shape
carat
color
clarity

First time pearl buyer! NEED HELP!!

A

Andromeda

Hello everybody!

I have been a looooooong time lurker here and on pearl-guide and would like to thank all of you from the bottom of my heart for being so informative and friendly to newbees like me! :))

I would really love to own a pair of pearl earrings and a pearl necklace, but am totally confused on what kind to buy! I am 25, 5'3"-ish and olive complexion with black hair. After a lot of consideration and read-ups I decided white pearls with silver overtone will probably look best on me (any advice will be greatly appreciated and welcome :)) ). But I am not sure what designs to go for. I really liked these kind of designs for earrings:

http://www.helzberg.com/product/pearl+earrings+1897990.do?sortby=bestSellers&from=fn#tab_01
http://www.americanpearl.com/st80265bfw7.html
http://www.americanpearl.com/catpg37e1.html

I especially loved the third one! But after reading through some topics, I understood that it is not very advisable to buy from American Pearls and I am not sure how good Honora pearls are. I am a big fan of Pearl Paradise pearls though, but they don't have such designs. I am totally confused and feeling helpless. It would be great if you pearl gurus could help me out! Is there a site where I can buy great quality pearls in the kind of designs that I am after?

Also I am totally confused what kind/length/size necklace will be the best bet for me :confused: :confused: :confused:

Also if you could show me your collections that you bought from those sites, it would be amazing! I live in San Francisco, so if there are any local jewelers who you would like to suggest, I will totally check them out too :)

Thank you all for your help in advance! And thank you so much for being so patient with me and reading it all!

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
I don't know if I can be much help regarding where to buy those styles -- but I wanted to comment that the style that pleases you is so retro and cute! When I clicked on your links I was very surprised that a young person had chosen those styles. I think you will look beautiful wearing any of those three! Keep us posted on the hunt and do post ear and neck shots once you've purchased! Now I want earrings like those!!!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I guess I am confused.
You are looking for a strand of white pearls with silver overtones but post three pairs of earrings , only one of the three even come with that choice as an option. 9mm to 5mm, Button to round, akoya to freshwater. I will sugguest you look for a strand and match the pearls in the earrings to that. Look for the same size. shape.color.type. quality and overtone. You say you live in SF. I am sure you can find a fine jewelelry store that sells high quality pearls. Mikimoto perhaps? Go there and ask to see their pearls with silver overtones. You can see the difference between freshwater and akoya,, try different mm sizes and lengths on for scale, and see the different grades of pearls, then the sticker shock they go for. After that you should be ready to buy. I see you like styles from the 1990s. You may have trouble finding matching pearls to coordinate unless you remove the existing pearls and have a vendor replace them with like pearls.

A

Andromeda

Thanks bsomlo! I will definitely post pictures =)

Thanks NacreLover! I guess I will not wear the earring and the necklace together as a set, at least for a long time form now! I love those kind of designs in earrings but am undecided on necklaces. I moved to SF last year and really don't know of any good local jewelers. What is the most versatile style and length of pearl necklaces, something that can be teamed up with jeans or skirts or dresses alike (I am not too much into formal wear and I am petite)? Also if those kind of earring designs are out of fashion, will it be wise to buy them as the first pair, since I plan to give them a lot of wear too?

I am really sorry if my questions go in all directions :(sad I am a real novice :(sad :(sad :(sad

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The earrings are a straightforward make for any goldsmith. To get the best pair possible at a good price I recommend you track down a local goldsmith who can make the earrings for you. Get the pearls from a top quality supplier such as Pearl Paradise where you know you will get great pearls. You'll need buttons because of the style. hand the pearls to the jeweller and he or she will easily make a bezel and post.

YC

Brilliant_Rock
Andromeda, welcome. You have asked some very difficult questions about the necklace simply cos there is no right or wrong answers. It boils down to your habitus, personal preference and budget. I think you need to go to any jeweler who has a reasonable stock of pearls and try the necklaces so to have an idea which necklace length and size of pearls suit you. You won't know until you set the pearls and try them on. Sorry, never been to sf so no recommendations from me. I am petite and my 'workhorse' stands are single strands between 16 -17 inches long but that is me. You may get different opinions speaking to others.

LtypeI

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Welcome to the pearl addiction! I think you'll probably get sucked in pretty quickly :)

I'm not help re: earrings except to say that I really like that style. I would advise maybe trying on a few pairs first, so you can get an idea of what size you like. I think you can find costume pearl earrings in that size at department stores or on Etsy, just to give you the opportunity to see what size you like/what size feels comfortable. They may be a bit heavy if you go too big. At that point I think you could get a jeweler to custom make a pair. I haven't looked at stock settings, but maybe Stuller has something?

As for necklace styles, the sky is the limit! Personally, I love 35-37" necklaces for versatility, since you can wear them long or doubled depending on your neckline, or twist them into a torsade. There are so many ways to wear that length, and I think it can work for casual wear, too. But it really depends on your preference. Again with my recs to check out costume stuff first to try out some lengths - I always see glass pearl strands at places like Nordstrom Rack or Macy's, so you can pick up different lengths for pretty cheap and wear them around to see what feels best on.

In my opinion, a large part of the beauty of pearls is how they feel - their weight feels decadent. You won't get that from faux pearls, as they're usually pretty light, but at least you'll get a feel for the smoothness.

Good luck! And please show us pics of what you pick :)

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
I love your description of pearls - their weight is definitely decadent!!!

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
Andromeda - I'm a newbie too!! Isn't this forum awesome?

I can't help much with the earrings but if you want to be blown away by pearls you can go to Shreve's. Major sticker shock warning, though!

A

Andromeda

Pearlescence: That sounds like a great idea! :))

YC: Thanks! I was also thinking of a 16-17 inch necklace to start with, probably if 7.5-8mm freshadama or some baroque! Yes! I am a very confused person and thanks to all the amazingly awesome pearls I see here, it is so hard to zero in on one! What do you suggest as the first necklace? My necklace budget is about $500 :ugeek: ( :love: :love: :love: the smileys here!!)

LtypeI: I already am! Even after a long day, I get to my bed, turn on my tablet and watch pearl jewelry and forums for hours! I had thought of 16-17 inch necklace but now you have got me thinking! I checked out the 37 inch ropes and they look so amazing! There are so many different ways one can style them and get a completely different look! :love: :love: The search is nowhere near over anymore :tongue: Right now I am using faux pearls for the past few weeks to get a feel of what I will be able to pull off!

pkinnew: Welcome! This is such a awesome forum with such amazing people! And WHAT HAVE YOU DONE! I am totally totally blown away by the designs! :love: :love: :love: Even though can't afford them right now, I am bookmarking it for future purchases! :Up_to_something:

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome :wavey: I personally love the earring style you are looking at! I think it is a classic, timeless and elegant, and one you will reach for often. I would love a pair of these myself :love: :love: :love:

I would call Pearl Paradise and have them do a custom order for you. Here are some findings to look at from Stuller:

http://www.stuller.com/browse/mountings/earrings/for-pearls/mabe

PP will order in the setting from Stuller and choose and set the pearls for you. At the same time they can select a freshwater strand to match the pearls. My preference would be a 16" Freshadama strand.

Hope this helps :geek:

YC

Brilliant_Rock
Andromeda|1385405899|3562644 said:
Pearlescence: That sounds like a great idea! :))

YC: Thanks! I was also thinking of a 16-17 inch necklace to start with, probably if 7.5-8mm freshadama or some baroque! Yes! I am a very confused person and thanks to all the amazingly awesome pearls I see here, it is so hard to zero in on one! What do you suggest as the first necklace? My necklace budget is about $500 :ugeek: ( :love: :love: :love: the smileys here!!):

Once you get started, you will probably continue to buy more and more stands of pearls of various types, colors, sizes, lengths etc. Most of us here have been down the road and it does not help that so many beautiful pearl jewelry posted here inspire me to get more and more. ;)) is there a specific color you are after? I think that freshadamas r very good quality pearls to start with. I see that they had metallic freshadama but r now out of stock. Their regular metallic pearls have very nice luster but from my limited exper ience, are slightly off round. Maybe others who have compared the metallics and freshadama can advise on the differences. PP should be having the black Friday andcyber Monday sales - get onto their e- mailing list to get notified.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Why dont you email PP and send them a photo of the setting that you like...they might be able to get it or have it made for you. Also ask them about the pearls. It's a good idea to go have a look at a store and see them in person..I'm sure that there will be a lot of jewelers in SF who stock high end pearls.

A

Andromeda

LitGeek: Thank you! And you are a mind-reader and saviour! I adore the designs at Stuller :love: :love: I had no idea we can ask PP to custom the earring findings!

YC: I know! I have been totally hooked to pearls now! I check pricescope and pearl-guide more often than I check my emails! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: There are so many amazing pieces, you can keep drooling over them for hours on end! :lickout: I have tried out a few different color pearls (read faux pearls!) and somehow felt that the white pearls with silver overtone really pop compared to my olive skin tone and black hair and black eyes! I truly love tahitians but somehow they are not so visible when I wear them, kind of blend in! Pricescope are sold out on metallic freshadamas :((

katbran: That is such a kool idea! I will email them a few of the amazing Stuller designs LitGeek sent me and ask if it is possible for them to customize my earrings :))

Also I am planning to go shop-hopping to try out earrings of different designs in the jewelry stores nearby to get a feel of them. I was also thinking of 7.5-8mm freshadama necklace in white color with silver overtone in 16" (although I am not sure which overtones are abundant in the PP inventory right now :roll: ) Do you think 7.5-8mm size is a good size for everyday use as well as good for a girls'-night-out kind of occasions? I am definitely going to give both the necklace and earrings a lot of wear :lol: :lol: Pearl search and shopping is turning out to be such an enjoyable activity :love: :love: :love:

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Andromeda|1385488008|3563273 said:
Also I am planning to go shop-hopping to try out earrings of different designs in the jewelry stores nearby to get a feel of them. I was also thinking of 7.5-8mm freshadama necklace in white color with silver overtone in 16" (although I am not sure which overtones are abundant in the PP inventory right now :roll: ) Do you think 7.5-8mm size is a good size for everyday use as well as good for a girls'-night-out kind of occasions? I am definitely going to give both the necklace and earrings a lot of wear :lol: :lol: Pearl search and shopping is turning out to be such an enjoyable activity :love: :love: :love:

Hi! I ordered the PP Freshadama 9.0-9.5mm necklace in 16" and I sent it back because it was too short. If you plan on wearing it with a crewneck, the 16" looks sort of weird. I also ordered matching studs and matching drop earring jackets.

I'm petite (5'3, 115) so I thought that the 16" would be long enough for me, but it wasn't.

Here's a picture of the 16":
photo__15_4.jpg

Just wanted to let you know, you may decide that the 16" is perfectly acceptable.

A

Andromeda

sortmon|1385592563|3564185 said:
Andromeda|1385488008|3563273 said:

Hi! I ordered the PP Freshadama 9.0-9.5mm necklace in 16" and I sent it back because it was too short. If you plan on wearing it with a crewneck, the 16" looks sort of weird. I also ordered matching studs and matching drop earring jackets.

I'm petite (5'3, 115) so I thought that the 16" would be long enough for me, but it wasn't.

Here's a picture of the 16":
photo__15_4.jpg

Just wanted to let you know, you may decide that the 16" is perfectly acceptable.

Thanks Sortmon for the heads-up! I actually tried out a few necklaces of different lengths and realized that though 16" will look very pretty with dresses, an 18" necklace will probably suit my jeans and t-shirt lifestyle better! :)) :))

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I find very few people wear the 16" size..18" seems far more flexible...then the next one can be 20" and the next one 22" .....it's a slippery slope lol

You mentioned Pearl Guide - I'm on there alot as it is a great source of information. They are almost all pearl professionals ... sellers/wholesalers/store owners/researchers/pearl farmers and some very knowledgeable customers ... so there is a very wide range of knowledge available to the reader. Also they have a beading section which is great for asking questions about DIY projects. I would certainly trust them with suggestions as to what to buy and where to buy it.

A

Andromeda

DH ordered 7.5-8.0mm freshadama necklace for my birthday! Eagerly waiting for it to arrive! 8) 8) 8)

Thank you everybody for helping me through the decision! Will post pictures soon!! :wavey:

A very happy thanksgiving to all of you :))

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Andromeda|1385857299|3565361 said:
DH ordered 7.5-8.0mm freshadama necklace for my birthday! Eagerly waiting for it to arrive! 8) 8) 8)

Thank you everybody for helping me through the decision! Will post pictures soon!! :wavey:

Yay, congrats! The waiting is the hardest part. My Freshadamas shipped on Friday and they should be here on Wednesday!

A

Andromeda

sortmon|1385887977|3565525 said:

Yay, congrats! The waiting is the hardest part. My Freshadamas shipped on Friday and they should be here on Wednesday!

Congratulations sortmon! 3 more days to go for you! Eagerly waiting for your glamshots! :love: :love:

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
Andromeda & sortmom - I agree about the waiting part but it is so worth it when you open the package! Can't wait to see your freshadamas!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Vicarious shopping .... love it ! Can't wait to see your pearls !!!

A

Andromeda

Me neither 8) 8)

But my pearls did not even ship yet and I am refreshing the page every 5 minutes!

sortmon should have received hers yesterday though :appl:

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Andromeda|1386271002|3568224 said:
Me neither 8) 8)

But my pearls did not even ship yet and I am refreshing the page every 5 minutes!

Nope, I'm getting mine today. I thought it was yesterday too since they shipped on Friday, but my package didn't get picked up until Monday.

A

Andromeda

sortmon|1386271113|3568227 said:
Me neither 8) 8)

Nope, I'm getting mine today. I thought it was yesterday too since they shipped on Friday, but my package didn't get picked up until Monday.

Yay sortmon! :appl:

Glamshots time now :love: :love:

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock

Congrats! That is a great size and you will be so happy you chose the freshadamas! Hope you love it!

sortmon|1386271113|3568227 said:
Me neither 8) 8)

Looking forward to your review and photos!

A

Andromeda

Update:

Pearls shipped! I am going to lose a few pounds now in anticipation till they arrive! Will post pics as soon i get my hands on them!!

Lots of love to all of you for helping me choose them :love: :love: :love:

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Andromeda|1386377638|3569164 said:
Update:

Pearls shipped! I am going to lose a few pounds now in anticipation till they arrive! Will post pics as soon i get my hands on them!!

Lots of love to all of you for helping me choose them :love: :love: :love:

Yay! Hoping they arrive super quickly :twirl:

A

Andromeda

I think they should arrive by Monday or Tuesday! Can hardly wait any longer!! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results