181419/[/URL]

There were creamier colored metallics sold later; here is a thread about those: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/freshadama-vs-aaa-metallic.196420/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/freshadama-vs-aaa-metallic.196420/[/URL]

And for all I know there have been other batches of the metallics, purchased by PP and other other vendors during different trips to Hong Kong.

I wouldn't expect the metallic whites to all be identically anything. Not identically round, not identically white, not with identical undertones. Apart from the fact that the pearls are made by living creatures, the specific pearl strands made up by the dealers to be bought by the online vendors could easily have some variation from year to year and from strand to strand.

Bottom line: If you want to buy metallic whites, don't make assumptions about what they will look like based on what mine looked like, or Nacrelover's or anyone else's. Go to the source. Ask the vendors for photos of what they have. If they don't have what you want, ask if they can get them.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pearlsngems|1428595125|3859291 said:
Let's not forget the white metallics were not all from one batch...

Bottom line: If you want to buy metallic whites, don't make assumptions about what they will look like based on what mine looked like, or Nacrelover's or anyone else's. Go to the source. Ask the vendors for photos of what they have. If they don't have what you want, ask if they can get them.

Thank you. This is really all I was trying to say. I think that this applies to ALL pearls, not just the metallics.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On further thought, I do have a few other things I'd like to say:

I have to acknowledge that I have been guilty of making assumptions about what my purchases would be like based on what tends to be posted here. My hope was that by highlighting this, that it would help others to avoid similar disappointment.

We have to admit that we are ALL guilty (me included) of tending to only post rave reviews and not disappointments, especially when certain vendors are involved. There is a culture of this on this forum that has been openly acknowledged on other threads. I have not posted honest feedback at times about my some of my experiences with certain vendors here because of this.

We are also ALL guilty (me included) of only posting our best at home glamour shots of our pearls under the most ideal light conditions that do not represent the full spectrum of conditions under which most of us will see our pearls.

It is also taboo to discuss price. Lets be honest, you get what you pay for, and top quality pearls regardless of what type they are will command top prices to match. My $570 stock strand is just not going to be the same quality as what you will get if you pay for a Freshadama strand, or an earring grade quality strand, or for a custom piece.

I think that all of this presents a skewed view of reality to newbies that is not helpful. I wish that I had a more realistic sense of this when I was starting out....it would have saved me a lot of disappointment and quite a bit of money.

The other thing people might want to be conscious of when providing information about products is that some of us are purchasing across borders and are contending with issues of unfair exchange rates (where you are dinged 5% off the top between the rate you are charged to buy USD and what gets refunded to you if you return something), international shipping costs, and assessed duties that may not be refundable, and don't have the same lack of risk associated with purchases. Because of this, you want to be even more sure that you know what you are actually getting, rather than making assumptions about what 'standard stock' looks like when you are buying. Accurate information really helps with this.

So my intention was not to passive-aggressively target anyone. I was, however, openly challenging some of the information being presented that I thought might not be accurate or helpful to someone who was genuinely asking for help in making an informed choice about what to buy. My hope would be that these kinds of discussions could stick to the issue and not involve personal attacks.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Well said, cmd.

I'd like to add a comment about price. There are some lovely pearls to be found at bargain prices. It simply involves patience and timing.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
In my pearl beginnings I made assumptions, I expected the AAA Metallic White strands to be very round and matched identical due to the threads and comparison photos of higher end pearls strands posted. I had a hard time with them not being round and perfectly match so I returned a few strands. PP was very good to explained to me that the AAA FW metallics are near rounds to off rounds, not perfect rounds. Still, in my head I was expecting better than what I received. I know how rare and difficult it is to produce FW tissue all nacre pearls. I am over the moon with my PP 10 mm White Metallic stud earrings, I would love a strand of this earring quality and in this size or larger.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the great advice everyone. I am definitely a newbie to pearls.

I do agree that people do not tend to post negative reviews.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Sometimes it's not even a negative review. I think people read all the raves and gushes and see the pretty pictures, and then feel disappointed when they order the same item, and wonder what all the fuss was about.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The November 2012 special, for the 8-8.5mm strands, was priced at the discounted price of $600; the price they reverted to in December was around $850. After some time I saw that the price had come down. So if you paid $570, you actually did pretty well.

I take my photos wherever I find that the camera best captures what I see with my naked eye. For most of my pearls that is going to be just inside or just outside my front door. For some pearls (like the metallics) the camera mimics the eye best on overcast days; others show their beauties best on sunny days. The camera fails to capture some of the more intense colors in my Tahitians that I can see with my eye.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
pearlsngems|1428610580|3859434 said:
The November 2012 special, for the 8-8.5mm strands, was priced at the discounted price of $600; the price they reverted to in December was around $850. After some time I saw that the price had come down. So if you paid $570, you actually did pretty well.

I take my photos wherever I find that the camera best captures what I see with my naked eye. For most of my pearls that is going to be just inside or just outside my front door. For some pearls (like the metallics) the camera mimics the eye best on overcast days; others show their beauties best on sunny days. The camera fails to capture some of the more intense colors in my Tahitians that I can see with my eye.
Wow, that is impressive that you remember the prices from 2012.

Ennui, that is true. Pictures are sometimes hard to interpret, which makes it hard to set expectations. For colored stones, the standard return period is 10 days, but some reputable places have a 7 day return period. I learned to return immediately (on Day 2) if something did not sing to me.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious said:
Wow, that is impressive that you remember the prices from 2012.

We don't generally quote what we paid for things, but after all, I do know what I paid. ::)

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I actually did better than that. That was the stock price listed on the website (so I don't think I was spilling any beans). I bought mine during the last 20% off sale, after debating between it and a Freshadama strand. So I'm quite happy with my strand for the price. Sometimes I feel like Wine Spectator Magazine...what rates a 90/100 depends on how much I paid for it. I am much more picky about the pricey stuff than the cheap and cheerful stuff!

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
cmd2014|1428602472|3859361 said:

I have to acknowledge that I have been guilty of making assumptions about what my purchases would be like based on what tends to be posted here. My hope was that by highlighting this, that it would help others to avoid similar disappointment.

We have to admit that we are ALL guilty (me included) of tending to only post rave reviews and not disappointments, especially when certain vendors are involved. There is a culture of this on this forum that has been openly acknowledged on other threads. I have not posted honest feedback at times about my some of my experiences with certain vendors here because of this.

We are also ALL guilty (me included) of only posting our best at home glamour shots of our pearls under the most ideal light conditions that do not represent the full spectrum of conditions under which most of us will see our pearls.

It is also taboo to discuss price. Lets be honest, you get what you pay for, and top quality pearls regardless of what type they are will command top prices to match. My $570 stock strand is just not going to be the same quality as what you will get if you pay for a Freshadama strand, or an earring grade quality strand, or for a custom piece.

I think that all of this presents a skewed view of reality to newbies that is not helpful. I wish that I had a more realistic sense of this when I was starting out....it would have saved me a lot of disappointment and quite a bit of money.

The other thing people might want to be conscious of when providing information about products is that some of us are purchasing across borders and are contending with issues of unfair exchange rates (where you are dinged 5% off the top between the rate you are charged to buy USD and what gets refunded to you if you return something), international shipping costs, and assessed duties that may not be refundable, and don't have the same lack of risk associated with purchases. Because of this, you want to be even more sure that you know what you are actually getting, rather than making assumptions about what 'standard stock' looks like when you are buying. Accurate information really helps with this.

So my intention was not to passive-aggressively target anyone. I was, however, openly challenging some of the information being presented that I thought might not be accurate or helpful to someone who was genuinely asking for help in making an informed choice about what to buy. My hope would be that these kinds of discussions could stick to the issue and not involve personal attacks.

Thanks CMD! As a newbie to the pearl world this is really helpful. I'm also guilty of basing my purchasing decisions on the photos I see here and on another forum. So far so good but I will definitely ask for more photos and ask more questions going forward. As I'm based in Australia, returns are tricky and expensive for me too! :wavey:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cmd2014|1428614455|3859461 said:
Well, I actually did better than that. That was the stock price listed on the website (so I don't think I was spilling any beans). I bought mine during the last 20% off sale, after debating between it and a Freshadama strand. So I'm quite happy with my strand for the price. Sometimes I feel like Wine Spectator Magazine...what rates a 90/100 depends on how much I paid for it. I am much more picky about the pricey stuff than the cheap and cheerful stuff!

Well, then! :appl:

I know what you mean, though. If I spend more, I expect more.
Naturally enough.

caro40

Shiny_Rock
cmd2014|1428602472|3859361 said:

I wrote a long response to this but lost it when my iPad crashed. So my truncated rewrite is: yes, yes, and yes.
And particularly for international folks. I'm in Australia, so it costs $50 to post here for it to arrive in a reasonable time (and safely) and I can't see pearls bought internationally or really contemplate returning them. I rely on photos and reviews when purchasing internationally, which I feel I need to do occasionally when local sellers can't source what I want or their stock is too small/expensive. So realistic and balanced perspectives are vital. I too have not posted about disappointments. I haven't posted about some of my other purchases at all.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Nacrelover - that is a beautiful photograph of the white pearls - actually gave me goosebumps! :love:

Lots of very valid points in this thread and I'm sure that no one was attacking anyone.

I think that the thing to remember when ordering is to be very specific about what you want - if round is important you need to say that. If they don't have anything then you can decide what you want to do about compromising or waiting for someone to find what you would like.

Deal with companies that have an excellent return policy.

Check out paypal as I think they have begun a new policy whereby you can get your shipping refunded on returns! Not positive as I've not read the email completely yet .. it was longer than 5 sentences and my attention span didn't cope... I'll go read it ..tomorrow.

Caro - omg I hate that..my iPad did that twice to me today when I was responding to a thread... arrrrgggghhhhh :angryfire:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results