shape
carat
color
clarity

how to buy the best tahitian I can afford...

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I'd like to get a tahitian pendant. Pearl drilled through and on a cord perhaps, although I find the look kind of mannish. I do like the drilled through the centre look, and could always put it on a chain, or silk cord I suppose.

I did purchase one a few years back on a black leather, but now know it is likely a dyed CFW. I do wear it still...

Where and what should I look for when considering a tahitian? I've dealt with several of the big names mentioned here, and mostly I am happy. Sometimes I find the photography a bit misleading from real life. The pearls don't have the range of colors seen in the photography, or they do, but only under very specific conditions. I'm afraid of being disappointed.

I only want to get one tahitian pendant, and want to do it right.

Any advice?

Not easy to take advantage of return policies as I live in Canada.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
As for buying I would ask for photos of many pearls in one shot asking for fancy colors or obvious overtones if that is what you want. As for drilled pearls, I would ask for metal sleeves installed into the drill holes. It looks classy and protects the pearl from wear.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Begonia|1373429647|3480079 said:
I'd like to get a tahitian pendant. Pearl drilled through and on a cord perhaps, although I find the look kind of mannish. I do like the drilled through the centre look, and could always put it on a chain, or silk cord I suppose.

I did purchase one a few years back on a black leather, but now know it is likely a dyed CFW. I do wear it still...

Where and what should I look for when considering a tahitian? I've dealt with several of the big names mentioned here, and mostly I am happy. Sometimes I find the photography a bit misleading from real life. The pearls don't have the range of colors seen in the photography, or they do, but only under very specific conditions. I'm afraid of being disappointed.

I only want to get one tahitian pendant, and want to do it right.

Any advice?

Not easy to take advantage of return policies as I live in Canada.

Ahhhh, I understand. I have been disappointed a few times by the pearls that I got too. And I live in Asia so returns are difficult as well.

For tahitians, I suspect that the tricky thing is the body colour vs overtones. Usually the overtones look gorgeous on vendor pics, but if the body colour is bleh (e.g. some grey or bleh colour), I think in real life will be hard for the pearl to exhibit the range of colours shown in the vendor pic unless under the right lighting condition. If the colour is in the body, then I think the look will be pretty consistent?

How about size of the pearl? Too small, no impact (no matter how beautiful the pearl is) and too big, looks cartoonish.

Maybe work with one of the trusted vendors here? I've been quite happy with my recent purchases from Sarah (Kojima Pearls), and I've seen beautiful tahitian pearls on her site. She gave really good suggestions for my pearl projects. Or... get a Sea of Cortez? ;-)

Personally, I really like the Andy Muller setting and pearls so they are top of my list for now... pics here (scroll to bottom pls): https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ng-baroque-tahitians-from-andy-müller.190979/

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the replies!

Good tips - some things I hadn't considered alright.

The Andy Muller pieces are so lovely...I usually don't like banded pearls either, but the way he designs with them makes me appreciate their lines. I like his...are they bails/vales (?) forget what they are called. Sort of strong looking without being too masculine, as some drilled through pearls can look. Metal sleeves are a thought if I go drill-through though.

This would all be so much easier in person, but I don't like in Tahitianville :lol: Well, plenty of photos as suggested.

I've done PP and Sarah a few times now. I'll give each of them an email. Google tahitian body color and overtone, which might make my eyes go :love: Not a problem, as many of those colors/overtones are not likely available. I think I have seen limited selections with most vendors.

Wish me luck :))

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Begonia, you may already know this, but PP is having a clearance sale and they have a couple of Tahitian pendants left (one actually on leather). They may not be what you're looking for, but I thought I'd mention.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I did see the clearance sale. Thanks for the heads up bsomlo :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results