shape
carat
color
clarity

Freshadama 8.5-9.0 vs 9.0-9.5mm necklace

greenteabiscuit

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I am debating whether or not I should get the 8.5-9mm necklace or 9-9.5mm.
18" 8.5-9.0 mm Freshadama necklace is $847,
18" 9.0-9.5 mm $1150(ish)

Do you think the size difference is big enough that paying $300 More is worth it?

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, and here is why...because as you age the larger mm will transition with you. I have lots of big mm pearls but my first strand of 9mm akoyas I can still wear and not feel or look like they are to small thirty years later. I have a beautiful 8 - 8.5mm white AAA metallic strand that I put on and go "I wish they were just a little bigger" so I do not wear them as often.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Ranch Girl. If you can afford it, I'd get the larger size. It is a noticeable size difference.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Always bigger - if you can afford the difference I would definitely upsize for exactly the reasons 4RanchGirl mentions.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Remember, as well, that pearl mm size is not a linear measurement, it's a volume measurement. There is a visually noticeable difference between an 8.5 mm pearl and a 9.5 mm pearl.

However, personally, sometimes the smaller pearl will have better lustre.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The bigger the pearls, the longer they took to grow, increasing their chances of diseases and contaminations etc... Therefore, they are rarer than smaller pearls.

For visual impact, definitely bigger the better.

Therefore, if budget allows, go large for certain.

IMHO.

DK :))

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Definitely the biggest you can afford. It will be significantly bigger and appropriate throughout your life.

If they feel too big at first, just wait a few days. They will feel just right (and spoil you for smaller!).

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure I'm in the bigger is always better camp. I think that there is something to be said for making sure that what you get is proportional to you, and what drapes well on you, what feels most comfortable to you, and overall what you think looks best on you. It's a hard thing to figure out from buying online though. Personally I think when rounds get too large they don't suit me as well (I have a chubby neck, and have to compensate for this by going longer with larger sized pearls, otherwise the look is not flattering). And some people are more comfortable with statement pieces than others, whereas other people might prefer more classic and subtle. For $$$ pieces I tend to prefer classic; for fun pieces, give me big and visible every day.

That said, if you are wanting a larger sized strand, and think the larger of the two sizes is what you really want, then it's worth spending the extra few hundred to go larger now to prevent replacing your whole strand later. Or worse, not feeling able to justify the upgrade, and being disappointed with what you have.

I think POJ has an earring demo on a model, and Ashley's blog from Pure Pearls has a necklace comparison on a live model. That way you can see the difference one step up would make.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
What size pearls do you have now? If you don't have anything to compare to I would go with the larger mm.

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, the larger size is worth the difference in price. I got used to my mother's 10-11mm freshwaters very quickly...

In fact I'd like to get a strand of Akoya but I'm waiting until I can afford the larger sized ones, so I can be happy with them as I age.

greenteabiscuit

Rough_Rock
The only pearl jewelry I have is a pair of 7.5-8mm Freshadama studs.
I tried on 8-9mm, and 10-11mm off-round necklaces from T&Co, and pp's 8.5-9.5mm AAA metallic white freshwater necklace.
PP's necklace seemed to be the right size but I thought I could get used to something a little bigger.

Since the pearls in AAA metallic necklace were more/less oblong than round therefore appear smaller than perfectly round 8.5-9.5mm pearl necklace, I was wondering if 8.5-9mm Freshadama necklace would appear to be about the same size as the metallic necklace or if I need to get the 9-9.5mm Freshadama necklace to get a similar look.
I also want to choose a size that I can happily wear when I am much older. From reading bsomlo's posts, it seems like 8.5-9mm is also a good size :)

Because I am having a hard time selecting the size, I think I will ask PP and see if I want to get a necklace based on the orient/luster/shape...

Thanks for all your replies!

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
I had a really tough time choosing a size for my first Freshadama strand. LOL ultimately I fell in love with two of the strands that PP sent me and ended up with two necklaces. Here are some photos of my double strand and single strand to give you an idea of the size difference, hopefully it will help you choose. I think the 9-9.5 is the perfect size for a single strand.

Top strand is 7-8mm metallic and bottom strand is 8-9 Freshadama. The single strand is 9-9.5 Freshadama.
screen_shot_2014-01-07_at_8_2.png

tshirt_double.jpg

18_22_freshies.jpg

Here is a photo of the 9-9.5 before I had it lengthened to 18" in the above photo:
rose_fw_strand.jpg

One final photo wearing all three:
freshies_tripled.jpg

greenteabiscuit

Rough_Rock
Wow thanks LitGeek! Your pictures are extremely helpful. I decided to get 9-9.5mm Freshadama necklace.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LitGeek: I am totally drooling and jealous over your triple! That is fab! (and here I was thinking that I might not be a white pearl or a freshwater girl, and now I totally want a freshadama triple like yours!).

It's a nice comparison of sizes too!

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
pkinnew|1416245607|3785183 said:
I just LOVE the nested look! It makes me sigh...

And I have yet to wear it as a triple strand! I definitely will wear it this way over the holidays though. Bsomlo's triple whites did me in!

greenteabiscuit|1416245696|3785185 said:
Wow thanks LitGeek! Your pictures are extremely helpful. I decided to get 9-9.5mm Freshadama necklace.

Yay! I think you will be really happy with your choice! Congrats!!!

cmd2014|1416247677|3785213 said:
LitGeek: I am totally drooling and jealous over your triple! That is fab! (and here I was thinking that I might not be a white pearl or a freshwater girl, and now I totally want a freshadama triple like yours!).

It's a nice comparison of sizes too!

Thank you! LOL it is actually a double and a single strand worn together. You could say I have a thing for white pearls...SS, akoya, and freshwater, I love them all! There is just something about white pearls that makes my heart skip a beat.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I gotta say, LitGeek, I think we need you to post a bit more often to the What Am I wearing Today thread. You have some beautiful pearls there. :cheeky:

One additional thought, although I know that the OP has made up her mind. I sat down a few months ago with my now DIL to decide on specs for her wedding pearls as these pearls were a wedding gift from me to her. She liked the 8-8.5mm size for her wedding necklace. We ended up with 8.5-9mm because Hisano liked the particular freshadama strand that they had in stock in that size better. When the pearls arrived my new DIL could tell they were larger than what she would have chosen, but she adjusted quickly. I think she was very, very concious of how much the pearls cost. I had no problem with the larger size because I am at a point in my life where I am less price sensitive than she is. I think we need to remember that pearls are luxury items, and there are times where you go with what you can afford. Later in life you may be able to afford larger and better. When we answer questions on this board we speak to the pearls, but of course, part of the answer is you need to choose what you can afford now. (Which, of course, several posters have mentioned.)

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Greenteabiscuit, please please post pics when you get it, as I am trying to decide whether to keep my 8.5-9mm metallics or save for the 9.5mm Freshadama!

I think you will like the size. When I first saw my 9-9.5mm Freshadama studs I thought they were ridiculously large....but then I got used to them real quick! Now I feel great in them.

I'm even considering the 9.5-10.5mm Freshadama necklace, next time there's a 20% sale (instead of the metallics). :Up_to_something:

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
LitGeek -- the double and single make a gorgeous triple!!! Do they stay nested like that, though?!

Each of your pieces is a well-thought-out beauty. You should post more often.

How about a current neckshot of your incredible Keira-ish strand! It's one of my all-time favorite necklaces.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
LitGeek :wavey:
So happy to see you post. I know I have said this to you before but the double strand with the 2 different mm sizes is so very, very elegant. I hope you wear and enjoy these beauties often.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Fly Girl|1416257904|3785344 said:
I gotta say, LitGeek, I think we need you to post a bit more often to the What Am I wearing Today thread. You have some beautiful pearls there. :cheeky:

Thanks Fly Girl! I will try to get some shots soon.

bsomlo|1416275836|3785508 said:
LitGeek -- the double and single make a gorgeous triple!!! Do they stay nested like that, though?!

Each of your pieces is a well-thought-out beauty. You should post more often.

How about a current neckshot of your incredible Keira-ish strand! It's one of my all-time favorite necklaces.

Thank you b! I will have to try wearing them as a triple...I will try them today and let you know how well they play together. :geek: And as soon as I can get some sunshine I will take another photo of my asymmetrical strand for you.

4Ranch Girl|1416286710|3785574 said:
LitGeek :wavey:
So happy to see you post. I know I have said this to you before but the double strand with the 2 different mm sizes is so very, very elegant. I hope you wear and enjoy these beauties often.

Thank you very much 4RG! I am so glad I listened to Hisano and didn't chicken out at the last minute and go for the double strand in the same size instead. I do love this necklace so much and appreciate that with the mixed sizes it can be worn casually too.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Jambalaya|1416273513|3785485 said:
Greenteabiscuit, please please post pics when you get it, as I am trying to decide whether to keep my 8.5-9mm metallics or save for the 9.5mm Freshadama!

I think you will like the size. When I first saw my 9-9.5mm Freshadama studs I thought they were ridiculously large....but then I got used to them real quick! Now I feel great in them.

I'm even considering the 9.5-10.5mm Freshadama necklace, next time there's a 20% sale (instead of the metallics). :Up_to_something:

Since you are still thinking about the 9.5 size, I would send the metallics back and keep saving to get the larger Freshadamas instead.

LOL I know what you mean about getting used to large pearl studs very quickly. When I first received my 8.6mm akoya studs I thought the same thing, and then after a few months of wearing them I felt like I wanted something larger too. I ended up ordering 11-12mm wSS studs and I adore them! I still love my akoyas too though! :wink2:

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
LitGeek, what a delight to see your lovely pearls again! That nested set in 2 sizes was one of the first sets of pearls on the forums that made me gasp out loud when I saw it ... and it was the inspiration for the sizes and lengths of Tahitians I got at the Ruckus, so I could wear my 2 strands in the same fashion, one small nested inside one larger. While I do wear the Tahitians alone, and together as a rope, nested as yours are is my favorite ... THANKS!

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
CRDKeshi|1416326496|3785782 said:
LitGeek, what a delight to see your lovely pearls again! That nested set in 2 sizes was one of the first sets of pearls on the forums that made me gasp out loud when I saw it ... and it was the inspiration for the sizes and lengths of Tahitians I got at the Ruckus, so I could wear my 2 strands in the same fashion, one small nested inside one larger. While I do wear the Tahitians alone, and together as a rope, nested as yours are is my favorite ... THANKS!

Thank you, you are so sweet! Do you have any photos of your Tahitians? I would love to see them!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Litgeek - I would send the metallics back, but although they are not quite large and round enough, I adore the glassy luster! I can't afford a 10mm Hanadama strand, which is the look I really like, so to some extent I will have to choose between high luster (metallics) and the nice fat roundness/size of the Freshadamas. I love my Freshadama studs but I can't pretend that the satiny luster pleases me as much as the high-gloss look of metallics and Hanadama.

I might order a large Freshadama strand now in order to compare with the metallics I've already got. I'm just trying to decide between 9-9.5 and 9.5-10mm. Not sure how much difference there will be, but the price difference is significant - over $500!

LitGeek - I forgot to say,all your pearls are s.t.u.n.n.i.n.g!!

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Jambalaya|1416332670|3785820 said:
I might order a large Freshadama strand now in order to compare with the metallics I've already got. I'm just trying to decide between 9-9.5 and 9.5-10mm. Not sure how much difference there will be, but the price difference is significant - over $500!

$500? I know what I would do. *cough*

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI Ennui - I know what you mean! And even if I wait for a 20% coupon, not sure I want over $1200 invested in a string of pearls...but then, if I wear them for three decades....oh, decisions! I chatted to Chenai at PP and she says there is a significant difference in size of the two strands. She is going to send me a photo of the two side by side, so I will post it here so everyone can see. :wavey:

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Jambalaya|1416336602|3785864 said:
HI Ennui - I know what you mean! And even if I wait for a 20% coupon, not sure I want over $1200 invested in a string of pearls...but then, if I wear them for three decades....oh, decisions! I chatted to Chenai at PP and she says there is a significant difference in size of the two strands. She is going to send me a photo of the two side by side, so I will post it here so everyone can see. :wavey:

Now I don't have any inside info here but just a reminder....Black Friday, Cyber Monday and the last few weeks before Christmas are coming up and there might be something offered maybe only %15. Just be ready to act fast on those special discount days.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results