shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Can I make a pearl necklace longer?

susief

Shiny_Rock
I ordered a 16-inch 6.5-7.0mm AAA necklace from Pearl Paradise. It's really gorgeous but I'm kicking myself for not ordering 18 inches - I didn't realise how much higher a pearl strand sits than a pendant... Unfortunately, being in the UK, sending it back is not an option due to the high cost of international shipping, plus I have to pay a large amount of tax on it regardless.

Is there any way a local jeweller could add on a couple of inches of pearls, without having to restring the whole thing? Any ideas of a ballpark cost? (I called a few jewellers but they all said they would have to see it and it's difficult for me to get to any of them).

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
They can make a two inch extender that would lengthen the necklace, if the clasp can be matched. Then it would not need to be restrung.

Alternatively, they can add a few pearls to the back and restring it. Restringing is not a big deal, and should be done periodically anyhow.

Here is a thread about a 16 inch necklace where I also needed a little more length. The jeweler added a few pearls to the back and restrung. All is well.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-first-pearl-necklace-circa-1972.152127/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-first-pearl-necklace-circa-1972.152127/[/URL]

susief

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much FlyGirl - that's exactly what I needed to see! I'm arranging for them to be restrung and extended just like that. Your necklace is stunning by the way :appl:

You know what would be AWESOME.. since you're at it? making an extender and a bracelet! It gives you many options. you can bring the length from 16" to 18" to 23" to 25"!

Lots of options :)

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
susief|1334387259|3170747 said:
Thank you so much FlyGirl - that's exactly what I needed to see! I'm arranging for them to be restrung and extended just like that. Your necklace is stunning by the way :appl:
You are so welcome, susief. That's exactly why we post threads like that. It's certainly not to show off my not-so-youthful neck. :wacko:

Please come back with pictures showing your new necklace. :wavey:

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Flygirl - did you have your restringing done by Gary? I have a strand that I'd like some pearls removed from and restrung so this thread is timely. :))

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
K9|1334419823|3170918 said:
Flygirl - did you have your restringing done by Gary? I have a strand that I'd like some pearls removed from and restrung so this thread is timely. :))
Yes, I did. They have a local stringer that they send their pearl work to who does a fine job. Noel is still at G Allan, and she is the best sales associate to discuss your pearl project with.

susief

Shiny_Rock
Fly Girl|1334417894|3170896 said:
You are so welcome, susief. That's exactly why we post threads like that. It's certainly not to show off my not-so-youthful neck. :wacko:

Definitely! Hopefully should be all done and back within two weeks.

And you have a lovely neck (that came across creepy, but hopefully you know what I mean :cheeky: )

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
susief|1334507165|3171561 said:
Fly Girl|1334417894|3170896 said:

Definitely! Hopefully should be all done and back within two weeks.

And you have a lovely neck (that came across creepy, but hopefully you know what I mean :cheeky: )
Thanks for the compliment and the laugh, Susie! :lol:

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Fly Girl|1334453983|3171260 said:
K9|1334419823|3170918 said:
Yes, I did. They have a local stringer that they send their pearl work to who does a fine job. Noel is still at G Allan, and she is the best sales associate to discuss your pearl project with.

Thank you! :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results