shape
carat
color
clarity

Keep Or Return - Please Help with A Strand of Tahitian

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
This was an impulsive purchase on TaoBao.com, the Chinese equivalent of eBay, it cost about 800 USD. 18" multicolor, pearl size 8.4 to 10.9 mm. I won't have any chances to inspect it in person within the return window. So it was shipped to my mom who is in China now, and she took the pictures below.

Now, please help me decide whether to keep or return? I already have a strand of green Tahitian that I love . Also have two long fun strands that I'm working with PP to create that involve drop Tahhitian and large but so-so colored Tahitian. I want a strand of multicolor, and was tempted by the relatively lower price tag of this one.

My mom took these pictures indoor during the day, no flash. As you can see, the color are very pretty. Luster is reasonable, but blemishes are visible, and bad on a few.

_28936.jpg

_28937.jpg

_28938.jpg

_28939.jpg

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Here are the vendor pictures for comparison

_28944.jpg

_28945.jpg

_28946.jpg

_28947.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO, you've done well with 800 USD, and I would consider it as a keeper.

However, at the end of the day, it is dependent upon whether you have the money to spare, and how much YOU like it.

DK :))

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
The seller is fairly reputable and listed the strand as all natural. It has a certificate from local authority. But I know nothing about Tahitian treatments.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
dk168|1428776199|3860446 said:
IMHO, you've done well with 800 USD, and I would consider it as a keeper.

Assume the colors are natural I think it is a good buy for $800. Problem is, I'm not sure if I will be bothered by the blemishes later and wish I got a higher quality strand. The 800 could be a good portion towards the purchase of a better strand. There is aNothrr strand cost almost twice as much and is AA+ to AAA in PP standards.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The shapes are round/semi-round, with no obvious drop or baroque shaped pearls, with hardly any rings.

I have come across strands of baroque ones costing the same with much less pleasing shapes and lots of rings on the surfaces, which are not to my liking.

For that price, some surface imperfections are to be expected.

They do not look like they have been treated, and it is not common for tahitians to be treated.

All in all, I would consider it as a keeper myself. Mind you, not that I would consider a multi-colour strand to start with, as it is not for me.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
dk168|1428776973|3860451 said:
The shapes are round/semi-round, with no obvious drop or baroque shaped pearls, with hardly any rings.

I have come across strands of baroque ones costing the same with much less pleasing shapes and lots of rings on the surfaces, which are not to my liking.

For that price, some surface imperfections are to be expected.

They do not look like they have been treated, and it is not common for tahitians to be treated.

All in all, I would consider it as a keeper myself. Mind you, not that I would consider a multi-colour strand to start with, as it is not for me.

Hi DK, thanks for your feedback! Just curious, what does it take to be called a multicolor?

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Multicolor means the strand includes various shades of Tahitians. Your strand shows dark, light, pistachio, silver, etc. The opposite would be a strand where all of the pearls are matched for color.

I think your strand looks like a keeper!

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Here is my drak green strand - happen to be wearing it today.

I want another strand that shows enough color variation to be considered multicolor.

_28948.jpg

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Here is my other option, not purchased so vendor pictures only. 9.0 - 10.9mm, 1500 USD.

Can this be considered multicolor? Compared to strand one in OP, which one is a better buy? let's say budget is not an issue.

_28949.jpg

_28950.jpg

_28951.jpg

_28952.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yingh|1428778947|3860466 said:
Here is my other option, not purchased so vendor pictures only. 9.0 - 10.9mm, 1500 USD.

Can this be considered multicolor? Compared to strand one in OP, which one is a better buy? let's say budget is not an issue.

Yup, that's another multi-colour strand.

If budget is not an issue, then the second strand is definitely the better of the two strands, as reflected in nearly double in price!!!

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
I'm no pearl expert, but based on what you say in your first post (already have a green Tahitian strand, currently having another Tahitian strand made by PP), I wonder if you want something with more noticeable color variation. I agree it's a good price, but only if it's what you're really looking for!

Edit: Just saw the photos of the second strand. The colors on this new one are definitely more varied and more pleasing to my eye, but as dk says, it IS almost double the price....

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
I think it depends on what you are looking for...the oval shaped tahitians at pp seem to be in the price range of the second strand. Maybe you should reach out and ask them if they offer a better quality strand for the price? I find them to be very helpful, and they will give you an honest answer. BTW, on the first strand, you could always have the heavily marked pearls removed (or moved to the back of the necklace where they won't be as obvious but might impact the display of the pearls).

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't buy the first strand. All the pits and divits would be annoying when I looked in the mirror. $1500.00 is a great price for the second strand. The pearls are much higher quality and you won't have to upgrade later. SAVING money.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
yingh|1428777201|3860453 said:
dk168|1428776973|3860451 said:

Hi DK, thanks for your feedback! Just curious, what does it take to be called a multicolor?
Just to clarify, yingh, DK is saying that she would not purchase a multicolor strand for herself. Certainly we all agree that the original strand is a multicolor strand.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
The colors in the first strand are lovely, and the price is good. BUT if you can spare the extra money I would most definitely go for the second ($1500) strand. They are lovely, and not near the amount of blemishes in the first. I know that would bother me after awhile, so I would go for the nicer strand

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I'd get the second strand. It's yummy and the price only hurts for a little while! :Up_to_something:

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If budget is not an issue, the second strand is better. I'd say figure out the highest amount you are willing to spend and then find a strand. Saves you from endless upgrading.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The level of blemishing on strand 1 would bother me. Strand 2 is stunning, if you can afford it. If not, I'd vote for saving the $800 and adding to it over time for a better quality strand. Otherwise you'll just end up upgrading later.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote "no" on the first strand because the blemishes already bother you, and you don't even have the necklace in hand yet! How much more will they bother you once it's no longer returnable?

Better to save for the second strand, or any other that you fully like. $800 may be inexpensive for a round Tahitian strand, but it is not small change. Put it toward a strand you won't have reservations about.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for weighing in. Im returning the first strand and ordering the second. You guys rock!

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Yay! I was also going to say the second one looks much better. Can't wait to see neck shots.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
I placed order for the second strand. My mom won't be back to the states till June so I will have some long wait The vendor sent more pictures, hopefully it will look that good IRL

Ok I will go on a shopping ban now

_28967.jpg

_28968.jpg

_28969.jpg

_28970.jpg

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I missed this before, but my vote would have been to return the strand and get the second one. That first one would have been a poor investment. Second strand looks very nice.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'm a bit late to the debate if you have ordered the second strand but the lustre looks great. If the colours aren't mixed enough you could always get some individual pearls in the future to switch in - and the switched out could go towards a bracelet?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
yingh, I'm glad you decided to upgrade. You will find when you look back, how glad you are that you changed your mind.

Many of us bought subpar strands at the beginning of our collections. Some because we didn't have the money to spend, others because we didn't know where the "good "stuff was available to purchase. When you find the higher quality, you stop wearing the lower quality and end up giving them away or not wearing them. This is no bargain.

I am convinced many who say they don't like pearls haven't seen anything except commercial grade .

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I think you did the right thing, the second strand is absolutely gorgeous, and $1500 is an amazing price

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results