shape
carat
color
clarity

How do dark baroque Tahitians look on the neck?

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi all, I wrote a long post but lost it. Hope this goes through. I just saw the PP sale. I voted in Ilander's thread for the blue Tahitians and thought I will get blue baroques when the sale is launched. But I couldn't find anything similar to what I had in mind. Now I don't know what to get as I don't know what I like. I saw some dark strands with colorful overtones but am not sure how that will translate when worn since photos are taken with bright lighting but I won't be under bright lighting frequently. I'm concerned that the dark strands that look nice online will simply appear black or dark when worn. Can you please share your experiences?

Another question is whether if it's hard to find sale on Tahitians. I have always thought I will get something in this sale but I can't something that sings to me. I found two that are just alright in my book. I don't want to miss a good deal but neither do I want to buy and let it sit in the box. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you. :))

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There was a good thread on photos discussing vendor vs real life photos. I find that pearls are darker IRL than in PP's lightbox photos. You can always ask them to take some shots in natural light to give you a better feel for regular lighting. ILander mentioned that she asked Jose to take photos in different lighting situations and those photos were close to what she saw IRL.

Here's a shot of my dark green strand in bright light and shade. I can't seem to find PP's photo, not sure if I saved it down. I bought during last PP sale because I liked them but wouldn't recommend buying any pearls that are "just allright." They have to wow you. I have returned some pearls that just didn't work for me, if you'd like I can post a strand I found too dark for me and ended up sending back.

20140514_132650-1_1_.jpg

_21090.jpg

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Baby Monster, thanks for your response and photos. :)) Your strand looks quite different in color under different lighting conditions. The 2 strands I'm considering are as follows:

http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-4054-18-inch-aaa-88-121-mm-drop-tahitian-pearl-necklace.aspx

http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-4156-18-inch-aa-92-124-mm-baroque-tahitian-pearl-necklace.aspx

I prefer the color of the first but the shape of the pearls of the second. Does any of these strands look similar to your dark strand that you ordered and returned? I'd appreciate if you could post the real life and vendor photo of your too dark strand. Thank you very much :))

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
Hi! I felt just like you in regard to Tahitians a few weeks ago :) I so wanted some, and had no idea if photos are accurate re color, what colors might look good on my skin tone etc. I was extremely fortunate and lucky to be at PP last week to see and choose some Tahitians, and I can say every single one of those sale strands is stunningly and uniquely beautiful in its own way. If you give PP a call, the staff is incredibly talented and VERY helpful. They'll be glad to talk about the color of the strands you are looking at, and can maybe even send you photos in different lighting. Happy Pearl Hunting :)

mapo

Shiny_Rock
Hi thecat, I bought my first strand of baroque Tahitians at the PP office because I also felt like I couldn't decide based on pictures alone. I find that natural light pictures really capture what the pearls look like when worn out. I have several pictures of my strand here.

this picture was taken in the morning -
img_5687.jpg

this picture was taken in the evening -
img_5405.jpg

this picture was taken in the evening under a lamp -
img_5403.jpg

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thecat|1407338283|3727208 said:
Baby Monster, thanks for your response and photos. :)) Your strand looks quite different in color under different lighting conditions. The 2 strands I'm considering are as follows:

http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-4054-18-inch-aaa-88-121-mm-drop-tahitian-pearl-necklace.aspx

http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-4156-18-inch-aa-92-124-mm-baroque-tahitian-pearl-necklace.aspx

I prefer the color of the first but the shape of the pearls of the second. Does any of these strands look similar to your dark strand that you ordered and returned? I'd appreciate if you could post the real life and vendor photo of your too dark strand. Thank you very much :))
Neither of these looks like what I returned but second strand would be too dark for my taste. First one has interesting colors. Have you seen this one? The colors are great but it's on small side http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-4043-18-inch-aaa-85-111-mm-drop-tahitian-pearl-necklace.aspx There were more baroque options yesterday when sale started.

I actually dug up the photos of the returned strand but neck shots might've been taken with flash so not entirely representative of color IRL. Still, the strand was much darker IRL than vendor photo.

pp_strand_baroque.gif

dsc08333.jpg

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
CRDKeshi, you must have attended the ruckus then. How I wish to go and try things on for myself but I'm just too far. I feel bad asking PP for photos atm as they must be swamped with orders when a sale is launched. If the 2 strands I'm considering are still there after a week, maybe I will email them after their peak busy period is over.

Mapo, thanks for your photos. :)) The color of your necklace looks different in the morning and evening. It's like getting 2 different necklaces for the price of 1. So versatile. Actually after looking at your photos, I think my 2nd choice is out. My 2nd choice looks darker (under PP bright lights) than yours and your photos are in natural lighting. So I'd imagine that my 2nd choice will basically be black in natural lighting if it's already so dark in bright lights.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
baby monster|1407340686|3727234 said:
Neither of these looks like what I returned but second strand would be too dark for my taste. First one has interesting colors. Have you seen this one? The colors are great but it's on small side http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-4043-18-inch-aaa-85-111-mm-drop-tahitian-pearl-necklace.aspx..... There were more baroque options yesterday when sale started.

I actually dug up the photos of the returned strand but neck shots might've been taken with flash so not entirely representative of color IRL. Still, the strand was much darker IRL than vendor photo.

BM, thank you so much for your additional photos. They are very helpful. Your returned strand had color darkness between my first and second choice. So if your returned strand appeared so dark irl, my 2nd choice is too dark. Which means my 1st choice is doable in terms of color but I don't like the shape so much. I forgot all about PP Tuesday sale launch. It was only when I saw a thread posted in this section today that I went to PP site.

mapo

Shiny_Rock
thecat|1407340991|3727238 said:
Mapo, thanks for your photos. :)) The color of your necklace looks different in the morning and evening. It's like getting 2 different necklaces for the price of 1. So versatile. Actually after looking at your photos, I think my 2nd choice is out. My 2nd choice looks darker (under PP bright lights) than yours and your photos are in natural lighting. So I'd imagine that my 2nd choice will basically be black in natural lighting if it's already so dark in bright lights.

I prefer the first necklace of the two you posted above as well. I like the shape and the stronger overtones in the first one. Good luck on your decision!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What color did you have in mind, thecat? If you really like Ilander's blue strand, contact Jose, maybe he can put together a similar strand for you.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
baby monster|1407342135|3727254 said:
What color did you have in mind, thecat? If you really like Ilander's blue strand, contact Jose, maybe he can put together a similar strand for you.

I was hoping for a mix of peacock and blue baroques. Many of the strands on sale said green body color. Actually I don't really see why body color is green when it doesn't seem so in photos. I suppose they mean it will look green irl. I think I will look at other sites for Tahitian necklace then. I didn't do it initially as I thought to take advantage of this sale.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
I think you're doing the right thing, looking around for the strand you really want. And definitely have them take non-glamour shots for you so you can see them closer to real life. If you find a strand you love you can always ask them if they have an upcoming sale you could take advantage of or could they try to match $ to a strand on PP's sale? I wish you happy hunting!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
BabyMonster, Napo, Nacrelover, those are gorgeous! :love:

TheCat: I just posted my necks shots, and wrote this in my other thread: When I first asked Jose about these, I asked him to send me pics without filters, in natural light. I think that is the way to go. I learned this from buying colored stones, which, like pearls, changed colors everywhere they go. Which makes it a pain to buy them. :rolleyes: So I would ask for a pic of the stone on the hand, that usually helped.

Or sometimes it's easiest to just ask! "I like these types of colors, do you have something like that or something else that you think is really great?" I never even considered, or knew of, cherry pearls, but Jose suggested them.

Also, putting stuff on the web is a pain for pearl and colored stone sellers. They usually have a bunch of stuff stuck away in the safe, so don't be afraid to ask about that. I got a great emerald that way a few years back. Jose told me he had a "rather huge store of un-photographed new arrivals", and I'm sure all the other suppliers have them too. Just ask, and tell them you don't want anything that will go grey, which is always a possibility with Tahitians.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
pkinnew|1407349730|3727319 said:
I think you're doing the right thing, looking around for the strand you really want. And definitely have them take non-glamour shots for you so you can see them closer to real life. If you find a strand you love you can always ask them if they have an upcoming sale you could take advantage of or could they try to match $ to a strand on PP's sale? I wish you happy hunting!

Thanks for the info on price matching, pkinnew. It didn't occur to me to ask as I thought vendors only price match diamonds. Hopefully, they will do the same for pearls too. ;))

NacreLover said:
Blue eyed blonde wearing a solid green strand. Hope this helps

Wow, NacreLover, green looks good on your skin tone :appl: Your strand is gorgeous! I went to a counter selling pearls (though some might be glass) to try colors and realised that peach, light pink and cream blend in too much with my skin tone though they look nice by themselves. Green doesn't agree with me generally :blackeye: , be it clothes or nail polish, hence I will try to avoid that for pearls even though I have never try green pearls on me before. But it looks amazing on you! Different colors for different ladies ;))

iLander said:
Jose told me he had a "rather huge store of un-photographed new arrivals", and I'm sure all the other suppliers have them too. Just ask, and tell them you don't want anything that will go grey, which is always a possibility with Tahitians.

Thanks for the tip on unlisted pearls and I will bear the grey reminder in mind. :))

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
4Ranch Girl|1407433871|3727969 said:
Here are a couple pictures of my strands
4RG, thank you for the neck shots. I love the strands in your first photo. I'm not sure which strand is in your 2nd photo but if it's one of the strands in the first photo, then my conclusion is that all pearls change drastically in different lightings.

I contacted PP and they will be listing more in the next 2 weeks. So exciting! But I'm worried I will forget to check again on tues morning.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
No it is three different strands with three different body colors.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
4Ranch Girl|1407435934|3727989 said:

Oh I didn't realise that. May I know what is the body color of the 3rd strand? I'm still learning and it's great that ladies here have many great examples to show and for me to learn from. I saw your ruckus photos and collection thread. You've a sizable and amazing collection :love:

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
thecat|1407457951|3728221 said:

Oh I didn't realise that. May I know what is the body color of the 3rd strand? I'm still learning and it's great that ladies here have many great examples to show and for me to learn from. I saw your ruckus photos and collection thread. You've a sizable and amazing collection :love:
blue, green and black

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
4Ranch Girl|1407459081|3728233 said:
thecat|1407457951|3728221 said:

blue, green and black

Thank you very much, 4RanchGirl :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results