shape
carat
color
clarity

Freshadama vs AAA Metallic

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
SMC|1390495296|3599511 said:
Man, your pearls look awesome on you. More pictures please. :)

Thanks! After trying it on a few times, I decided to send it back to have it lengthened to 18" and I know I will love it even more. It just felt a little formal at the choker length and I have a pretty casual lifestyle. I will take more photos when I get it back. My two tahitian strand are both 16" and they don't feel formal at all...I guess the baroque shape lends it a more casual feel.

katbran|1390538929|3600039 said:
Necklace looks beautiful on you...just beautiful ! I swear...all these wonderful white pearl necklaces...I gots to get one! :lol:

Thank you! I think a simple white strand is a definite must-have :love: :love: :love:

SMC

Ideal_Rock
LitGeek|1390594990|3600502 said:
Thanks! After trying it on a few times, I decided to send it back to have it lengthened to 18" and I know I will love it even more. It just felt a little formal at the choker length and I have a pretty casual lifestyle. I will take more photos when I get it back. My two tahitian strand are both 16" and they don't feel formal at all...I guess the baroque shape lends it a more casual feel.
*squeal* - more pearls can't be a bad thing. I have the 18" freshies too in the same size, we can be pearl twins!

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
SMC|1390595157|3600508 said:
LitGeek|1390594990|3600502 said:
*squeal* - more pearls can't be a bad thing. I have the 18" freshies too in the same size, we can be pearl twins!

:twirl: :twirl: :twirl: More pearls is definitley a good thing :twirl: :twirl: :twirl:

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry to hear the length didn't work but pearls must be perfect!

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
pkinnew|1390605718|3600637 said:
Sorry to hear the length didn't work but pearls must be perfect!

I agree. I would rather get them just right now rather than having to replace them later.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I did exactly the same thing LG.

Started at about 15 and 1/2, cuz I have a long neck and pixie cut. It looked great for a while, but I wear jeans, Keens and wool sweaters most days of my life, so I thought the extra length would suit that better. Went to 18" and that works very well.

You could always get one of the doomahickey's that shorten pearls if you want a choker. Passages des Perles (a blog) has some nice ideas for shortening when needed. She used her Mother's vintage dragonfly brooch to shorten and it looks really great.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the tip Begonia :wavey: I am glad to hear you like your strand at the longer length. I am sure I will be much happier with mine too. Now I just have to "patiently" wait to get my beautiful pearls back :lol:

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
The next thing you might get interested in is pearl knotting :))

I'm a long-time beader and with the help of a few different forums (there is a great thread here somewhere - I'll look for it) learned how to knot. It's not as hard as you would think. Tension is key. My point is: I can go any old length I want, and have the strand that day. I sometimes do contrasting silk colors, depending on the overtones of the pearls. Like pink silk sometimes looks very pretty. I started knotting everything at one point. I have some lovely turquoise beads that I had knotted with red silk (turquoise and red coral go together very well ergo the choice of red). It was a fun period. You might be saying no way in hell at this point... :lol:

Chime in here Pattye, Nacrelover, 4Ranch...

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think that the slightly longer length is a bit more versatile tbh. I often find that people come to me and say they want a necklace to be 16" ... I give them one of each ( 16 18 ) to take home so they can try them on with various outfits. 9 out of 10 times they come back and say they want the 18" .

Those drops are so pretty..I think the drop is my favourite shape in earrings... necklaces....pendants.... it's just so graceful. I do love your new pearls ! :love:

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Begonia|1390694901|3601171 said:
The next thing you might get interested in is pearl knotting :))

I'm a long-time beader and with the help of a few different forums (there is a great thread here somewhere - I'll look for it) learned how to knot. It's not as hard as you would think. Tension is key. My point is: I can go any old length I want, and have the strand that day. I sometimes do contrasting silk colors, depending on the overtones of the pearls. Like pink silk sometimes looks very pretty. I started knotting everything at one point. I have some lovely turquoise beads that I had knotted with red silk (turquoise and red coral go together very well ergo the choice of red). It was a fun period. You might be saying no way in hell at this point... :lol:

Chime in here Pattye, Nacrelover, 4Ranch...
:lol: All I can add is :lol: when I try to knot. I took several hours worth of classes and at a Ruckus a couple of years ago Hisano gave a knotting class which NL, Pattye, HHPMom were the stars and it was decided by all that I am hopeless at knotting. More knots and tangles, what a mess and I was frustrated to boot. As luck would have it 2 of the stars do my restringing for me so I can reccomend them highly if you want to have restringing done well worth the price paid. BTY Pattye on etsy sells the best product that everyone likes.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Well, it's not for everyone... :lol: , but I took to it like a hot damn.

I found it meditative, in that I had to be mentally present when knotting. Focused.

I'll check out Pattye's product...it's been a couple of years...powerpro maybe?

Going to go look...

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Begonia|1390766984|3601591 said:

I found it meditative, in that I had to be mentally present when knotting. Focused.

Going to go look...
:lol: is right. I am all thumbs. Thank goodness for NL or Pattye to do it for me. I think Pattyes product is beaders secret not powerpro. There is a thread on here about it. I am glad you have fun doing it.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
katbran|1390695760|3601176 said:
I think that the slightly longer length is a bit more versatile tbh. I often find that people come to me and say they want a necklace to be 16" ... I give them one of each ( 16 18 ) to take home so they can try them on with various outfits. 9 out of 10 times they come back and say they want the 18" .

Those drops are so pretty..I think the drop is my favourite shape in earrings... necklaces....pendants.... it's just so graceful. I do love your new pearls ! :love:

Thanks katbran :wavey: I have to agree with you on the drop shape :love: there is just something really special about them. The ones Hisano selected for me are pure perfection and MUCH prettier IRL.

Funny thing is I used to make jewelry when my daughter was little and my favorite thing to make was knotted Swarovski pearl strands :lol: They were my best selling item and I had many custom orders for them. All of my beading supplies were packed away in a move and I have misplaced them. I might just have to order some new knotting tools along with some thread from Pattye and get on with it :geek: I admit I am a bit intimidated to try knotting really expensive pearls...

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
4Ranch Girl|1390779084|3601711 said:
Begonia|1390766984|3601591 said:

Going to go look...
:lol: is right. I am all thumbs. Thank goodness for NL or Pattye to do it for me. I think Pattyes product is beaders secret not powerpro. There is a thread on here about it. I am glad you have fun doing it.

With wonderful friends like yours to restring for you, there is no need for you to trouble yourself :twirl: :twirl: :twirl: You my friend have other talents when it comes to pearls and I still think you should become a professional personal pearl shopper!!!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Pattye's thread is Beaders Secret that she sells in one size... and a million colours. Fabulous shades of grey for Tahitians and a nice Forest Green for the ones that are green based. I highly recommend this product. It's a dream to knot as it's very slippery and the knot just slides into place. I find I do need to be a bit more careful with the 'tangle' issue but then i've been knotting long ropes and you know how much thread that is lying around...and I always have too much cause I'm paranoid about running short after all that work !

White, cream, shell, rose, soft pink, black and about every shade of grey are my colours that I use most often. I'm converted from PowerPro ... tho I still might try a combo just to see how it goes...I miss the great 'test' strength of PP on the long ones..(need to use 3-4 threads) .

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the color tips katbran! I would like to lengthen my blue-green Tahitian strand for winter (I already have the extra pearls), so I might have to give it a try myself.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Here are some mods of my strand lengthened :geek: I just love the versatility of this length. I can even wear it over my merino wool or cashmere turtlenecks.

18_22_freshies.jpg

wss_freshadama_everlane_2.jpg

SMC

Ideal_Rock
LitGeek|1393971621|3627488 said:
Here are some mods of my strand lengthened :geek: I just love the versatility of this length. I can even wear it over my merino wool or cashmere turtlenecks.

wss_freshadama_everlane_2.jpg

I love this look!!!

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
OMG, both looks are perfect. You look like a model out of a magazine!

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm - I thought I replied so if the ends up as a duplicate I apologize in advance! Or maybe the were so many OMG replies that I got zapped?!?!

I am breathless with the strand and the way you have styled it. It is a perfect size and length for you and the quality is obvious! I am so happy for you!

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
LitGeek I love both looks :appl: :appl: :appl: Very classic styling.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Very pretty litgeek. I like both styles, but the photo where the whole strand is showing really makes these pearls POP!

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Ladies for your kind words :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results