shape
carat
color
clarity

First-time pearl buyer- best website?

flame2fire

Rough_Rock
Hi all!
First time pearl buyer here- I'm actually buying these as a gift, and am interested in getting a very classic string of white pearls for a friend who greatly deserves them. I'm looking to spend around $400 so it seems that we have a lot of options- I've done some research on grading and whatnot, but I'm wondering if you guys have a recommendation for an online merchant with a good reputation? My husband thinks we should shop for them "in person" but I think it's probably something that we will get a way better deal for online, plus I don't really even know how to discern good from bad visually. I'm really not a pearl wearer myself, and she is not a collector or aficionado so just something pretty for special occasion wear is perfect.
I realize this is super vague- can you point me in the right direction?
Thanks so much!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Your average jewelry store will have commercial grade pearls or if you're lucky some pearls that have been graded. Either way, they are not the hot seller in the store so buying them for the public is just a courtesy for a small niche, so don't expect much.

I like to buy at either Pearl Paradise, The Pearl Outlet or The Pearl Source. All offer great pearls at great prices and excellent customer service and return policies. $400.00 will get you a great quality freshwater pearl necklace. or a three piece set.
http://www.pearlparadise.com/Most-Popular-Freshwater-Pearls-349.aspx?page=2

Freshadama is the top of the line freshwater pearls. There are freshadama earrings in another section if you want to add to the strand.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I went with Catherine for my first pearl purchase.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
I buy most of my pearls from Pearl Paradise. Their customer service is fantastic and their pearls are top notch!

I also have ordered from Catherine Cardellini and Kojima pearls and have been thrilled with my purchases. They both sell very unique and beautiful pieces!

I have not ordered anything from Pearls of Joy yet, but I would order without hesitation if something caught my eye...I am very tempted by the cherry/peacock tahitian pendants they have in right now :love: :love: :love:

Pattye

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Flame2fire,

As you are looking for "round white" pearls, like others have mentioned, I'd recommend Pearl Paradise. Great customer service and many choices~far more than a B&M will have. Happy shopping!

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have really good experience also with Amrita by Harmony Pearls! http://www.harmonypearls.com
If you are looking for white round pearls, it is a really good alternative! Her service is very good, and the shipping is quickly!

jenncent

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Pattye|1378833504|3517980 said:
Flame2fire,

As you are looking for "round white" pearls, like others have mentioned, I'd recommend Pearl Paradise. Great customer service and many choices~far more than a B&M will have. Happy shopping!

+1 I love Catherine or Kojima for colours and textures, but I would get freshdamas from PearlParadise if you want classic.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results