shape
carat
color
clarity

freshwater vs. akoya-weight

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
Hey all. I've been a pearl fiend for some time and have been building a collection for over 20 years. Pretty much all I have are akoyas and I just got my first strand of freshwaters not too long ago. I was floored by the difference in weight! They are SO much heavier? Is this because they're more solid nacre?

I'm used to wearing a 32 inch strand of 7mm, a 36 inch strand of 6.5-7mm as well as shorter strands. This is an 18 inch strand of 7.5-8mm freshadamas and they easily outweigh the 36 in strand-not in a bad way. I'm just curious as to whether anyone else has had a similar experience.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you comparing apples with apples? Same size, same length akoyas and freshwaters? Because I would not have expected a difference in weight, given that the shell nucleus in the akoya is supposed to have the same density as nacre to prevent the pearl from shattering when being drilled.

As an aside, imitation pearls with glass beads are heavier than real pearls, and imitation pearls with plastic beads are lighter.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
NO, as I said, not apples to apples but the difference is staggering.

Pattye

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Well Mrs. Taylor, you made me curious about this, as I don't wear akoya at all. But I have both 6mm akoya and freshwater strands that haven't been strung yet. So supporting your observation:

The Akoya strand weighed 20.1 grams, and is 2 pearls longer
The freshwater strand weighed 20.6 grams

With larger pearls the the difference likely would be proportionate, but more noticeable. Wish I had larger sizes to weigh~

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting, so the akoyas were (minimally) lighter even with extra pearls? Huh!

Yes, my freshwaters just feel incredible luxurious. It could be all in my head, but I don't think so. I should weigh them to be sure.... :Up_to_something:

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Mrs. Taylor -- I was just thinking how much I enjoy the cool and very substantial feel of my triple freshwater strand. I'm planning to wear them again tomorrow. I highly recommend a triple strand -- it's like wearing a collar of luxury.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
it looks marvelous on you. I am definitely going to be doing a 3 strand....but it may have to wait a bit. I've been on a pearl bender of late. :oops:

I really want to find a fantastic clasp to build it around. I had almost snagged one, but it was for a double rather than a triple. I can't wait to feel what that would be like.

I'm one who likes weight and pressure. I will enjoy a necklace far more if I can really feel it. Probably one of the reasons I adore pearls!

Bsomlo-do you have a thread with your collection in it anywhere? You have exquisite taste.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results