shape
carat
color
clarity

Help please! What are these?

Millypink

Rough_Rock
First of all, a big thank you to all - I have spent many a happy hour lusting after all your lovely pearl jewellery, and learning about pearls. Clearly, I haven't learnt very much though...... I bought an 80cm strand of "Baroque Tahitian" pearls on e-bay, and they are so tiny, I don't think they can be Tahitians. They are heavily circled & pitted, which I don't mind; in fact I rather like this organic look. Can anyone enlighten me as to what they actually are please? PS: they weren't expensive so I'm not really bothered if they are fakes.

DSCN3668.JPG

DSCN3665.JPG

The Old Pearler

Rough_Rock
Your suspicions are correct. What you have is a strand of dyed freshwater from China. Those are not Tahitian.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
dyed freshwaters for sure......but they look great on you and you got them for cheap so its a win-win! congrats!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I hope you left negative feed back for the deception. There are far too many pearls mislabeled as more expensive types on ebay.

Millypink

Rough_Rock
I didn't leave negative feedback for the seller, because, in their defence, they did state that the pearls were "sold to them as Tahitian". I did send an e-mail to her telling her so that hopefully in future, she won't be duped either. They were inexpensive, so I knew I was taking a huge chance.....caveat emptor!! Thanks for all the helpful replies!

PearlsOfJoy

Rough_Rock
Trade
Millypink|1338283612|3205385 said:
I didn't leave negative feedback for the seller, because, in their defence, they did state that the pearls were "sold to them as Tahitian". I did send an e-mail to her telling her so that hopefully in future, she won't be duped either. They were inexpensive, so I knew I was taking a huge chance.....caveat emptor!! Thanks for all the helpful replies!

That's not a good excuse, nobody involved in the jewelry business would every mistake those for Tahitian pearls - they are stereotypical freshwater pearls.

That merchant should be refunding your money if they knew/or now know they sold you FWPs as Tahitians.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results