shape
carat
color
clarity

I just inherited these....are they worth anything?

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I do not know anything about pearls but just inherited several strands. Where is a good place to have them appraised? The clasp is 14k with two little diamond chips. They are. 36 inches in length and look to be about 5 or 6 mm. Thanks

_32959.jpg

_32960.jpg

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I suppose you could call around to local jewelers and ask if any of them appraise pearls. Or just hit the consignment shops and see what they offer.

You said several strands; are they all like this? 5-6mm, round, white?

Do you not like pearls? Do you plan to wear these, or are you going to sell?

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There are two other strands that are a little shorter with simpler 14 k clasps and one very long strand that is endless. They are all between 5 and 6 mm. I think they came from a well regarded jeweler in SF. I am not a pearl person but will probably pass them on to my daughter as she does love pearls. I would love to have some idea of what they might be worth. Thanks

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
My guess is that they are Akoya pearls, which are generally worth more than freshwater pearls.

As with any vintage jewelry, condition is a factor. Have they been well-cared for? Clean, no scratches? Is the silk thread clean and in good condition?

If you're just looking for ball park figures, you can price similar strands on eBay, but that can be tricky because so many pearls are misrepresented there.

On your clasps, look for a small clamshell with an M -- that's the hallmark for Mikimoto.

I'm hoping someone else will reply, because I'm not sure how much they could be worth.

I've seen Akoyas at a local consignment shop, but one strand I looked at was very rough, and good pearls are smooth and lustrous. This same shop also has a strand of Mikimoto, priced at $8,000. Pearl prices can be all over the place.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Ennui,

I don't see an 'M' but there may be an 'H' hallmark on the back of the clasp. The pearls look to be in beautiful condition.

_32963.jpg

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
The script "H" may be Honora. Honora sells pearls at all price points. They have an inexpensive line they sell on QVC, but Honora has also sold Akoyas and Tahitians at higher end stores. Honora used to have a boutique in New York.

The clasp in the photo you posted does not look like an Honora item, imho, so the H hallmark may belong to someone else.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I checked the other strands for hallmarks, the 24 inch has 14k 'jcm' hallmark. The other strand and a couple of bracelets have 14k clasps with a 'G' that is in an italicized font so it may be a hallmark.

_32969.jpg

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I know the JCM hallmark. They are a huge jewelry company and make lots of things in both gold and sterling. They have manufacturers all around the world.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks Ennui....so much fun to research this!

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
The necklace with the JCM hallmark is probably freshwater pearls.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ennui,

I took the pearls to the local consignment shop and the proprietress was very helpful. She confirmed that the 'JCM' were indeed freshwater. She said that the 'H' were golden Akoyas. I also showed her the endless strand of pearls and she said they were most likely Biwa type because of their beautiful metallic luster. BTW you don't happen to live in the Bay Area do you? This consignment shop also had an$8000.00 Mikimoto for sale!

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I do! Small world. ;-)

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, the consignment shop helped me out! Thank you

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
That's good. Used pearls are easy to buy but hard to sell. If she appraised them for what they would cost to replace the number would be way off the price to sell them as old used pearls. If she offered to buy them I would be Leary of under pricing.
I hope you enjoy wearing your new strands, someone must have loved you very much to leave you such a thoughtful gift.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi nacre lover,

I am going to distribute to her granddaughters. I wanted to be able to at least know a ballpark value! I know the girls will cherish them!
Thank you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results