shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Ring vendor suggestions needed

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I'm looking for some vendor suggestions/recommendations for high quality pearl rings. My DH's best friend is looking for an engagement ring and his girlfriend has mentioned she likes pearls. I'm not sure if she has something particular in mind, but I thought I could at least give him some solid vendors to use if he does decide to go with a pearl e-ring.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
no idea other than the usual that participants here purchase from.

and just to make sure, they both know that a pearl ring is not for wearing 24/7 ? i'd be ok with that...in fact, i am ok with that as my e-ring is a spessartite garnet. but some want to wear their e-ring 24/7....also, does she work? sometimes the type of work one does will limit the style/setting of a ring: for instance, needing to wear gloves at work, etc.

you are a good friend for helping him!

MoZo

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, movie zombie! I'm not that familiar with the vendors PSers have used for pearls... I noticed a few threads mentioned Pearl Paradise and they do have some pretty ring. I'll have to read through more threads, I guess! :))

I am not sure if she realizes that pearls aren't for everyday wear. She is a speech pathologist in an elementary school, so I think she could wear a pearl ring to work semi-regularly if she wanted to. I actually see her as more of a gemstone kind of gal--she could totally rock a unique center stone color for her e-ring. I may have to chat her up about jewelry and find out if she really does want a rock (diamond or otherwise) and is just saying pearls because she knows he is a grad student and is on a budget...

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, the pearl rings i've seen were not in my budget and i'm not a grad student on a budget. there are pearls, then there are Pearls, and then there are PEARLS. again, something for every budget.........

MoZo

briolette

Shiny_Rock
Hi Rubybeth,
My SO got my promise ring from American Pearl and I'm very happy with the workmanship and the quality of the pearl. It was relatively inexpensive, although they do have some high end items as well. The shipping and packaging were quite good. You can see pictures here:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-promise-ring.154986/

I agree that a pearl is not an everyday e-ring just because the gem is organic and is reactive to acids, detergents, etc. But if she's careful about wearing it, I don't see why not.

Pearl rings really are not meant to be worn a lot... I've seen some gross rings! You can't really "clean" them very well so if the pearl isn't damaged, it usually gets caked in dirt (oils, whatever). But that's only people that wear them a lot and don't baby them.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your input, briolette and bean! I really love the look of a pearl ring, and yours is lovely, briolette. I've thought about getting one from etsy but I would baby that thing so much... I'm with you, bean, that it wouldn't be an everyday ring.

In other news, I did contact the friend to let him know I'm more than willing to help :naughty: and he said he will discuss with me before buying. I'm happy if I get to at least warn him about the pitfalls of a pearl, if that's what he decides... maybe I can make some wedding band suggestions that would be more wearable and substantial enough to be worn solo much of the time. I still totally see her as a gemstone type (she is very, very cool and unique in her 'look' and style of dress, etc.) and I'm sure she wouldn't balk at a diamond, and maybe he could get her a pearl pendant/earrings or something as a gift.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results