shape
carat
color
clarity

I held a real pearl for the first time ever today!

NexivRed

Shiny_Rock
Okay so after choosing my first ever pearls (30th birthday thread, haven't ordered them yet) I mentioned it to my mother in law this evening. She didn't know anything about pearls other than the phrase freshwater, so I shared everything I'd learnt from my research on pearls over the last few days.
She then tells me she owns a pearl. It's a loose one she got in Florida. She finds it and oh my god it was just beautiful! It had overtones of pink, looked to be 6-7mm I'd guess, and HEAVY! I was so not prepared for the weight of it in relation to its size. I handled it for the longest time trying to talk her into getting it set, especially when she told me she bought an oyster in Florida, and that the pearl was inside! Now, I don't know if that was just its "presentation box" and they placed the pearl in an already opened oyster, but if they didn't then those odds are crazy, (I know, I looked them up!)

Seeing as it was SO round and gave such good reflection I told her to get it appraised. Is that possible?

Oh, and handling that lovely little thing gave me goosebumps to think I'd be holding an entire strand of my very own in a few months :D I knew I was right when I allowed myself to fall in love with pearls. For a while I fought against it thinking they were dated and just for old ladies. But my gosh they get me excited! :D Love there's other people to share my passion with :)

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I got my first Tahitian strand as a Christmas present a few years ago, and I remember being really surprised and how heavy and substantial real pearls are. You will also learn the clicking sounds that they make against each other once you actually hold a strand, and not just a single pearl. :))

As for the pearl in an oyster bit, that is a gimmick for tourists. The pearl is planted into the oyster. I remember threads where folks commented that the places selling the oysters didn't even bother at times to match up the correct species of oyster to the pearl! :roll: Don't believe for one second that that particular oyster actually came up from the ocean containing that particular pearl.

Real pearls are lovely. You have found a community of people here who are crazy about pearls. :wavey:

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
NexivRed - Pearls are heavier than you think so I know you'll be impressed with your strand when you get it! And yes I'm sorry to say that the pearl in the oyster is for presentation only. But it is a real cultured pearl!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results