shape
carat
color
clarity

Hello! Big freshies--bead nucleated or not?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Hello all!

I'd like some BIG (ok--10mm or so) freshies. Should I go for bead nucleated freshwater pearls with a softer lustre, aka. 'moonglow' as CC describes it, so should I go for 'normal' tissue freshwaters that have a sharper lustre?

I know..it probably depends on my preference! Honestly, though, I have no idea what I'd want out of a large strand. I don't want perfectly round pearls. The 'softer' look of the bead nucleated pearls sort of remind me of south seas, and I'm leaning slightly in the 'moonglow' direction because I think a softer glow would make a nice understated statement since the pearls are large anyway. What do you all think?

Thanks in advance!!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I like the description, moonglow. I think it depends on your style, occasion for wear, your build etc. You should get whatever speaks to you, any photos of the contenders?

Looking forward to seeing your new purchase.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I've been looking at these strands as well, and having the same questions in my mind. One question I am wondering about, (yes, all I need to do is ask Catherine, but I'm still in the wondering stage :twirl: ) is if the moonglow pearls are lighter in weight? I'm not real fond of super-heavy pearls/strands, and the larger and longer they are, the heavier. I have some metallic pearls, but I'm finding that they aren't my favorites. I'm thinking that the moonglow will show the body color of the pearl better, since there won't be as much reflected light as from the metallics. In the end, I suppose there is a place for both in my growing pearl collection.

A photo of Catherine's moonglow pearls, for a bit of eye candy.

388_Very_High_Lustre_Plump_Oval_Pinks_Moonglow_Freshwater_Pearl_Necklace.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
even if you're in the "wondering" stage, its best to contact catherine directly. she's completely honest in assessing her pearls. i'm betting i'm the only one who asked her what power pro is!!!!!!!

she also has some nice "rice" pearls that you might consider.....as well as "buttons". i tend to like these mixed in with other smaller rounds....gives texture and interest, imo.

MoZo

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Thank you LG, Flygirl, and MoZo!

Its great to see that a lot of the pearl crowd are really active on CS too. Makes me feel right at home! Pearls can be so hard to chose, esp. since they are very noticeable and by your face.

LG- Thanks! I like the descriptor moonglow as well. Very romantic. Pictures? Where do I even start! I like so many of CC's pearls.
This is a basic white, but I like it http://www.catherinecardellinipearls.com/?subject=moreInfo&id=1240
some metallic whites, but around 9mm http://www.catherinecardellinipearls.com/?subject=necklaces&page=95
And some recent moonglows http://www.catherinecardellinipearls.com/?subject=necklaces&page=5

Flygirl--Thanks! That's a really good question. I wonder too..you're right that the moonglows must show body color more. Good point! I hadn't thought of that. Any particular reason metallics aren't your favorites? I have quite a few misc. pearl strands and a strand of Freshadamas, but I don't have real-life experience with a strand of metallics.

MoZo--I will definitely shoot CC an email once I can narrow things down just an eensy bit more. I've actually got about 7-8 of her pages bookmarked, which is only half of what I book marked after my initial look-see. I'm glad to hear that she is gives fair evaluations of her pearls (I would have guessed as much though since I've read so many great reviews!)

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i'm still learning about pearls......actually, i'm starting to prefer them over color stones :errrr: gasp, did i just write that?!

however, i'll never own a $5000 strand or pearl...........something for every budget as i always say over in the color forum! and i'm glad there is. its amazing how i feel wearing a pearl necklace or two.....and they really lighten up my face.

MoZo

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
IndyLady|1296589592|2839631 said:
Flygirl--Any particular reason metallics aren't your favorites?
Metallics have more reflected light and I find it harder to see the body color of the pearl. I got some pink metallic pearl studs from the clearance sale at Pearl Paradise recently, and they are more of a grey steely pink, and I was hoping for more of a pink color. It's a matter of preference. You may love the look.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Fly Girl|1296605159|2839951 said:
IndyLady|1296589592|2839631 said:
Flygirl--Any particular reason metallics aren't your favorites?
Metallics have more reflected light and I find it harder to see the body color of the pearl. I got some pink metallic pearl studs from the clearance sale at Pearl Paradise recently, and they are more of a grey steely pink, and I was hoping for more of a pink color. It's a matter of preference. You may love the look.

I think it depends on which pink you have. PP had pink in varying shades. The darker pink ones were probably out of stock by the time PP had the clearance promotion. I have a metallic strand, not eight-way roller round, that is pink with slight gold and green overtone and I love it.

Not all bead-nuked are satiny or has moonglow luster, I don't think. Most bead-nuked are more metallic and large, 10mm+.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results