shape
carat
color
clarity

Hinata/Andy Muller baroque Tahitian strand from Hong Kong

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
I picked this beauty up from the Hong Kong Gem & Jewellery Trade fair I went to last week. Sorry for the delay in photos - my daughter wiped a stack of pics from my phone while we were in HK (which means I have no trade fair shots to share) and I have only just gotten around to taking some more photos this morning.

Here are the stats:

Length: 90cm, unknotted (just on temp wire for the moment) "Viva" strand
Size: 6-14.7mm (approximately 16 pearls larger than 13mm)
Baroques, some lightly circled, some just off round
Strong peacock to light silver colour, AAA - AA grade Lustre, A to A- pearl surface quality

I initially wanted a super long multicolour strand (maybe 52in) of quite knobbly large (10-13mm) baroques but I couldn't find anything that had the lustre or quality that I wanted. I could have selected a couple of strands of pearls from another vendor and had them strung but once I saw this one, I fell hard. The colour variation is just superb and the shapes of all the individual pearls are fabulous. I did toss up getting a large shorter strand (14-16mm, 18in silver drops) which was a little more expensive, but I really really wanted the pink and green peacock overtone and while the lustre of that strand was good (and I liked the silver colour), the orient was not nearly as good as this strand. And I think this one is more wearable. I would wear this necklace with jeans as easily as I would out to a fancy dinner date, whereas the shorter strand was definitely more formal.

I think the 90cm length is quite useful - I can double it over but it's still short enough to wear as a single strand. And I can layer it with my other Tahitian strand if I want a triple look (or buy another complementary strand next year!).

This came in at the very top end of my budget and is my Christmas present, so I will get it strung and then hand it over to Mr K until then. But for the moment I just can't stop looking at them. They are just so beautiful.

Thanks to icy_jade for the Andy Muller recommendation! He had some of the most exquisite pearls I saw at the show.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Hinata/Andy Muller baroque Tahitian strand from Hong Kon

_10230.jpg

_10231.jpg

_10232.jpg

_10233.jpg

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock

Some pearl detail shots:

_10234.jpg

_10235.jpg

_10236.jpg

_10238.jpg

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock

:appl: :appl: :appl: congratulations on your new beauty :lickout: Christmas doesn't that happen in October? :mrgreen:

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock

I think it might just 4RanchGirl....

kitsunegrl

Rough_Rock

Wow, that is luscious!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

Oh my, look at the luster on that big peacock, wow. Stunning mirrorlike finish. You just want to sit and stare at those beauties. Gorgeous strand.

Thanks for the pictures. More close ups would be appreciated. :wavey:

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:
:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock

What a faublous strand of Tahitians :love: :love: :love: I love their shapes and sizes, and their luster is fantastic! Christmas is not so far off...looking forward to neck shots then :twirl:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

Back to admire this strand again this morning. Love that two tone blue and pale silver pearl. It is right next to a pearl with a red overtone. :love: And that nearly white baroque. Sigh. So pretty and the luster throughout is amazing.

This strand reminds me a lot of my Kamoka harvest strand, what with the different colors and the sizes undulating from large to small to large again. I hope you keep that wavelike size grading going with the finished strand. One thing I've found is that with the two beautiful clasps in my strand, you can wear the necklace at almost any position. There is no obvious center pearl. Keeps the looks fresh and casual, just as you described above. Love your taste!

Have you thought about the clasp? This strand deserves one (or two??) that would allow you to show it off, so it doesn't need to stay at the back of the neck.

PearlGem

Rough_Rock

Love this very high luster multicolor Tahitian. Enjoy it with many years of good health. Neck shot please...
Please show us other pearls you've bought from the HK show.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

love it!

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock

Absolutely gorgeous! Wear it in good health (starting now).

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock

Fly Girl, thank you! That pearl is one of my favourites. It's only (only?) about 10mm but it packs a real punch. What I love about this strand is that it never fails to surprise. The day I bought it I went back to visit it three times. And every time, more in love. It definitely reminds me of your Kamoka Harvest strand - I love the almost randomness of the pearls. The order should not work but it absolutely does. I plan on keeping the order exactly as it is for the final necklace. In terms of clasp...? I really just thought of a plain silver ball clasp. I haven't seen anything else I would like (plus I was too busy to look at findings at the show). I would love to do a mystery clasp with one of the big pearls though - that would be cool and make an endless rope of pearls.

http://www.pearlparadise.com/Mystery-Clasp-1629.aspx

Problem is finding someone to do it here in Australia! Or an antiqued silver clasp with diamonds - will have to search for what I mean and post it back here.

Lit Geek - I am trying very hard not to ask for it before Christmas but I know I will want something to open on Christmas morning (and something new to wear that day) so frankly it's in my best interests to hold out. Plus I have another wee present coming my way in October (the 4ct diamond ring that's in my avatar) so that might just have to tide me over in the interim.

PearlGem - I bought some other Tahitians (darker, more circled ones) for a necklace I plan to do with green onyx and... drumroll.... Well, basically some gigantic light silver smoothish ripples (15+mm) with a pink overtone for some necklaces I plan to do with pink sapphire rondelles and maybe one or two with labradorite. Will post some pics from my phone!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

I like your mystery clasp idea.

Why not have Pearl Paradise put the mystery clasp in a pearl that they have? Then all that would be sent to you is the one pearl with the clasp. I'm sure they would have the perfect amazing pearl somewhere in their large stock. :))

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock

You. Are. A. Freakin. Genius.

Seriously.

I will email Jeremy about it tonight.

For that here are some more close up shots as a reward.

_10264.jpg

_10265.jpg

_10266.jpg

_10267.jpg

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock

_10268.jpg

_10269.jpg

_10270.jpg

_10271.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

Why, thank you, misskittycat. Sigh, those pearls are stunning. Thank you for the additional photos. :cheeky:

I just noticed that three pearls behind the two-tone silver and blue pearl is a silver pearl with two-tone pink and green overtones. These pearls are amazing!

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock

I know - every pearl is seriously spectacular. Even the tiny little ones. I can't believe I own such an amazing rope.

Here is the kind of clasp I was thinking about. I saw some at Rio Pearls but this is not one of theirs:

But I am more and more liking the mystery clasp option...

clasp.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

Thinking about it a bit more, I realize the mystery clasp takes two pearls. PP probably has two pearls they could find for you. :wink2:

I like that fancy clasp, but I'd want to be sure it wasn't scratchy. Irritating clasps are a pet peeve of mine. :errrr:

PearlGem

Rough_Rock

MissKittycat, I find myself keep coming back to see your rope. The pearls are like mirrors, they're really beautiful. Will you string them yourself?

Whiever clasp you choose, please show us the final strand.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock

Lucky you to be able to get an Andy Mueller necklace. It's beautiful with very nice luster and color. Wear it in good health.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock

misskittycatI really like your mystery clasp idea. Love the clasp in the photo...are those raw diamonds? Can't wait to see your finished strand :geek:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

misskittycat|1379816508|3525068 said:
I know - every pearl is seriously spectacular. Even the tiny little ones. I can't believe I own such an amazing rope.

Here is the kind of clasp I was thinking about. I saw some at Rio Pearls but this is not one of theirs:

But I am more and more liking the mystery clasp option...

Omg I love your new strand! :love: :love: :love:
I do prefer the bejeweled clasp option as it glams up the strand, but it's quite pricey ya?

Wish Hinata is coming to Singapore again. Sigh.
Ok, going back to cold turkey and staying away from pearl temptations... :((

PearlGem

Rough_Rock

Hi! Katbadness, the next HK show is in March 2014. However, the show in March is not as big as the September show.
How about the show in Tucson in Feb 2014? http://www.agta.org/tradeshows/gemfair-tucson.html
i don't know why I can't find the tool to PM you.

katbadness

Shiny_Rock

Hi PearlGem,

Could it be that there is no PM function because mine is an extremely old account (and considered dead?)? I used to hang out at the Gemstone forum.. I've just recently gotten into pearls... because pearls-a-plenty where I am right now (Indonesia - the land of SSP).

Hmmm... Tucson is very far but a possibility. HK is more feasible... But on a more positive note, I can save up until then! Haha.. :tongue: :naughty:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

katbadness|1379957219|3525734 said:
Apart from Japan and HK, do they show their wares anywhere else? Is there a show schedule somewhere?

I saw them in the last Singapore fair but they don't seem to be attending the Oct show. They are working with a jewellery store in Bangkok.

Singapore is nearer than Hong Kong, and open to the public... Plus it's just next month!
http://singaporejewellerygemfair.com

Spotted Jewelmer and some of the large Japanese pearl distributors so should see some goodies at the show, tho I'm sure it's not as spectacular as the Hong Kong one.

katbadness

Shiny_Rock

icy_jade|1380038206|3526336 said:
Singapore is nearer than Hong Kong, and open to the public... Plus it's just next month!
http://singaporejewellerygemfair.com

Spotted Jewelmer and some of the large Japanese pearl distributors so should see some goodies at the show, tho I'm sure it's not as spectacular as the Hong Kong one.

Ohhh.... Decisions, decisions... :confused:
There is an Indonesian Pearls Festival next month too! I will be so broke if I go to the IPF and the Singapore Jewellery Fair... :knockout:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results