shape
carat
color
clarity

Freshadama vs akoya for bracelet

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
New to pearls and am just sort of getting my feet wet. I have a small pair of beautiful white akoya earrings that were gifted to me a few years ago - they fit perfectly in my diamond earring jackets (they are small - 5.5 mm). . I have an event coming up and my dress doesn't work with a necklace but I think a bracelet would work nicely and I could wear my earrings with it with the jackets. I'm trying to decide what kind of bracelet to buy - the options are a high quality akoya bracelet or a freshadama bracelet. PearlParadise gets excellent reviews on here, and the difference between those two is about $100. Would the freshadamas look odd when worn with the akoya earrings?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my opinion, no-- the Freshadamas are nearly round and could go nicely with akoya earrings.

Bracelets get banged around more than earrings do. When we put our wrists on tables, they drag across the surface. If you plan to wear the bracelet often, solid-nacre FWP like the Freshadamas will take the beating better than akoyas, which have a relatively thin layer of nacre over a bead. (Generally under 0.4mm.)

But if high luster is important and you do not plan to wear the bracelet often, or only to "events", then you may be happier with the akoyas.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
pearlsngems|1448908198|3955643 said:
In my opinion, no-- the Freshadamas are nearly round and could go nicely with akoya earrings.

Bracelets get banged around more than earrings do. When we put our wrists on tables, they drag across the surface. If you plan to wear the bracelet often, solid-nacre FWP like the Freshadamas will take the beating better than akoyas, which have a relatively thin layer of nacre over a bead. (Generally under 0.4mm.)

But if high luster is important and you do not plan to wear the bracelet often, or only to "events", then you may be happier with the akoyas.

exact point I was going to make.
maybe see if they can find some super sharp luster pearls to go with okays

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
You will never have anyone looking at your ear and your wrist at the exact same time. No one will be able to tell if the earrings aren't the same kind of pearl.

Go with the freshwaters. They are less expensive and will hold up better to the banging around a bracelet will have to take.

Metallic freshies might match your akoyas better than regular freshies. Or gem quality (like PP Freshadamas) might match your earrings. Or look close enough. Even if you got the exact same type as pearls (earrings and bracelet), they still won't be an exact match because you got them at different times, so I wouldn't stress over that.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Unless you are planning to walk around for the whole event with your wrist up next to your earlobe only the very pearl observant would notice any difference.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to admit, if the price difference is only $100, I'd go for the Akoya.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops, I meant to add more and post later...what I meant to say is that while the Freshadama won't look weird with your Akoya earrings, I personally prefer the sharper, more metallic luster of Akoyas compared to the softer, slightly more satiny luster of freshwater pearls, and with the price difference not being that much for that particular item (whereas for larger necklaces, it becomes much more significant) I would go for the Akoya pearls. But both will be beautiful.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the input, everyone. Need to decide ASAP but having a hard time deciding. Know that either will be beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results