shape
carat
color
clarity

Freshadama vs AAA Metallic

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
UPS did not show up at my house until late last evening and I debated wether or not to open the box from PP containing a strand of 8.5-9mm Freshadamas and a strand of 7-8mm AAA metallic white freshwaters. I was afraid that since they were so cold (it was literally freezing outside) and it was so dark (only florescent lighting inside) that I would be disappointed with the pearls. Of course i gave in and opened the box within 5 minutes :lol: I have zero patience when it comes to waiting for pearls and I had already waited over a week to see these.

My first impression was astonishment! Even through the bubble wrap and plastic bags I could see how lustrous the pearls were. The Freshadamas took my breath away! The metallics are also gorgeous, but they are smaller and more Akoya like. I am a wSS girl all the way :love: I just love the more satiny luster of my wSS pearls, which the Freshadamas were closer to (no substitute mind you). The funny thing is that I have been insisting that I am a saltwater pearl girl, but I haven't seen high quality freshwater pearls before...these have definitely changed my mind :twirl:

Enough rambling, here are the photos :snore:

freshadama_vs_metallic.jpg
Freshadamas left and metallic fw right
pearls_a_m_f.jpg
8.5-9mm Freshadamas left, 7-8mm metallic fw, 5.5-6mm AAA akoya rope

Adding more photos now...

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Necklaces from top to bottom: Freshadama, metallic, Akoya
earrings_strands.jpg
Earrings From left: 11.8 mm wSS studs, 13mm wSS baroques, and 8.6mm Natural White Handama Akoya studs

Necklaces from top to bottom: Freshadama and metallic
loose_earrings_strands.jpg
Earrings from left: wSS baroques, wSS studs, Akoyas

Adding more photos now...

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
wss_freshadama.jpg
wSS earrings with Freshadama strand

akoya_metallic.jpg
Natural White Hanadama studs with metallic white strand

So have you all figured out that I want both strands??? The Freshadamas are just stunning and look magnificent mixed with my wSS pearls. The metallics look fantastic with my Natural White Hanadamas and Akoya rope, but I want to go with a longer length. I do want to add that the Freshadamas also look great with the Akoyas :wink2:

I am thrilled I took the leap and gave the freshies a try! I will post neck shots at a later date when my necklaces are strung :geek:

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, they are all amazing but I personally like the Freshadamas more. They're just so round! And big(ger). I didn't realize that you didn't get them strung. How are you planning on stringing them?

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
sortmon|1387299581|3576159 said:
Ooh, they are all amazing but I personally like the Freshadamas more. They're just so round! And big(ger). I didn't realize that you didn't get them strung. How are you planning on stringing them?

I like the Freshadamas too! I will send them to PP and they will string them for me when I decide how I want them. I wasn't sure if I would like them or not, or what length or size mm I wanted. I like to think things over a bit before I make a final decision (I am so not the impulse buyer :lol:) and I wanted to see how the pearls looked with the pearls I already have. I was surprised as I thought the shorter length would look better with my Akoya rope, but I really like it better with a longer length and then I could wear it with my turtleneck sweaters. I still have some mulling over to do...

SMC

Ideal_Rock
LitGeek|1387300867|3576176 said:

I like the Freshadamas too! I will send them to PP and they will string them for me when I decide how I want them. I wasn't sure if I would like them or not, or what length or size mm I wanted. I like to think things over a bit before I make a final decision (I am so not the impulse buyer :lol:) and I wanted to see how the pearls looked with the pearls I already have. I was surprised as I thought the shorter length would look better with my Akoya rope, but I really like it better with a longer length and then I could wear it with my turtleneck sweaters. I still have some mulling over to do...
Haha, don't you love our first world problems? Are you keeping both strands?

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Pattye|1387300062|3576165 said:
LitGeek, Outstanding gorgeous choices and thank you for the wonderful photos! :appl: :love: :appl: :love: :appl:

Thanks Pattye :wavey: I can't believe how much the metallics look like the Natural White Akoyas! I don't think I would be able to tell the difference between the two if it wasn't for the off round shape of the metallics.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous pearls! I'm partial to larger pearls too and those freshadamas are stunning! I think I would gon longer too just to wear them over turtlenecks as well as button down shirts. As for the metallics I have a very long white metallic rope that is so much fun to play with! Go for both and you'll have the flexibility to match any wardrobe challenge!

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
sortmon|1387301426|3576179 said:
LitGeek|1387300867|3576176 said:

Haha, don't you love our first world problems? Are you keeping both strands?

I will be buying a strand of metallics and a strand of freshadamas... Since my wSS earrings are so large I am going to go with the next larger size (9-9.5mm) freshadama strand. As for the metallics, Hisano will be looking for a 22" strand in freshadama quality for me. I am hoping she will be able to put one together on her next big buying trip this spring, but it is quite possible that I will be waiting longer. Good things come to those who wait right? In the meantime some 8-9 black freshwaters are on their way too :twirl: I hope to be as pleasantly surprised with the black freshwaters as I am with the white freshwaters!

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks pkinnew! I have decided to go with a 16" strand in the larger freshadama pearls (I am really petite and love the way the shorter strands look by themselves) and then do a 22" length on the metallics. I really like the draped look of the longer length with the akoya rope. It will be so fun to have new pearl strands to wear!

SMC

Ideal_Rock
LitGeek|1387313981|3576321 said:
Thanks pkinnew! I have decided to go with a 16" strand in the larger freshadama pearls (I am really petite and love the way the shorter strands look by themselves) and then do a 22" length on the metallics. I really like the draped look of the longer length with the akoya rope. It will be so fun to have new pearl strands to wear!
Yay, I have the larger Freshadamas and I love them! What overtone are you getting on your strand?

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
I would have a hard time deciding too. I do prefer the freshadama more due to the overtone not being slightly creamy like the metallic. Both are lovely. By itself probably the metallics look very white too. Glad to hear you are keeping both.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on photos alone, I prefer the Freshadamas as I am shape-sensitive as already mentioned previously, and prefer larger size pearls due to my age and size.

Nice photos by the way, and enjoy your new pearls, whichever you decide to keep.

DK :))

YC

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Litgeek, is there any difference in the luster between the two? Subtle or marked differences?

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
dk168|1387321000|3576391 said:
Based on photos alone, I prefer the Freshadamas as I am shape-sensitive as already mentioned previously, and prefer larger size pearls due to my age and size.

Nice photos by the way, and enjoy your new pearls, whichever you decide to keep.

Thanks! The Freshadamas are completely round to my eye and I prefer them as well. But if Hisano can find freshadama quality metallics I think they will be equally fantastic!

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
YC|1387321982|3576403 said:
Hi Litgeek, is there any difference in the luster between the two? Subtle or marked differences?

I think this metallic strand has stronger overtones (flashes of pink like the beautiful metallic souffles we are seeing photos of) and has that really sharp luster like akoya pearls. They are definitely more creamy like the natural white akoya vs. traditional akoya, but like HHPmom mentioned, on their own they look white.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
sortmon|1387316397|3576344 said:
Yay, I have the larger Freshadamas and I love them! What overtone are you getting on your strand?

I actually have a few choices (unstrung again) on their way...soft rose, silver rose, and (an almost but not quite metallic) strong silver overtone. I will see which looks best with my wSS pearls. Honestly if it wasn't for you posting the photos of your magnificent strand I wouldn't even have thought to try a freshadama strand! And I really prefer the look of your larger strand and think it will look lovely with my wSS earrings. When I had them sent I didn't realize how much of a difference a small step up in mm makes...thanks pearlsngems for your math figuring :wavey:

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
HHPmom|1387317115|3576354 said:
I would have a hard time deciding too. I do prefer the freshadama more due to the overtone not being slightly creamy like the metallic. Both are lovely. By itself probably the metallics look very white too. Glad to hear you are keeping both.

They really are two different looks...I will be thrilled to have both in my collection :twirl:

SMC

Ideal_Rock
LitGeek|1387324968|3576437 said:
sortmon|1387316397|3576344 said:

I actually have a few choices (unstrung again) on their way...soft rose, silver rose, and (an almost but not quite metallic) strong silver overtone. I will see which looks best with my wSS pearls. Honestly if it wasn't for you posting the photos of your magnificent strand I wouldn't even have thought to try a freshadama strand! And I really prefer the look of your larger strand and think it will look lovely with my wSS earrings. When I had them sent I didn't realize how much of a difference a small step up in mm makes...thanks pearlsngems for your math figuring :wavey:
Ooh, please post comparison pictures when you get them. I've very curious to see how the strong silver compares to the silver rose. I have the silver rose, but I've always been curious to see how it would compare to a pure silver strand.

YC

Brilliant_Rock
Litgeek, thanks for your reply. I own a strand of 8-8.5 white metallic and I agree the colour is very white and pops against my skin. the shape is slightly off round and if they have metallic freshadama, that will be the perfect strand. :lickout: But I can accept the slightly off round shape cos it is not very obvious when worn.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful, all of them. Interesting to see the creamier color of the metallics as well.

I also didn't realize that natural white Hanadama pearls are that dreamy, creamy color! Somehow I'd imagined them a starker white.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
pearlsngems|1387340278|3576613 said:
Beautiful, all of them. Interesting to see the creamier color of the metallics as well.

I also didn't realize that natural white Hanadama pearls are that dreamy, creamy color! Somehow I'd imagined them a starker white.
Me too! When I asked PP about the natural white Hanadama, they described them as being "more white" than the normal Hanadamas.

LitGeek, you have so many white pearls!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Great thread Litgeek. The photos of your new pearl comparing types, shapes , grades and colors is wonderful. I am curious, did you get a appraisal with the metallic? I am wondering what they say about them. Are they white with a cream overtone? They look creamer than the other pearls shown. I own white and cream metallic and they are very special pearls. I hope you enjoy what ever you do end up keeping for your collection.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks so much for posting the great pics. I was surprised to see the colour difference between the two strands. I would have guessed that the metallics would be the whiter strand. Very interesting. I'm with you on wanting the larger size...I lika da big ones! Beautiful pearls !

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
sortmon|1387352966|3576673 said:
pearlsngems|1387340278|3576613 said:

Me too! When I asked PP about the natural white Hanadama, they described them as being "more white" than the normal Hanadamas.

LitGeek, you have so many white pearls!

:lol: I told you I love white pearls and wasn''t sure how much I would wear the darker T strand!

I imagine each metallic and natural white handama strand is unique. My natural whites are definitely a candlelight white, very creamy and very dreamy as pearlsngems put it and they have green and rose overtones. They are really something special!

I will try to get some comparison shots of the different freshadama overtones :wavey:

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
YC|1387330659|3576502 said:
Litgeek, thanks for your reply. I own a strand of 8-8.5 white metallic and I agree the colour is very white and pops against my skin. the shape is slightly off round and if they have metallic freshadama, that will be the perfect strand. :lickout: But I can accept the slightly off round shape cos it is not very obvious when worn.

What a nice size! I am sure they are a beautiful strand :love: I wouldn't mind the off round shape if I wasn't going to be wearing them with my akoya rope...it makes it look decidedly less round, but on their own they do look round.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
NacreLover|1387356501|3576688 said:
Great thread Litgeek. The photos of your new pearl comparing types, shapes , grades and colors is wonderful. I am curious, did you get a appraisal with the metallic? I am wondering what they say about them. Are they white with a cream overtone? They look creamer than the other pearls shown. I own white and cream metallic and they are very special pearls. I hope you enjoy what ever you do end up keeping for your collection.

Thanks NL :wavey: I am not sure what the overtones on the metallics were, but there were definitely rose overtones. The strand was sent to me so I could see its amazing luster and decide if I wanted to go with freshadamas or wait for a larger mm strand of metallics (like the ones you got at the ruckus you lucky PQ :mrgreen: ). The metallics are so beautiful that I would love them in cream or white! I was surprised that even though these are very creamy, when I tried them on with my akoya rope the color difference wasn't really noticeable.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
katbran|1387357496|3576692 said:
Thanks so much for posting the great pics. I was surprised to see the colour difference between the two strands. I would have guessed that the metallics would be the whiter strand. Very interesting. I'm with you on wanting the larger size...I lika da big ones! Beautiful pearls !

I imagine it comes down to individual strands. I would guess some are very white and some are more cream just like white South Sea pearls. I asked to see the most lustrous strand and I have to say their luster was incredible IRL! I am sure if you could request a very white metallic strand :naughty:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did not win anything in last night's Mega Millions draw, otherwise I would dearly love to have a strand of natural blue Madamas!!! :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results